Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

They have 14 days after you switch to call you. That's the time they contacted me when I recent switched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

We're in Ireland. That's the UK.

They run a strange system there where generation companies cannot buy gas more than 3 months forward.

It has led to huge rates on the "day ahead" market. This doesn't affect households. This is for very high users that go over a prebought level and need extra power.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

how did you get that offer?

were they offering anything on electricity or are you with another provider for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Should I allow smart meter features?

signing up to electric Ireland from energia,

5.5% discount is best I can see.

kwh- 0.4089 inc

is that best I can expect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

My electric Ireland 30% discount on electric expired yesterday. I have been put on the 5.5% discount.

Looking on switcher/bonkers, this seems the best option for standard rate.

I have a smart meter but would it work out any cheaper to switch to that where you are charged 3 different rates over the 24 hr period?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Exceptionally, exceptionally unlikely. You would need to be able to move nearly all your usage to the night band and barely touch anything during the peak period.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭mrtom

Switched from EI to Board Gais a while back thru the "Big Switch" offer. This is my first bill.

No smartness

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Pinergy going up 18% in January

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Have smart meter and was on a 40% Bord Gais discount contract on flat rate (not smart metered), finished 2 weeks ago. Best I could find (flat rate) was 0.39c/kWh & 257 standing order with BG. Heavy electric user with 2 EV's. Did analysis of current Day/Night/Peak usage (easily got from smart meter) and made sense to switch to EI Home Electric Night Boost....by about 300yoyo (standing order 397, ugh). I'm hoping will see more significant saving with moving car top up charging to the 2 to 4am time and washing machine/dryer/dishwasher etc to same (first row is day, 2nd row is night and third row is 2 to 4am).

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭in2dark

My 40% discount with BG is finishing up beginning of January. Got phone today from BG offering me 18% for electricity and 8% for gas :-(

Total annual bill based on above new discounts 3200...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

EI finally sent me an email to say they'd be in touch, but I just got my gas bill today from them and it doesn't include the 30% discount up to when my old tariff expired even tho they split the bill into the two tariffs. That is just so dodgy, as an OAP would just pay it and assume it was right.

Ringing again today.

As for Eamon Ryan, is he an eejit or what with that hedging theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Did you have any issues since they sent you the 200? I’ve had to seek advice from the CRU.

They sent me the refund via EFT then a week later they took the money back without any notice and left me screwed for money that day. Rang them and they said they made an error sending it to me and the correct procedure was to send the money to my new provider which (as I spoke to them) they were doing. Turns out this was a lie and not allowed either. Electric Ireland telling me that my new provider, Bord Gais have it (they don’t) and was told to ring ESB Networks who would confirm Bord Gais had it

I called ESB Networks and gave my MPRN. Electric Ireland have the money, nobody else and it wasn’t returned to the government either. She told me to ring the regulator and I have now emailed EI complaints dept and the whole process could take up to 5 months to resolve.

No, no issues since. They EFTd it to me and that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Cool. I’m having a nightmare just hope they sort it quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

My first big EI bill came today (first winter in new house )

1350 units used thanks to this cold snap .

Bill before discount for the 2 months would be 600 euro

But after 26% discount and 200 euro credit it’s bang on our budgeted amount of 300

Losing that discount will hurt big time next winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mel123

They have done the same to me, except they did it for my whole bill, PLUS my last bill was estimated, so between the estimated and these past two months, they charged me the full new rate. Not a happy camper. Ive emailed them, i wonder if i ring how many hours ill be on hold

I was on hold for ages, but got it rectified. If this has happened to all bills, this should be reported. Not everyone will pick up on it.

Got the rep to transfer me to retention so finally got through there where I got 10% discount for the year, but will be using that two week cooling off period to do more looking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emy

I also got a letter from Energia with the offers attached. I presume we all are getting more or less the same letters, with the same figures. We all are trying to find a better deal, but we are not going to see any 40% off from now on, max 10% off. Prices will go up with or without our will.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I am not an EI customer, peed off now 😡

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

Look forward to the other companies following suit now just like the hikes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Before the prices went crazy I was with EI for years for both gas and electricity, never even thought I was overpaying so with my discount I signed up to Engeria earlier in the year I'm paying about what I was so no big shock to me. Losing the 40% discounts will be disastrous though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

€50 when they double or triple income:) Nice and hands clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

If i dont send an actual reading and end up getting an "estimate" bill,what criteria do they use to estimate the bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭bugsyb4

If anyone has rang their provider who isn't EI to see could they haggle a €50 credit out of them let us know how you go.

Abroad currently but intend doing when get back. With Bord Gais and Energia currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Just tried it with Energia, no success. They are coming in at 70€ less than Electric Ireland, but the agents attitude just pissed me off so much, so I may change anyway!

Cheap marketing campaign. If they reduced prices in line with the wholesale rate it would cost much more.

I am for about another month. Once off 50 euro won’t hold me . No excuses for no rate cuts by now. Added in the reduced discounts and they can keep it

Have been trying since 8am to get through to EI retention team. Unfortunately the automated message is telling me they are closed and to call back during their working hours of.........8am to 8pm!

• Advertisement

Just got straight through

Turns out I have another month with 26% off as the electricity was not switched on until end of Feb

Highest discount available is 10% but he hinted it might be more in Spring

Advertisement