Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless homeowner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭howiya

In her interview with Claire Byrne she said she did the notice herself and that now she has got legal assistance with the new notice so I think that's as good as admitting she made an error.

The following is only guesswork on my part. She issued the notice in July. Notice periods also changed in July. Did the notice have the wrong notice period on it?

Also the amount of time a tenant could dispute the notice with the RTB was extended to 90 days. In the Claire Byrne interview she said the RTB only told her after 4 months that the notice was invalid. Did tenant wait till day 89 to dispute the notice?

Clock resets on the notice period when the correct notice is issued so I'm starting to think that the eviction ban is a bit of a red herring here. Eviction ban or not she'd still currently be temporarily homeless. I think the only reason she's bringing up the eviction ban is because she's worried it may be extended.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1. I don't think you understand what a moderator's role is
    2. I'm not a moderator of this forum
    3. If you think there is an issue with any of my posts (or anyone else's posts) then report them rather than go on and on

Regardless, you've left the thread by now so won't see this!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,537 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I think the only reason she's bringing up the eviction ban is because she's worried it may be extended.

I would think it's rather to confuse and try to get some kind of pity by having something else to blame which actually has nothing to do with her problem. You see plenty of it on the thread here - people moaning about the ban when it is probably the case that even if there was no ban, she wouldn't be able to get them out earlier due to her original invalid notice. The earliest she would have been able to get them out would be 180 days after serving the valid notice.

If she says she didn't realise it until they told her 4 months later, then she'd probably have been looking at next March or April anyway even if the moratorium did not exist

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

According to the article she moved to Dubai in July 2021 and rented her apartment after that, up to July 6th of this year, notice for more than 6 months, less than 1yr was 90 days. So if the notice was served before July 6th, 90 days would be correct notice, the 120 days came after that.

Yes actually, you are correct. Which refutes the point even more. She could have been back in the gaff in Sept had she done it correctly in June

• Advertisement

Again, unless there is another article with more clarity, she served notice in July, not June.

Look, some here are saying that if she had followed correct procedure, she wouldn’t have a problem, but from what I can gather, the invalidity of the notice appears only to be the opinion of what I can only assume was Threshold, an organisation known for its tenant bias and dubious advice.

To me, and I could be wrong, the confusion stems from the wording in the article and her reference to invalidity due to the moratorium on evictions. There is no mention that I can see of the notice period being wrong or any technical deficiency in it, the only mention is the moratorium and that the notice isn’t “valid” due to the new legislation. If that is the case, why are posters saying that the invalid notice is her fault

Edit: After looking at the date the moratorium started, the dates would be tight, 90 days before July 6th would have made the notice valid and enforceable, after that the 120 days may have put her just over October 30th.

I was responding to a post that said that if she had issued her notice in June, she would have been still caught by the moratorium. I was pointing out that that assertion was false.

A charity does not get to decide legality. That is only her own condescension at wanting to deligitimise the "charity" as being somehow responsible. If she thinks the notice was valid, she could defend any challenge the tenants make to it. Ya know, the tenants that are "on board" with the eviction. She also said that.

However, as someone else pointed out earlier, she also felt the need to have a solicitor help her draft the subsequent notice. Why would you do that if the original one was valid?

She appears to want to gain sympathy because of the moratorium when it doesn't appear to be the cause of anything at all. She possibly felt it would be more of a hard done by story if she could blame the moratorium rather than saying "ah, well it was my own fault because I didn't keep up to date on things and I made a balls of it".

I don't find her story credible at all. Too many holes.

I fail to see why any proper landlord who does things right would be standing up for someone who is suffering the consequences of doing something wrong.

Have a listen to her on Claire Byrne. The RTB told her the notice was invalid, not Threshold.

Ah, I’m sorry, I’m going by the Times article and that video Seth posted, which are light on actual details. She said a charity told the tenant it was invalid, I took that to be Threshold.

She did say that. It comes across as an attempt to project that she was hard done by due to an arbitrary decision by some kind of amateur charity organisation (implying they made the wrong decision)

• Advertisement

TBF, Threshold are not known for giving impartial advice to tenants, I doubt it would surprise anyone if Threshold told a tenant to overhold or contest a termination on less then solid ground.

She would not be the first LL to seek legal advice, even after a valid eviction has been served.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The Regulation of Providers of Building Works and Miscellaneous Provisions Bill 2022 in addition to changing the notice period required also introduced the requirement to send a copy of the notice to the RTB and increased the period to refer a dispute of the notice of termination from 28 days to 90 days.

The original notice could have been found invalid for failure to comply with either of these new requirements or any of the exiting requirements.

The requirement to send a copy of the notice of termination to the RTB leaves little doubt that the original notice of termination was invalid.

That's irrelevant in this case. What was in question was the legal validity of the notice. They have no power to decide that

Yeah I'd say they were involved on the tenant side alright.

The bit that annoys me most about this is that she is obliged to send a copy of the notice to the RTB. They clearly don't read it. Within a week a landlord should be told if there's an issue with the notice. I think it's very clear from the timelines involved that the RTB only look at the notice when a dispute around its validity was raised.

That's not their role though. It could never be their role. If it was, it would mean doing an assessment, and coming to a determination, on every notice that comes in. And what happens in the case that they think it is ok on first glance, but later on the tenant appeals and provides additional information that means it is invalid......you'd have the RTB as liable because it was somehow their responsibility to validate it for the landlord.

If the landlord doesn't know how to draft one, they can get legal advice. Same as any business. The RTB cannot be responsibly for substituting themselves for that legal advice.

It is only the tenant that can raise the dispute. The tenant might not bother, or might not want to raise a dispute even if the notice is invalid. They might just leave anyway. If there was an onus on the RTB to inform the landlord, there would be an equal onus to inform the tenant that it is invalid

The RTB would basically be having to do a full determination of validity for each and every one that comes in. Which is something which they do do when there is a challenge. But that is only a subset of what comes in

The tenant still has the right to raise a dispute.

Why do landlords have to send a copy of the notice to the RTB if they're not looked at?

Possibly in case there is a dispute later where the landlord claims to have sent a different letter than the tenant receives.

e.g. the landlord says they sent the letter with the correct 180 days notice period whereas the tenant says they sent it with a 120 days notice period etc etc.

As to your other point, why would the RTB allow the tenant to raise another dispute over the notice if they have already determined it was valid? The issue is res judicata

Yeah perhaps.

I just think it's wrong to have the landlord left in limbo for that long. Four months is a long time to be sitting on something.

Would you be concerned about the hefty fine that would most likely ensue?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

To be honest DT what is there role. They have admitted before a dail committee that both LL and tenants at this stage find all the changes in legislation confusing.

Even fairly competent LL are now going to solicitors and estate agents to get rent reviews and termination notices processed

What other business requires professionals to administer day to day paperwork. Just think about that.

While you are at it there has been at least five changes to tenancy regulations this year. Two concerning the way rent increases are calculated, one regarding registration of tenancy, one regarding notice of termination and then the termination moratorium.

As a registered LL like any other regulated business you would expect the regulatory body to notify you. You would expect that of you contacted such a body you would get information back within 24-48 hours....well a week anyway. It's easier to contact and get information out of the CIA than it is to deal with the RTB.

Today I contacted the department of agriculture's about an issue and the issue was resolved with a 15 minute phone call. Its takes the RTB at least 3 weeks to answer an email.

So there is no first glance.

It immaterial because it is tenants that suffer most as supply will continue to contract as less as and less temporary available accommodation will be available to rent from so called have a go LL.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

TBH if I was in her situation I would not be if it was a house. But I imagine that it is an apartment so it is not applicable.

Slava Ukrainii

This is the problem with present legislation. There is no balance. What is really tough is where a tenant stops paying rent. The process takes 6-9 months minimum to get back the property. As well while a LL has to give all details, PPS number etc there is no onus on a tenant to do likewise.

I bit of advice I would give to any person renting a house is insist on the PPS number of the tenant being registered. Insist on proof of the PPS number. That way any tenant misbehaviour is registered against that PPS number.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Very good point. Why does RTB not registering anything about the tenant. If the tenant misbehaving, why is that not recorded by RTB.

The landlord is paying the fees yet the RTB is taking the tenant side.

I know of two recent incidents where the tenant was absolutely in the wrong, they were harassing the landlord, yet RTB took their side even so landlord had plenty of evidence. 100% both of these tenants were professional, they did it before to other landlords.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

I'd wave at you every day from my nice warm house.

Not really relevant to this thread since there are no reports of tenant misbehaviour or lack of rent being paid.

What other business requires professionals to administer day to day paperwork. Just think about that.

It's not really "day-to-day paperwork" Bass. And it's a legal document. It wouldn't be unusual for reasonably sized businesses to have in-house legal departments for the likes of contracts etc. Smaller businesses might shoot it off to their solicitor to have a look over it. Have you never bought something and had your solicitor check it out first?

Small businesses will employ accountants to do their books. Even putting it back to something you would be familiar with, many lads would be going to their Teagac advisor to fill out their paperwork or grant applications for them. Do you do your own books, do you get an accountant to do them, or do you ring Revenue up and tell them to do them for you?

The issue here was that she didn't know how to issue the notice properly. If she had done her homework she likely would have been able to issue a valid one. I would imagine that if she had to do it again that she would be able to do it once she has seen a properly drafted one. It's not the RTB's job to do it for you.

The head of the RTB admitted before a dail committee that both tenants and LL find the present legislation virtually unworkable.

The RTB will hand feed a tenant through the process. If you are a LL and want to issue a termination notice they will give you absolutely no help.

It BS about not being able. Like I said it has got to the stage where very competent people have to get professional advice for day to day paperwork when dealing with the RTB. And then you have the problem contacting them. Is it standard for a regulatory body to be uncontactable by phone, to have stopped there online support and the only contact method is by email whereby you will not receive a reply for at least 3-4 weeks as a LL.

Slava Ukrainii

It would be very simple for the RTB to use some of the fees they collect to create an online template for notices of termination. Landlord enters the tenants details, period of time the tenant has been at the property and reason for termination. The RTB issue notice to the tenant just like they inform the tenant the tenancy has been registered with the RTB. It would standardize the notice of termination and reduce the ability of tenants to make a challenge. I've heard of termination letters being challenged for silly reasons in an attempt to reset the notice period.

RTB provide free training to landlords

The obvious thing there being that the have-a-go-landlords (as someone else called them earlier on thread) likely won't bother availing of it. Whereas those are the ones with no experience and likely to get the most benefit out of it

• Advertisement

I took part in one of those RTB training courses before and it was quite poor it left an awful lot still open to interpretation, at the end of the presentation they wouldn't answer any questions or clarify anything any further, they directed attendees to the website help section where it can take a number of months to get a response.

Its a bad state of affairs when the organization responsible for regulating and standardizing the rental market cant even process registrations.

Advertisement