Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***The Callisto Protocol*** PC, PS5, PS4, XB One, XB SX/SS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It happens a lot, as time goes by my brain seems to almost invent a new game. In my head, I thought a large portion of the opening of Dead Space was tense building with little action. Replayed it recently and the first scene is full of action. 😀

Still liked it though. I have this in the post and tracking says it arriving today, so fingers crossed the postman doesn't let me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The game is getting slated on Steam for being a stuttery mess. Hugely disappointing, but at this stage it's sadly par for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The Dead Spaces were awesome, even thought 3 was a blast. Playing this earlier and it's off to a good start. Unskippable cut scenes however is a major blow to my wanting to get on with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Another Unreal 5 disaster. It's absolutely insane that devs think this is acceptable. Sony have been adding pre compilation to their games and it works fine.

However there's an easier solution. Hire a proper engineer to code a shader compilation routine instead of relying on the fallback one in unreal 5.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Unreal 4, to be clear :) '#stutterstruggle' is very much a UE4 problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was thinking some reviews might be high with the money that has been going to sites to promote this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

7/10 seems to be the consensus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

So mid 70s on metacritic. That is not too bad, similar to dead space 3, which was the worst of the lot.

I think the review embargo has done more damage imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭BKtje

I'd love to say whether I like this or not but even with a 3090 I can barely run this.

If I run the game on Ultra the game reboot crashes during the opening cut scene. If I bring it down to medium and 2k it still stutters a lot before eventually crashing :(

Not playable currently unfortunately for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

First thing I noticed this evening when I logged into steam is that the game isn't showing on the 'Now Available' banner and carousel. I thought it was just me but apparently people on steam seem to think it was removed.

• Advertisement

Well got it working, had to drop it down from 4k and switch to dx11 but at least it's running now even though it still stutters. Enjoyable enough so far considering.

Funny thing is that the gpu rarely hits 50% load, really is just badly coded. A real pity.

I don't see it on steam anymore neither. Was there a still there a couple of hours ago. I guess because I have it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Been a while since a PC port has gotten such backlash. Even the fairly basic Elden Ring port was more general grumbling than the full on anger this one’s getting!

Can't say that I'm overly confident but fingers crossed.

Just read as well that you can preload the shaders by changing the config. Much longer load time but probably worth it! Will give it a try anyway.

So I bought the game in the end and started downloading yesterday evening. I got about 35 - 40 GB out of 63 and shut the machine down. This morning, steam was telling me I had to download 63GB again. So either the patch is quite big or steam is having a moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Texture caching usually hits the CPU hard which is why the GPU load is so low.

Elden Ring was a slight annoyance every so often. This looks like it's pretty much unplayable from the DF video.

Ah didn't know that. My CPU is getting old (8700k) but haven't noticed any spikes. I'll keep an eye on it tomorrow out of curiosity.

The patch has made a difference for the stuttering which is a bit less now thankfully. I also found the cause of my crashes, anisotropic filtering. As soon as I turned it off everything worked fine except the game is a lot uglier and non ray traced. I haven't tested it since the patch though.

I didn't get this as it was 10er more for current gen version on Series X vs last gen. I know that is a thing PS are used to but I can wait for a sale I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

If I were to buy the ps4 version then buy ps5 console down the line would I be able to play the ps5 version for free?

Am totally unsure how these enhanced next gen versions work as I've yet to make the leap to ps5 or xbox series x.

Postman unexpectedly turned up today with this. Played the opening hour, bar the low frame rate it's pretty enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

the combat is bad, it's just off. Massive disappointment for me and yet I still kinda like it

Getting into it now and really enjoying it. I don't know if it's just me or the dodging part of the melee combat is just not working half the time.

The tutorial says there is no timing window to dodge, just hold left or right on the left stick as an attack comes in. Or pull down to block it. But 50% of the time I'll hold the direction and he does nothing and I get killed.

There is one part where 3-4 enemies comes at you and I say it took me 10 attempts to get past it.

Now I got a gun and the grip you can keep enemies back and it's much better.

Really like the look of the place.

I am having no problems with dodge to be honest but I'm on pc.

The patch on sunday fixed 95% of the issues I was having. Solid 60 fps at 4k and ultra-settings and ray tracing (capped to keep the noise from the 3090 down to less than a jet engine) with some slight stuttering from time to time but manageable. Only time the cpu peaks to 80% is during the initial loading of the game meaning the initial splash sequences are quite slow to play but the CPU quickly drops again once in main menu.

Really enjoying it but nothing groundbreaking.

EDIT: Reading some benchmarks and my results are not possible with regards to framerate and RT, I'll have to double check my settings.

Post edited by BKtje on

I'm on PS5 it defaults to to the RT on and 30fps bits it's a good looking game. There is a performance mode, I didn't notice it before as you have to back out to the main menu to get it. That turns down the visuals and gives you 60fps.

Not as nice looking but smoother.

I'm getting better at dodging, I think some of the issues was pressing the melee button too fast.

It's still a pain with how clunky it can be when fighting multiple enemies. But still really liking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Cordell

Sounds like they've fixed it at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Cordell

Which one, the shader compilation issue, or the CPU bottleneck?

The stuttering(shader compilation) was mostly fixed with the first patch that arrived late Friday\early Saturday. I never actually saw any of these issues. By the time I got it downloaded on Saturday, the version I had was patched. I'm on a 3600 with an AMD 5800x. I went straight to DX11 as I find DX12 causes issues with most games on my system.

I see some framerate drops when I'm in areas with lots of flames. That's about it.

There was another (10GB) patch today with further improvements.

I'm on the second last chapter now and for a large part it is fairly good, but let down by some silly choices that are incredibly frustrating.

Poorly placed checkpoints. A checkpoint that reloads you just in front of the shop where you cash in all the items you collected, and spend the cash on doing your weapons, right in front of a boss battle. Every time you die (which is a lot due to the clunky combat) you have to go to the store again, and cash in all your items again, and do up your weapons again and again and again.

I tried a manual save after fixing up my weapons and the manual saves brings you to the last check point !!

Changing weapons is slow. It involves pressing right on the d-pad to open the menu, then you press up or down to find your gun, then you press X. Then it goes into the preset animation to swap weapons. So it's really hard to do when you have a few enemies near you. You do get a quick swap much later but even that is a bit wonky.

Everything is clunky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

I was really liking callisto protocol until near end of third chapter . First real wave of enemies I had to deal with and game completely fell apart for me . was impossible deal with waves of enemies due to the dodgy dodge system and not being able turn around and deal with enemies behind me . thought I had passed the section at one stage but game had glitched out and enemies wouldn't spawn 😀. Had to lower difficulty to pass section . obviously rushed game get it out before dead space because combat is fundamentally broken if facing more then one enemy? It looks and sounds incredible on ps5 . Might struggle finish it now with combat system so poor.

Advertisement