Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Probably mid 70's. hard to know as they werent sold here until 2018 AFAIR

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's a bog standard Model S, not quite sure what they sold for but maybe about €85k? It's almost 5 years old, so if it sold for €50k it would have depreciated by just over 40% in nearly 5 years time. This is fairly low in general, and very low for any car in the F segment (very large luxury cars)

I'd have thought this would have been snapped up at that price, but a €50k second hand car selling privately doesn't have a huge target market. And it's a sign the car market has dropped quite a bit in the last few months. I could have one for sale too, and it looks like I won't be getting what I thought I was getting when I ordered my new car 2 months ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Yeah easy mentally think of depreciation in percentage terms but 35k is still a lot of cash to lose.

Presumably looking at the reg that one is an import so unlikely the current owner is losing much

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

€30425 for an Excite SR mentioned to me on Saturday at Frank Keanes unfortunately.

Everyone is at it.

With most new cars you should be able to take some dealer extras off it, like paint protection stuff, servicing plans, etc., if you ask them. But yeah, they're all at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Jaysus, that Aygo is fairly clung to the wall!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Original Tesla S and X vastly overpriced, they were never worth that money, €3k for premium sound etc

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Haha. Noticed that as well. Did they park the car next to the wall or build the wall next to the car?

Really not a look that inspires any great confidence. Screams high volume low quality merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Not sure if they were that overpriced- still not much to touch them even at a 100k+ today - the S in particular is a massive practical car with strong performance and decent range

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Regarding the Hyundai ioniq mentioned yesterday, the reference to no Hyundai warranty was nothing to do with it being an import, when I asked about it the dealer said sure you know what they are like , all services must be done in main dealer and genuine parts, I didn't see documentation, but was under the illusion there was no Hyundai warranty based on his comments.

I have previous experience with Hyundai, Tuscon under warranty shat a clutch, they said they would cover it, but 12/14 weeks to get it done, essentially forcing me to get it done privately, they are renowned for doing anything to get out of warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Jealous of the physical buttons under the screen on that ioniq. Wish my car had some of them for often used functions. Hope next gen of cars have more physical buttons and not just screens.

I am driving a UK Ioniq 28 import that was bought second hand. It had never been in the garage when I bought it (3 years old), so had had zero services / map updates / whatever.

Dropped it into Mooney's Longmile for servicing not long after purchase, all sorted under warranty, recalls etc too. Replaced charging port actuator when it started to get sticky / need emergency release pulled occasionally under warranty too.

Has recently 'come out' of warranty which was unfortunate as a rear abs hub needed replacing only a couple of weeks outside of warranty period but unfortunately couldn't get Mooney's to give me a dig out here.

Clutch is wear and tear, never covered by warranty. Maybe there was some miscommunication and you thought they said they'd cover it.

Agree with that. The only better large hatchback luxury EV that you can buy in Ireland today is a Porsche Taycan. Because it's a Porsche, built like a Porsche and drives like a Porsche. Tech wise it is very far behind the Tesla still.

Incorrect, the clutch went within 20k and they conceded that it was not normal wear and tear and was a recurrent issue on the model in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Was your wife driving the car?

It's a bloody joke, for all the woke folk.

She will be seriously offended 😂

I have a mate in the industry and says its grand for Kia and Hyundai offering 7 yr warrantys, as they spend the 7yrs coming up with any way possible of getting out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

Hi Everyone

Just checking does anyone have a runaround EV for sale for around €5K?

Sold my wife's ID4 and need something as a stop gap until her new EV arrives in February.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭joe1303l

At that budget your choices will be very limited. For the sake of 6 weeks, you might better off renting a car as a stopgap rather than buying something you’ll get stuck with.

An old Leaf like this is probably your only option at that money https://www.donedeal.ie/view/32937822

Nissan Leaf Electric

Thanks, the plan was to rent.

But it's going to cost around €1k for 6 weeks. Plus any delays with the new car arriving.

I was thinking a leaf (I was looking at the one you sent) €5k ish drive it for 6-8 weeks and you would surely loose little to no money.

Plus my wife is now accustomed to EV, can't put her back in a ICE :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Surely for 6 weeks it's the cheapest NCT'd ICE you can buy and resell on week 7

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

€1000 for rental might not be the worst option as you’ll be in a newish car that you won’t have to fix if it goes wrong. You could well be waiting a while to get your money back on that Leaf. I’m not sure how quickly they sell but someone more knowledgeable with that end of the market might advise.

Would you not get a loaner off whoever is supplying your new car or are you gone down the Tesla route ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

If you dont need it every day, would Go car work for you?

Rent it as you need it? Depends on if there are cars in your area ofc.

Thanks for your replies.

Yes we are waiting on a Model Y which may not turn up until late Feb early March.

We are about 30 minutes from the nearest go car.

I'm leaning towards like you said just picking up a cheap ICE locally that can take 2 child seats and sell it on afterwards.

I wasn't planning on letting the ID4 go until the end of Jan but I put it on DD to test the waters and it sold within 24 hours.

We basically got the bones of 2 years depreciation free driving out of the ID4 which is madness really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

A cheap ICE car can be a dice roll, there's more chance of getting 9,500e back on a 10k car than 2,500e back on a 3k car IMO and the 3k car could be a lemon

That's true, it will definitely require a little more research

As you got the money you wanted for the ID4 and managed to sell it with zero hassle, I’d be tempted to lose the €1,000 on rental to avoid the hassle of buying and selling a possible heap of junk. Otherwise something like a cheap 2010 Fiesta with plenty NCT left might be easier move on again than the likes of a Leaf when you need to. Only other cheaper option would be to rent a small van like a Berlingo or Partner that has 3 seats up front. If it would work for you, the likes of value van rental are pretty cheap if you can provide your own insurance.

Spotted a nice T reg 1st edition ID4 in Blue on DD last week that sold very quickly, if it was yours it was priced fairly and well presented.

Yeah I'm on the fence with the rental Vs buying at the moment.

I just read an article that the Tesla plant in China is slowing production due to covid issues. Which may even push the delivery into march. If that turns out to be the case the rental bill will double.

Well spotted, that was my ID4 , sold into the trade. I was contacted by 6 dealers within 3 hours of listing it. So I'm sure it will be up for sale again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My honest opinion is buy some cheap banger(harder got now a days I know, since people seem to think it's a classic or some such) with about four months NCT and the plan I'd have is I will be scrapping it once NCT is up or new car arrives which ever is first.

I wouldn't spend five grand on a cheap EV. That you may be stuck with or not make your money back as you will have to sell at a loss just to get rid of it.

• Advertisement

That's a fair point aswell. A nice 1k luxobarge would fit the bill :)

Advertisement