Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Newcastle starting for summer 2023 from March. Replacing the Cork-NCL route.

That was announced back in Oct with Beziers.

Wishful thinking but id hope Aer lingus Reg would pick ORK NCL up as well as SNN BRS.

Declan Power from SNN was speaking today, theres a comment on ITTN. He said SNN will exceed 2019 numbers in 2023 which is great news.

He also mentioned theres 16 new destinations!! Theres only 6 announced, 5 Ryanair & Chicago with United.

I wonder is there more to come?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dave1794

Brilliant news, hope to see AMS launched. More Continental European routes would be useful for inbound traffic and Business.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Tiernster7

Could he mean 16 new destinations since 2019. 10 more for next summer is impossible in my mind

• Advertisement

Probably actually your right. But there seems to be approx 20 new routes since 2019

It could have been a typo and they could have meant 6. Which would go with whats been announced so far.

Mentions an increase of 1 on 2019 for Shannon JFK, was it 6 per week in 2019 ?

Timetable looks like they are restoring Heathrow to 21 from 19 per week but not mentioned in release.

LHR will be 20 for S23. Its definitely up on S22 because LHR flights were cancelled for 3 months during S22 because of limits there. Same happened DUB/ORK.

EI HGG a Ryanair MAX is covering todays SNN BUD. Pity Ryanair couldnt base one properly in SNN. Weather delays are hitting SNN schedule today it was due to be operated by EI EBD but thats running 4 hours late on the LGW - SNN run. Treat for the SNN crew operating SNN BUD.

Ok it actually looks like the 3rd Ryanair a/c will be a MAX based on the FR site. Lots of fights ex SNN showing the MAX seat map.

You are correct its 20, any idea what thry mean re plus 1 for jfk route

• Advertisement

Extra frequency. It operated 6 weekly in 2019 and now daily for 2023. it was also daily for 2022. They are mentioning this years increases again for S23

Cathal Crowe saying on twitter that aer lingus will confirm some EU routes in early 2023.

At least that's my reading of what he says, very positive if it turns true

I would be hugely sceptical on that. I watched the meeting today as it was live on Twitter. Aer Lingus were very positive about SNN. But i cant see SNN-AGP/FAO returning next Summer. These were the routes they were reffering to.

They were Questioning EI on the red eye LHR flight even though thats back since last March 22. Also Crowe is reporting JFK/BOS are daily for S23. They have operated daily since they came back in March 2022 as well

Didn't realise these were the routes in question. I'd be skeptical too based on what I've heard from aer lingus previously. Really just basing it on the tweet it made me think they may service an EU hub

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

JFK only dropped to 6x weekly outside of peak season, it was daily in the summer.

That was 2019 schedule. JFK has operated daily so far this winter. It does take a hiatus from 8 Jan 23 - 01 Mar 23 like it does every year because of low demand and the NEO go for maintenance. BOS also reduces to 5-6 weekly and daily again from March.

Link to meeting is here : https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/oireachtas-tv/video-archive/committees/

Its titled National Aviation Policy resumed

The hiatus was longer pre COVID too, it didn't resume until around paddy's day.

Caught it since, as you say it is leisure routes , there may be something small in Jan/feb alright but I wouldn't bank on it at all

Interesting to hear they are 90% capacity v 2019, same as Dublin they say

It's notable that Aer Lingus have announced that they won't be returning on the LHR route from Belfast City due to Brexit related issues, they've have British Airways running it instead in recent times.

This, coinciding with Cathal Crowes remarks, could mean there's potential for some EU routes from Aer Lingus, however I still wouldn't be too hopeful.

• Advertisement

I suppose Reid Moody factually does say that their S23 schedule is not fully finalised despite media statement.

He does say those leisure routes are under review and he also says that increases in transatlantic routes are possible in 24.

Its funny re Frankfurt/Sciphol the deflection to that is onward carrier partnerships and heathrow where the need for either of those routes is more point to point in my opinion.

The transatlantic comment was interesting from Reid as well. They have the new 321 XLR coming so would fit SNN as well like there LR,.

Whether anything happens remains to be seen but good to hear they havent ruled anything out from SNN even with the CC base closed. They seem to work well with the team in SNN two

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Crew were brought in by taxi for AGP/FAO previously and indeed current flights operate on a similar basis, so things are not totally contingent on a CC base now for any other potential services.

Ryanair are increasing SNN GRO to 3 per week from July 2023 until the end of the summer season. CFU returns in June and operates until end of Sept so REU & ALC will be increased to 4 weekly each from end of March - May/Oct to fill the gaps in the schedule.

What number are you tallying for weekly Ryanair departures at peak summer?

I think I have 88

34 AL, 14 United , 2 Vueling

Post edited by Tiernster7 on

I have the same as you for Ryanair at 88. There’s also two TUI charters to ACE & REU for the summer starting May-Sept

SNN - PMI is up to 4 weekly peak season June-Aug so would be 89 weekly flights during peak summer. The 3 a/c are fully scheduled now I think so don’t think there’s scope for anything more.

What's that in English? This isn't the aviation forum.

Check out the Ryanair website if your interested to see if that English wasnt good enough 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Shannon - GRO = Girona, Spain

Shannon - REU = Reus, near Barcelona, Spain

Shannon - ALC = Alicante, Spain.

Advertisement