Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Weather

Options
  • 09-12-2022 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I am sitting at Dublin airport because of this

Delays/cancellations at Dublin Airport this morning (Fri, 09 Dec) due to severe ice overnight

Due to severe ice overnight, a small number of Ryanair flights from Dublin Airport have been delayed/cancelled this morning (Fri, 09 Dec).

Affected customers have been notified and advised of their options.

We sincerely apologise to affected customers for these weather-related cancellations/delays which are entirely beyond our control.

The deicing of planes is a known technology. From previous encounters with this, I understand that if temperatures are extremely low then there is a problem as planes have to be de-iced just before takeoff, otherwise they would freeze again. But today it is only -1C maybe -2C not low temperatures even by Irish standards, you have several frosty days every December. Afrer a good year in many ways, Ryanair have not enhanced their repututation with this.

A second issue is airlines claiming that something is "beyond their control", when clearly that is not true.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭CPTM

I'm surprised there aren't more comments about this on boards. People waiting on planes for up to 6 hours. There was a flight to Alicante which was due to take off at 1pm today and it has been delayed until 22.30pm. Imagine the parents with babies and toddlers trying to handle that :-/

Will there be any improvement over the weekend, or do yous think this will last the whole of this cold spell, right into next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Housemate was booked on a Lufthansa flight to Germany from Dublin this afternoon. Currently in Zurich airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭lizzyjane

A complete and utter shambles. There was even trains cancelled in Dublin today ever a bit of ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I was on flight EI233 from LGW to Dub today, original Dep 11.05. Was sitting in the terminal for three hours, then on the aircraft on the ground for three hours, and eventually taking off at 17:00.

Before getting in the air, I was looking at Flight Radar and all the arrivals into Dublin. A couple of hold patterns at most so knew when we got going shouldn't be too bad.

Interestingly, this was the fight path at low speed for EI233 today arriving into Dublin. Not a usual hold at LAPMO. Thought it was worth sharing.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This is a very worrying development for me, aside from flights booked for a few days from now.

Snow fell around 24 hours ago and there hasn't been any precipitation at the airport since. Sub-zero mornings are a common feature of Irish weather in winter, how could so many flights end up cancelled by this? It's going to be just as cold tomorrow and for the coming days, are dozens of flights from Dublin Airport going to be cancelled every single day???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I presume there is no chance of EU comp on these. Ryanair 8018 to Paris. Scheduled to go at 12:30. We got ten hours of delays before they threw in the towel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Typical Ireland! A little snow and ice and everything grinds to a halt. DAA is a shambles. Before everyone says it’s not DAA, they allow the contracts. One de-icing machine? Seriously?

im in the states and knew about this days ago. Why were they not prepared?

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail….. lessons will be learned…unforeseen circumstances….freak weather event…..any other excuses going to be used?

P.S. we had snow and ice last night 3 inches on ice, I drove up my driveway (a hill) I salted last night to I could get out this morning… not a big deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭CPTM

It's not the DAA is it? I think it's the airlines that are responsible for the de-icing machines. 95 per cent of the impacted flights were Ryanair apparently.

Looking at the Dublin airport departure boards here, it's seems to have been a slightly cleaner start to the day today. A lot of flights are either taking off on time or are cancelled altogether. At least people aren't waiting around in airports (so far).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

This weather was not freak, it is normal for December. It was not unforeseen, it was predicted accurately. There is no excuse for the Ryanair schedule collapsing., they are good at blaming airports or air traffic controllers for problems but should look at themselves for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Aer Lingus were a mess aswell yesterday don't know where 95% Ryanair impact has come from?

I find it hard to believe the DAA can claim they have no responsibility in operations running smoothly at their own airport by ensuring their airlines had contingency planning in place over a week long build up to these cold temperatures to ensure the airlines had sufficient de-icers available/ready/working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭lizzyjane

I would of assumed it was down entirely to the DAA what infrastructure is available at the airport?

Its like driving to a garage and the mechanic asking you did you bring the tools to service your car.

I find it odd its down to the airlines, is this a worldwide thing?

Post edited by Tenger on

• I’ve flown out of many ice-bound airports in Oslo, Buchurest, Istanbul etc. A system like a “car wash” is set up on approach to active runway, and it works very well. At small airports, eg Kirkenes at the top of Norway the de-icing is done at the stand, just as aircraft is about to depart on short taxi to runway. In Dublin all the de-icing is done at the stand, which is just not acceptable at a busy airport.

In addition at Dublin, systems were not tested ahead of the onset of adverse conditions. At a busy airport that is subject to episodes of icing, periodic testing should be routine between October and spring. It really is not excusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

At any airport bigger than a regional shed, yes, ground handling is done by handling firms and they own and supply the kit

And yesterday the bulk of the problems were with an airline that actually has their own handling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

You can be sure that the two main airlines have regular meetings with the airport about various things including whether setting up remote de-icing would work better. I have absolutely no doubt that this would increase costs and as a result the airlines said no especially as snowy conditions are rare here. Frosty conditions are common but this can be done easily by de-icing aircraft before crew or passengers arrive at the aircraft and works well most of the time.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Yeah that's the story with EU comp?

Two of my RYR flights were cancelled yesterday and this morning. Well my first flight eventually took off 8hours late.

I got to Italy a short time ago with Aer Lingus but paid very dearly for it.

Surely Ryanair can't claim that -2.5 degrees and 2cm of snow is an exceptional circumstance. It's absolutely not and they had ample warning from Met Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

They most likely will claim it was extraordinary circumstances because of the weather and not the fact they hadn't enough de-icing trucks, fluid or trained staff.

They rarely admit guilt even when it's blatant. However you should absolutely put in a compo claim and then take it to the small claims court if rejected.

• Agree DAA have a responsibility here to maintain their operations. Complete incompetence to ensure contingency plans not in place. They've been quick across all social media channels including here to point the blame at airlines. I work in a very different sector (finance) but we have legal agreements in place with our service providers to ensure that they are resilient and have sufficient plans in place to deal with disruptive events.

You would expect an airport to have similar but especially with the largest operator in the place but hey ho.

The DAA can't fully absolve themselves from this as they are at pains to do. A **** show and absolute embarrassment. 140 affected flights or whatever is beyond belief and along with the summer disruption as an organization they really need to get their act together.

• The entire Dublin Airport ops is affected by any missing pieces in the jigsaw which individually may be contributed by individual airlines, but it works as a whole. There’s only so much space for aircraft and passengers to move around, and it starts to be one somewhat a health & safety issue when DAA fails to ensure it practices due diligence in how it works along with the airlines.

My own thinking is that Dublin Airport’s actual operating needs are outgrowing its land area. Watching in FlightRadar24 I today see incoming aircraft stuck behind departing aircraft at certain bottlenecks. As the old saying goes “if I were designing it I wouldn’t start from here” . I observe only 27L has been in operation, obviously not wasting de-icing on 27R. As far as I can see there’s not much space near 27L to position a mobile de-icing station.

I heard Brendan O’Connor this morning questioning why aircraft would need de-icing (or ice prevention) at all, “like they get ice when they get up there” 🙄 In the name of the Lord, has he never heard of in-flight de-icing or catastrophes caused caused by failure to activate such systems as well as deal with ice accumulation on critical surfaces of standing aircraft.

Last Aer Lingus accident was causing by ice accretion. 1989 as far as I recall, a Shorts 360 in England which stalled on approach and ended up in a field. Fortunately a low energy impact and worst injury was a broken ankle upon egress. I remember in the 1980s travelling on a Shorts not king before that accident and observing stalactites of ice off trailing edge of wings. Having trained as small aircraft pilot, I was mightily concerned att.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

It is a form of misrepresentation in that they take bookings for winter flights in the full knowledge that they do not have the de-icing capacity. Everyone knows that it will freeze some nights in the winter, it is 53.4° N, and while heavy snow is unusual showers of snow with a cm or so are not unusual either.

It seems false economy to me, they will have paid out a 7 figure sum in compo when a de-icing truck and someone to operate it would cost less.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭x567

Interesting to try to think this through from a who-is-responsible perspective.

Presumably the airport operator needs to keep the airport functioning; ie the runways, taxiways, aprons and stands are clear of snow and ice; and capable of use. For an airport of Dublin's national importance, any failures in this regard are becoming less and less excusable, so perhaps there should be more consequences when they are at fault. To a sensible degree, DAA's snow & ice clearance capability needs to be proportionate to the weather risk however; otherwise airport charges will be higher, but sensible capacity measures such as having tractors and their drivers that can mow the grass in summer and clear snow when needed should mitigate the costs. Comparisons to airports in much colder locations aren't really appropriate as the risk and cost-balance in those climates is different; but there is an argument that as an airport gets more economically important, busier and therefore more prone to the disruptive impact of bad weather, that the airport should carry more prudent levels of capacity so that they can minimise disruption to operations in almost all reasonably foreseeable conditions.

The airlines, one would think(?), should be responsible for making sure their aircraft can fly to schedule from an open and functioning airfield - ie managing the de-icing, either directly for a major self-managing operator at the airport, or via a handling agent. Therefore there should either be a risk-assessed de-icing capacity for the self-managing airline or an agreed service level agreement between the airline and agent; with a better, higher capacity service obviously therefore having a cost impact. Either way, operator-specific needs (such as the frosting effect of cold fuel in recently-arrived long-haul aircraft that are turning around quickly - such as the EI321Neos) would need to be factored in by the airline. Presumably this is a difficult cost balance for airlines with bases in our normally relatively temperate climate - too much cold-weather capacity gives you a cost disadvantage; not enough leads to ****-show days and reputational damage (but do some of the airlines really care in what is really a duopoly situation?). Similarly, scheduling with in-built allowance for de-icing time which may not be needed will have negative economic impacts.

I guess the logical conclusion overall is that our airports should remain open and, in all reasonably-foreseeable weather conditions, fully-functional; but we can't expect to have reasonably cheap fares from the airlines without a degree of capacity-related disruption when the weather is colder than is statistically normal. If we want perfection in all weathers, it will come at a cost to the consumer.

I'm not saying that yesterday was acceptable at all - I suffered a frustrating and lengthy delay to tag on to the end of what had already been a 14 hour-long trip - and having paid a pretty hefty long-haul ticket price, it was very annoying to have an 'oh, everything in and out of Ireland is badly delayed today because it's been a bit frosty' explanation given to you in Heathrow...

• Advertisement

The likes of the airport needs a plan, and not just wringing its hands. For instance, in relation to snow clearance there are probably plenty of agricultural contractors in North Dublin who wouldn't be doing much in December or January and who would do a deal with the DAA to move their tractors to the airport where they could be fitted with a snow plough. Heavy snow is a real problem in any country and we could have a Beast from the East or the like every generation, but -2C temperatures and 1cm of snow is not a once in a generation event it is a once winter month event and should not even be noticed by the travelling public.

The DAA have got the security queues under control and the once disgusting toilets are now being cleaned, but they need to coordinate things so that weather is only an issue in truly unusual events.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is no shortage of kit to clear the airfield, and it was kept clear all the time.

The airlines and their handlers are 100% at fault here

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

The DAA aren't to blame for the delays and cancellations over the last couple of days though, it was on the airlines. The DAA have been getting a lot of abuse on Twitter, etc. and they've stated numerous times that the airport/runways where operating as normal and the delays where due to de-icing aircraft, which the airlines are responsible for. It's the same as ground staff and baggage handling, the airline either does it themselves or contracts it out to the likes of Swissport or Sky Handling.

It's winter in Ireland, a bit of snow and below freezing temps are to be expected, especially when it was forecast by Met Eireann and all over the news all week. If it was in the Canaries you'd say fair enough it caught them off guard.

I absolutely accept that all of this, see my original post. My comments about plant more related to heavy snow and L1011 pointed out that there was enough plant, which will only become evident when there is heavy snow.

What is clear is that when the weather is both usual and predicted that flights should run and that the chaos of the last two days is not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

The DAA kept everything under their purview running as normal. The airlines are responsible for their deicing. Both Aer Lingus and Ryanair self handle at DUB. Their staff, their equipment, their responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Is there a thread on any Ryannair cancellations during this cold snap?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Astral Nav

No they didn't. Ramp areas at south gates not cleared, short of staff, de icing vehicles unable to be operated. 28R somehow closed all week until today. DAA are not responsible for deicing aircraft but they are for keeping the airport operational. More underperformance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Ryanair have started posting this, it's the second time I've seen it in last few days. This isn't cold weather specific but it's definitely a DAA issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Trying to distract the Twitter mob from their own operational failures.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,268 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

T1 security queue at 5am - 15 minutes. It hit max 20 mins this morning.

I've seen these tweets the last few days but nobody else is complaining about security wait times at Dublin and everything is moving well. It's a non issue

More deflection from Ryanair from their own ops issues at Dublin.

Dublin Airport have also corrected that Ryanair tweet in recent time

Advertisement