Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Just had call today with imagine and was going to meet them next week for installation. Thats off now thanks to this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

finally got NBI yesterday! Looking forward to cancelling Imagine but on balance they did fill the gap while waiting over the years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Got my router password from Imagine yesterday only to then realise I don't know what the username is. Anyone have an idea, is it something generic or based on some sort of account identifier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭mossie

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Stewball

Anywhere you look up mast locations and the amount of people using it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

No, the only people with that info is Imagine themselves and I doubt they would share it.

edit: Sorry you can find out where the masts are but not how many are connected to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

Just wondering if anyone has experience with trying to port forward with an Imagine router that's connected to a second router (in this case a TP Link Deco mesh system in 'router' mode)? The service I'm trying to access is on a server connected to the second router and is accessible through its local IP and port just fine.

I've logged into the Imagine router and set the port I want to forward and using canyouseeme.org I know the port is reachable externally. I've set the local IP on the rule to the IP of the Deco router. And on the Deco router I've set up a port forwarding rule with the server and the correct port.

Am I missing something obvious here or is the only way to make this work switching the second router to access point mode so it's dumb as a brick and is essentially extending the Imagine router's network? I don't see any option on the Imagine router to switch it to bridge mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭dollylama

You have to request imagine put their CPE into bridge mode. This disables the WiFi radios on their unit and you get issued a static IP. I had it done some months back and there was no issue, they rang me when doing it and again afterwards to check all was good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I've been with Imagine for over 2 years now and generally speaking I am very happy with the service in terms of speed and connectivity. Rarely any issues there. However, my big bugbear is their data cap / fair usage policy.

We are not heavy users by any means (no gamers in the house - yet) but I WFH most of the time. My typical average daily usage is around ~30GB and that has me hitting ~900+ GB for the month, which has me uncomfortably sailing close to the wind. So, at least every other month I get their snotty warning via email that my usage is way in excess of the "average user" and basically advising me to reduce usage - or else! Fortunately I don't think I've exceeded the 1TB in a single month yet but I'm uncomfortably close. If they carried out their threat and throttled me I'd be snookered, especially given my WFH situation.

I actually think their online portal where you can check your usage is buggy as hell anyway, it always seems to show 0GB for off-peak which can't be right and today it seems to be completely down. How can they expect customers to monitor their usage if their portal can't be relied upon...

Does anyone know or have any inside info on whether they plan to tweak their fair usage policy? I'd even be happy to pay a little more if it was upped to 1.5TB we'll say... If / when FTTH comes to my area I will jump ship but it really would be for this reason alone. Speed/connectivity is fine but there's no comfort in having high speed broadband with a cap on it. I can't imagine how it would work at all if you had a couple of teenagers in the house glued to their xBoxes.

Ideally what distance would people suggest being from a mast would be good? If I ring Imagine they're just going tell me what I want to hear to get me to sign on the dotted line.

According to google maps I'm about 14km from my nearest mast and on a clear day, I can see the mast from my front room.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭dunleas

I'm the same WFH. Actually it's quiet stressful checking in on it once a week. I've reduced my security camera to SD quality. Reduced the amount of games downloaded to the PS5. Use standard radio instead of streaming. All this generally brings it below 500G per Month but your always conscious of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Before I moved I had Virgin and was averaging 3-400gb a month; WFH, gaming every night, Spotify all day while I worked, Netflix, Disney plus etc.

Are yous on constant video calls or something to be using that much a day? 30gb a day seems excessive, job depending.

Yeah I suppose the nature of my job (software development) does involve some medium-heavy use - video calls, downloading large files, etc. But even on a Saturday or Sunday the usage is rarely less than ~20GB, even if we're out for half the day! No gaming whatsoever but definitely a bit of Netflix / video streaming in the evenings and internet radio during the day.

Like I said, I'd be happy enough if the limit was relaxed even a little bit, just to give me the bit of headroom that I don't need to be checking the usage so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭rodge123

Internet gone for anyone else on Cappagh north Kildare mast? Getting no signal bars on router even after restart.

No customer support lines open until 9am 🤬🤬

• Advertisement

Mine went in Cork around 6am, several reboots got it back by 8am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭rodge123

Mine was also down this morning up until about 8am (Galway), so it must have been a widespread issue.

And I've noticed that their online portal for checking data usage appears to be borked again since that outage. Its only showing 0.2GB usage for me today and thats definitely not right! I couldn't care less what it shows tbh but the feckers will still send me their snotty "excessive usage" email in or around the 25th of the month, as per. Except now I can't even keep an eye on the usage level...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

TBF any use of YouTube and/or Netflix on the network, particularly on a device capable of 4k is gonna eat data.

I recently upgraded the router in the house for another reason however a side benefit of the new one is traffic analysis. YouTube is top followed closely by Netflix, both consuming tens of gig on a daily basis. Granted the kids would use a good bit of this but it was a lot more traffic than I would have estimated.

Yeah, I have youTube premium too and that probably means my daughter is freely streaming 4K Barbie videos!! I must tweak my YouTube settings...

• Advertisement

OK, so something is very off here and I'm beginning to think that Imagine haven't a clue how much data their customers are actually using.

So I complained a few posts ago in this thread that I was sailing very close to the monthly 1TB limit, using 30GB+ per day even though I really don't think my usage feels that excessive. I do WFH, but no gaming and relatively moderate usage of streaming services, etc.

Anyway, in the last week or 10 days, my daily usage seems to have fallen back really significantly and I genuinely have not deliberately changed my usage pattern at all. According to their online portal I'm only using 12-15GB a day now. It was double that a fortnight ago! I don't understand how thats possible and the only explanation I can think of is that their data monitors are unreliable to say the least.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Imagine being a bit sneaky.

Got a call from them today telling me that as a valued customer I was entitled to a 25% discount for 6 months if I signed on for a new 18 month contract.

My location went "Ready to order" last week for NBI Fibre.

I wonder how many people they might catch out who aren't aware that Fibre is now available??

Yeah they're definitely trying various tactics now that FTTH is becoming more available...

I've noticed that they're now offering 3 different packages - €34.99 for a 250GB per month, €44.99 for 500GB and the 1Tb for €59.99.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They made some reference to me being entitled to a discount and an upgrade , but we never got as far as discussing the upgrade after I declined the discount/new contract.

Wonder if they were going to offer something better than the 1TB/month as I can't think of any other "upgrade" they might be able to offer.

Highly unlikely the "upgrade" is a higher data cap. 1Tb is the max they currently offer (even to "business" customers!) so you'd really wonder what they're up to... If I get that call I will press them to elaborate what exactly this "upgrade" is!

If it actually was an increase on the data cap I'd possibly be interested, but as I mentioned in my previous post, my usage (according to their data counters on their portal) has inexplicably dipped significantly. I am barely exceeding ~12GB a day this past week, I can't understand it tbh!

I used the coverage checker on their website and got a message saying my area is fully subscribed and I'll be put on a waiting list.

I called them yesterday to officially cancel the service - My NBI 1gb connection is being installed this week and they offered me 50% off for 18 months to try to get me to stay.

No mention of any other kind of upgrades though..

I didn't take the offer.

That tactic would make me want to stay with them even less... I hate that they'll offer 50% discounts just like that over the phone but if you had a problem in the previous 18 months or asked them to discount it they'd have flat out said NO!

Agreed..

To be fair , the service has been fairly stable for me over the last year or so since they added a new connection point in my area which reduced contention etc. but I haven't heard a word from them other than when I might have called about a problem.

Then the week that NBI becomes available for install they are calling me "because I'm such a valued customer" and offering me 25% off if I sign on for a new 18 month contract and when I call to cancel they offer me a full 50% off for the entire 18 month contract to try to get me to stay.

Where were those offers over the last 4+ years when I've been with them and out of contract?

The fact that they knew I had no alternative to them during that period is telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Donutz

My service is down in Fedamore Co Limerick since yesterday morning.

I was told I would be waiting 5 to 7 days for a callback to arrange an engineer visit. Does anybody know if there is anything I can say or do to get them to call out faster?

• Advertisement

Absolutely unusable service now at evenings and weekends. Netflix buffering constantly. Imagine says all fine, just reduce Netflix to SD. Stuck with them for 2 years before NBI comes my way. Joke service

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

Guys is anyone having an issue with gaming on EU servers?

If I do a Speedtest I get a nice high download speed (60+mbps, and a relatively low ping of 30ms or so) and all seems well. But if I want to game it's completely different. Depending on the game, my average ping is about 80-90ms when connected to EU servers, then occasionally I start a new round of Rocket League or something and boom, 50ms ping for the match because I'm most probably on an Irish server. This is on PC btw via ethernet into a pfSense box where I can monitor network traffic.

It seems to me that somewhere upstream there is a bottleneck and Imagine aren't bothered to do anything about it. This has been ongoing now for approx 18 months. Cannot wait for NBI.

Have you tried changing the DNS servers away from the Imagine ones?

Try the cloudflare ones (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1) to see if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

Aye, have DNS set to use gDNS at 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 but I'll give the cloudflare ones a go and let you know, cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Is everyone else's usage page on the imagine portal completely borked still? Its showing some usage now - only peak though, its not showing off peak at all. "Total usage" is still showing 0. I've definitely done a rake of large downloads in off peak hours already this month (around 100 or so GB of steam updates). Bit concerned about this since there's relatives home for all of this month that'll drive usage up a good bit. Was already averaging 500-700GB just myself.

Yep, same here. Off-peak always shows zero (but does show an un-realistically low number in the summary page). The Total usage is always zero too. Total peak does show values but they mainly seem lower than they should be. Up until 2 months ago I was sailing close to the 1TB usage cap every other month. Now, according to their stats, I'm barely averaging 5-6GB per day! It doesn't add up, but if they stop pestering me with their passive aggressive fair usage emails, I won't complain.

Have ye got any of those passive aggressive emails the last 2 months? I got one or 2 before as well after grabbing some games on steam sales and driving the usage thru the roof. It might actually come in handy to get one this month for myself so I can see if im actually sailing up to the limit. I re-enabled the traffic monitor on my bridged ASUS router there today but from the 1st til today wont have been monitored. You'd wonder if they would actually be able to enforce a fair usage policy breakage if you cant even see what you're using anyway.

Yep, I've had a few of them but the last one was September I think. At that time, their portal was telling me I was using up on 30-35 GB a day. Ever since mid November its dropped back to under 10GB on average. So the emails have stopped!

Cheers, sounds like they can't even track it accurately themselves - probably be safe enough so!

• Advertisement

Thats the frustrating thing. Its clear that they're incapable of reliably tracking the data usage themselves. So its a complete farce if I had the opposite problem to the one I am having today - if the portal was telling me I was using 40+ GB a day I'd be in trouble and I'd be getting those emails and I expect the "customer support" would be less than sympathetic.

So, just incase that does ever happen, I've taken a few screenshots recently of the data shown on the portal, incase it goes the other way some month and I have to argue with them that their measurement is way off whack.

looks like they have “fixed” the data counter 🙄

Look at my usage yesterday compared to the previous days! And I’m up at 5GB already today at 10:30am. It doesn’t make sense.

I noticed the same, router (last 24 hours):

Imagine portal

Its a bit off cos i cant select just yesterday in the asus router but close enough. They must be listening I shoulda said nothin!

I've been trying to access it on my phone and work PC and in both it said I'm using a non Irish IP address so won't show me. I am absolutely using an Irish IP on both no VPN etc

Anyone in North Cork (Kanturk / Newmarket) know of a viable alternative to Imagine? Completely unusable for streaming 6pm to midnight and most of the day at weekends. Imagine say it's fine but definitely not.

Given up using during the day for WFH. Have a 3 SIM in a router for work. Imagine does struggle during the evening but we have learnt to live with it. Have you checked Comreg ? Any mobile providers in your area with a decent 4G/5G signal?

• Advertisement

I hadn't thought of comreg. Imagine used to be great for the first 2 years I had it but they're clearly overloading the mast and it's killed the service. Will be at least 18 months for NBI to arrive so probably stuck with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Balmark

I'm in exactly the same boat as you here .. I'm planning to try Three 5g for €40 a month since they'e meant to be now truly unlimited, no caps (can anyone confirm? I might start another thread .. because their site has a * that points to a 750GB cap but there have been bulletins saying there's no cap now )

I was with Three prior to switching to Imagine, with 4g via Rural Wifi and it was woeful at peek times .. I'm just hoping that woeful peek 5g speeds will be better than woeful peek 4g ;)

I've been onto Imagines tech support teams and kept getting the same runaround .. I'm very technical myself and eventually got a technician who admitted to me that it couldn't be a problem on my side .. I left it with 'ok, I'll change when my contract is up'

Imagine broadband is so bad .. I get 2-8mbs peek times ( 3 kids in the house.. that's not good ) and then in the middle of the night I get 120 .. laughable .. I've a lovely speedtest from last year where my down was .5mbs and my upload was about 9mbs hah .. they're just blatantly oversubscribed :/

edit:

here's one :D

what a joke

btw .. all my tests were done via ethernet with the device being the only device connected, I was also making sure nothing else was interferring with the test and comparing the speeds shown on the imagine router to what I was seeing .. ie. there were no downloads/updates etc interferring .. their bad performance is consistent during peek times ..

we're at the point where my daughter at 7 years old was going around to make sure anyone who was watching a video was doing so at 480 res and nothing higher!

I'll probably give 3 a go if they have 5g in my area. Can't be worse than imagine. What really gets me is then saying it must be something at my end when it's clearly them overloading their network. Just checked and 3 5g isn't available in my area.

I pulled the trigger on 3 BB today. Spoke with agent data is uncapped so no looking over my shoulder each month. Comreg/3 website suggests I can get 5G in my area. Installer will not go ahead unless it's at least 100MB down. It will be a week or so lead time on install. Have been using a 3 SIM in a mini router over the last 3 Months just for work and it works well . 14 days cooling off period after that Imagine is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

• Advertisement
Advertisement