Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Cancel order before they register the VIN in your name.

Get refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

I cant cancel just because of sensors, car has alot of features, there arent a lot of alternative options.

its just a big kick in the nuts.

imagine they made uss a subs model like merc with acceleration and bmw heated seats.

you’d pay everytime you wanted park. Imagine elon’s evil grin then

im so annoyed at this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sorry, I meant defer delivery until later in the year, if that means full cancellation then so be it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭podge1979

You also get the sensor input superimposed on the infotainment output on your XC90 those green, yellow and red bars that come up telling you how close you are are from the sensors not the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,935 ✭✭✭✭josip

Not the most professionally shot vid in the world, but this guy managed to squeeze 336km out of his MY SR in a 100 to 0 test. Temp was 15C and he kept it at a steady 110.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I can get 400km+ easy from either of our Model 3s, in summer, at reasonable speeds, not dogging it but not hypermiling either.

A few days ago, 260km from 100% to 2% with a preconditioned battery & cabin - M7, bone dry & cold but sustained motorway speed (a return journey so no unbalanced headwind etc.).

The Y, in similar circumstances, would yield less & even less again with a puny 55kWh battery, let alone if they sequester 8/9kWhs of it for the buffer.

We've one ordered but we're getting back towards too short a range now to be practical for non big smoke dwellers & decent mileage users.

No parking sensors, worse AP, smaller battery, dire customer service......maybe it's me but the cars are being continuously downgraded/cheapened & previous Tesla owners are more & more likely to jump ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

I'm in the same frame of mind

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There’s a world of choice out there now.

The MY will always get less range than the M3. You don’t sell a 3 to buy a Y for longer range. It’s about the useable space if that’s what your lifestyle requires at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Having second thoughts as well... don't need USS in normal day to day, although nice to have.

But when on Autopilot in Germany in construction zones (narrower lanes) on the Autobahn at night, wouldn't want to depend on the blinded cameras to not crash into the metal barriers... It would be a downgrade compared to a 4 year older M3P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Similar here. I'm on my third tesla, a 222 model 3 RWD, but the prospect of a fourth is looking very unlikely. I decided against ordering a model Y until they sort out this nonsense. Tesla Vision is the stupidest thing yet but AP has gotten worse and worse over the last 2 years. The best AP I've had was and stll is AP1

• Advertisement

No problem getting 430km+ in summer on combination of 100/80 roads. For Y range (and MIC battery) take 10% away and an additional 10% if buffergate repeats. If you have a 2019-2020 SR Model 3 then your degradation may well cancel out the standard 10% range drop (but not the buffer stupidity) so there will be little in the day to day range difference.

If you are on a Model 3 RWD before buffergate then you're looking at a 20% range drop, that's me and not happening.

I'll take a 10% range drop but not the buffer additional 10% and the loss off USS, the biggest benefit of a Y for me is actually the audio upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭costin

Park assist/autopark/summon features will be coming soon on non USS cars.

Image processing/neural networks are much powerful than you think. This is not rocket science - which we know he is good at, so they'll sort it out... In 2-3 software updates will be better than cars with USS.

I have had issues in past with radars/USS sensors driving through bad weather (snow/ice). ACC (adaptive cruise control) stops working when radar is covered by ice and might require re-calibration after. You won't get this with image processing. Even if image is dirty it can be clean-up easily - via filtering in sw of course. You can't do this with an USS...

My back left USS drives me nuts sometimes. Car is breaking inexpertly because of a false positive. Again this won't happen with a Vision based system.

I can tell you that ditching the USS was not only cost related. Recently I had to ditch myself an USS and use instead a CMOS (again less false positives using classifiers in a vision based approach).

I think people are overreacting a bit. Use of image processing is a must for self driving. Tesla vision is the future. Also all modern ADAS solutions (EURONCAP 2020) from competition are using Vision not Radar or USS...

https://www.euroncap.com/en/vehicle-safety/safety-campaigns/2020-assisted-driving-tests/

Please define what is soon? Remember that we've supposed to have had FSD by now and humans will be on Mars by 2026. Nobody is saying that vision is not required. Nearly everyone is saying that it must be complemented by data gathered via a different wavelength.

I disagree about being able to clean up any image via software filtering. That might work for multiple exposures where the obstruction is temporary, but will be useless for your ice on the camera lens example.

@josip camera's are heated. No frost. Sw update comming soon you'll see.

Took few attempts for a Flacon 9 to land but since December 2015 they are nailing it... We are taking about same guy here. Yes sometimes he sets high goals but this is the road to progress. My 2018 Skoda feels like an old car today compared to a 2018 Tesla that got periodic updates. Tesla is a tech company that will deliver via SW updates. HW is there already and cameras have high enough resolution to be able to deal with a parking sensor assist scenario...

@josip you reminded me about condensation in VAG group matrix leds. Condensation is normal to form - also will clear up. No point to convince you that vision is the way to go... Apply for a job if you have better ideas :).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

How does all this tie in with the multiple reports above of people finding their Tesla cameras blocked and useless at the seemingly slightest meteorological provocation, or events hardly unexpected such as the sun being low in the sky?

USS are not used by Tesla for ACC or Autopilot functionality, they are park assist and summon usage only

Source please, if they are heated then the chamber should be argon filled or nitrogen etc to avoid condensation/fogging issues

• Advertisement

"It can be cleaned up easily" what are you basing that on algorithms etc. I can guarantee you "cleaning up" an image is not compliant with ADAS and functional safety standards. Algorithms can detect soiling and disable features.

Also where are you getting your info from the majority of OEM's are basing ADAS using radar lidar as main sensor far field detection in addition HD cameras. Ultrasonic sensors are the main near field detection. They mix sensors inputs for additional redundancy.

Tesla and Toyota are the only main players betting on vision only solutions.

I've worked in a company who produces camera, ultrasonic lidar and radar so I'm kinda at a loss on what your basing your info on?

Post edited by podge1979 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

If you have sentry on tonight you'll see a frost free patch around the front camera anyway. Thought the side ones were heated by the cabin air

Unfortunately cameras are not heated

@podgeandrodge did you ever worked with sensors and image processing? USS are only used for blind spot and parking and in some scenarious imediat colission detection. How can you do lane assist with an USS or a radar or lidar? You are completely loosing the point. On an USS, you get a signal for the sensor output you can't do much extra filtering while image processing opens loads of possibility. I'm amazed that people that have never worked in the industry are experts. I assume all on this thread are intrested or already ordered or own a MY. Technology wise a Tesla is far more advanced than competion with in house solutions. I expect that even in this regard some to object. Majority of the other OEMs are integrating off the shelf solutions... Automotive market will look very different in 5-10 years. Same as it happened with Nokia and Ericsson on consumer telco - phones.

This discussion reminds me about Apple removing DVD drives from their laptops. Entire industry followed them soon...USS technology is old and has not much to offer in the years to come for real progress. Neural networks and image processing are the future. This is a certenty today... USS will still be used in other application - eg fuel level sensing but can't see a future for them in automotive saftey related applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

This really wouldn't bother me. At the stage of my life such overly simplistic stereotypes or inferences mean very little. They reflect poorly on those who make them rather than those who they are directed towards.

The functionality and features of the car on the other hand is something I would be concerned about.

I did, I project managed and automated parking system and lane assist project using camera ultrasonics and Radar. The company had a number of patents also regarding soiling detection on cameras. Theres a company in Galway who are pretty much the world leaders in that field you should look em up.

So yes very familiar with the technology and its capabilities.

I'm familiar with technology road maps and benchmarks of what OEMs are doing. Chinese OEMs will lead the way to systems capable of Level 5 autonomy and the main sensor there will be lidar.

Your right on one thing the technology will change. Main obstacle with lidar is size and cost (why Tesla are betting on vision) 3/4 gen don't have many if any moving parts, gen1 lidars were a very different story (not really commercial). This continues to change a lot in the coming years size and cost of lidar will drop and become mainstream foot print continues to get smaller now.

I worked with a lot of different OEMs there wasn't one who took an off the shelf solution some common platforms but a good deal of bespoke HW and SW engineering. If there is a teir one supplier who has an off the shelf solution an OEM can just plug and play they would be very rich indeed😜

Do you work in the industry?

Post edited by podge1979 on

@podgeandrodge did you checked my location first before making a comment about a company in Galway. Haha. How can you do lane assist without a camera :). I'll stop here.

Yes I work in industry for the past 20 years :).

Neural networks and image processing are part of the future.... L3,4 and 5 capable ADAS system will more than one sensor set.

Tesla had the advantage they are a fair bit behind now in reality.

• Advertisement

This is the main reason why Tesla start droping sensors inputs for the self driving capability. Contradictions between inputs :). Elon explains very well this bit - youtube is your friend. Fusion - combintation of multiple sensors was a big hype 4-5 years ago. Not anymore.

Advertisement