Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 33 relegation6

We have water from the well so it's deep enough but it's blocked somewhere between the well and the house so not water in attic or in taps. Ah shure, we'll survive....

Only moved in a few weeks ago, will be more prepared for next cold snap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gurteen -7°c at 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Winterman1234

Watching them beefy looking showers dissolve passing over the bluestacks before reaching us here in South donegal. Saying that it's the most we have had from this spell, slight dusting here 300 metres from the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Still above freezing near Rathdrum Wicklow, hovering between 1 and 2 degrees. The ice melt from today hasn't frozen over at all. Mad how different it is just a few more km inland from the coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭4400kevin

Not looking forward to rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Down to -5.0c now in southern Laois. Hard to see -9c or -10c, but not impossible I guess. There's a light breeze out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Saw one early this morning. Roughly SW to NE trajectory.

New Moon

Hovering between only -2 & -3c here. Too much of a breeze I think to allow it to get much cooler than this in these parts. Beautiful night out though with that classic 80s frost smell in the air.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No; we are grand out here.. Hoping you get thawed soon!

West Mayo offshore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I’ve been lucky with snow showers tonight. Decent covering

Watched one when I was up in Orkney; not as cold then though as tonight..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

-7c in the south Midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Currently -6.8°c in south Laois on the Davis. It’s regularly dropping internet these past few days but data logger is fine thankfully.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

-8c at Atenry at 0500.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

It was -7 according to my gauge outside here in North Kildare at 5am.

Calm and crisp here. Back under the duvet I go.

A clear snowline.. West Mayo.

Intense biting cold. Some ancient Scandinavian mythologies depict hell as bitter icy cold.

Photograph is from yesterday...writing in the night hours of course. Had to put it on hold.

Post edited by Graces7 on

The minus 2c here feels as cold as the colder temps of recent mornings.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Currently-4 in my part of D24. Thick frost on everything. Beautiful looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭highdef

Your poetic posts are always welcome here however I have to say I'm happy that you live where you do. You say that the cold this morning is intense on your offshore island in the West. I'm not aware of any weather stations there that report conditions to the internet but looking at the nearby on-shore weather stations closest to you brings me some relief that you're in one of the "warmest" parts of the country. As of 07:00, Mace Head, not a million miles from you, is a balmy +1° with barely a breath of wind. Other coastal stations in Western and northern areas include Newport in Mayo which is also at 1° and Malin Head, the most northerly point in Ireland, the warmest right now at a positively "hot" 5°.

You could be in a much worse place at the moment with regards to "intense biting cold". Inland Galway, for example, is far far colder than you. A cold that you would rarely experience in an offshore island of Ireland, or Scotland, dare I say it. Athenry is currently at -7°. Some other stations in the interior of Ireland are approaching double digit negative temperatures, a cold that really is biting and intense if you're not wearing several layers of clothing.

Had it been a night that included a strong wind, I would feel your cold but thankfully there is little breeze. Even your former residence of Orkney rarely gets very cold but the windchill more than makes up for the lack of low actual temperatures there. As the author Hugh Marwick once said; "To adopt a Stevensonian phrase, the climate of Orkney is one of the vilest under heaven."

I'm currently living part time in a big old house close to the centre of the country. Bar open fires in a couple of rooms, a stove in one room and a superser whilst I wait for the stove to build heat (the superser gives out a wet heat and is never a basic heat source however it does melt the ice on the inside of the windows), there is currently no other source of heat. The sash windows need fixing and they only help to lend a hand to the cold air from the exterior to make its way inside. Water is collected from a water downpipe into a 1,000 litre container however that is currently a massive ice cube. Thankfully I don't stay there full time but be thankful that you live in one of the warmest parts off the country. And as I have learned in recent years (and that you know all too well), the key to keeping warm is layers, layers layers!

Wishing you a pleasant day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

-6 north east kikdare. Terrible cold lads. Great to look at all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Knock airport reporting -1°c and a light shower of snow at 8am.

Casement at -6°c at 8am.

Athenry, Markree Castle, Gurteen and Mt Dillion all reporting -7°c at 8am.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Athenry, Mount Dillon, Markree and Gurteen all reporting -7c at 0800.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

frozen Grand Canal near Crumlin 🥶

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Hontou

-5c in Co. Roscommon by Lough Ree. Having trouble getting out of the bed for the school run and work. Will be late.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm in coastal Dublin at the moment but unfortunately comms went down late last night with the Longford house so can't check the temperature and no access to the cameras. The house is located in that higher bit of land between Edgeworthstown and Longford town @100m ASL but close to a local low point as a small river flows past the edge of the townland. I'm slowly learning the microclimate of the area so if I was to hazard a guess, I'd say it's currently about -7°, give or take about 1 - 2°.

A couple of photos of the inside of one the windows in the longford house yesterday morning, apologies for them being not orientated correctly as I took the photos in portrait mode, forgetting that Boards demands landscape photos only.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Amazing temps. We won't forget this cold snap in a while.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Car reading -6.5C here near Tralee, water slow in the taps this morning, water bottle frozen in the car, roads not bad. Have to get a second work car de iced now !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Forescast saying its not to get sbove -1 today. Might not be a thaw.

Id prefer an easing into the higher temps rather than a sharp rise. Imagine going from -6 to +13 in 18-24 hours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement