Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Banshees Of Inisherin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,977 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Make a great change in fact a different movie altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,080 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It has been nominated for EIGHT GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS including BEST PICTURE, BEST DIRECTOR Martin McDonagh, BEST ACTOR Colin Farrell, BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS Kerry Condon, BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR Brendan Gleeson & Barry Keoghan, BEST SCREENPLAY, and BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Posting cold only just seeing off download.

I'd cut off my own finger not to watch that crap again.

Awful doesn't cut it.

Sister the only redemption.

• Advertisement

I heard an ad for it or someone talking about it on the TV or something a few days ago..they said something about toxic masculinity in 1920s Ireland..

I don't think I'll bother..

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭JKerova1

What a joke the Golden Globes. This is an awful film.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It would be a more interesting conversation if any of ye who disliked it could explain why, rather than just stating that it's awful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

First of all there's the pace of the thing, glacial. Obviouly a stage play with great cinematography.

Then there's the heavy accented dialogue, I nearly needed subtitles a few times & I'm Irish.

Then there's the justification of Colm's action when it came to his fingers, completely over the top. Perhaps there was a mental health issue here that could have been further explored but we just had to believe he took this action despite his profession.

The Barry Keoghan character shoe-horned in to add an abuse element with the father, seemed tagged on & went nowhere.

Lady McBeth putting on the spook for tension/drama.

My main complaint is that it never really went anywhere & when it did it just didn't matter, only character with any sort of resolution was the sister.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The pacing and relative lack of plot definitely do make for a slow-moving film; I think for me seeing it on a big screen helped in that regard as the landscape shots looked gorgeous.

And yeah, I'd agree that with Colm's IMO irrational decision and insistence on sticking to it, it needed more depth than it was given to really work. In the same way that the scene where Siobhan corrects Colm's historical musings raises the question of how these two who are clearly intelligent and fairly well-read have somehow never struck up any kind of friendship.

I was pleasantly surprised by Keoghan's turn in this; I've not seen him in much but this was easily the most range he's shown. I thought the aspect with the father was an unsubtle yet effective comment on the normalisation of abuse of authority at the time, particularly the way that nobody else seems concerned or surprised by it when Paraic reveals it.

Thanks for the longer reply - it's interesting to see what works (or doesn't) for different people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

The story of the movie acts as an allegory for the civil war, which we see happening in the background. Men who were once friends are now seemingly enemies, and over what?

The cutting of the fingers seems to show the lengths these fighting men are willing to go to make their point - even if it means harming themselves in the process.

The death of the young lad and the donkey highlights the innocent victims caught up in the war; the sister moving away mirror those who's lives were uprooted by the war.

Gleeson's character wanting to write a piece of music that he'll be remembered by is like the war leaders wanting their actions to be remembered. But his piece wasn't memorable and it didn't seem like it would have that impact.

And what was left? The two lads parting on the beach, both sides stuck in their beliefs, to the detriment of all. And for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the lengths and also maybe that it made no sense and was self sabotage, much like the civil war itself made no sense and was highly irrational

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 60,529 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Arrives on Disney+ here next week in the 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Really didn't get it either. Like it was watchable but just not very engaging or entertaining. I watched a Polish film recently called Cold War, which was also slow enough, but it was one of the best films I've seen in years. The Banshees was just a load of nonsense thrown together and I'd never want to watch it again. I can't for the life of me understand why it's getting all the praise, the acting was fine but not incredible, slim pickings this year it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Just finished this. Surprised to see such divisive comments.

Thought Farrell and Keoghan were excellent in this, in fact I thought all the cast were great. Think the themes and bleakness of island life are depicted very well. Lots of interesting symbolism and allegories too. A strong 8/10 from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭bassy

Taught it was a film about ??????, mond boggling to think it's nominated for 8 awards lol lol,think I might chance the filming industry myself.

What a borefest of a movie about zero I'll cut my fingers off if u keep trying to talk to me,shocking film full stop............

But the daft yanks will be suckered in..................

And I bet it cost small money to make and produce, terrible sh1te show

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭El Duda

Film of the year for me

Banshees of Inisherin – 9/10

Much like Cavalry, this feels like it could have been a bleak instalment of Father Ted. It would be such a miserable film if it wasn’t so funny. At one point I found that the bleakness just became too much, and I started choking up. There was no one development that triggered it, it just felt like the depression, misery and despair become so relentless that it pushed itself over a threshold. 

It has gotten right under my skin and I’m still thinking about it 3 days later. I’m going to try and see it again this week. I went in expecting it to end up being my film of the year and it delivered. 

It’s going to get nominated in loads of categories at the Oscars, but the one that stands out for me must be Barry Keoghan who puts in a career best performance. In a film where almost every piece of dialogue feels so real, Barry Keoghan takes it to a new level. 

Absolutely superb. McDonagh can do no wrong.

SPOILERS

I ended up seeing it in the cinema again and it hit much harder on an emotional level. I genuinely feel a bit sorry for anyone who could watch this and not get anything out of it. There's a lot of hidden depth.

One thing that jumped out on a second watch was the importance of the animals/pets. Pádraic (Farrell) uses the donkey as comfort for his trauma. Colm (Gleeson) has the dog which no doubt must have helped him through all of his "despair". The thing that happens to one of the pets is a huge turning point for Colm. He knows full well how important a pet is to a struggling man. Depriving Pádraic of his one and only joy in life made him realise the consequences of his own actions. It says a lot about mans relationship with animals and how we depend on them. Especially on a rural Irish island in the 1920's.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Ferm001

Watched this on Thursday night and still trying to figure if a brilliant bit of writing or a pile of Drivel.

The civil war analogy mentioned earlier has given me more food for thought.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Meanwhile, there's quite a lot of people on social media who didn't realise the movie was a period piece and thought it depicted modern day Ireland ☹️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I hated Calvary so I suspect I’d feel the same about this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

A couple of good lines in it to make you laugh but overall pretty poor. I always like Farrell and Gleeson and I suppose they played the roles given to them well, don't know what anyone sees in Keoghan though. No plot or storyline. Not even in same ballpark as In Bruges and I'm baffled how it got so many award nominations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭flatty

Must be a very poor year because it was like a stretched (to breaking point) chapter of Dul, with a deeply contrived storyline, and mediocre acting (bar the sister).

Partly rescued by some drone footage of the Aran Islands and Connemara, I really can't understand the love in. It's his worst film. Calvary was far far far better (as was The Wonder).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭horse7

This is the best Irish actors film I've seen since Brooklyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

totally agree..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Just watched it and I think it's brilliant. Well written, beautifully put together.

All 4 put in a good performance, but Barry and Kerry are the standouts for me. I thought Colin was actually the weakest of them and even he was excellent.

A tough piece of writing. There are lots of pensive moments. Some might think it drags but I always think silence is hard to act well. How to fill that empty space with the atmosphere the viewer can't feel without overacting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,532 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Watched it last night, liked it well enough, but will have to let it ruminate for a few days to see exactly where I fall on it.

Lots of thoughts that have already been stated here, but one notion I had that hasn't been mentioned is really just Colm's arc. I kind of think of him as Martin himself in this movie - or at least the common perspective of an artist - as the creator/artist who has trouble with his own need to create, and the guilt that comes from not creating. Both men effectively have everything they need in life, but can't quiet the gnawing urge/addiction driving them to keep creating.

Before the film starts, we know Colm has been to confession about his 'despair'. I think maybe the whole film is Colm's story of self-sabotage, effectively using his friend in this callous way out of desperation to force a situation where he can justify (to himself) going to these extreme lengths, that ultimately remove the pressure from him to make new music.

He's a fiddle player who says he craves the solitude to create, but decides to make his point by removing the fingers he needs to play. Which is obviously nonsensical, he could have done any number of other things that would've been far less contradictory - unless it's a roundabout way of him using this situation to remove that guilt and pressure from his shoulders. As he says once they're gone, "it's a relief in a way". It's sort of like a self-lobotomisation to bring him down to everyone else's level again, just be able to live in peace.

Siobhan is maybe the sane/healthy, or perhaps simply earlier-stage perspective, giving in to her growing desire to write/work in the arts, and taking the leap from the small town to the broader world. Padraic is the resentful everyman, damaged or left behind by these artists passions and obsessions.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Was alright, looked lovely...........but I just saw the characters from 'In Bruges' throughout, so in that respect it didn't work for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Relikk

The first half was hilarious, but Keoghan bothered me every time he was on screen. His accent is one of the weirdest things I've ever heard from a natural born Irishman. All over the place and irritating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Advertisement