Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why inheritance is the dirty secret of the middle classes – harder to talk about than sex

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Likely the people whose grandads broke their backs building the infrastructure for the millionaire-grandad to cream off.

We had the sob story earlier of the million+ house that the poor engineer grandfather bought from working on the roads.

If someone old enough to have kids has a grandfather who was an engineer, that grandfather was fairly privileged by definition. Probably in drinking tea and popping out every couple of hours to shout abuse at the navvies working in the rain

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Weird how you come up with **** like this despite knowing absolutely nothing about the person.

You don't think someone who qualified as an engineer maybe 60 or 80 years ago was likely better off than the average person (that probably only got to do primary school?)

Weird

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

That’s not what you posted though, and you have no insight into how/how hard they worked. You are just making up a narrative to suit your viewpoint.

Do you think that an engineer was out with a pickaxe and shovel in a trench in the rain back in the 50's? Do you think that even happens today?

Regardless the point was that someone with a profession or training back then was, by definition, fairly privileged........not really worthy of a sob story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

There were still engineering apprenticeships 80 years ago. It wouldn't have been exclusive to universities till around 1960s onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

And there we have it laid bare for all to see..."privilege".

So your argument is that only rich people had grandparents who were engineers? Thats just laughable really. Todays grandparents were born in 50s and 60s chief. Its not 1900 anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I have absolutely zero inheritance to get. Never knew my father and my mother made a mess of her life and is only one of her siblings not to own a house or any other assets.

I am conflicted to a certain degree on inheritance. On one hand there is the super wealthy who have so much that their kids/grandchildren actually don’t have to work a day in their lives and never contribute to society. I don’t think we have many of this category in Ireland. However, in places like US those people are untouchable and live in an alternative world to everyone else and everything is handed to them.

In general in Ireland I would think most people in Ireland who receive an inheritance will need to continue working to maintain their lifestyle. They might be able to change their car or renovate their house, but their lifestyle doesn’t seem to drastically change. The deceased person would of paid their taxes etc and the receiver would usually be working and contributing that way.

Life isn’t fair. Realistically inheritance has always existed, but in more recent decades we didn’t think about it because it was possible to improve your lot in life. All you had to do was work hard. Now we live in a world where you can have a good education or skills and stable job and still find yourself going nowhere as your income is nearly all gone after you pay rent, bills, food. How did we end up in a situation where this could happen.

I never said anything about universities. In fact, if you look at the post immediately above yours, I made reference to "training"

The lacuna in your above logic process illustrates why you are likely having difficulty in understanding basic concepts in general

• Advertisement

Even Marxists of the time tended to classify skilled trades as "semi-proletariat".

If you are saying that anyone above the level of unskilled labourer is "fairly privileged" I see that as a far left attitude.

What person, who isn't a Maoist, would agree with that?

*Anyone* who has owned a home has been above the economic level of the poorest people in society.

You can try to rewrite history all you want. May I suggest that you talk to an elderly relative to get their opinion of who was considered well off and who wasn't well off when they were growing up, or even in their parents time?

When the vast majority were unskilled labourers, the people who were above that would indeed have been considered as well off

It's a bit silly to try to state that someone who was a trained engineer 80 years ago in Ireland would not have been considered as in a good position. Half the country were probably scraping by off semi-subsistence agriculture ffs. A good portion of the remainder were over digging roads in England

"Privilege" is Marx-speak for having been born into wealth or a high position.

An engineer in a craft union has a high salary but it's not like being a factory owner

Anyway whatever im sure Varadkar or whoever will spend these tax monies wisely. They can funnel the money into some hospital scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

So we penalise people who provide for their dependants to give it to those who don't.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

No. People who provide for their dependants don't pay a penny in extra tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...what happens if you have more than one child, and they in turn have kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

How much do you have to leave your child for them to receive €500,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

This all comes down to whether you believe in high taxation or low taxation.

If I have kids I want them to get every penny. I don't want people I never even know who I probably don't even like and probably wouldn't be bothered with me getting it.

The extreme left think they are entitled to everyone's money. And you better believe the inheritance tax won't apply to them. All the leftists from Barrett etc are all millionaires.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

What's with all this talk of taking money to just give it to others? How do people think healthcare, gardai, schools, colleges, infrastructure(electricity/water/refuse(not totally covered by charges)), democracy, footpaths, streetlights, green spaces, sports, the arts, environmental conservation, archaeology, libraries, the justice system.....is paid for? Do these things just magic out of thin air?

Oh come off it inheritance tax accounts for like 2% of the budget.

And do you really think the govt is spending it well...they just spent 18 million on a bath no bath concrete palace. Yeah i dont need that.

I pay income tax ...no one is talking about paying nothing ...we all know tax in ireland is too high ...tax on income is too high ..tax on goods is too high ...

It's a cost of living crisis you can't afford spending millions on the arts when people can't afford heating.

The govt has gone mad.

Its not spending it's budget for building houses ...who knows why. They have the money management of a plank of wood.

You can't benefit your way out of a recession. Its a lifeboat its not a ship.

before 2012 the threshold for inheritance was 500k now its 330k ...that CANT be right?? Do you think we have a more equal society now?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

All that still needed paying for before any kind of inheritance tax was introduced.

And no I don't vote FF or FG ...because they are brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Sono Topolino

I’m annoyed mainly because I inherited the family home in my mid 20s when I didn’t have the income (trainee accountant) to afford a mortgage to pay the inheritance tax. Due to living away from home for college I didn’t qualify for dwelling house relief even though I was living at home at the time. Properties in the area where I grew up are massively overpriced but how is that my fault? I had to sell. In any case, after legal/probate fees, repairs on the house pre-sale, auctioneers fees, paying inheritance tax and interest on the late payment of tax (took me two years to finalise the sale so I had to pay a steep interest bill) I was left with €300k.

€300k may seem like a lot of money, but it is still not enough to buy a modest home in the neighbourhood I called home. It took me another five years renting before I was able to buy an apartment fifty miles from where I grew up. This is utterly insane and should not happen.

I don’t object to inheritance tax in principle, but in practice it inflicts the trauma of bereavement and eviction due to property prices everyone agrees are inflated. Can we at least agree that this should not happen?

Tbh its all an ideological argument because inheritance tax annually barely accounts for anything in the budget it doesnt bring in a lot of revenue percentage wise. Its just brainwashed ideology.

As altruism goes it's not very efficient.

Well yes ..and no.

Obv they do want to make a lot of money ...but also ..wills can be tricky things and people even trickier...its best to make sure its legal and fair.

Oh come on you are not a robot.

Death is not something that happens on paper. It's a very emotional and vulnerable time. Those savings might be numbers for you. But to families ...you can't be that emotionally unintelligent.

A will is the last communication a person leaves behind them. To you its just revenue or 'INCOME' ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭DataDude

I’m sorry this happened, I’m sure it was difficult. It would seem sensible for there to be some ability to defer inheritance tax for a sensible period in situations like this. But that aside. From a purely financial point of view, I can’t see how the numbers stack up.

Assuming you paid €100k in fees etc. (seems steep). You inhertited 400k. €335 tax free. €21k tax bill. Even if we stretch it to 200k in fees. €54k tax bill. You’d surely get a loan to cover that given the huge net worth you had.

And from a pure affordability perspective, the repayments would be next to nothing compared to rent or whatever the alternative was?

Advertisement