Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

There was an Abrekebabra on the Main St (as L2011 refers to) - where the Zip Yard was maybe? Had forgotten about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was where Pizza Dog is now. Zipyard was Hula-Bou clothes shop, one of the oldest shops in the town.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Yep think the Elite or the Barbers are the longest running now right?

Other than the banks and pubs the oldest would probably be McCormacks Pharmacy - 60s I think.

The Elite, the barbers, the shoe repair place at Tesco (if we're allowing name changes), Coynes butchers, Moulin Rouge, Dawsons are all long standing too - and Donovans and the butchers (name change again) out at Greenfield are both there ~40 years.

Out of interest, this is what's still around from a 1986 trade directory:

Mara's accountants (not in the same place), Bradys and Coonans estate agents (Bradys not in the same place), AIB, BOI, Ulster Bank, Moulin Rouge, PTSB (was Irish Permanent, and only franchise in one of the estate agents then), EBS (franchise and we then didn't have one for decades), the Elite, McCormack's pharmacy, Conroys Pharmacy (now McCartans and not in the same place), the dry cleaners at Tesco (as Embassy), shoe repair place at Tesco (as Jims), the barbers on the main street (as 2Guys), the motor factors (different name), Maxol (three buildings ago, but the same site), Donovans, Barretts, The Roost, McMahons (different name), Bradys, Romayos main street (as Fusciardis), Neligan Solicitors, Paddy Power (as Powers), Tommys Butchers (as Mulcahys)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It's adjacent to the bus stop which has a big hedge behind it. The nearest houses are in O'Neils park and are not directly facing it.

Branding for an Italian pasta place where Besburritos was.

Zambrero branding up on the unit at Manor Mills (was the bookies years and years back)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Used to frequent the Pearse Street Zambrero for lunch and it's very decent. Wouldn't have said it was the best, but it was always reliable, so I'm happy to see them popping up

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Maynooth becoming very crowded. It's offputting going into the carpark now it's so busy. Have to park a mile away.

Drive thru McDonalds is jammers all the time.

The 24 hour gym is busy any time of day, even at like 9 in the evening.

Romayos is crowded in the evenings in Greenfield

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

The ring road project really needs to get accelerated, the bit they are building is pretty well served already, out the Celbridge road and over the bridge to the Carton entrance. The bit that's hugely needed is the other side, school campus to college to the motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Passed a new pizza place (la Fola I think) setting up in Besburritos place, beside Yeah Burger yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

We're going to be in serious bother in the next few years. It's actually harder now in the mornings to get out of Maynooth on the Straffan road as it is to get in. Traffic lights are absolutely killing the place.

The lights at Mariavilla on the Moyglare road really throttle the traffic in the mornings trying to get down from the school. The sequence needs to be adjusted.

If the new development at Greenfields SC gets the go ahead it'll add further to the carnage.

Lidl is constantly rammed too in comparison to Kilcock, Celbridge or Leixlip.

I've said before that any ring road plans need to be scrapped at this stage and redone as they are out of date. Celbridge, Kilcock, Maynooth and Leixlip need a proper ring road. Any ring road like this should also link the M4 to the M7 removing the need to go through Clane. In years to come we will be thankful for doing this.

Regarding new shops still not sure what is going in at Tesco at this stage. It won't matter too much because if your coming from the M4 side of Maynooth it's probably quicker to take a trip to Liffey Valley depending on the time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Lidl - Griffin Rath - Dunboyne Road.

Then it's Dunboyne Road - School Campus.

So the real bottleneck that is the college doesn't get sorted for 20+ years

The new schools are probably worse than the College to be honest. Griffin Rath to the Dunboyne road is a serious distance too. Not sure how they are planing to do that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Ah yes the famous ring road that ends up at a set of traffic lights at LIDL. so traffic in morning either backs up along the ring road, along straffan road into the town or both. Amount of cars going onto motorway will also then need to be controlled so expect lights going up there too.

Back on topic - is that Falo pizzeria open yet? anyone braved it?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

We need to end car dependency altogether building more roads simply creates more traffic. T'Would be like an addict going to his doctor saying I'm struggling with the cocaine doctor ah says the doctor the problem is you don't have enough of it here's some more.

No. So much wrong with that head banger post I don't know where to begin with it.

Nothing wrong with it at all it is a universally recognised fact that the more roads you build the more cars will fill them but if you genuinely believe the magical ring road will solve maynooth's traffic problems then go ahead you're going to be sorely disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I agree with the sentiment, and that much more work needs to be done on removing the need for cars, but a ring road will definitely alleviate the situation in town. You only need to look down at Sallins to see that, the town itself is much nicer now.

The recent travel consultation talked about possibly removing cars from the Main Street, which could be brilliant, but you have to accept there'll always be a demand for cars, so there has to be an alternative

• Advertisement

If that's the case, does building more houses increase the number of people wanting to come here?

i.e Building more houses won't solve the housing crisis because it'll just mean more demand?

I take your point and most certainly agree with you about main street that should be for pedestrians only at present it is little more than a car park and surely a pollution hot spot as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭buffalo

If the houses were free to use and available to everyone, probably?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

Rumors that the shop units in Moyglare Hall are being considered to be repurposed for a creche unit. I assume this would need a planning application for change of use?

I'm not sure tbh. But in my view the it should be stated that a shop only can go in. That part of town is in desperate need of a convenience store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

I dunno about need the schools may have changed it but the shop in Moyglare Village never did very well and it was close to the main road. These have very limited parking and outside of the school's hours very little footfall. The builder has been around lately and the apartment above has gotten window blinds fitted etc so definitely some movement around them.

The **** lights at mariavilla stay green for 12 seconds only coming from moyglare into rhe town. What **** designed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Would save them building a purpose built creche on the site earmarked for it in the estate.

I'm not sure why the Moyglare Village shop never did well. maybe it was too small and needed another shop of some sort with with. Leixlip has a good few small groups of shops dotted around that seem to be doing okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

That and the traffic forcing their way into/out of the college (depending on time of day). Can take ages to get past when there's half a dozen coaches forcing their way through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭crl84

Was Moyglare Hall open when the shop closed?

I can't remember when it closed, but there certainly wasn't several phases of MH open when it did close, not to mention the school, and within a couple of years there'll be the Moygaddy Castle development of 360 units out that road, so should have far more footfall now.

Advertisement