Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

and your point is?

Everything is lovely, nothing to see here I presume?

There aren't areas of Dublin where the woefully underfunded Gards don't venture in to, or thousands of University students on a course they didn't really want to do because they lost out on the CAO lottery, or over 600 people a night on hospital trolleys because the HSE can't find them beds,

No, not in Ireland, everything is wonderful

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

[Looks up and taps sign] This is a threat about British politics. Any more thread derailing with various whataboutteries regarding Ireland and the EU will be carded. If you can't stick to the topic without getting defensive, you're better off not posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Very noticeable at the moment, certainly in terms of the press anyway : Harry & Meghan, Mick Lynch, the lady who was insulted at Buckingham Palace recently etc. They always seem to need people to hate on. In a couple of months' time, they will move on to new targets.

Mick Lynch is an interesting figure. It's unusual to see someone getting on air and calling out the Govt and their press backers to such a powerful degree and even pointing out to the interviewers that they are doing it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Bottom feeding. LSE is so yesterday. Typical MS acquisition, heck, they p*ssed way more down the Nokia hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Just on that, I think it's more like 3 nations rather than 4.

People in Northern Ireland either want to be Irish or British but not a fourth country - Northern Irish.

But you could have a point. Even within England there are far reaching regional variations and culture - the most obvious is between the North of England and the South. Almost like two different countries.

Mick Lynch is another Arthur Scargil.

He's a bit scary for the Britsh people and is a bit rude in interviews. To top that off he supported Brexit.

I note Irish media have completely abandoned him once it came out how strongly he supported Brexit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Odd as it is, I agree with you. Mostly.

With regards to Northern Ireland, you're correct in that nobody wants an independent 6 county state. However, there is a distinct Ulster Unionist identity separate from that of the Nationalist Irish. They're ardent about staying in the UK but there's not much in the way of literary or artisitic tradition there. Beyond staunch puritanism, there's not much going on outside the ecumenical sphere.

The English identity has gobbled up a series of smaller identities which are important to communities on this island. I saw that first hand when I was attending the People's Vote marches pre-covid. I saw the three seaxes of Essex, St. Pirrin's flag of Cornwall, Yorkshire's White Rose resplendent on an azure background and of course it's Lancashire red counterpart on a gold field.

England is quite small for the amount of people it supports. It's also quite well connected with little in the way of mountains to impede pre-industrial trade and development. That said, I do think the different identities are interesting and, while they have much in common, there's enough separating them that ought to be considered. I would advocate a series of local assemblies and decentralisation to give real power to these local areas and encourage them to embrace their local and ancient identities.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

There are a lot of people in NI who are happy to be Irish people in the UK. Practically every NI person I have met falls into this category especially the ones my age or younger.

And even Unionists whether they like it or not are a different people to the English who are mostly sickened by the backwardness of Unionist religion and politics.

So ya 4 nations.

• Advertisement

And would you say an Irish nationalist in say Down is the same as a dairy farmer in Kerry?

is a Breton the same as a Parisian or is a Catalan the same as a Basque?

then there’s Italy of course which anyone who has been there will tell you that someone from Milan is almost an entirely different nationality to someone from Brindisi.

in Ireland everything is seen very black and white. There water all around us and everyone on this island is Irish and we all play hurling and listen to trad music, therefore we must all be the same. The reality is somewhat different.

people are a sum of their own history whether that is a kid from London with Nigerian parents, the kid from Cornwall with Cornish parents or the kid from Bradford with Pakistani parents. Ultimately though, they are all English and would not describe themselves as anything else. I’m surprised someone who lived in London doesn’t understand that

this discussion about different people and nationalities is almost bordering on eugenics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And yet the public fully support the strikes. He's not rude, he's just above kowtowing to media nobodies.

You supported Brexit but it's bad when Lynch does? How utterly disingenuous.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Major operation underway after a boat capsizes in the channel overnight, many feared dead.

I shudder to think how the tories will make political capital out of this, especially after Sunak's speech yesterday

More whataboutery and bad faith bllsht.

Some of those countries have similar situations to the UK and some don't.

Only one is called "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" though. The union of 2 monarchies of separate countries and also Ireland. So really it's only Wales that could be disputed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Monopoli banned for using new account to circumvent previous Politics permanent ban.

It isn't whataboutery at all, it is me saying you are talking a load of rubbish, but with examples. You are trying to make out that people from different backgrounds and circumstances indicates a lack of a cohesive society, whereas small countries like Ireland don't have that, which it clearly does.

The UK could do with more cohesion, for sure, but so could everywhere and it is only to be expected in a country with over 60m people in it. and with over a million arriving in the last year.

There are plenty of examples of cohesion though, which probably don't fit in with your dystopian view of the UK, but they are there none the less. The City of London Academies being the first example that springs to mind, or even the Roundhouse charity. The backers of these are generally successful city types who are giving something back to their city.

The big thing in the UK, or England specifically though, is that philanthropy is something you do on the quiet. Bragging about or letting people know you are ding it is seen as crass.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

To someone who lives south of the Downs, the North of England includes London. To someone who lives in London, the North of England begins at the Watford Gap. To those in Birmingham, it is Yorkshire and Lancashire and all places north. In Lancashire and Yorkshire - well, they are the North of England, very proud of being that, and the have little regard for anyone south of them.

And of course, the Scottish border is only halfway up the island of GB. So they are north of the North of England - no wonder they want to be independent of England.

The real problem is that the UK is a nation/country without a name. Most nations have their name on the postage stamp or on their soccer team. UK alone in the world has no name on their postage stamps. They also do not have a soccer team.

It is Britain, Great Britain, England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the six counties, Ulster, and probably a few more local names - depends who you ask. It has no written constitution and relies on precedent to decide constitutional matters. If a suitable precedent (or a useful one, depends who is asking) cannot be found, then they create one.

So a Gov led by a PM with no moral compass and in desperate need of cash can wreak havoc. All that is needed is a good slogan, an expert on PR, and a handy press funded by billionaires with notions.

I wonder did one ever manage to get control of the mace.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

in Ireland everything is seen very black and white.

followed by

they are all English

Well at least you fulfill the stereotype that you're trying to depict.

Genealogy Forum Mod

When did I say anything about philanthropy or City of London acadamies. I also said nothing about people from different circumstances and I said nothing about cohesion in Irish society or any other small country.

All I said was NI is as much a country as England, Scotland and Wales.

• Advertisement

I used always jokingly correct people from "the North" by telling them they are actually from the midlands.

The Highlands are the north really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

When I moved from a job London to Galway and was asked by many [English] people whether Galway in the north or the south. I always said Galway was in the west, to which they asked 'No, is it in the North or the South?'

You cannot answer that - Galway is as west as you can get.

Recently, I was buying something from an [English] UK company, and contacted them because I could not find 'Ireland' on their country code on their website. They said it was there, and after a bit of confusion, I discovered it was listed as 'Southern Ireland'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,427 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Some bizarre comments from British Red Cross CEO about these people fleeing for their lives and how UK should set up safe passage.

He does realise France is a safe country not at war

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, English people (and media and companies etc) tend to struggle somewhat with anywhere that is not England within these islands. But I don't think it's an anti-Irish thing - they tend not to know too much about Scotland or Northern Ireland either. The UK media for example seems to be very Anglo-centric and as if the world revolves around England.

There was never really a UK media. Each country has its own broadsheets. The BBC rather than address the SE English bias just gave each area its own channel.

You see it in soccer where the "UK" media remember that they are supposed to cover all the UK nations and try a little but in truth in terms of levels of content they cover England as the only national team and they will always come first.

Its one of the many ways the UKs divisions are different to that of a Parisian vs Breton farmer or whatever.

English people in England feel English, Scots feel Scottish and the same with Wales.

People in Northern Ireland don't identify as Northern Irish. They either identify as Irish or British. So it's not a nation.

All the people I knew who described themselves as Northern Irish were just figments of my imagination so. Same as 30% of NI people who describe themselves as NI only.

They just don't get heard or talked about because they didn't blow anyone up or don't go around calling gay people evil and banning football on a Sunday.

Even if your figure is correct, 70% therefore don't identify as Northern Irish. Nothing like England, Scotland or Wales.

They don't get heard because they are a small minority.

I think it’s more the curriculum. I never learned anything about Ireland at school in England, nor did my parents, nor have my nieces. That’s three generations in which Ireland is absent from learning.

Chatting to my third level educated cousins a few Christmases ago, I was astonished to establish that they didn’t realise that Ireland didn’t use the pound and their grasp of it being a separate country to Britain was pretty tenuous.

the British education system has a lot to answer for

• Advertisement

30 vs 35 vs 35 is not a minority it's an equal group of 3.

Henry the 8th and 2 world wars is how my English friends describes teaching of English related history in school to me. The rest is about the classic empires.

Advertisement