Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers leaving Dublin schools due to accommodation costs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I think you might be forgetting about the cost? Maybe when the next round of salary negotiations come around they could look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I suppose I can only speak for myself but I think it'd be money well spent to ensure that we can retain public servants in the areas where we're currently struggling to retain them... And, tbh, you'll rarely find me in opposition to any public investment in education. It's not a silver bullet but it's the closest thing we'll ever get to one in Ireland.

That said. Were a government to unilaterally introduce a "Rent Pressure Zone Tax Credit" for public sector workers living in those areas as part of Budget 2024 (or even in advance of it), it'd put them in a far stronger position for the next round of salary negotiations. Equal pay for equal work is a nice theory but it falls apart in the real world when the cost of living is different in different regions.

Teachers (and other public servants) aren't struggling to house themselves in rural Mayo (as can be easily seen by the amount of McMansions in that part of the world) but they certainly are in South (and greater) Dublin and other high rent areas e.g. Galway City. It makes far more sense to target whatever financial resources our state has available to ensuring the adequate provision of public services in areas where we're struggling to do that than to give blanket wage increases that effectively result in some public servants being over-paid whilst others are struggling to make ends meet.

Maybe it should have been taken into account during the last round of negotiations recently? Personally, I think any available money should be invested to provide subsidised rentals to low income workers, not just public servants. Next time, if the government has X allocated to salary increases it can be up to the unions to negotiate for some kind of Dublin allowance.

This is the problem with insisting on everyone being treated the same and within the salary scales. Trying to hire programmers from the private sector but insisting they come in on EO/AO scales is unrealistic in my opinion. Likewise, if you have trouble hiring physics or maths teachers (who have more options in private sector than say religion or irish teachers), maybe we would need to have some sort of additional payment for those areas.

I don't think we fundamentally disagree HerrKuhn.

I do think it's unlikely you'll ever see the unions push for Dublin (or RPZ) allowances when such a move would cause division in their ranks when you'd have many from outside those areas who would see it as sacrificing what they'd see to be their own well-deserved pay increase for their faceless colleagues in different geographic areas.

While I agree we also need a major investment in social housing provision, the private sector already has premiums in place for high-rent areas as they're operating in a market system: they already know they need to (and do) pay more for staff in high cost of living areas or with niche skillsets.

Well it is up to union members to push for it. Private sector companies will most likely pay people more if they are working in Dublin, but the salaries are also probably negotiated, so you would have people working in what unions would regard as the same job in the same office with different pay, depending on ability. I prefer this system, I think it benefits those who perform better. The unionised system benefits those who are below average. If the civil service needs to attract skilled workers in certain areas, like tech, they need to make it attractive to them. Hint: a programmer is not doing the same job as an AO/EO, you need to have a more specific and appropriate salary scale.

We need a solution to the housing crisis generally, not making it easier for public servants to afford housing while doing nothing to resolve the issue. There are plenty of PS and private sector workers who don't have a problem with housing (including me), so a blanket type approach is not required.

• Advertisement

Unions are never going to agree to individuals negotiating their own salaries, it's pretty much the opposite of what they're designed for (i.e. collective bargaining), so while I don't fundamentally disagree with your point of view, I don't think it's remotely realistic to expect such a change to happen. I'm a firm believer in not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good and imo, some form of premium - whether implemented as an additional payment incentive or a tax credit - is necessary to ensure public services in Dublin (and other high cost of living areas) don't end up falling far behind those provided in other regions.

BTW: there are already different grades for IT staff in many PS organisations but I'd agree the salary levels are very unattractive for them - recently looked at one myself until I realised that despite being a Director of IT role, the salary scale started around 63k!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Paternity leave also exists and can actually be harder to cover because it's short term. A 6 month contract is more attrative than a 4 week one.

With career breaks the covering teacher is permanent within 2 years.......thats the law. I don't think you have any idea how bad the recruitment and retention crisis is in the city if you think we aren't making teachers permenent as fast as possible to keep them. We will loose teachers if career breaks are revoked, absolutly no one I've spoken to in any school in the city thinks otherwise and no one I know on career break will be coming home if they do. These aren't stupid people, the population spike is only entering secondary now so it will be easy enough to wander back home in a few years with a deposit and get another job in the city. he country is simply completely different.

It is often claimed that it is very difficult to find a permanent position as a teacher. So, I am not sure how realistic it is that someone finds a position for the 2 years continuous. The number of teachers a school has (and are paid for by the state) is related to the number of pupils is it not? So they will need to take this into account when making a teacher permanent if they are expecting someone to come back, possibly years later.

If a teacher is already on a multi year break, we have already "lost" them I am afraid. The vast majority of people who go to the ME will live there only temporarily, for very obvious reasons. Any deposit that they have at the end of it will be well earned.

TBH, if someone is immoral enough to go work in Dubai/Qatar etc. I'm not sure we should be letting them within an asses roar of our schools anyway...

Well, I don't agree with that. Up to them if they want to trade the downsides for the benefits. I just don't think they should have the possibility to keep their position open for years while they work abroad. I get the benefit to the teacher, I just think it is a disadvantage to everyone else.

• Advertisement

And up to us if we want to hire people who support the oppression of women and exploitation of migrant workers from impoverished backgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭amacca

Immoral?...bit of a stretch?

It might be the only way they have to ultimately get themselves a house in this country on any sort of reasonable timescale etc

I certainly never viewed anyone that went off to ME as immoral anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I wonder is it immoral for a teacher to work in a catholic school here then too? Going by the previous posters logic i would imagine it would be immoral too

Better living everyone

Sorry for the tangent. I just find it morally indefensible to profit off the misery of others just so to avoid paying income tax. For all that I believe the Catholic Church has no place having any involvement in our education system, at least their crimes against humanity seem to be (hopefully) a thing of the past.

I don't want to derail

I can see the point but I'd view them as possibly being people doing what they have to in order to provide for themselves ...what good will it do or change will it cause if every teacher decided not to go over there and teach?...I'd imagine ultimately yhe society becomes even more insular and rigid + exploitative......I'm not saying the teachers are going over there espousing the virtues of a free democratic society but surely some mixing etc is taking place for some good rather than nothing at all?

I'd call the immoral ones the people involved in directly causing the misery in the first place....but I take the point I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Treppen

The Allowance for teachers on islands never really caused division within unions.

But really though how much more would it take to keep a teacher in Dublin. If you're talking about paying rent and saving for a deposit then I'd say that's at least an extra 10k. Which of course is not 10k disposable income after taxes are taken into account.

I don't think anything will be done. New minister soon so they'll stay talking about school places and new classes for kids with additional needs. Speaking about Dublin won't really get them anywhere, so they'll probably just tell us they are going to 'form a committee to examine the issue'.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭The Real President Trump

And yet the moaning continues, entitlement ? Laziness ? Middle Class Karen's ?

A finish time of 2:30 in the afternoon, 'Golden Hour' Friday's, I think working for a living is at the crux of the problem

It's very easy to find a permanent job in the right subjects in Dublin. Very, very easy. I could walk out of my job now and into another with little or no bother. This is only getting worse, that why we are discussing this.

Stafd can be redeployed if the school is over quota. The school doesn't care about that long term, they just want to cover the timetable that year and are always happy to get a good teacher. You don't really seem to know how schools run, either at local or department level.

We are currently waiting for a few staff to return, really good staff, no issue keeping a job open for someone who might do it for the next couple of decades if they want to head off for 2 years. The staff who have covered for them will also be kept, again good teachers in a hiring crisis so no problem . In the long term that makes strategic sense. These are the calculations management in schools make. Plenty of people on here in management in schools or who've sat or boards or acting as stewards who can give more insight too from experience and knowledge. And plenty were here a decade ago pointing out that the 2 year dip was a massive issue, not least because young staff now owe more so going abroad to pay it back is also more attractive.

Could a teacher ever afford a house in south dublin that they had to actually buy on the open market

I think there's a rash assumption and rosy eyed perceptions of the past going on

A masterstroke....you should be in charge of these things!

I look forward to your next pronouncement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Random sample

If this doesn’t solve the teacher shortage I don’t know what will.

Yes, several of the older teacher in my school own houses in now very affluent areas of the city. Nice three/four beds. None of the staff under 40 do unless they have a partner with a high paid job.

It also means long commutes, young staff, no continuity in the next couple of decades and fewer extra curriculars for kids in the city. The roving gangs in the city at the moment didn't come from nowhere, they come out of deprivation and a lack of services though covid, wait until the full effect of a revolving door of teachers comes to fruition, we are already seeing kids into secondary essentially illiterate, not something we saw a decade ago. Students in deprived areas of the city are not getting any AEN services in the majority of schools I know. But giving out about teachers sure will solve this!

So then they are just the same as everyone else, as all those who raised issues about having to move out of the city, not having family support for any children they have, having to commute

In essence teachers are preaching privilege and entitlement over and above everyone else. Teachers do not experience life and death situations like firefighters or paramedics or doctors, there are many many people that are more important than them, collectively they need to grow up, get back to work and stop moaning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Random sample

I think you are missing the point. The teachers ARE working. They are just choosing to work in areas they can afford to live. Are you suggesting forcing people to work in the cities? Who should take that hit?

🤣 except that they won't, they will just look for alternatives....

You have your whinge tinted glasses on and seem to be mistaking a logical statement for a moan! There's no "preaching privilege" in that post you replied to afaics

They might get back to work if there was no other alternative but like others they will look for better alternatives.......as will firefighters, paramedics etc if they can for that matter

Ffs I know tradespeople that wouldn't consider it worth their ehile taking anything long term in Dublin etc ...they would need a premium so they just take handier stuff near home

Ultimately they ain't preaching anything....they are voting with their feet, what could be more grown up than that🤔

It's not like the issues are caused because teachers are having an immature strop 🤣

In the past, yes, you'd have had plenty of single income households living on a teachers salary buying in solid middle class South Dublin areas like Ranelagh, Rathfarnham etc.

In today's market, a single teacher or a family relying on a single income wouldn't have a hope of buying anywhere in Dublin. Even in their 10th year on the current scale, that single income couldn't afford anything in the greater Dublin area.

Since modern day Dublin pretty much requires a dual income household in order to be able to buy anything let's examine the scenario of a couple where both are secondary teachers in their 5th year on the scale since most couples tend to form between individuals of relatively similar education and income levels and that's around the point most are beginning to look to buy. It could just as easily be a teacher and a nurse/garda/fund accountant etc. though the last example are likely to have a higher income in their 5th year of work post graduation since the private already pays a premium for Dublin workers.

If we take the basic pay scales posted by TUI, that imaginary couple of two teachers would have a household income of €92,176. Using the current 3.5 multiplier (yes, that increases to 4 in the new year but lets assume they're prudent) that'd give them a maximum mortgage of €322,616 so a max house price just north of 358k (i.e. a 90% mortgage).

As of today's listings on Daft, filtering for 3 bed properties for sale there are 208 listings in South County Dublin under 350k and a further 169 in South Dublin City. None of them are in Foxrock / Sandycove / Rathfarnham or the like but it is, just about, possible for that imaginary couple to buy a 3 bed in Tallaght/Clondalkin/Lucan etc. (or indeed in my own neck of the woods in North County Dublin).

The big issue at is that this same imaginary couple would have the exact same purchasing power if their teaching jobs were in Roscommon, New Ross, Sligo, Cork etc. In these areas they could relatively easily afford a large, walk in condition 4 or 5 bed detached home on half an acre (or more).

For the teacher (and many other public servants on country-wide pay scales) it's a no-brainer: Dublin just doesn't offer anything close to the same lifestyle on their salary level. And unless we move to remote learning, we're still going to need teachers in Dublin, so it seems to stand to reason that we need to pay them a premium to work there. It's never going to be possible to pay enough of a Dublin premium to afford a large 4 bed detached property in Forxrock but there's no reason they shouldn't be able to afford to buy a decent 3 bed in a reasonable area.

I am not sure what relevance some golden age in the past for public sector workers has to the situation today. In the past we had very high unemployment, high emigration, very little in the way of high skilled labour in foreign companies and jobs in the public sector were valued for their high salaries (relative to the peasants) and stability. At that time the unimaginative teacher and garda couple could certainly afford to buy in an area they would never be able to afford now. The jobs are still good and pay significantly above average, but there are plenty of jobs paying more and the population has increased substantially.

The salary for a teacher is not necessarily a block to buying a house, it is more a problem that they find it hard to get full time positions. If you have 2 earners, on the same sort of salary scale as a teacher, they will be able to buy in Dublin if they save for a several years. We had about 9 years accumulated savings when we bought in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Treppen

I suppose, to your last point, will an NQT hang around for 9 years to accumulate enough to live in Dublin the same way you did in 2012…? I don't think rents are on a par .

Keep in mind in 2012 you could go for maybe a 20-25 year mortgage. Whereas now I suspect you'll be paying a mortgage for up to 30 years. There used to be a bit of a buffer before whereby the mortgage was paid off in your 50s and you could help your own kids out with college or a house deposit. Not sure if that's possible to plan for with today's Dublin NQTs.

I think it depends on how long it takes them to get a full time job. If you have 2 people, both on 40-ish type salaries, starting off early 20's. Save 1k a month each over a number of years, you have a great deposit then when it comes to buy. This sets you up nice and early and makes things a lot easier later on. Of course it involves living in house shares and a lot of sacrifice, but it is worth it. A lot of people would not put the effort in to do it though.

• Advertisement

In the past we had sky high unemployment, emmigration and desperation and thus a heavily protected and advantaged public sector, sheesh 🙄

Ok how about this then, in capital cities around the world can a teacher on a single income afford the stereo typical 4 bed house as previously mentioned in a nice middle class area ?

I think you'll find that the answer is no and has been for at least 30+ years, since women were convinced they had to work or they somehow didn't respect themselves, this skewed the economics to forever needing two incomes to match the previous single income life

You can thank the feminists zealots for this, ironically it most hurts women who dominate the teaching profession

Advertisement