Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Refugees ( genuine ones) don’t make several airport transfers like anyone arriving here from African nations do , same with Albanians as there are no direct flights from Albania to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Which begs the question - why don’t we do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

You are approaching the realm of the flat earthers now at this point. "Show me some equations to prove that the earth isnt round. Until you do that, its flat, so there." I know someone accused you of grasping at straws earlier, by I honestly dont think you have a grasp of anything at all, especially reality :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Well they wont need the staff now, because the industry has been decimated. Going to be a hard tourist season next year in a lot of towns.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There was a lot of unrest where I'm from when it came to refugees from Bosnia and Kosovo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Independent TD Carol Nolan in the Dail today spoke confidentially about issues TD around Ireland refuses to bring up no matter how many of their constituents bring their worries and concerns to their attention.

Around the 6:50 mark, she responds to Martins's usual shite and talks about Ukraine which has now become his shield from accountability.

It's not right that people who don't need protection are coming in and abusing our system, and indeed our hospitality. That's not right. There are people coming in from safe areas so it clearly proves that our immigration policy is failing because there isn't a proper functioning policy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko3sxHvTv5Q&t=2s

Part of Martins response is what got me:

In my mind, the fundamental way to address these issues is that Source in terms of the societies from which people are seeking to leave and questions need to be asked why are they seeking to leave, because of authoritarianism, because of conflict and War, and because of climate change as well which is creating a migratory Trail given the ravages and that have been imposing and that's what many areas are now experiencing because of drought and various other weather events

Climate change ffs.....According to EU data Ireland's total greenhouse gas emissions, 1990-2021 increased by 6.2%, being the second from worst, after Cyprus. Ireland grew its population by 43% and Cyprus grew its population by 67% over this time period. 43% is large population growth in that time period. If Ireland is so concerned about its CO2 emissions, why are we so silent on immigration but yet so willing to import more co2 emitters?

Two quotes from Tanaiste Simon Coveney:

“I propose that Ireland should, as part of the Ireland 2040 planning framework, put in place a long-term strategic infrastructure plan to prepare for an all-island population of 10 Million people. We should seek to provide up to €20 Billion from sources including the European Investment Bank, private funders & increased exchequer provision”

"We estimate over the next 20 years that the population of Ireland will certainly grow by an extra million people. Linked to that estimate is that half of that number won't have been born in Ireland. I think that will be a really good thing for Irish society but we do need to manage it carefully so we don't allow the politics of migration to play a big part in Irish politics because I think it pulls us down a dangerous direction."

Yeh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Not surprising , lot of hypocrites on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,831 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

What evidence do you have that refugees that come to Ireland are criminals? If that was the case, we'd surely be hearing much more about it i.e. multiple cases involving refugees going through the courts and also evidence emerging that they were convicted criminals back in their own country.

Convicted criminals would hardly have that much interest in moving to another country to live in a refugee centre on a relative pittance (they would presumably want to be outside the system and working in the black economy at a bare minimum).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

They hardly ever give Ethnicity outside of Europeans. They hide the names too sometimes even though they are public record. Also sometimes they choose and English/Irish name and surname. And if they have citizenship they are treated as Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

UK bringing in a law if you arrive into the UK illegally you can’t stay in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

There is a shortage of housing in general. Blaming one group of people (in this case non-Ukrainian foreigners) is silly.

I also wonder how said asylum seekers even manage to come into Ireland without the Irish government wanting this to happen because swimming from Cherbourg to Rosslare is a bit chilly this time of year now isn't it. Clearly the government wants those people here otherwise they would never reach Ireland.

they’ve been trying various ways to do this for ages, including the Rwanda policy, as it doesn’t work. It’ll be struck down by the UKs own courts.

what they have done though, which will work, is reach agreement with the Albanian government that all Albanians arriving illegally (which is 1/3 of the total) are returned to Albania. As it’s designated a safe country, no Albanian will be eligible to have an asylum request processed in the UK, no matter their circumstance, man woman or child. If they feel they have a case they need to do it from Albania (though I doubt it will deter the ones who intend to land quietly and disappear into the black economy).

that should be the approach to all from safe countries

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Why are Bosnians and Albanians even considered for asylum? When climate change is considered a justifiable reason for asylum, then we are totally screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

I don’t think anyone is blaming them for the housing crisis outright.

You can’t deny however that the influx of thousands upon thousands of non-Ukrainian “refugees” over the span of a few months is exacerbating an issue that is already at crisis point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

True believers of unfettered immigration would accept crappy national tv ( nevermind climate change) as a legit reason for seeking asylum from one’s home state

open borders are an article of faith for many on the progressive left

• Registered Users Posts: 19,835 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Someone who is genuinely fleeing for their life might legitimately arrive on fake or no documents. In fact it actually legal to travel as such for that purpose.

So now you have a room of 100 people. One is in need of genuine asylum and will be killed if returned. 99 are not. You walk into that room and all you know is that none of them have any documents. The genuine one had to flee with no documents. The other 99 binned theirs on arrival. How do you want to solve that?

1) Send all back immediately even though one will be killed (but you don't know which one)?

2) Try to investigate all 100 to determine which ones are lying?

If you chose option 1, then how about an alternative scenario. There a room of 100 people with no documents again but this time 99 are genuine and one is not. Do you still choose option 1?

They would have had documentation in order to get on the plane in the first place. Fake or not, they needed it and the captain would tell them at the start of flight that their documents are required in order to disembark the plane. Absolutely no reason to get rid of documents if they are genuine. What purpose does it serve?

They should not be, and the UK is correct to deny the process to any and all Albanian nationals arriving illegally, irrespective of circumstance. There are legal routes from those countries for people who want to get out. We should do the same (though it does take agreement with the relevant country so that you can stick their nationals on a plane)

It might be extremely unlikely, or difficult, to get on board a plane with no documentation, but it would not be impossible.

Not all asylum claims are initiated at airports StrawbsM. What you appear to be suggesting would not be the panacea you might think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Because there is a consensus in all the main political parties here and unelected officials like Catherine Day that Ireland needs immigration. And that we should welcome it and deal with it. They wring their hands when the public are affected and complain but at happy at same time to leave the tap running. Why is this? You'd have to ask them, possibly to do with business labour requirements? Can't be for population replacement I think as Ireland has been a fecund nation over many decades and whilst might have slowed, still more births than deaths afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Jackiebt

One theory, and backed up by a recent case where a man was caught with several passports getting off a plane, is that they hand them to another person on the plane. Collect them later and use them to commit social welfare fraud and or other fraud down the line. 13 people presented themselves with no documentation and the same day this guy was found with all 13 passports/travel papers. Jailed for 5 years and rightly so.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-jailed-for-facilitating-illegal-immigration-into-ireland-1403722.html

Were you dropped on your head as a child? Would you like me to draw you a picture of an aeroplane? When you find the post where I was discussing any other mode of transport then come back to me.

Right now there’s a server somewhere in the world letting out a deep groan when it realises that it has to store another of your “doesn’t read what’s written“ posts.

Again, there are other ways of entering a country rather than airplane StrawbsM. You might have been the victim of an oul' dropping yourself if you are only away of the possibility of commercial flight.

A person can also enter at the airport, destroy their documentation later after entry through immigration, and turn up at a centre to claim asylum then. Are you not able to figure that out?

It is also perfectly valid to claim asylum if you have been living legally in a country for years, and then don't want to go back.

See, you're learning things today.

**** hell you’re a dose. If you want to chat about other ways of getting into the country then go quote and talk to whichever poster is discussing it. I am talking about aeroplanes!

Here’s a wee picture

I believe over 50% of asylum claims from Albanians in the UK are successful (2022), suggesting it is 'not' considered a safe country. There are serious issues such as human trafficking and modern slavery going on.

The Albanian people being deported are probably ones who can show no evidence that they were trafficked or faced threats from criminal gangs.

It’s a safe country with a legal path to asylum from within the country. It’s an EU accession candidate ffs. Sunak was right to call this out and announce the bill to bar any and all Albanians from asylum if arriving illegally. Agreement has been reached with the Albanian government to return everyone who arrives without prior permission irrespective of circumstance

• Advertisement

It's a bit of a total basket case compared to most European democracies though. Rife with state corruption, numerous criminal gangs, bribery, the black market, human trafficking, police corruption and harassment etc. The idea that it is a perfectly safe country to live in and nobody who lives there is at risk doesn't hold up.

Advertisement