Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless homeowner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Thread title says 'Homeless Homeowner'

It's you that seems to want it to be about landlord v tenant when it's about something much deeper, the housing shortage that creates a situation outlined in the original post.

Start another thread if thats all you can add.

Finally, re your statement that 50% of this site is welfare bashing or something like that. Everyone knows that between 50 and 76.749% of statistics are made up on the spot. I can't quite decide what the percentage is.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,890 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Are landlords not allowed to discuss being landlords now?

Anyone else who's not allowed to use boards.ie according to TipsyMcStagge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭howiya

From the timelines in her interview with the Irish Times and RTE I get the impression that even if the notice was valid in the first instance she still would have been snookered by the eviction ban. The required notice period, assuming a 1 year tenancy, would have still taken her into the eviction ban period.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,698 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I can't say I agree with the assertion that you have to own somewhere for it to be your home. I rented the same house for 9 years til it was sold earlier this year and I certainly considered it my home. It wasn't my house, though, so obviously it was the owner's decision to make to sell it, but it was my home for a very long time and I loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

First of all it is not her home the minute she rented it out it stopped being her home it became an asset. She is not paying for the home she purchased the tenant is. She is the one trying to bring emotion into it she as you say correctly became involved in a business transaction a transaction which is governed by the laws of the state which she failed to correctly adhere to and therefore is in the predicament she is in.

Not at all I just refuse to engage in and let ye away with your pathetic poor me act.

Discuss how much profit ye're making then or is it only the poor me self pitying bullsh!t ye like to discuss.

Master of the Universe

Currently I make approx 14% profit on my property investment.

The government makes appox 50% in taxes.

My tenants get a home at about 20% under current market rate living close to where they're studying. (they don't need a permanent residence in Dublin as they're foreign students)

I see that as a fairly good result for all round to be honest.

Now what have you done for yourself, the economy or the housing market lately?

Jesus at long last a landlord willing to admit they make profit a rare beast indeed. As for my contribution I work a job pay my taxes and pay my mortgage though I spent 10 years paying another lazy pr1cks mortgage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Well weren't you an idiot to pay someone else's mortgage

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Ireland. Where possession really is nine tenths of the law. Soon to be ten tenths.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If she wanted her property back so she could live in it then she should have followed the correct process to remove a tenant. She has admitted that she did not do this and now has been caught in an eviction ban set by the state. It's unfortunate but not the end of the world. However, as she has chosen to turn her "home" into a business and collect money by renting it out then she should follow the rules (which are subject to change). If she doesn't like this then she should not have become a landlord.

This thread is about a homeless woman despite how you want to interpret the situation. This is this person's home, a home she bought and is paying for. It is not the home of the person renting the property no matter what you feel. It is a commercial trans pure and simple.

She made herself homeless so if she is unable to find somewhere to live then she should use the handsomly paid support services available.

It is not, however, her home no matter how many times you say it. She gave up the right to call it her home once she and the tenant signed the lease. Nobody forced her into that contract. Nobody twisted her arm. She made a choice to turn her property into a business. If she was unaware of the various risks then maybe it was not a prudent business choice for her to make. By signing the contract she agreed to allow the tenant peaceful use of the property until they leave - it is the tenant's home no matter how many times you say otherwise.

In fact, if you are a landlord and this is your view, then maybe you're probably not in the right business either!

If people want their own home then either purchase one or ask the state to provide one. I emphasis the State (not the private sector) who is there to support those incapable of doing so themselves.

Some people do want to rent. They have their reasons and don't want to buy or be dependant on the state.

Master of the Universe

You seem to have it in your head that landlords are folks sitting in mansions wearing monocles sipping sherry all day.

I have a 9-5 like you and pay a mortgage on my home, which I'm sure your 'lazy prick' previous landlord did too.

I was just lucky enough to be able to retain my previous home which I turned into an investment property.

As an aside, where would you have lived for ten years if not for the previous property you rented?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭touts

"Homeless Homeowner" Ah sure PBP and SF will solve that after the next election. They will take the house from her and give it to the tenants. Then she'll just be "Homeless".

Far, far easier to get out of a mortgage than it is to get out of renting your property out.

That's a great idea except of course that won't happen as this country has some of the most pro landlord pro property owner legislation in Europe thanks to that parasite Paddy Madigan.

What choice did I have? we can't all stay at home with mammy and daddy or have them buy a property for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

We can clear semantics up really quickly. THe property owner can call the place her "home" so is a "homeowner" when she rents it out she still own the the property and the tenant calls it their "home". Therefore the property owner is still a "homeowner". As the landlord has no place to live they are "homeless". They are not mutually exclusive even though in language it appears to be against both being possible.

I think you will find I have not said that she did everything right. It still doesn't stop it being a ridiculous situation to come about. It is an illustration of how messed up the market is. It should be easy for people to move about and not to find loopholes to force a landlord to rent to them.

All things being reasonable the tenant should have been able to accept the notice and find a new place. The eviction ban hurt the tenant too as people aren't moving and also not renting out places because of the ban there are less places to move to.

The reality is landlords have to stick to the rules when tenants don't and bad rules creates more problems.

I personally think going to Dubai to work tax free in a modern slave built city is abhorrent. She has fallen foul of the rules and ultimatly that is just life but if you don't find it is an absurd situation then I don't understand your view other than a hatred of landlords.

I think you might have been asleep for 4 or 5 years if you think we are moving in any sort of good direction . :)

Time to wake up. Its Christmas. The Turkeys voted for it. And whats funny is they are still queuing up to vote for it.

• Advertisement

What choice did you have, it sounds like some landlord forced you to rent. You decided to leave home or the folks kicked you out either way you had two options either buy a place or rent. Without landlords you would probably have been living with mammy and daddy for a lot longer.

Also from your previous posts I don't think you understand how a mortgage works, the person who purchases the property pays it back from income earned, you were paying rent for use of the property.

Yeah I suppose I could have just bought a place just like that because that's how it works. I don't consider income obtained while being a landlord to be income earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I'm not sure we should even ascribe the term landlord to someone who lets out their PPR lock stock and barrel. Much and all as I hate the term accidental landlords and the whining that comes with it. It probably describes these people in some way. The whole thing is a bit like someone trying to fix a heating system by watching how to videos on youtube the repair/solution is usually shoddy. Things change in this world surely Covid has reminded people of that. A right whiff of naivety and entitlement off the property owner who has made herself homeless by choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Is it not fair to say the landlord you now seem to despise gave you choice on where to live (i.e. Not at home with parents).

The way you look at things is distorted. To say while you paid someone else's mortgage is not technically correct. No tenant is responsible for paying a mortgage on a property they are renting. That is the responsibility of the owner (if there is a mortgage) . Some landlords stopped paying their mortgage in the middle of the recession and the banks had to appoint a receiver to collect rent direct from the tenant. While a tenant resides in a property, the rent they pay is for the use of that property and nothing more than that.

Why not go further and say the rent is being used to pay the tax on the landlords profits, which again would miss the point.

When you handover money in return for something, your money is at some stage going to be used to pay a bank loan or tax. Applies to a corner shop or Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Nobody forced you to have a landlord you had other options. You keep telling us that everybody else has options so who took away sleeping on the street from you? Who made it so no family or friend would take you in? It sounds kind or harsh to hear but seeing as that is how you talk to others you can't really have a problem with it, right?

I rented for 10ish years myself, most people did. LL's provided a service to mostly young workers up until the late noughties when the aspect of long term provision of social housing was lobbed onto Landlords without there asking for it.

I left home in my early teens after leaving school. Nobody handed me anything nobody bought me anything.

You seem a very balanced individual with a chip on both shoulders

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

The tenant entered into a commercial trans pure and simple. They signed a contract nothing more nothing less. The laws of the State are enacted over night to cover the failure of the system. If the eviction ban was not in place the issue would have been resolved a lot quicker.

Master of the Universe

So on one hand you are happy to use the services of a landlord to make up for your own shortcomings in not being able to buy a place, but on the other hand you think there should be no landlords/rental properties.

You really are a bag of inconsistencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

She did not make herself homeless. She choose to rent her home under the rules and regulations in place at the time. A significant number of legislative changes have been enacted since she choose to rent her home (most notably the eviction ban).

As a moderator you should not be casting aspirations on me without knowing me. For your information I am a landlord for the last 13 yrs and I have had the same tenant with me throughout the 13 yrs and has moved with me from property to property.

People have every right to rent but with renting they are doing just that they are renting. They get the use of the property for the period in question, they don't use the rigged system to their benefit.

• Advertisement

The problem now is that less and less property that is short-terms vacant will be rented. She did not make herself homeless by choice. The government changed the rules ( which they have done something like 20 ISH times in relation house tenancy in the last 5-6 years, 4-5 times in the last year) and made her homeless.

However it's not a case of feeling or not feeling sorry for her, the whiff of naivety and entitlement is from those that think that this has no impact on anyone but her.

It will impact supply. There is posters pointing this out for the last 5 years that constant changing of the rules will reduce rental supply and that this will have implications. All the tinkering is doing is reducing supply and encouraging people to leave vacant property empty.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement