Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Another dreadful road day here and just saw that it's to get worse tomorrow...my nerves can't handle it. This was the road to our school this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Take care CL, hopefully you made it safe and sound.

OH has been picking up bit and pieces of party food over the last few shops. We have a few vegan family members and she said Dunnes have really upped their game on this.

Morning all

Bit warmer this morning and didn't seem to freeze here last night (we are close to the sea so frosts are usually not as severe). Finally got all the decorations finished off last night as OH wanted to change a few things around. One more thing to tick off the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Few more Christmas bits in the home reductions section on the Dunnes website.

They've gorgeous stockings with initials on them. They only have 3 out of the 4 I'd need...raging!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

Always found a good variety of party food in Iceland, not too pricey either.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Hard to believe I only have 5 working days left until I'm off for Christmas! Well two days consist of pizzas and wine & cheese next week! :D

Wrapped all of the presents over the weekend and brought drinks in so all left to do is food shopping! Some of you mentioned Indian selection so I think I might order some for NYE now! ;)

Sorry to hear about sick babies and hope all are on the mend now! Hope mini loughc had a great birthday too! :D

Haven't started any wrapping at all. Think that will be job for a few evening next week when kids are in bed. I wrap better after a couple of drinks 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

I had few hot whiskey's wrapping! ;) I didn't plan on doing it but kids went down easily on Saturday night so I thought I'd get started then! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

4 more working days left to Christmas hols for me and I can’t wait!!!

• Advertisement

7 for me at the minute however plan to take at least one day off next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

@DvB - That's good to know about Dunnes, my youngest is a vegetarian so I'll definitely pop in there tomorrow to pick some up.

@CheerLouth - those roads look treacherous 😱

Very cold here but we seem to be escaping the worst of it judging by the posts on here. We went swimming today and whilst the water was freezing the sun was shining which definitely makes it easier. Spent the afternoon wrapping presents so feeling pretty happy with myself now. Can't believe how quickly the big day is flying in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Couldn’t believe it when I heard 11 sleeps mentioned on Christmas fm earlier, time is flying by

I got my mams decorations done over the last few days, all the cards are posted accept neighbours, no presents wrapped yet, not completely finished present shopping yet hopefully finish by Friday Sunday by the very latest

Housework I just have to keep on top of and give the fridge and freezer a clean, big shop and food drink gifts to be done plus dinners for next week then just get the fresh stuff for the big day

How is everyone else getting on?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oooh, those stockings are reduced down to €5!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

5 workdays left for me, but with the days being at least 12 hours work at a time they're going to leave me absolutely shattered. Already running on empty if I'm honest.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

They're gorgeous aren't they! Maybe I'll just change my daughter's name to one with a letter they have in stock 🤣 I wouldn't mind but her name begins with I so I don't know how that's not in stock...thought they'd have loads of them left over 😆

They have one with a heart on it, just say it's because she's your favourite. 😁

I was actually contemplating getting the heart one for her 🤣 Will be in Dunnes in the morning so I'll see if they, by some miracle, have one for her 😁

Fingers crossed! 😁 🤞

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Maybe if you ask at the customer service desk they may be able to find one for you in another branch and have it delivered to them the next day or so. I know M&S used to do it, not sure if Dunnes does it, too, but nothing ventured...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just finished a 14 hour day in work same as yesterday but I won’t complain two more working days to go!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Same as DvB, I'm running on empty too. Manic busy in work and the freezing overnight is making things very difficult. I am in everyday bar Sunday till Christmas Eve so in for 8 of the next 9 days. I am just going to flake out from the 24th onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

It’s a cold one out there

@jellybear Dunnes use to check other stores for you, worth a try, if I am in Dunnes I will keep an eye out I’m due to go to town tomorrow too so I can check or if when you are in store today have them check and ask them to hold I could pick it up I’m going to Henry Street just let me know x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Waking up to the news about the Irish soldier killed in Lebanon. With a close family member in the DF, it has hit very close to home...their poor, poor family. Utterly devastating

Awh thanks @SarahLil. You're so good!

Just checked the Dunnes website there and they've loads of Christmas bits in the home and kids sales section....not showing a reduced price yet but keep an eye for bargains 😆

Off to do my weekly shop...brrrrrrrr!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The M.E is in overdrive but I am well used to that so am pootling and pottering... adding decorations etc to the big gate.. Knitting the sweetest wee gold thread bells with real jingles... They sold so well when I was market/craft fair trading for my faith family overseas work with needy folk. .. One lady used to try playing a tune on them.. Ah memories... lol...

Cathedral carol services from my homeland- England...Unsurpassable

The local support services ( nearly 80 here and disabled/all but housebound) have suddenly realised I am here so cooked meals are arriving once a week from the Lunch Club! Positively pampered I am! Love it! Not one to ask for these things..

Most of my food and other supplies are in. I am offshore so with the weather needful to stay ahead ... NB I have a turkey and ham ready meal tucked away in the freezer AND a whole chicken..so let the weather do its worst...

Oh my only gifts are to my nearest neighbours.. The ferryman and his brothers.. I knitted warm cabled chunky hats and as the weather is so cold.. gave them last week , it being cold, but he is still wearing a tatty old one i knitted years ago!!! Need to get it off him to fix a huge hole...

For the rest it will be ecards, phone calls...

So now I can just enjoy the season... Snow atop the mountains and all

• Advertisement

Very sad. His poor family. Anything this close to Christmas just makes it more heartbreaking. ☹️

Advertisement