Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Ahh, so now we're back to making tax bands based on whether a marketing department called a car a hatchback, people carrier or an SUV.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carbuncle

Not sure the best way to replace the current motor tax system but some have suggested price per km. all post 2017 cars sold in the eu were/are required to have the sos system built in (ecall) my 2017 i3 had it. Check your car and let your family know know where the button is and when to press it

for those that don’t know the car will send a burst of data inc speed gps etc if it detects a serious crash or the button is pressed.

that data is relayed to the place designated for the area the incident was activated in. A human will call from a call centre to check the situation, if you don’t answer or request assistance then emergency services will be notified you need help, the data with position will have been sent already

you don’t need a phone on you for this to work, it could of course be blocked with a phone blocker or mechanically disabled but the fact is that tracking is built into every car on the road in Ireland since at least January 2018 (well most, private non eu imports won’t have it).

what else could it be used for? Road pricing, covert tracking, auto speed fines etc I don’t know what rules there are for eu members to request data (live or stored) from a particular car.

who knows but it’s built into probably the majority of cars on the road in Ireland today

it’s usually above the rear view mirror, on my Honda e it’s under a flip down cover

Pressed to check a few years ago and had a nice chat with a lady and a friend had a minor crash and did not know what was happening when the voice came through the speakers

maybe other people here have experienced it - I think airbags have to be activated for it to work automatically.

good idea safety wise but it could be used for a lot of things people may not be too keen on - if moving drugs or bodies then as well as switching off your burner get a blocker or use a car without the sos button.

maybe the eu have already decided that when something like 75% of cars on the road have it then live and stored data will be made available to member countries if they want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You can't have decent public transport outside of the greater Dublin area apart from some urban settings. The population density is simply far too low. Outside of the greater Dublin area the population density in Ireland is 25 times as low as in the whole of the Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No it’s not, we’ve ad id4 that’s €120 a year and a 2005 Ford C-Max that’s €560 a year. The Ford is far from a luxury

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Nah, think of it from the government's perspective, do they want to get into that hassle of gathering and storing all that data and complying with data protection regulations, etc, etc.

Maybe in China they'd want to in now where you are 100% of the time, but I honestly don't think our government gives a crap what people are doing as long as it isn't illegal and they're not all living off the dole

It'll be some basic as biscuits annual fee based on some characteristic of the car, same as it's always been

If they're doing pay per distance then it'll be a lot simpler to just introduce pay per exit tolls on the motorways

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

They can call it whatever they want but the dimensions of the car or the weight determine the segment and those are immutable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

They can't even match up PPS numbers, with addresses in this country no chance they'd be able to manage all that big brother data

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

You're right. Originally the discussion centred on the merits of different mechanisms to subsidise EVs. The current model is considered by some to be inefficient as it mainly results in a transfer of taxpayer funds to manufacturers without making EVs more affordable, unlike a proposed alternative model based on unlimited tax exemption.

My view is that changing to a unlimited tax exemption would make very little difference in terms of reducing the price or increasing the supply of more affordable EVs. However, it certainly would be more beneficial to the purchasers of more expensive EVs currently above the €60k grant threshold. Don't think that's appropriate and just not sure it would be an easy sell in the current economic climate but I can see why it would be attractive to some.

As you say all other EV related motor tax discussion is for the future when EVs motor taxation, irrespective of the model adopted, will no doubt increase significantly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The only formal designation we have is M class for personal vehicles. At an EU level we basically said we use segments as an indicator but without formal definition. That's fine in todays world where the numbers are only used for roughly comparing sales data.

If we were to jump into using them for policy decisions you'd need a formal system of designation. The T-Roc and ID.3 have the same width (1819mm vs 1809mm), height (1573mm vs 1568mm), length (4234mm vs 4261mm) and ground clearance (160mm vs 150mm). One of them is reported as a C class (medium car) the other is reported as J class (sport utility car). Is the less than 1cm difference in any dimension enough to make taxation policy?

• Advertisement

Fair enough, it would need a more formalised classification system. However there is an ISO standard for vehicle type already, so it isn't a huge stretch to put size and weight limits around it

As for different classifications meaning different taxes, well that's the way it's always been. I've seen car engines written down as 1.95l capacity to avoid going into the next tax band

I mean it doesn't need to be vehicle segment by itself. It's an indicator of vehicle size and weight but you're correct that it isn't formalised enough to be used outright

The point I'm trying to make is that car taxes based on a high degree of government surveillance aren't realistically going to happen.

There's some people saying that your smart meter will report to ESBN when you're charging your car and somehow tax that. Remember this is the same ESBN that weren't able to implement a night rate on smart meters until recently and have only just launched a portal where you can see your usage

Similarly a tax on mileage isn't going to happen either. The amount of government oversight required to monitor that is beyond their capacity to manage IMO

Car taxes have always been based on immutable characteristics of the car which the customer cannot hide or misrepresent.

Given that the government has generally favoured smaller cars in the past then I imagine this trend will continue

25% difference in fuel efficiency to a Golf though, so that's easy enough to differentiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Can you get a day night rate now on a smart meter ?

Taxing based on rated fuel efficiency isn't taxation based on body type. Also your number is still off based on the product guides from VW.

No, at least not in the sense of the rates you'll get on D/N meters

Up until recently ESBN couldn't implement the 30 mins readings on smart meters , so they could only have 24 hour rates

Now the electricity suppliers have more flexibility to have time of use rates, which is good in theory except all the rates went up by about 30-50%

To give an example, Energia have a Smart EV plan which gives a 12.64c night rate, but only for 4 hours. The rest of the "night rate" is 28.17c which is more than double the D/N meter night rate

Well as you said the companies just make up the names for the body types, the lifted cars all have one thing in common, inefficiency compared to the non lifted verison. So taxation based on efficiency does indirectly penalize lifted cars.

Yeah and the problem with taxing consumption in EV world is that some of the most expensive EVs have very low WLTP consumption.

If motor tax effectively targeted at more expensive cars then this won't accomplish the goals of the tax

Ultimately, taxes like motor tax exist for two reasons

The first is obviously to provide a source of revenue to the government. The official explanation is that motor tax pays for road maintenance but this hasn't been the case for decades, all tax revenue goes into a central fund

The second reason is to nudge consumers to buy cars that accomplish the governments political goals. This was the motivation behind switching to CO2 emissions as a basis for taxation to encourage the uptake for low emmision vehicles (worked out great didn't it, that daily dose of diesel fumes reminds me how wonderful asthma attacks are)

Same for putting EVs on a lower tax band, to nudge the population towards buying them

So, what are the political goals of the current government?

Well there definitely seems to be a desire to roll back EV incentives slowly, so the flat €120 tax rate is going to go at some point

If you listen to the Greens, they'd prefer everyone to use public transport and cycle and will probably want to nudge people towards owning smaller cars or not owning a car

FF and FG seem to lean more towards just swapping all the existing cars out for EVs and will probably go after the usual approach to trying to tax higher value cars to generate more revenue

So that's why I think it'll be some function of size or weight. It's hardly a universal rule but generally bigger car = more luxury

I mean if you don't believe me just look at the jeeps that BMW, Audi and Mercedes produce. They seem to design them to be bigger than the equivalent cars from other manufacturers

How much of a taxation difference do you think is needed to change someones behaviour and how are you going to apologise to the family with a people carrier instead of 2 cars who now have to may exorbitant amounts of tax because you wanted to price someone out of a T-Roc into a Golf?

As I said previously it's better to lump the tax onto new cars rather than penalize less well off people that in 8years will only have a choice of jacked up SUV/Crossover types to buy because that's what richer people are choosing to buy new today. The goal is to change the buying decisions today, once someone chooses a Troc instead of an ID3 you've locked in a lifetime of emissions that you could have avoided by making the Troc 10k (or whatever works ) more expensive than the ID3 today.

If they choose to pay the exorbitant price you have some additional tax revenue to build metro, buy some electric buses, incentivise taxis to switch etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Indeed @MightyMunster, just lump a 4 percent extra tax on new EVs over about €25k and abolish motor tax. On the average value new EV costing €50k, this is about €2k, which represents roughly 10 years of motor tax for many current cars (EV or ICE)

This also complies with the most important principle of taxation - ease of collection. No motortax office necessary any more, no nasty checks of people's compliance with self-reported km figures. Just be done with it with zero admin cost.

• Advertisement

Why are you jumping back to the ID.3 vs T-Roc, if your comparing the two similarly sized vehicles with similar drivetrain (the T-Roc and Golf in my example) to account for the "SUV tax" how much do you think is needed to encourage your preferred choice?

Carbon price is around around half the recommended amount so double VRT in all cars above 0 emissions. That should slow sales of less efficient cars

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Where are these magic "0 emissions" cars though? Sure, zero tailpipe emissions but what about the materials to manufacture them & the electricity to charge them? That's got to be accounted for too I think?

No, nothing short of an outright ban is warranted here for anything that is an SUV, purports to be an SUV or resembles an SUV.

That'll soften their cough 😁.

What would you ban, which dimension of the T-Roc over the ID.3 makes it a bannable vehicle?

Dimensions are immaterial here. It's perception. SUVs are invariably perceived to be bad so I'd specifically target them.

Criteria would be:

anything that is an SUV, purports to be an SUV or resembles an SUV

Just like they do for firearms. Assault rifles are banned, as are firearms that purport to be assault rifles or resemble assault rifles. It's actually a doctrine in Irish & international legislation.

An SUV might be efficient, built from largely recyclable materials & driven very little, possibly in a high density, urban area. It's still an SUV though.

That's really easy then, you implement your new taxation system then the next day I sell the same car as a family hatch. Congratulations you've achieved your goal of removing all SUVs from Irish roads.

But you agree in principle that we should really, really, penalise hard, those who chose to drive "SUV" type vehicles. I mean big, opulent, inefficient, expensive & wholly unnecessary cars?

That seems to be the prevailing ideology?

Steelmanning here. I'm even questioning my thinking here to be honest.

No because I don't think whether a vehicle is labelled an SUV by a marketing department is important when it comes to taxation. I don't see the point of a taxation system that penalises a Dacia Duster (SUV) over a Bentley Continental (Luxury Saloon). Similarly I don't believe that arbitrary vehicle segments (A, B, C etc) are useful whilst their definition largely comes from positioning within a manufacturers range rather than a particular physical property.

Instead we should be basing taxation off engineered properties such as power usage per km, distance travelled, and initial purchase price. We cover the initial purchase price using the VRT system. I'd apply mileage bands based on a standardised efficiency rating such as WLTP, and then assess road usage either via the NCT system or a future tech solution. The road usage element should seek to substitute for the current level of taxation applied on fuel following the principal of polluter pays.

I see your point regarding usage, but I don't see how it's practical without some big brother style surveillance system, which the government probably doesn't have the ability or interest to develop

I mean you could probably accomplish the same thing in principle by making every motorway and N road a toll road and just have a flat charge for road tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

As mentioned taxes drive decisions and may impact buying choices and usage choices.

For example we priced the train Dublin to Galway for a group. Instead we decided to bring ICE as it was cheaper and easier if not green.

At time of purchase we need ways for people to opt for more efficient/smaller cars. Taxing engine size resulted in small engines with turbos. Lots of 1299 engines as 1300 was higher bracket.

Options, weight, motor power, battery, wltp range, length, room inside, cost as in vat or vrt based on % of cost.

After purchase annual fixed amount such as motor tax linked to car but not usage.

Then usage based, mileage submitted each year at tax time, submitted by car, submitted by nct, checked at Garda checkpoint etc.

City usage versus urban usage as in inside M50 would be one rare, Donegal another rate, newer cars have gps logging and older cars could be retrofitted with black box or pay a penalty or be banned from cities by reg.

Tolls, price of tolls could be linked to car efficiency, there is already plans for multiple tolls on M50 based on number of junctions you travel. In the UK many cities have a variable toll to enter the city centre, such a London etc.

All the above is politically sensitive. Many people are locked into long commutes, fixed home with mortgage, stuck in a job.

Personally I moved home closer to work to avoid commuting, but it's not an option for most.

The right taxes can drive a change in behaviour. Taxing work parking spaces per day used may drive employers and employees wanting to work from home and this could be a really big impact and support green parties hopes. It's politically sensitive and these days planning rules intend not having enough work parking spaces for all the staff, so creating a shortage of spaces through planning. Similar is done with new apartments, only one or less spaces per apartment. I don't agree with all this, but I can crawl on my hands and knees to work. I haved about 18,000 euro over 4 years of commuting on fuel and tolls. Depreciation on the car is about 2000 per year.

Advertisement