Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

One has to think about it this way when buying property imho.

Also, its really the interest part that is the rent, as the other bit is taking a portion off the principle, which is a proxy for saving and building wealth.

All within reason by the way.

How much should repayments be for 3 bed as a matter of interest?

Say for the sake of argument the first payment is 50:50 interest:principle, so they are paying 900 interest but paying 900 off the mortgage itself.

Also it depends on their take home pay. If their take-home pay is 3k per month, that is right, but if its 6k per month, then it's comfortable.

Where are these property price falls and rent falls?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭old_house

I am not surprised that we see more decreases than increases in the listed price. Why would anyone want to go back to renew a listing and increase the price unless maybe a sale has fallen through and it has to be relisted anyway? I think most people would just deal with the offers coming in and sell it to the highest bidder without going back to the listing, whereas if it turns out the asking price was too high or something comes up during the survey lower relistings are much more likely. Asking prices are not very realiable as a value indicator, and changes in same even less so...

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Agreed. I think the metric is interesting in terms of price decreases but the increases are not a reflection of what happens on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Each house around us that is sold is being sold for higher than the last. I dont know anyone who has moved and is paying less rent apart from one couple who moved into a rent controlled apartment owned by a relative of theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,382 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Maybe if the estate agent listed it for 400k and they currently have the house in a bidding war at 500k and don't want people wasting their time calling to bid 410k?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

Monthly price movements:

July +1.0

August + 1.1

September + 0.6

October (just released) +0.4

As always discussed these are very lagged but finally the data looks to be cooling off after unexpectedly shooting higher in the summer months.

Governments don't want to see huge house price crashes.

It's terrible for their electoral success and terrible for the wider economy.

Much easier for them to support existing property owners, i.e the majority of the population and give cash handouts or subsidies to would he house buyers, which in turn pushes up prices.

We have a big worldwide crash in 2008-2009. What do you think QE was? What do you think NAMA was? When have seen this movie before, yet you think we will have a different ending.

I will admit that there may be some heat taken out of the market, especially in older houses in poor locations. Perhaps a modest 5-10% drop over a few years, But if you think houses will drop 50%, I've magic beans to sell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

I take it these are finalised sales figures? So Octobers figures are probably for sales agreed in June/July?

Hope the trend continues!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭fliball123

I think some older houses at the lower end of the market will benefit from the recently expanded vacant property refurbishment grant where an FTB can get €30,000 (plus an additional €20,000 for structural works if required), and that's on top of the available SEAI grants as long as the house has been vacant for 2 years or more and you make it your primary residence afterwards. That is a huge amount of money and I can see how that will make those houses a lot more appealing to some.

It's an abstract number, but what it means is that a modest house at a price point of €250,000 got another €1000 more expensive - within a month. It's still hard to keep up with that...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I think a 50% drop is probably off the cards too, but a fall in prices in real terms is probably inevitable.

The population cohort that will be entering the market next i.e. current 20-30 year olds is significantly smaller than the current buying cohort of 30-45 year olds. As the absolute stock of houses is growing this can only lead to prices falling. This is unless net migration continues strongly to fill jobs that are mortgageable.

As an aside it's absolutely mad that we carry out a census every five years which predicts supply challenges in many sectors (e.g. the late noughties baby boom resulting in a current stress on secondary school places) but nothing ever seems to be done to prepare for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Lads I am sorry to keep coming on here and saying prices if they drop wont drop a whole pile .If property sale price is withing sticking distance of making a deal to purchase ,you should grab the bull by the horns .Lots of cheap property was bought up there after the burst ,thats never again going to happen .

You have clowns like Paul Murphy coming on prime time tv telling you that builders should build houses for no profit so prices will drop ,it is hard to know what planet some people are living on!!

Yep, sounds about right.

Expect it to continue to trend down and should be showing flat/negative by early next year. But I made the same prediction in Spring 2022 when things were trending down and it took off again. So who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

Why central banks are going to crash markets worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,447 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Your graph does not indicate if or why a central bank would crash a market, it is just more fluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Doesnt it always slow into Winter and pick up again in Spring though?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

And what exactly will that do. There is probably 4+ areas that influence house prices.

Site costs yes a market crash could reduce these however that in itself would not significantly reduce house prices

Materials were expensive, however they have slightly dropped, but carbon taxes on building materials ( mainly effects steel and concrete) is going to keep increasing.

Labour costs are high at present but it hard to see them significantly reduce. There is a shortage of construction workers in Ireland and it's hard to see excess workers elsewhere which will significantly reduce prices

Regulations are adding cost all the time whether it's the concrete levy, planning, design, etc, unless we changevthe

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Not sure how seasonal the CSO data is. Although the October data probably represents summer sales so wouldn’t expect it to be a big factor this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

You left out rent, immigration and rent subsidies.

When rents go up REITs will pay more for houses. Investors pay more, etc

When immigration is positive the demand on housing increases and rent goes up.

When the government subsidises rent less people emigrate and more REITs enter the market and rents go up and house prices go up.

There seems to be real anger and despair building for an ever greater section of the population. I'm not sure what will happen if the accommodation crisis keeps going this way but Irish did fight back before (land war).

That time we the underlings were in it together against mostly wealthy absentee landlords. This time it looks uglier if the reactions below are a reflection of reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭Timing belt

The one thing that does need to be factored in is the split between new and existing houses…. There is a lag in new house prices in the CSO where someone agreed the price and the house got delivered in 9 months time….I suspect that if you drilled into cso data that there is probably a difference story between executed and filled in the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

If you don't like it don't read it. Plenty of other people appreciated the article being posted. It reflects the facts of what is happening on the ground in Sweden where there was a shortage of property just like there is in Ireland and interest rates are on a similar trajectory just with a time lag in the EU. Not sure why you believe I think Sweden is exactly the same as Ireland but there are similarities. Why would the fact that existing homeowners are on variable rates affect buyers who can avail of fixed rates?

You might want to read what Bass posted again, virtually all exiting owners and prospective buyers in Sweden are on variable rates, they are all exposed to rate hikes, whereas in Ireland a significant percentage have availed of fixed rates which means they are not as affected by rate hikes during the duration of the fixed term. He is not saying variable rate owners affect fixed rate buyers.

He said "the fact that it seems that virtually all Swedish mortgages are variable and this is effecting...buyers" and I have asked why?

Prospective buyers are not on variable rates as you've stated, they can choose fixed rate products if they want. In any case I fail to see why this differentiates the Swedish market from the Irish market which is what he is implying - this is a feature of every property market - buyers can choose variable or fixed rate products - both are available in the Swedish market.

Affects BOTH buyers and owners in Sweden, they all suffer when rates go up. There may be a reason why mortgage rates are predominantly variable in Sweden, maybe banks don’t offer fixed rates like they do here, maybe the Swedes don’t believe in fixing their mortgages. But in Ireland many owners and buyers do fix their rates, so increasing rates don’t affect as many people here, hence the affects of rate increases may not be felt as much in the property market here as they seem to be in Sweden.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭amacca

If both fixed and variable are available why are such a high percentage of Swedish buyers on variable rates?....

If the vast majority of Swedish buyers are on variable rates it very much does differentiate their market from ours...

But it's the effects on buyers I've asked about. Anyway its nonsense so I'm not sure why I'm bothering.

• Advertisement

You don’t see the correlation between such a high percentage of variable rate mortgages and property prices in Sweden at a time when rates are rising, and the benefit of a much higher percentage of fixed mortgages in Ireland? How can that be?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement