Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I know how it works. Interest rate rises are to devalue peoples spending power, stop the frivolity and conspicuous consumption.

There has to be a softening of property prices, another few interest rate rises will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Lads, we should know by now that the game is rigged.

Governments, like ours and others, will not let the free market rip and let house prices correct to their true value. There is simply too much negative political heat to take on if this occurs. Now prices may correct modestly, 5% maybe even 10% over the few years. But forget about houses correcting anything over that. The government can pull a rabbit out of the hat and support the market at a whim.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

I love this naive attitude.

People think our government is different than other governments around the world. They act like we are in some way special.

I got news for you, governments around the world are the same everywhere. UK, US, Sweden, Canada, they are all just trying to stay in power and their policies are all short term. Properties will fall here like everywhere else.

The biggest issue we have here is the large investment funds buying into commercial and residential properties. This is what will hit us harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Okay so you're first post was nonsense and you're just going to change the subject, good stuff. Just to confirm, Irish people are still saving, not having one last hurrah as you initially claimed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The taxpayer is just going to continue to subsidise the new build market more and more.

They were warned shared equity will push up the prices of new builds and it has so now they have to raise the ceiling further. Its just a developer led scam this whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

How much HAP do the government give on a €2k rental?

The 1st time buyer grant is keeping developers happy.

The government leasing from investment funds is keeping them happy.

There are so many empty properties in towns around the country it's just unbelievable . Are their no generous incentives in place to get these places habitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Great to see confidence in our housing minister anyway, sure all must be well

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

HAP is anything from 190-1300 euro depending on where it is and the size of the family.

If you want a reason why there is so many empty unrented properties go to the RTB website and decide if you were an owner would you rent those properties.

If you own a second property or if you own only one and are going to vacate it temporarily you would be stupid to rent it. If you are elderly and are in a nursing home your family would be stupid to rent it. If you are elderly and move in with a son or daughter you would be stupid to rent it.

Basically because of present legislation any house temporarily vacant should never be rented.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Great we will all just copy and paste. No analysis no taughts of our own just pick an article copy and paste.

Just one striking thing about the article above was the fact that it seems that virtually all Swedish mortgages are variable and this is effecting both buyers and existing mortgage holders.

As well house hold debt is 90% of Swedish gross domestic product. Mortgage costs ( I presume the interest part has tripled)

Obviously the poster thinks this is exactly the same as Ireland

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The new welfare proposal was for people to get 60% of there earning for six months capped at 450 euro. When were people earning 750/week high earners. This type of sh!te annoys me.

You may be misreading their intention. They might just be pointing out that someone who is a higher earner - say 100k year - will get double the "standard" dole if he loses his job. They might not be trying to say "only high earners will get the super-dole".

You can look at it two ways. The 100k a year fella paid a lot more tax. But the 25k a year fella who loses his job probably would need the extra 200 quid a week far more than the fella who just finished the 100k a year job. That might have been the point of that headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

This is a pretty handy site, puts the number of properties dropping prices into perspective.

Taking into account both increases and decreases, there is a net percentage 0.27% downward change in property listings.

One has to think about it this way when buying property imho.

Also, its really the interest part that is the rent, as the other bit is taking a portion off the principle, which is a proxy for saving and building wealth.

All within reason by the way.

How much should repayments be for 3 bed as a matter of interest?

Say for the sake of argument the first payment is 50:50 interest:principle, so they are paying 900 interest but paying 900 off the mortgage itself.

Also it depends on their take home pay. If their take-home pay is 3k per month, that is right, but if its 6k per month, then it's comfortable.

Where are these property price falls and rent falls?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭old_house

I am not surprised that we see more decreases than increases in the listed price. Why would anyone want to go back to renew a listing and increase the price unless maybe a sale has fallen through and it has to be relisted anyway? I think most people would just deal with the offers coming in and sell it to the highest bidder without going back to the listing, whereas if it turns out the asking price was too high or something comes up during the survey lower relistings are much more likely. Asking prices are not very realiable as a value indicator, and changes in same even less so...

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Agreed. I think the metric is interesting in terms of price decreases but the increases are not a reflection of what happens on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Each house around us that is sold is being sold for higher than the last. I dont know anyone who has moved and is paying less rent apart from one couple who moved into a rent controlled apartment owned by a relative of theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Maybe if the estate agent listed it for 400k and they currently have the house in a bidding war at 500k and don't want people wasting their time calling to bid 410k?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭DataDude

Monthly price movements:

July +1.0

August + 1.1

September + 0.6

October (just released) +0.4

As always discussed these are very lagged but finally the data looks to be cooling off after unexpectedly shooting higher in the summer months.

• Advertisement

Governments don't want to see huge house price crashes.

It's terrible for their electoral success and terrible for the wider economy.

Much easier for them to support existing property owners, i.e the majority of the population and give cash handouts or subsidies to would he house buyers, which in turn pushes up prices.

We have a big worldwide crash in 2008-2009. What do you think QE was? What do you think NAMA was? When have seen this movie before, yet you think we will have a different ending.

I will admit that there may be some heat taken out of the market, especially in older houses in poor locations. Perhaps a modest 5-10% drop over a few years, But if you think houses will drop 50%, I've magic beans to sell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

I take it these are finalised sales figures? So Octobers figures are probably for sales agreed in June/July?

Hope the trend continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

I think some older houses at the lower end of the market will benefit from the recently expanded vacant property refurbishment grant where an FTB can get €30,000 (plus an additional €20,000 for structural works if required), and that's on top of the available SEAI grants as long as the house has been vacant for 2 years or more and you make it your primary residence afterwards. That is a huge amount of money and I can see how that will make those houses a lot more appealing to some.

It's an abstract number, but what it means is that a modest house at a price point of €250,000 got another €1000 more expensive - within a month. It's still hard to keep up with that...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I think a 50% drop is probably off the cards too, but a fall in prices in real terms is probably inevitable.

The population cohort that will be entering the market next i.e. current 20-30 year olds is significantly smaller than the current buying cohort of 30-45 year olds. As the absolute stock of houses is growing this can only lead to prices falling. This is unless net migration continues strongly to fill jobs that are mortgageable.

As an aside it's absolutely mad that we carry out a census every five years which predicts supply challenges in many sectors (e.g. the late noughties baby boom resulting in a current stress on secondary school places) but nothing ever seems to be done to prepare for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Lads I am sorry to keep coming on here and saying prices if they drop wont drop a whole pile .If property sale price is withing sticking distance of making a deal to purchase ,you should grab the bull by the horns .Lots of cheap property was bought up there after the burst ,thats never again going to happen .

You have clowns like Paul Murphy coming on prime time tv telling you that builders should build houses for no profit so prices will drop ,it is hard to know what planet some people are living on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭DataDude

Yep, sounds about right.

Expect it to continue to trend down and should be showing flat/negative by early next year. But I made the same prediction in Spring 2022 when things were trending down and it took off again. So who knows!

Why central banks are going to crash markets worldwide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Your graph does not indicate if or why a central bank would crash a market, it is just more fluff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement