Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do?? Commute vs House size

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Commutes only get longer.

Mine was 30 minutes 5 years ago.

Same commute is 55 mins now along with higher fuel costs and parking costs now where it used to be free.

Never hear of the same commute ever getting easier as time goes on :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I live around Rush🤣I just don't work in the city.Consciously picked a job several years ago that was within an easy 30 mins drive, no need to enter the city, to accomodate family life (I'm the mother).

You made a telling comment there OP - you feel you've been living on top of one another for a few years and want space, I would make the decision to go for the bigger one based on that.Baby arrives, space becomes even smaller.Speaking from a lot of experience.As someone else said, babies become kids who are their own people and need space too.Your working circumstances may also change over time.

We are 40 mins drive from one set of grandparents but actually we don't use either grandparents as childcare, bar babysittibg for the odd night out.Covid reinforced that almost, they weren't available to us during that time.It's hard to imagine how life will change once a baby arrives tbh.

The other thing in some ways, is the price I guess - cheaper is probably better as you will be facing into the costliest part of childcare in the next few years, assuming you both stay working and need creches or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭musicfan1ie

If you've got no strong feelings, it feels like stay in same location and buy smaller house makes sense. Close to everything, family, work etc. If and when you outgrow it, move then. So, your life works well now where you are - social life, family life, work life. Why change location unless you really want to?

Sounds like smaller house would be good for at least 5 years - baby gets older, maybe second baby (if any) gets to 3 or 4. You can buy the bigger house in the future if you want - that location isn't going anywhere and it's helpful that its €80K cheaper, so even if house prices go down and there's a bit of negative equity, you should be able to move to a cheaper location.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

You say fuel is paid by your company. Is this forever? If petrol goes up to €3 a litre in ten years and you change jobs would you be ok to pay €150 for a tank of petrol every week?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭blarb

Personally I would bear in mind, that if circumstances change for the worse (housing market crashes, job losses etc) which house would you be happier being "stuck" in, if moving house at that point wasn't an option? I know lots of people bought apartments or smaller houses before they expanded their family with the idea of moving later on, only to end up in negative equity and not be able to move at that point...

With a family in your future, I'd probably opt for the bigger house (the 80k lower mortgage is also a big plus!) - but I would keep in mind public transport options to city/jobs hub in case you change jobs in the future and fuel/car is not being paid for when choosing location of new house...

• Advertisement

I thought there would be BIK on petrol for your commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

People often overlook the social side of life when making these decisions so just keep that in mind . I’m not talking about mad sessions and nights out because they get less frequent anyway .

But there’s a lot to be said for just being close to friends and family just call round or a cup of coffee or for the unexpected emergency. It really is a huge side of life that adds to people’s overall happiness so don’t overlook it if you are going to isolate yourselves from loved ones

Commute only impacts on one person, space impacts on the whole family.

I'd take space over commute, and in time, look for a job closer to the new home? I don't think 50 minutes is so bad, I've done way longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,235 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The most important piece of info needed for making this decision isn't in your posts so far OP. What are you defining as a small house?

To many, 150sqm constitutes a tiny house whereas many others would feel like they were rattling around the place in a 300sqm McMansion...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

That’s not really true though. A long commute (and 50 minutes isn’t horribly long) puts more pressure on the other partner. They will be responsible for all the crèche/school drop-offs, all the pick-ups, all the unexpected things like sick children that need collection during the day or children who get to school and forget their lunch or need to be brought from school to after-school or the morning/afternoon things like carol services, end of term parents mornings, etc. It’s very difficult for two working parents to do that and almost impossible for a commuting parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭blarb

Key question really!

Very good point in a previous post about social element being easily overlooked, family or friends spontaneously calling in for a quick visit (or you to them) would be out the window that far out.

It really does depend how small the house is. If the smaller house is workable for the family size you are planning (and any working from home that might be needed by your wife) and within your means, then I'd say go for it!

However if you would be buying smaller with a view to upsizing in a few years, I'd be of the opinion do it now and save yourself the hassle later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I think another key thing to consider is how secure is your job/company? If it's not very, very secure then I think I'd rather be in Dublin where it would be easier to find a new job and you don't have to worry about extending your commute even further.

I think it would be a lot easier moving out of Dublin in the future, than moving back in if you had to. Prices go up faster in Dublin so you could get priced out in the future.

Didnt know that. When I worked in the UK I had to pay BIK on the fuel. Never had a company car here though, so not up with the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,890 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

On one side we have a small house, 80k more, but really close to work.

On the other hand, we have a big house 50 minutes drive away and 80k less.

Surely there has to be a compromise house in the middle that's 40k more than the big house, but 50% bigger than the small house and only 25 minutes away from work?

All those things should really be shared, when maternity leave ends.

I'd still go for space, I don't think 50 mins is a big deal.

I was the commuting parent in my family and made it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

No brainer for me.

Bigger house.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They can't be shared.

If the OP has to be in Dublin for 9am there is absolutely no way he can do a school run in Arklow in the mornings. Similarly, there is no way he'll ever be home for pickups. Their partner will need to do both every day.

This could be totally fine, but it's something they should be aware of.

The only way this sort of commute works with schools / creche runs is if you can either leave late, or come home early.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

Tbh all I read here is: would you want to spend 50 days in traffic? Would you want to miss out? Would you….

question should be: what’s better for the family? The kids will most certainly benefit and enjoy the bigger place. What about your wife? Better mindset when living closer to town or not?

also something to consider (I had that when still commuting), if you walk 10min from work to home - have you switched off by then? A 50min commute will defo help to switch off fully which means you are definitely “home” when you are home.

so whatever decision you make should t be about “do I want to be stuck in traffic” but what are the pro and cons. Important thing though is, whatever decision you make needs to work for all of you and never to regret it!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I dont think its a given that kids will benefit or enjoy (or even notice!) a bigger place.

How much space to kids need? How much is enough? If we were talking apartment vs house then I might agree, but I dont think we are. Perhaps the nearer house has a massive green outside in a cul de sac?

Id strongly disagree that a longer commute helps you switch off, personally I would be like a bull if I was spending an hour in the car every morning an evening and I would be pissed off that the kids were in bed every morning when i left and every evening when I got home.

I believe the OP also works on a Saturday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Arklow to Dublin in 50 minutes? Not at rush hour. I'm in Dublin 15 and it takes me 50 minutes plus to get to my city centre office these days

the OP is going to Carrickmines, they’ll avoid all city traffic. It’s just N11 traffic from Delgany to Bray they’ll hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

This is really really not a big deal, at least there’s someone there to do it, and it’d be the same if you were living closer, parent at home takes on that or parent working remote, these are things that you have to do in a family, I do the vast majority in our house because I work remote, wife doesn’t, so I can skip out collect the kids all that stuff, this is a minor issue don’t turn it into something as a reason not to buy a big house.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Not sure if this came up but are you able to work from home? I work in Leopardstown and live in Drogheda but the ability to WFH is essential. I live in a 5-bed detached house with good schools nearby and when I do go to the office it's a pain but not too often. That makes all the difference. A bigger house with more space outdoes a small house and a short commute for me.

It might be a minor issue to you but it may not be minor for everyone.

It's something the OP at least needs to be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

A bigger house just gets filled with more junk. Location every time for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,890 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

So what are the commute comparsions then?

Arklow to Carrikmines versus living somewhere in and around Carrickmines?

How about somewhere nice in Bray? Only 11km to Carrikmines (opposed to the 58km to Arklow)

Has a hell of a lot more going on than Arklow amenity wise for both the OP and his family but will still be cheaper than a house closer to Carrikmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Location is all relative. 80K is a significent sum of money and if the house is significent larger maybe a 150 sqM house compared to a 80-90 sqM one. I some how get the impression its a house on its own site as well outside a town. would not agree that a bigger house gets filled with more junk, a smaller house where you have very limited storage with children for toys and may be bilkes down the line

I would be inclined for the bigger house commuting may not be forever

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

i speak from experience. I have kids and can honestly say: the bigger the house, the better. They may not need that space when 2 years old but kids do tend to grow up. And when they hit their teens, space is definitely needed.

commute: I’m not saying it’s for everyone, I did commute for a long time though (until wfh arrived). 60min to and from work 5 days a week. Not driving but on the bus. Defo helped to switch off and ensured I’m leaving the office on time and not a minute too late.

oh… and the most important part is, I would always advice against living in or close to Dublin 😁. So that alone would be a reason to take the bigger house. Might be a different story if we were talking about cork, Galway etc. but Dublin… best decision I ever made was moving away from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭dbas

I moved from smithfield to wicklow Town.

I'd never look back. Have 4 bed semi for the price of terraced 3 bed in dublin.

Things I didn't consider were

Kids got a place easily in local schools

My boy has special needs and waiting lists are shorter down here than in dublin

Near the countryside and beaches on days off

I can handle an hours commute each way and it's not every day I have to do it.

I miss spontaneous pints, but I've three kids anyway. Spontaneous pints don't exist anymore

We've made friends down here as time passes, and our friend in dublin are less than an hour away.

Hard decision to make, but make sure it suits your whole family.

Don't stay local because someone knocked into you twice a year, if you know what I mean

Best of luck

Advertisement