Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

The opposite was a common criticism of Peter Stringer at his height... He was so fast from the base that he didn't look to snipe that often. But it gave ROG a much more time to set up attacking plays as the opposition was always under pressure... This is the reason I like Marmion, he just keeps on upping the pace until the opposition breaks and gives Jack the opportunity to use his distribution better.

Saying that Blade had a very good game on Saturday. He covers a lot of ground and spends a lot of time relieving his back three and that is why we see him there so often... We are really lucky to have both of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Charlie Maddison cited for head contact with Caolin Blade last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

What was very strange about that incident was that The Clan went mental about it. And then the stadium tv showed the incident and the referee wouldn't even consider looking at it. And the TMO, or should I say what TMO

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

There's a bit of chat in this 42 article about attendances at The Sportsground..... https://www.the42.ie/mack-hansen-injury-5945046-Dec2022/

As I mentioned back in August, I would have feared for the attendances this season with the new ticket pricing. From an overall finances perspective, I hope this doesn't come back to bite them over the course of the season. With all the development work, we've never more needed every penny that's coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

Bought the old man a season ticket in the GT stand as a gift, thought that was extremely pricey for what it was - €485. Like you really should have priority access to an Ireland ticket for that price imo.

I know its a bit apples to oranges but you can get a season ticket (81 games) for the local MLB team where I am in the US for ~€370.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Is the match on TV anywhere this Friday? Can't see it on BT or Premier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Team I’d like to see this week :

1. Buckley 
    2. Delahunt 
    3. Bealham 
    4. Dowling 
    5. Thornbury 
    6. Prendergast 
    7. Oliver 
    8. Butler 
    9. Marmion 
    10. Carty 
    11. Porch
    12. Bundee 
    13. Farrell 
    14. Byrne 
    15. TOH
    16. Heff 
    17. Burke 
    18. Illo 
    19. D Murray 
    20. SHL 
    21. Devine 
    22. Fitz 
    23. Jennings

Looks a little strong up front, but ok, that will provide a strong structure for Illo to come into, so makes sense. But the back line looks too experienced, we don't need Tiernan with Jack, Bundee etc. Keep Kilgallen at 11, move Porch to 15, and either give Bundee the week off or move him to 13 (then TF to the bench) and put in either Hawkshaw or Forde at 12.

Don’t know if they’ll give the main guys two weeks off before ulster and Leinster? A win in Brive pretty much confirms qualifying. A bonus point win would put them in a great place for home match all the way to the final. Think out of all the challenge cup matches this is the one to go hard at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

the team i think I'll watch t'morrow in the stadium

1) Duggan (would prefer Dooley having gametime)

2) Delahunt

3) Illo

4) D.Murray

5) Dowling

6) SHL (Hurley)

7) McCormack

8) Booth

9) Reilly

10) Forde or Hawshaw

12) Aki or Bolton

13) Ralston (covering winger)

14) Byrne

11) Kilgallen (give him 2 in a row!)

15) McNulty

16) De Buitléar 

17) Dooley

18) McCoy (would prefer Aungier, didn't play that much)

19) Fifita (would prefer Thornbury to be sure locking TBP)

20) Butler

21) Marmion

22) Forde or Hawshaw

23) Farrell or Bolton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Another exciting team named.

CONNACHT RUGBY MATCHDAY 23 VS CA BRIVE

Friday 16th December, 20:00 @ Stade Amedee-Domenech

Number/Name/Caps

15. Conor Fitzgerald (59)

14. Adam Byrne (2)

13. Bundee Aki (121)

12. Tom Daly (67)

11. Diarmuid Kilgallen (10)

10. David Hawkshaw (8)

9. Kieran Marmion (217)

1. Peter Dooley (8)

2. Shane Delahunt (119)

3. Sam Illo (5)

4. Darragh Murray (1)

5. Gavin Thornbury(70)

6. Oisin Dowling (33)

7. Shamus Hurley-Langton (7)

8. Paul Boyle (82) (C)

Replacements

16. Dave Heffernan (173)

17. Jordan Duggan (30)

18. Dominic Robertson-McCoy (72)

19. Niall Murray (43)

20. Ciaran Booth (2)

21. Colm Reilly (14)

22. Byron Ralston (7)

23. Oran McNulty (11)

Didnt expect them to start Illo away in France, huge opportunity for him. Excited to see more of him, D Murray, SHL and Kilgallen

Interesting team full of surprises.

Dowling at 6 - wasn't expecting that. Daly given another chance at his preferred position, hope he gets a bounce, and cool that Murray the younger starts. Huge for Sam Illo, I'm a little iffy about having both Duggan and DRMC on the bench, would have preferred to see one of them paired with an experienced scrummager.

Happy to see Kilgallen retained, and McNulty will probably get another go at 15.

Papa Leahy, Sammy Arnold and Tietie Tuimauga (I thought he'd returned to NZ?) all starting for Brive tomorrow...

https://twitter.com/CABCLRUGBY/status/1603371796966817792

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I'm hoping that the lack of starts for Colm Reilly means that we are hopeful of keeping both Marmion and Blade, as if one is to leave we would really need to get game time into Reilly to prepare him to step up to second choice.

We have Devine, the other Reilly, another in Academy

Scrum-half is the position Connacht are Leinster. No worries, the best of the rest will become the best in no time!

I agree they are all talented, especially Devine, but one of them may need to play a lot of minutes next season. Scrum half is an extremely difficult position, even the most talented young 9s will have some very tough days, see Van Poortfliet for England vs NZ, or Nathan Doak once or twice recently.

Colm Reilly is going to have a few stinkers, and that's ok, but we may rely on him quite a bit next season and there are very few easy games for us in the URC season. If Reilly has a few games like Cormac Foley had against us this season, it could genuinely be the difference between qualifying for Europe or not. I would much rather see him getting some starts under his belt in the Challenge Cup this season. Of course, if Marmion and Blade stick around we can afford to be a bit more patient in developing the young lads.

Challenge Cup is the only way to qualify for Champions Cup

The rule protecting Welsh and Italians ruins any chance, even if we finish 8th in the league

We need a TBP tonight

To hope for a home round of 16, maybe QF too

• Advertisement

Waston Bar tonight still, before the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

It's not the Italians at all though, sure they have the Scots to contend with, and both Italian teams are in the Challenge Cup this season.

It's only the Welsh that are benefitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

Don't think it was quoted here before, but I thought that this was interesting from Andy Friend:

"There has certainly been a change to last year when we didn’t do anywhere near as much rotation," said Friend. "That’s working for us this year.

"I’ll pay Pete Wilkins a compliment there, he’s managing that squad well. The way we work it is Pete selects the team, he needs to show it to me but he’s got really good logic behind the way he’s selecting that side at the moment. Most players are getting a chance.

"Whenever you announce a 23, with a squad of 44, there’s always going to 21 blokes who aren’t so happy. But most are very aware we are looking to give opportunities to everybody."

That's a fair point, but if we were thinking that way I don't think we'd hand first starts to two of our front 5, especially a tighthead prop.

It's rarely agree with Connachta but on this one I agree with him. Leinster have always used rotation while Connacht has usually been unable to do so based on a significant injury list. Indeed this the first year I remember where we have the ability to rotate. This is a credit to Andy Friend. While some argue (me included) that everything hasn't been great under his tenure, there is one huge positive in the quality of players he has integrated. So finally we can start rotating without the concerns we had some years ago with such a call

Out if interest would anyone know of a french channel broadcasting the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭testtech05

Hopefully Boyle isn't badly injured after that didn't look great going off. Didn't seem to be much of a wrap in the tackle by titi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭testtech05

Papa in big bother here now too.... Could be looking at a red.

Yep he's got a red, will be a big ban now. Wasn't an obvious high hit but head on head and no wrap until after the collision......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Big Papa might be the most technically useless tackler I've ever seen.

Advertisement