Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

When I was in my early twenties, a woman of a similar age in Oxford once asked me, "Do we still own you?"

It seems Ireland receives only perfunctory mentions in teaching curricula here. We can see that reflected in nonsense terms like "Southern Ireland". Ireland just isn't considered worthy of any attention even for those who are of Irish ancestry or who have an Irish parent. We see this almost daily whenever the NI protocol comes up.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Oh man this isn't that complicated. A large majority don't regard themselves as Northern Irish.

The creation of Northern Ireland was an attempt by London to solve the 'Irish problem'. It was nothing about the creation of a nation.

I could give you a longer Irish history lesson while you're on your high horse about English people.

It’s remarkable when you think how active the IRA was in the early 90s when I was in sixth form….you had Warrington, Harrods, the stock exchange, bishopshgate, the London stations, and a load of smaller attacks and shootings over the course of just a couple of years. One even in Leeds where we lived. And I don’t recall any attempt to tell us what it was all about

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Its own banks, its own transport authority, its own religion, it's own broadsheets, it's own media, its own football team, its own laws, its own customs (not related to Ireland or Britain).

Another way the UK isn't like France, Spain and whoever else is the can't even have a uniform bank note (pre Euro obviously)

Broadsheets?

Anyway, I've made the point. You're the only one here that doesn't seem to know what a nation is.

• Advertisement

Paddys were bad that's all you needed to know.

Same as all Middle Eastern/Arab/Muslim people in the 00s

It was regularly the top story on UK bulletins. News flashes and special programmes about the North were common on the BBC and ITV and then Sky News.

I don't think many English people cared. The information was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

'The chances that the next Labour government will have 5 PMs in 6 years are about 10m to 1. Same goes for a PM so bad they can't outlast a rotting lettuce.'

Disagree. If for some reason Keir Starmer quit or fell ill he could easily be replaced by a series of affirmative action insta-failures coming in and collapsing one after another like dominos. Which is what happened to the Tories.

Its unofficial Tory policy to adhere to diversity and inclusion selection criteria, which is why they ended up cycling through so many unsuitable PMs out of their depth.

Note: I'm not saying that minorities can't do the job, but if they have been deliberately over-promoted as some of them clearly had then that of course increases the chances of a succession of rapid failures.

of course it was on the news. I’m talking about any attempt to educate school age children who, in the absence of anything else, just thought the Irish were bad, like Breezy says.

They weren't taught that.

That poster doesn't seem to know much about Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement

we weren’t taught anything. That’s my point. Let’s just leave it

Anything is different to being taught bad I would have thought.

Bad was what was assumed in the absence of any education, at least what i remember me and my sister thinking

There had been 100s of years of "education" from the likes of Punch and later the tabloids.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

My theory is that they see the rest of the 'British Isles' as being regions and and 'not England'. So it all becomes a bit of a blur : Scotland, NI and the Republic are sort of all lumped in together, as if there is very little difference between the three.

Well that's his point. They lump them in because their education doesn't teach them not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,425 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It is not (official or unofficial) "Tory policy to adhere to diversity and inclusion selection criteria" for choosing party leaders. Where did you get this bizarre notion? Have you been reading the Daily Mail again? You know that makes you stupider.

The persistent inability of the Tory party to choose remotely competent leaders seems to be linked to the change in their constitution which allowed rank-and-file members to select the leader. The rank-and-file members of the Tory party are wildly unrepresentative of the British people at large, and not well positioned to pick leaders actually attuned to popular concerns and interests. Plus, in a parliamentary democracy, the main task of the leader is to lead the parliamentary party, but rank-and-file members have no notion of what that involves, and no way of knowing whether leadership candidates have the talents and aptitudes which that task requires.

These problems are compounded by recent history in which the party has been ruthlessly purged of anyone with so much integrity and self-respect that they cannot kowtow to delusional Brexit ideology.

The result is that unqualified selectors are choosing a leader from a pool of unqualified candidates.

Now, it might be that the Labour party has analogous issues; that remains to be seen. But a party that could conceivably be unable to provide a suitable PM is clearly to be preferred over one which has repeatedly demonstrated that it is unable to provide a suitable PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes affirmative action is unofficial policy for Tory candidate selection. There are de facto diversity and inclusion considerations, which partly explains the rise of Liz Truss, and there has been tremendous internal pressure to do this since the David Cameron era.*

No I didn't read it in a newspaper, 'again'. A British academic Tory-insider told me.

You aren't as smart as you think you are and now you're getting insulting.

Your robotic information dumps lack insight.

As with other posters here, your partisanism is so extreme that you leave no room for disagreement.

*(I don't mean older, ordinary Tory party members at the final phase of the selection process - as they can't be pressured in this way)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There are de facto diversity and inclusion considerations

Mandated by who?

Who is enforcing these considerations on a free vote of MPs to select their new leader (or at least the final 2). How do these considerations even manifest?

You're making a different claim here. The Tories may or may not have an unofficial policy of promoting diversity in the selection of parliamentary candidates, but they have no such policy when it comes to selecting the party leader. Indeed, given the mechanisms by which the party leader is selected, and the complete absence of any involvement by CCHQ at any stage of the process, it's hard to see how such a policy could operate.

Besides, one of the most conspicuously awful leaders they have chosen is Boris Johnson, and you can't possibly account for his selection by pointing to any alleged policy of diversity and inclusion, unless by some chance you regard "people whose true calling is as the back end of a pantomime horse" as a protected category that benefits from diversity policies.

• Advertisement

I like how the fact that the Tories have had 5 PMs in 6 years is the fault of the women. Would have all been great if it was just Dave and Boris.

This. The Tories have produced a succession of dismal leaders, each worse than the last — Cameron, May, Johnson, Truss. It's too soon to say if Sunak will reverse the the trend. (To be honest, he should — all he has to do is be not quite so bad as Truss.)

Election by the members has been the rule since 1998. A complete list of the leaders elected since 1998 is — Smith, Howard, Cameron, May, Johnson, Truss, Sunak. Neither Smith or Howard ever held office as PM, but I think it's fair to say that both are judged pretty poorly as party leaders. Cameron had obvious successes, but these are overshadowed by his disastrous misjudgement and mismanagement in relation to the Brexit referendum. After that, it's been steadily downhill, then steeply downhill. Taking the rough with the smooth, a pretty shite record for the system of electing leaders by party members. And, growleaves' claims notwithstanding, I see nothing to suggest that any of these leaders was chosen as part of an unofficial policy to promote diversity. As Podge points out, I don't see how such a policy could have been brought to bear, given the leadership election processes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

My GCSE history teacher taught us about the troubles, he was excellent in an otherwise pretty shīt school back then (fancy these days though). No doubt we, the English in general, don't know what cruelty the Empire inflicted on the world, but they also don't know what the British ruling class inflicted on the working class or peasantry before that of their own country. Nothing negative about the establishment is generally taught or discussed, ignorance is bliss. Now, enough of this nonsense, how about a nice rousing rendition of God save the whoever.

Anyway on the day of the first ever NHS nursing strike the Tories are doing the media rounds making up figures for what it'll cost (if they agreed to the top figure the union is after, which of course if they negotiated wouldn't be that). And actually even with their sums, it'd still cost less that the previous chancellor's give away to the already rich. It would be nice to see some mainstream political support for the nurses action but that's clearly not going to happen from the opposition front bench.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I only found out last night it's the first ever. One of those ones where I had to go back and read again to be sure.

This government does seem to love making history 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Yep the RCN is usually a totally feeble union, completely benign, the government really is something.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

By-election today in Stretford and Urmston (football fans will know by the name that it's a Manchester constituency).

Labours Kate Green resigned her seat to work as a deputy to Andy Burnham (and I hazard a guess might have one eye on the mayoral role itself in the future when Burnham surely returns to the national stage).

2022 Stretford and Urmston by-election - Wikipedia

Realistically it's a slam-dunk Labour hold, and as always the percentages will be the only thing of any interest. It might point to what we can expect to see in Manchester in a GE - it's a city similar to London that leans Labour (18 of 27 seats) with some Conservative strongholds. Constituencies like Altrincham (Sir Graham Brady, 11% majority over Labour in 2019) just might be in play next time.

And somewhere like Leigh (one of the more disastrous 2019 Labour losses) is an essential target for them.

List of parliamentary constituencies in Greater Manchester - Wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭PommieBast

If I remember correctly Michael Howard was unopposed (had Ken Clarke given up by then?)..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ahwell

It was William Hague who changed the rules to allow members to have a say. I heard him on Times Radio a few months back saying the reason for this was to make it harder to depose a sitting leader, i.e., him. The unintended, but wholly predictable, consequences of this was...those members were bound to elect a lunatic like Truss at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not to mention himself - he was clearly totally unsuited to office (but then again, even the English public fell for his guff and eejitry and gave him an 80 seat majority, so it can't even solely be put upon the Conservative Party and its membership).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ahwell

True, but those members would have voted from him all over again if they were given a chance, I am almost certain that the English public wouldn't though. Those rules present a big problem for the Tory party because of how out of touch the membership is with the rest of the electorate.

Advertisement