Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2022 - discussion of the host country and related issues

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You can’t pick and chose and suddenly arbitrarily decide bloggers are making it all up if it doesn’t suit the narrative that you want. I have posted a number of different blogs/vlogs from Mexican, American and English fans.

To imply that they are all part of some conspiracy- is conspiracy theory thread stuff.

Simply Just because do not fit the black and white narrative Qatar = Evil and West = good - narrative. I believe the story is much more complex one based on a myriad of issues.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You've posted 2. One of which is a pair who are very much in the business of being paid to shill holidays and destinations.

I've never said anything about a conspiracy.

But we know watar has paid people to attend. And we know fifa hands out freebies too. So it's not too big a leap to see some content creators being paid, what they say is there most expensive holiday ever? I'm sorry, I'm not buying they've paid for it themselves or they'd cover the costs by clicks alone without some sort of sponsorship

I mean it's been in the news the Qatar have paid a lot of people from different countries to go to the world cup and post positive things about it online. It's hilarious naive for someone to post it as any kind of proof of anything.

According to a Times report, and a similar story in the Netherlands this week, the England and Wales fans, along with supporters from 30 other nations, have signed a code of conduct that requires them to deliver positive messages about being in Qatar, to sing songs as directed, and, perhaps most unsettlingly, to respond to social media posts critical of Qatar’s World Cup.

Going off that last line maybe gorm is actually at the world cup :)

I posted three Americans Mexicans and English. The American one was early on they also support Mexico. Another posted pointed out that the latter looked no craic.

I think it is a big stretch to say the whole thing is rigged as a PR trick. It sounds as ridiculous, as it is convenient.

As for the Iranian women. If the Qatari’s banned Iranian women from supporting their team. Entering stadiums and so on.

Then it might have some substance. But there has been pictures of a lot of Iranian women at matches. Emotional at the non-singing of the Iranian anthem etc.

I think it comes down to many are disappointed the arse did not fall out of the Qatar WC.

The truth is has been one of the more memorable world cups in my lifetime. We have not even finished the group stages.

And seems well run. In fact it is the first time I can remember no English hooliganism at the host nation for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think what you are willfully ignoring is the Qatar authorities detained a journalist who was covering there heavy handed approach with Iranian fans and demanded that the detained journalist delete the photos they have taken of that before they would release him.

Freedom of the press was guaranteed by Qatar before the World Cup started however it seems they lied about that!

But hey whatever you continue believe what you believe

But this is the same Danish journalist isn’t it? To me it sounds like he is trying to ‘make a name’ for himself. That is the impression I get anyway.

I saw an article from the Journal.ie. Which implied that Tony O’Donoghue had the same issues as the Danish journalist. But it turned out it was only implied it was similar.

T’O’D himself said it was merely a communication mix up. Nothing more.

That is the type of codding going on media ‘making’ a story where there is none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ah okay so he deserved to be detained and threatened for doing his job as a journalist and not being a propagandist.

So you do not believe in the freedom of the press is the impression I get from your posts.

Fair enough at least you are lucky to have the freedom post your beliefs without the risks of being detained and threatened and maybe tortured and being imprisoned for your beliefs so that is a good thing.

I think the Danish fella is deliberately ‘pushing it’ hoping for a reaction. And he has got one.

Tony O’Donoghue got a bit of hassle but it was only a communication mix up as he said himself. And didn’t seem to have any issue at all and it was sorted out.

Yet if you Google his name hassle and Qatar. The impression the headlines give was it was extreme ‘heavy handed’ stuff, with all its implied implications.

I am just wondering as well what you thought of the BBC censorship of the opening ceremony? Was that freedom of expression?

You think he's pushing it? Must be a conspiracy so.

02, 06, 10, 14 and even 18 world cups passed without much if any in the way of English hooliganism. Plus you'd know not to trust the media, as you seem to think it's unique to them.

No hooliganism in an authoritarian state that wouldnt think twice about publically flogging for most minor offences isn't much of a brag

• Advertisement

I found the article I was on about it was dublin live not the Journal

Headline -

‘RTE's Tony O'Donoghue 'interrupted by police' while filming in Qatar ahead of World Cup’

I read the story was mostly repeating the Danish reporters story when he was ‘interrupted’. And trying to frame the two and conflate them side by side etc.

Then finally after getting through all of that you get TO’D’s opinion on his own incident.

But the broadcaster put the incident down to bad communication between organisers and local security instead of evidence of an “oppressive regime”’

-

Explain that to me lads and the overly dramatic framing of the article etc Which was basically clickbait, when you read Tony's full story.

-

The Sun same story Headline

Tony O’Donoghue reveals RTE’s filming for World Cup was interrupted by Qatari police

"We have the accreditation from FIFA and then we have the local host organising accreditation.

"We were just outside the stadium and the police came along and asked us to stop.

"It wasn't as dramatic perhaps as the situation with the Danish camera crew, but I don't think there's anything especially unusual there.

"There's been other situations in other parts of the world where I've been asked to show permits for filming.

"I think it's just down to bad communication from the organisers down to the security forces on the ground rather than the example of an oppressive regime.'

--

Is the Corkman in the Qatari's back pocket?

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Two points.

1. The "Danish fella" was reporting on incidents that he had not instigated. He was not looking for a reaction, but he got the "hand in front of the camera" treatment. All the events he reported on happened. So where you see "deliberately pushing it", it is clearly not.
    2. The BBC did not censor the opening ceremony. They showed it on the "red button", which is available to, and used by, millions weekly. It was also available online. It was shown in both of those locations in its entirety - not censored.

Come on the BBC did censor it. Censoring is a 'suppression of public communication or publication'. By it's very nature less people would have seen the opening ceremony in the UK as result when moved to the 'red button'. Also I would argue it was symbolic demotion, as well as censorship. Plus it was one of the most interesting WC opening ceremonies I have ever seen. It was much better than Diana Ross missing an opening goal in USA 94, when she hooked it wide.

The Danish guy is the same fella who was in the interrupted drama and the Iranian fracas incident. The SAME GUY. He is clearly stirring the pot looking for a reaction and pushing it.

His name is Rasmus Tantholdt - his speciality of journalism is 'extreme conflict areas'. He is a sh!t stirrer basically, and does so for the drama and journalistic kudos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ill take the evidence of treating migrant workers worse than **** on a boot thank you very much.

Find me a country that doesn't treat migrant workers like S**t.

The very clearly highlighted it was there. It's not the first time. I suppose they're censoring Wimbledon too.

There's a certain irony here. You class one type of coverage and journalism as biased, confrontational etc yet are letting paid YouTube shills have a free pass for doing what they always do.

Anything bad is manufactured, anything good is the truth. Gotcha.

You have decided they are 'youtube shills' with no evidence to back up the claim whatsoever. As for the red button, you know as well as I do LESS people watch it than BBC1. To say otherwise is lying, it is just a simple fact. It is a secondary station of the BBC where the leftovers are put on .Why else would the BBC move it there?

They have never done it before for any WC opening ceremony as far as I know. It was just plain odd.

Plus many people do not have access to the red button or iplayer abroad from the UK. So that is them out numbers wise - straight away. I know from experience when they used to put the snooker on the red button and didn't have it. I couldn't watch it.

That is the reality, you can dress it up what ever way you want. LESS see it and less are aware of it than the main BBC channel. And a lot less have access to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm really unsure what the youtube videos of people at the tournament are supposed to be showing us exactly... that it's not a torture chamber for tourists? I mean, of course it's not... the facilities are decent (if grossly insufficient for the numbers an international tournament would be expected to provide, meaning most people who'd like to go simply can't, and those who went have to pay through the nose for it). But the tourist facilities looking fine is pretty much to be expected, given the money the country threw at it.

The shiny veneer has never really been in question, but rather everything under the surface. Have to say watching them, having been to international tournaments, it doesn't look much craic. All looks very clean and controlled, designated levels of fun happening in designated places. Which is grand, but it's not really the raucous groundswell of emotion an international tournament is supposed to feel like... I'm sure those at it will have a thoroughly alright time.

Hijabi Football Freestyler in Qatar

There's also been videos in which there are more staff than fans in the fanzones.

I'm making an educated guess based on what it is these people do for a living. It's content creation, generally paid for content creation by various companies.

Again, that's not censorship. They still had it on. They had other live programming on their station and made other avenues (2 in fact) available for it to be viewed. Because viewers abroad didn't have access to it, is not their problem. It was available free to air in most other countries via local broadcasters and online. It's not really censorship. Maybe careful curation, but not censorship. That's another argument

You are alllowed make a **** tonne of generalisations but anyone else makes one, no matter how reasonable it might be you won't have it.

• Advertisement

That freestyler lady is pretty cool in fairness.

Oh and German fans/team got the mick taken out of them big style. Hands on mouth waving goodbye Qatar TV. There were Qatari fans holding up images of Ozil (remember that story - when I win I am German - when I lose I am an immigrant). A German fan shouted F you Tailban! And tried to take the image.

Many democracies around the world which American overthrew and put in authoritarian regimes instead. Just Google ‘CIA democracy coup’.

It has been done time and time again. Chile, Iran etc. So don’t cod yourself that it is about democracy v authoritarianism.

It is not, it is about geopolitical control. Qatar is close allies with the UK/USA governments for instance but that seems to be conveniently forgotten.

Qatar’s sovereignty would not exist without such protection. Due to its geopolitical strategic importance to USA/UK in the Middle East.

But the Western citizens of Europe do not seem to realise this at all. Which makes all the meaningless symbolic gestures, even more farcical.

Just listen to your language ‘careful curation’ ‘educated guess’. It all seems like mental gymnastics to me. Censorship is censorship.

By the BBC not showing the opening ceremony on their main channel. It is a form of censorship, and media controlled manipulation. No matter how you couch it.

I think what the BBC did will in time be viewed as just another misstep from that media organisation. There is a list of previous ones here.

The manipulative of miners strike coverage in the 80’s and the Savile cover up more recently are particular standouts IMO.

Just on the Irish Catholism and homosexuality being illegal until 1993 etc. I don’t recall much symbolic protests at Irish sporting events prior to that point? Why was that?

Is it because now people feel the need to join a crusade/‘cause’ because of social media. Be it ‘Je Suis Charlie’ ‘Ukraine’ ‘One love armbands’ colours on avatars Facebook photos banners. It is all over the place on boards. Posters falling over themselves to show the ‘cause’ they support.

But to me a lot of it is just trends - lance Armstrong live strong bands - Ukraine (but not during 2014 funny enough).

A lot of it seems like a weak ‘look at me and the latest cause I care about’ because the media told me to.

Real insincerity about it IMO. I mean I support a good few worthy causes but I wouldn’t feel the need to try and tell everyone about them. Just quiet donations and volunteer work.

I mean a protest is a protest -not weak half assed symbolism. If you are going to do it do it right. Real protest has consequence, not at a safe distance.

Or is that not the ‘fashion’ now? I have to do a hashtag or attach banners and change the colour of a profile photo?

The pretence of caring, I call it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Therefore other countries are hypocrites? Sorry shouldn't have spoilered the bit in my previous post where I said the US doesn't get a pass and all hypocrisy should be ignored. The idea that we can't be unhappy with Qatar getting the world cup because other countries yada yada. Really not sure what point you are making but thanks for the lesson about the US setting up authoritarian regimes. Never knew they could be so dodgy. Thought they were perfect.

Christ this is a grim enough take...

By simply handwaving away all symbolic protest, you do definitely cut out the small percentage of people who just want to be seen to care, but you also remove everyone else as well for whom whatever simple symbol might actually mean something - might be something big, or something really small, but something genuinely sincere nonetheless. It's worth remembering that the volume of awareness brought out through these little gestures is directly related to the volume of donations that end up coming in, so in their way they do have a tangible positive impact. They create momentum and visibility which ultimately are the most important thing's in causing any change or meaningful aid at scale. You mentioned change in the middle east coming from people's voices rising up - well, this is part of that too. All the different versions of this, whether its a social media post, or people wearing a Women Life Freedom t-shirt in Iran, it's all part of strengthening the message. As has been the case for literally all of time, a good branding/media campaign is the bedrock of every successful movement.

So don't get so hung up on feeling so angry about what you think of as people showboating, and simply think of them as what they are for the most part, just simple little passive positive messages of support. Let's be real, no one who pops up one of those things is actually expecting some round of applause or something, they're just adding to the sea of momentum behind something they agree with. Most people have partners, kids, jobs, parents to look after, and there's not often the freedom to go off crusading for all the issues that give them some stab of frustration/sadness/anger/grief, so these yokes and maybe a donation are a little way of venting that emotion. There's different ways of doing things, just cause you have yours doesn't mean everyone not doing the same is wrong or a poser or something. Why waste your energy being so judgmental of perceived intentions and motivations that are likely wrong anyway. There's always going to be some annoying tossers that get on your nerves with actions of all kinds, but they're also always going to be the minority. And tbh in reality I think it's a very very small minority too. Most people are grand.

Elsewhere, on your first point - communication and the internet. That's it really. Proper all inclusive networked communication has let people see other people like them, let them know they're not alone, let like minded people come together, and been instrumental in organising events, gatherings, protests etc.

(Also, like, maybe you should tell people about the charities you believe in, cause then maybe they'd get more donations...)

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

The ‘protests’ look ridiculous absolutely silly. They are all over the show with no clarity of purpose.

The kneeling was based on Colin Kapernick hating the American institutions/flag - then it was hijacked by BLM. A Marxist organisation which wants to overthrow capitalism Then it was shoehorned into a George Flloyd protest/ and American politics seeped into the EPL - BLM flags etc banners on screen - we are then told it suddenly is all now supposed to be all discrimination. The banking institutions and big industry have BLM banners in America/UK (BLM who wants to overthrow capitalism etc).

We have Southgate saying it represents the squads values -somehow. But at the same time says he will not be drawn into a ‘virtue signalling contest’.

It is all over the place against Iran - England took the knee. And we had Southgate saying it had some vague signal to Iran. But didn’t want to comment on Iran because he did not know enough about it! It sounds like he is doing - IS virtue signalling. But worse does not know why. No real clarity purpose or end goal. Pardon the pun.

I mean we all ready have the kick racism out campaign - show respect/ give respect. But somehow a pantomime is the answer?

After that we had the ‘one love’ armband fiasco. The very time countries had a chance to make a stand with a consequence they backed down. Wilted completely couldn’t even take a yellow. A protest with could of had MEANING- CONSEQUENCE. But they bottled it and blew it. No backbone.

Finally we had the Germans ‘who farted?’ ‘Symbolic protest’. Silly optically why not tape on mouths? And again of course - no consequence.

All the symbolism without consequence is to allow such people to fool themselves into thinking they are making a ‘difference’. It is a pantomime- a show. Like a Xmas pantomime- oh no he didn’t- oh yes he did. Look behind you!

Have the symbolism internet generation forgotten how to protest or what protest is? Look at the Dunne’s Stores - South African Oranges case.

REAL protest with consequence!

But the real military geopolitical and economic ties to the Middle East/Qatar rumble on.

I personally think your attitude of falling for the symbolism is kind of sad. Sums up the way society has gone. Look like you care. But ultimately it has no consequence.

Meanwhile in the real world we have Al-Ueid Airbase in Doha (set up since 2003) specifically for the American military at the cost of billions. For the Qatari’s superpower ally.

From which America can ‘monitor’ the Middle East.

And it was probably mentioned before but Qatar owns 40 billion of property in the UK. Has shares in UK banks. Yet it’s media flagship has tried to paint Qatar as some evil state that no one deals with - like Gary Lineker

But even Lineker has accepted Qatari money in the past

So who is codding who here? There seems to be a lot of confusion. And mixed messages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭US3

It's really annoying me that pundits are all calling Morocco an Arab country. It's it's in western Africa , I don't get it? May aswell call Italy or Romainia Arab too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

To add to the laundry list of reasons why Qatar shouldn’t have hosted the World Cup, it’s getting really noticeable that there are thousands of empty seats, even for big knockout games. I thought it stood out at the Brazil and Portugal games the most. I can’t recall seeing something like that before.

Wonder what’s happened? Sponsors giving tickets to people who don’t bother using them, Qataris losing interest too? We already know it’s a smaller contingent of travelling fans so I’m not surprised it’s not packed to the rafters but seeing the huge chunks of seats going to waste is pretty galling, and a reminder about fans are really thought of as set dressing on this month long corporate video for Qatar rather than actual people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

A large proportion of Moroccans would consider themselves Arab, they are a member of the Arab League, their language is Arabic.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Yeah, I think language is the main qualifier for the classification… in the same way that Iran isn’t an Arab country despite being in the geographical area we’d think of as Arabic.

The chief executive of the Qatar World Cup was asked about a migrant worker's death at the tournament. (During the tournament, actually)

Nasser Al Khater said  "This is something you want to talk about right now? I mean, death is a natural part of life, whether it's at work, whether it's in your sleep.”  

He added: "Look, workers' deaths has been a big subject during the World Cup. Everything that has been said and everything that has been reflected about workers' deaths has been absolutely false. This theme, this negativity around the World Cup has been something that we've been faced with. We're a bit disappointed that the journalists have been exacerbating this false narrative. And honestly, I think a lot of the journalists have to ask themselves and reflect on why they've been trying to bang on about the subject for so long."

An Amnesty spokesperson said: "Unfortunately, Mr Al Khater is mistaken when he says that every fatality is investigated. This is simply not true. We and others have been calling on the Qatari authorities to conduct such investigations on workers' deaths for years to no avail. Instead, they continue to simply write off vast numbers of deaths as being due to 'natural causes' despite the clear health risks associated with working in extreme temperatures. It goes without saying that the Government should be investigating this most recent tragic case, as well as the deaths of all others. Every single family who has lost a loved one as a result of their working conditions in Qatar deserves answers and remedy for their loss."

Classy and caring right to the way through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I dunno what else you'd expect him to say though in all honesty.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭crushproof

He said he wasn't feeling great on a podcast a couple of days ago. Had been to the medical centre as well and had a cough "that sounds like a death rattle". So that shuts down the conspiracy theories.

Apparently posters are not permitted to post about the atmosphere at games on the match discussion thread

.England v France build up on RTE -

Ronnie Whelan said the atmosphere in this WC has been great place to bring kids to. Hamilton concurred pointing at the crowds in the stadium. Very safe fans mixing etc.

Ronnie said he has enjoyed the excitement of the games but questioned some of the standard at matches.

-

England v France build up ITV

Mark Pougatch commented that the atmosphere was ‘flat’ and there was no point in pretending otherwise!

-

I was wondering is the implication from ITV that the fans were no craic because they were not boozed up?

Seems odd that two separate media organisations have such a divergence of opinions. So what is going on? One of them must have an agenda? There cannot be such a difference of opinion on such a basic thing as atmosphere! At the same match!

England v France at 70 plus minutes 1-1 atmosphere seems great to me. Full capacity Crowd well engaged. So what is going on?

Why were ITV trying to ‘frame’ it as ‘flat’ in the build up. And Ronnie the opposite on RTE with Hamilton!!

BBC 5 Live also said that there no atmosphere at the match (ENG vs FRA). They said that the fact that the fans from the opposite sides were very far apart probably helped, or rather, didn't.

• Advertisement

It still does not explain the divergence of opinion on the atmosphere between the British and Irish media. It seems polar opposites from what I have heard and viewed.

Ronnie, "misery loving" whelan is not a judge for atmosphere. He'd love a flat, dead atmosphere.

He does his best to create one for us watching on TV anyway!

This debate amused me on Talksport- did the Qatar WC redeem England fans? Not one single incident!

I'm not sure they do actually point towards polar opposites tbh... your own line about the Irish lads experience was; "Ronnie Whelan said the atmosphere in this WC has been a great place to bring kids to. Hamilton concurred pointing at the crowds in the stadium. Very safe fans mixing etc."

That doesn't sound like a great football atmosphere to me to be honest... that sounds like a nice pleasant park experience, a fun for all ages, nice day out sort of thing. Whereas I'd assume what the English lads were talking about is the lack of what we'd expect from a great football atmosphere. Noise, passion, intensity, emotion, drama, excitement - intimidation even. Probably not actually what you would call a great place to bring the fam.

So they could well be describing the same experience in different terms. I've been to a rake of LA Galaxy matches - the atmosphere is usually quite friendly, and nice, and chill in a way - but it's a terrible football atmosphere cause it just feels like a bunch of people there for a nice trip out of the house instead of really fervently desperately caring about what's happening on the pitch. (by contrast, LAFC has a much better atmosphere).

This WC has been fairly undeniably flat, not least because of all the empty seats game after game (there was loads of them in that upper tier again today - in a world cup semi final! that's insane). The Argie games have been the best of them, but most games have had quite underwhelming atmospheres. Ken Early was talking about the same too, just how quiet it can be... he said about a quarter of the seats in the last Brazil match were empty. The football itself has been decent enough, but just about everything beyond those white lines has seemed thoroughly neutered.

German TV station conflates the Moroccan Football Team with ISIS

Wonder why flights were cancelled that were going to ship in Moroccan fans?

Apparently it was because a lot of them did not have valid tickets -

'Although Doha airport officials have reportedly said was due to a large number of Moroccan fans not having tickets for the game.This was despite the Moroccan football federation handing out free tickets to fans already in Qatar on Tuesday.'

Since when do you need tickets to a game to fly into a country? There's always been hundreds of thousands of fans in WC countries without tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

Grant Wahls family have released his autopsy results to shut down theories that there was foul play or his Covid vaccination status contributed to his death.

Advertisement