Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Ah its only a head cold"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

No head cold/sniffles = Perfectly fine.

Headcold and/or sniffles = Covid - You must need another booster , and isolate ...you are sick, you are a spreader .... how dare you be out in public ...

OHHHHhhh MYYYyyyy Gaaaawd ....

Paranoia reigns ..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I must say, I'm finding all this quite bemusing, considering I tested positive for Covid this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

roflol! Not a word said I about everyone isolating... or anyone isolating. And of course I am not in employment at my advanced age..( I do work very hard though) But why let facts get in the way of a good old rant? Hoping you feel better for it... .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The government and the media really done a lot of mental health damage to some people.

People who have gone all their life before Covid without fear of getting sick are terrified of something that wouldn't have crossed there minds before Covid.

In a fantasy world people can stay home anytime they have a runny nose or a cough.

People need to go to work, people need to do school runs, people need to shop.

Anyone with the flu or a bad cold is going to be staying at home.

Anyone with a runny nose is going to get on with life like before.

Anyone moaning and complaining can apply for a work from home job and do online shopping and be safe.

Most people have to get on with life like we did before Covid.

That is how the real world works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Someone I know who had "only a sore throat" flew to America stayed with friends and finally tested a week after it was first suggested they take a covid test. Turns out they had covid and past it on to at least 9 other people they know of including the couple she was staying with.

"Friends" with only a "?????" who needs them?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• The most useful tool from what I can see is the COVID self tests. If you've symptoms, or suspect you might have COVID just do a test and if it comes up positive stay at home and absolutely stay away from older relatives / vulnerable people.

Also it would make sense to have a bit of air filtration running in offices, schools and tight spaces where people are hanging around a lot.

I've a relative I call to a lot who is in her mid 80s and has very high vulnerability due to a cancer-caused immune deficiency and I just have to plan around it her. If I'm visiting, I do a COVID swab (and so does everyone else) on the way there. It's a minor nuisance but it's worked to keep the damn thing out of her house.

If we've been say out to a big event or whatever where I was possibly more likely to pick something up, I'd give it a few days before even contemplating calling there and test.

She uses a couple of decent air filters and stays as up to date on vaccines as she can - currently has had 6 doses and she uses FFP2 masks where she is in an enclosed space, but she doesn't wear them walking around the street or in any kind of totally over the top / paranoid way. She's just practical.

Beyond that, there's not much anyone can do. She still goes shopping or goes down the road and grabs herself a coffee. She gets taxis and so on.

Her view of it is she'll take reasonable precautions but she has to live her life which when you're in your 80s and you've managing other health issues you really do have to focus on quality of life and enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

The original post never mentioned anything about a runny nose. It's people that are visibly sick and spluttering all over the place, clearly being miserable with whatever they have. And no people don't stay at home with a bad cold and there's more of them going out every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It's a bit tricky as it can sometimes start off with the sniffles and then get progressively worse throughout the day. I've often gone to work in the morning feeling ok-ish and by lunchtime I'm as sick as a plane to Lourdes.

9 people that they know of + people they don't know on the plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Who are all these marvellous employers who are happy to have their staff at home if they have a cold or flu?

It was always the norm for sick people to be in work, there's a lot of mileage between being sick and miserable and being too sick to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

This is exactly it! There are people here now trying to gaslight the rest of us into thinking we ALWAYS acted like this, it is an absolute lie.

• They're few and far between unless you're working in an area where work from home is a possibility - which is great and works for a lot of people, but it's absolutely not the case for everyone.

Other than in some very public sector or some large and fairly bureaucratic companies, Ireland's also probably one of the worst in Europe for sick leave / time off if you're sick. We've a very 'anglophone' approach to work ethic - most people I know would have historically gone to work with full flu symptoms and just dosed up on paracetamol and whatever else.

If you couple that with a lot of sectors being extremely short staffed at present, it's challenging to say the least.

Exactly. I had a cough and was due to go out this evening so took an antigen this morning to be on the safe side.

Lo and behold it was positive, so I'm now stuck in my room for the next 7 days. It's going to be painful but it's the right thing to do so I'll suck it up.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Oh the humanity!!! I hope you reported this criminal to the authorities!

Nobody is trying to gaslight anyone here. You are taking things up wrong again and changing things to suit yourself and your warped thinking. Covid changed things and again I should probably remind you what the current advice is. Stay at home with symptoms. Is there something you don't understand about that?

Would you have gone out if it was negative?

Some here are advocating for those with any symptoms to act like they're weapons of mass destruction.

• All anyone can do is be sensible though. It looks like COVID's just added itself to the range of nasty viruses that fly around, especially in the winter.

The vaccines seem to have mitigated the risk a lot for most people. They're not 100% effective, but they're certainly putting us in a way better position than we were in back in 2020. I mean, we've mostly managed to get back to pretty much 100% normal, other than taking a few minor precautions.

I got COVID myself a recently and while it wasn't pleasant, I didn't develop a cough. I got weird burning sensations in my chest though which was kinda strange, but it passed off without any incident and other than being achy absolutely everywhere, fever and wrecked tired, it wasn't a huge deal. I'm still a bit wrecked even after 2 weeks, but it's wearing off. No doubt that the jabs helped a lot, even if I was a long time since my booster back in December 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭NaFirinne

I think if someone is sick and the need to be out and about then they should wear a mask to minimise spread of their germs. But I also think covid as made people forget that we have an immune system for a reason and it needs to be exposed to germs to be effective.

If by "finish you off" you mean "kill", did anyone actually say that? Although influenza can kill very old people.

If by "finish you off" you mean "make you significantly ill", well influenza can make a person very sick, no matter how tough they are or think they are. And a bad cold (with a fever, headache, extreme fatigue, nose so blocked that it's hard to breathe, bad cough, sore throat, muscle aches etc) can become a chest infection or pneumonia if left untreated. Again, it doesn't make anyone weak to stay in bed for a day or two if they have a dose as bad as that.

• Advertisement

I don't know anyone who freaks out over a sniffle/acts differently to how they did before Covid. And on this thread, all I see is people making up that that's what folk are saying, when nobody is.

The only change I've seen since Covid is the shoite like on this thread, of people trying to act the tough nut - and accusing others of hypochondria/making up that they're scared of a sniffle.

Only you mentioned crime, even if facetiously. It is of course sh1tty not to mention it.

Anywhere I've ever worked has never taken issue with me either phoning in sick or going home early with a bad dose (which requires bed).

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

To another posters point, keep expecting people to isolate and wearing masks and the next illness you get will be worse, which will convince some people that they should mask more and it keeps going. This didn't get much airplay as it first came out during the covid hysteria.

Adenovirus probable cause of mysterious child hepatitis

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-61220518

Due to masking kids they didn't pick up the common colds etc. so they ended up developing something much worse.

"Another possible explanation is that restrictions imposed in the pandemic may have led to young children being first exposed to adenovirus at a slightly later point in their lives, leading to a "more vigorous" immune response in some."

There is a reason we have an immune system and non threatening illness like common cold etc. so that it builds a robust immune system so when a worse illness comes up you can fight it. There was reports during covid that even getting the common cold would build some resistance.

But each to their own, want to wear a mask, wear one but when you continue to try and control how others lead their lives due to your own paranoia then you're over stepping your boundaries.

It changed things for some people, most just want to get back to normal and get on with their lives as they should be allowed to.

For me it changed how I operated during that period somewhat, now it's back to the same routine and how I conducted myself before covid.

It's down to risk tolerance and whether you believe more in your bodies ability to fight off infection or that of modern medicine and advice of authorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Honestly I have witnessed your posts for 2 years on the Covid forum.

I would imagine if someone coughed after a drink going down the wrong way it would make you hysterical.

People are going back to how they acted before Covid.

If Covid didn't happen you wouldn't be so worried about the situation.

Wear a mask and take precautions that make you feel safe, which nobody has a problem with you doing so.

But the majority of people are going back to how they behaved before Covid, ranting on boards about it is not going to change anything.

You are free to do what makes you feel safe and others are free to go back to normal life.

Keep safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭eggy81

There’s fairly rough doses going too. Laid up here now for the third time since September. Immune system is wrote off from last 2 years. Covid 6 weeks ago, vomiting bug 2 weeks ago and now some sort of flu like yoke that’s the worst I’ve had in years. No craic at all. Wouldn’t be able to go spreading it about.

It's not down to risk tolerance and how you might fight off infection. It's about staying at home when sick and not spreading whatever you have. You know follow the actual advice which is stay at home with symptoms. I can wake up tomorrow with a cold or whatever but I'm not too bad, so off I go and spread it. To hell with others around me. Maybe, I should spread whatever I have to the pregnant lady in work as well? Sure it's on her if she catches whatever I have.

Off you go. But I like to remind my employer of what the current HSE advice is and you will be sent home if you come in with whatever dose you have. Boo hoo.

I genuinely hadn't decided but was leaning towards no. It's a really nasty cough and nobody would thank you for bringing that out in public these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭eggy81

You can be sick and miserable and still able to work.

People have always worked when they have a bad cold, there's no way employers are going to tell everyone to go home now.

In that case Japan, where mask wearing has been commonplace for decades, must be the world leader for sickness and days off, right ?

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/healthiest-countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Had to check the date on that post.... I thought we were back in 2020 again..................

Dont worry , our 'leaders' will have us under Chinese law again soon...

Imagine locking down a city of 25million people because of 87 deaths !!?!?!

Place is going bonkers again .... Wheres "Saint" Tony Donohoe

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Read my post again you clearly didn’t understand it the first time.

He’s probably posing for another mural on some pub somewhere.

Nobody is even close to suggesting that. The barefaced dishonesty on this thread is particularly bad even for Boards. Just reams of posts stating people said things they didn't say.

But shesty, who's advocating for being locked away because of a sniffle?

If you are so sick that you need to stay in bed but drag yourself to work, that's crap form. Not many do it but I worked with two people who did. Everyone else got sick, and they just ended up making themselves even more sick.

And coughing and sneezing non stop (emphasis on "non stop" because people are so quick to take things up wrongly on this thread) is disgusting.

That's what the OP is referring to - not hiding from every germ, which is impossible. I don't wear a mask unless in a healthcare setting. If I have a mild cold, I carry on as normal.

Most people don't want to be laid up - particularly this time of year. I feel like I'm coming down with something as I've very achy muscles and I'm absolutely wiped with fatigue, and I've a night out Friday and Saturday. I don't want to miss those for the world, and if I just feel a little "off" but not ill, I'm there. I'll be gutted if I get sicker and have to miss them. Two antigen tests done anyway - both negative. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭jackboy

It’s impossible to decide though what is sick enough to merit staying at home. Who judges that. Obviously if you are sick enough that you should be in bed it is an easy decision. Most people can function well with a cold after taking a paracetamol.

• Advertisement

Well unless I've read you wrongly, you've answered your question. When you're too sick to leave the bed you just know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭jackboy

Fair enough, I agree. Unless you are terribly sick take a paracetamol and get on with things.

Here's a thread from two years before we knew what Covid was! I'm the poster "Goya" on it. Same misinterpretations, plenty of martyrs. 😊

What's with workplaces having a problem with people phoning in sick? I'm working many a year and it's only a problem if the person is taking the piss. But otherwise they understand if you're sick you're sick. I got Covid bad in May so I was out for four days. That's it for the year. That's not frequent - and people do get ill. Bosses who have a problem with people being out sick (as if it's just someone being inconsiderate) sound like headcases.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057695170/people-coming-into-work-when-theyre-ill

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Lads horsing the antigen tests into themselves hahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

Most people can function with a cold. But are we forgetting what's on the HSE website. Covid can feel like a cold. And people are meant to isolate with symptoms. So that also includes a cold. So that's easy enough making that decision, isn't it?

Will that stop or encourage people to go into work when sick?

<<< the controversial opinions thread is that way. 😁

So? I want to know for myself, it's handy. The "I'm too cool to get sick" bluster is primary school level stuff.

You seem pretty paranoid, maybe live in a bubble and the rest of us will get on with it.

• Advertisement

A pretty general statement. What percentage of the country wear masks what percentage of the time? I don't remember ever seeing footage prior to covid with thousands on Japanese walking around with masks. In Japan they also eat better than a lot of western countries so are in general healthier and maybe have better immune systems?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement