Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭costin

There was an interesting comment here about best version of autopilot beein in 2018-2019 from a driving perspective. That is true in some regards. Fatalaties with Tesla cars lead to modifications in the algorithms in the latest years. This had a side effect on things that might have worked better in the past - this is driver perception not necesary the real deal. However MY is still the 3rd saftest car in Euroncap testing (was 1st till recent - Model S refreshed is no. 1 now) and still is no. 1 from driver saftey perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭podge1979

🤣 Buying in Elons marketing main reason is cost. Of course Elon would never change his mind. Would the following be classed as fake news then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Would a similarly priced big battery Ioniq5/EV6 or ID4/Enyaq do better than 336Km in similar conditions? EV-database seems to indicate they would for 23C mild weather. Obviously the 15C wouldn’t help but it would typical of a lot of daytime temperatures here.

True but those are a L2 capable system (but still bettered by Daimler and BWM to name a few). Camera only system will always have a requirement for driver to keep hands on the steering wheel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Advertisement

Sorry missed this one... Where did I say you can do lane assist without cameras. I'm saying a optimal ADAS solution uses several sensors including cameras. I'm all for cameras kid but a camera only system is not capable of achieving what is needed for an hands free autonomous system L3+. Look at the Tesla manual FSD still requires hands on the wheel and that won't change until they at least bring in radar too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,935 ✭✭✭✭josip

My question also. We were thinking of an Ioniq 5 LR until the MY RWD price drop. That we'd have needed a roof box on the Ioniq and hopefully wont on the MY, makes the decision more straightforward in our case.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@podge1979 - "a optimal ADAS solution uses several sensors including cameras"

There's your assumption again. Who says we need an optimal solution? We'll never get to an optimal solution (where an autonomously driving car would never kill anyone). Not in decades anyway. And we don't need to. A solution that is much safer than human drivers now and can be implemented within a decade is far preferable than some sort of utopian solution and it will save far more lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

@josip

Have a look at Bjorn's 1000km challenge results, he doesn't have the SR Model Y yet but time should be somewhere in between the old Model 3 SR+ and new Model 3 09:55-10:00 hours, same as the bigger battery Ioniq 5 or Kia EV6 AWD and the best of VAg is the Skoda Enyag 80 (from 63k).

These are also using nearly 50% more kWh to do the same distance, adds up in fast charging fees. Plus no dedicated charging network.

Link for Bjorn's results below, hopefully it works!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V6ucyFGKWuSQzvI8lMzvvWJHrBS82echMVJH37kwgjE/edit?usp=drivesdk

When I say optimal I mean a system which can in fact be a completely hands free system.

So yes if a driver assist system is what you want with human intervention expected L2 then yes that's fine.

Having a clause in the fine print covers car companies e.g Tesla

"The currently enabled Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. Full autonomy will be dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As Tesla’s Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving capabilities evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates"

This won't change and fairly apparent Tesla regs department agree with that as it seems Radar will be going back in. So in theory there will be a lot of Tesla's out there that will never be capable of actual FSD.

• Advertisement

Tesla software is still in beta. But as soon as Tesla release it, and they got regulatory approval (from NHTSA this is very likely) and Tesla will take legal responsibility, then it's L4/L5 immediately, depending on the type of responsibility. Not depending on the hardware currently in the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Tesla software is still in beta.

It's a great marketing term isn't it - beta. They can still charge handsomely for it, promise the sun moon & stars with it, disavow any issues with it & never deliver.

Beta.

It's a car. A combination of hardware & software. Tesla modus operandi - remove previously promoted hardware (radar/ultrasonic sensors etc.), reduce input costs, increase margin & just say "software - beta - coming soon........it will be better".

Ditto for the smaller (far cheaper) battery, less range.....yes, you guessed it - safer & better!

I hope this Berlin built, blade batteried Y isn't hugely devalued by the same car the following quarter, which may have high res radar &/or USS sensors fitted again!

One thing that isn't beta - the €60k cost of the lowliest Model Y (before taxpayer gift of €5,000!).

Ours is due Q1 next year too but I'm seriously thinking of keeping my Q2 '22 Model 3 now, which still has working radar plus USS & drives far better than our Q4 '22 Model 3, sans radar & with Tesla Vision/latest updates.

I'm actually looking at going a different route entirely now.

I hope you're not giving out about the tax payer gift of €5000 that you yourself have claimed many times in the last few years? 😂

Car is €53k on the road BTW

Yes, yes I am! I've benefitted well from it & in doing so, have saved numerous penguins. Maybe even a polar bear or two.

I'm sure other taxpayers, who aren't as fortunate as me, can see how they (& their kids/grandkids) have benefitted by their generous donation to allow me to go green.

The cheapest Model Y is indeed €53k but that's white. I had a white Model 3 & we've blue & MSM 3s so working ourselves through the entire colour palette. Not sure I fancy the red Model S Plaid though.

I’ve had silver, red and white.

My next will be white due to preference!

There's a lot to be said for white, in fairness. Easy to keep & hides blemishes well.

Black looks great but nightmarish to keep looking well & shows everything.

Red tends to fade, not that I keep cars long & can look well, depending.

The MSM is likely the best option, especially when "murdered out".

I fully understand the regs and have worked with NHTSA, what I'm saying is that without some redundancy in sensors camera Tesla won't get this approval. One of the reasons their rumoured to be adding radar.

To be honest I'll leave it a try this it's a typical Tesla thread here. Say something that is maybe not praising Tesla you get accused of saying other things and people simply refuse to take the point on board.

I understand what your saying my counter point is that getting that approval is highly unlikely and next to impossible using one suite of sensors (camera's).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Greasy Tool

Nice and safe behind the wheel maybe , not so much for cyclists and motorcyclists . Electric cars are a Green con . Probably why Eamonn Ryan drives a Volkswagen Diesel . I'll stick to my '95 Corolla Estate . Starts up and runs like a charm , even in the current cold snap .

I ordered MSM and chickened out and swapped back to white 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Haven't seen a white M3 or Y recently that wasn't dirty looking. I'm sure the owners are fastidious about keeping everything clean but even a short trip in this kind of weather with muddy road spray, slush, and organic debris everywhere means you've no chance keeping a white car looking decent for long. That turned me off the white a bit.

That said, saw the same blue MY around Sandyford/Dundrum a good bit recently, and while clean, it was just dull - no pop from the blue at all, to the point where it simply looked a muted non-metallic. 202-reg so maybe the paint code changed since?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I like the white ( and white cars in general) but opted for a blue Y as so many Tesla are white

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Yep

Mad lad, might be related to madlad on here.

Yes , that guy is good , I also like that German guy who is also extremely thorough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

I have a white Model 3 and generally looks good when a little dirty. However roads are in an atrocious state atm, all colours look filthy, with perhaps black looking the best now! On a recent trip to Belfast used nearly a full tank of windscreen washer on a 320km journey. At least the water didn't freeze, the heated lower wiper area seemed to help. Saw a number of cars having to stop on the dual carriageways in freezing fog to clear their windscreens. Not the safest thing with the reduced visibility.

Not sure if that's a dig at me, hope not so I'll ignore it. I'm no Tesla fanboi but I have followed the self driving developments with interest for years. We both agree this should not be in a Tesla thread but in its own thread really. And not specific to Tesla's efforts in autonomous driving, but in any car maker's.

Can you answer my genuine and rather philosophical question - and note that I am not going into specifics about hardware - why would NHTSA care what way technically an autonomous vehicle works if it can be proven with data that it kills or injures say 80% less than a human driver?

Because NTHSA look at safety side aspects of this are covered within functional safety and ASIL ratings which would indirectly fall into in some of the NTHSA standards and assessments.

Interestingly this sort of stuff is probably what NTHSA are looking into with the number of accidents with FSD at the moment. OEMs get around this with the hands on disclaimers (read the smart summon manual last night also full of disclaimers).

Elon talks about the '9's, getting to 99.999999% in relation to probability of no injury that up around L4 autonomy. You dealing with fine margins and corner cases there which require more sensors.

NTHSA can also be liable here, so they will look for certainty saying it the OEMs responsibility is not due diligence. Certifications for hands off wheel is massive and won't come easily they need to show a bit more that passing some tests and beta SW in the field.

Looking at that level of certainty likes of waymo are one of the leaders the technology will get smaller and more commercial but that redundancy is needed for certain environmental factors like for example nighttime and bad weather you won't get there with camera alone. Waymo solution probably overkill (no pun intended) ideal solution probably somewhere in the middle to be commercial.

https://blog.waymo.com/2020/03/introducing-5th-generation-waymo-driver.html?m=1

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭TMY

On a different note - the 19" Gemini wheel covers, how easy would it be to spray paint them black matt? Spray away or would you need to prepare the surface first?

The aftermarket covers look good but not having an extra set of covers knocking and saving a few hundred quid at the same time is appealing. I'll be going with the bare alloys and Tesla wheel cap set unless going on a long journey when I'll Pop the Geminis back on for range. What do you reckon?

I haven't seen a red, grey, blue or black car thats clean in this weather either :)

• Advertisement

Get them done by a wheel refurb place maybe?

There's a few videos on YT where people plasti dipped them. I'm not a fan of that.

Advertisement