Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doorbell malfunctions

Options
  • 14-12-2022 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭

I have a regular wired house bell. Upon pressing, it would only make a buzz and then stop. There would be no continuous buzz when the button is pressed. I replaced it last night with a new version and spotted a lot of wiring/connectors was highly corroded. But it still doesn't work. When I was installing the new wiring of this new model, sometimes the wires would be inserted into place but there would not be screwed down and it would actually work as desired. Any tips on what is wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Did you also replace the button? That's where the corrosion on the wires is, right? Was the old door-bell powered using a transformer in the consumer unit, or did it take batteries? And what about the new one, how is that powered?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Usually 3 part to a traditional mains powered bell , the push button ,the chime or bell and the transformer, ie the bit that is connected to the mains.

So could be any of these , the transformer is often in the ceiling screwed to the joists..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

They are both wired doorbells. Only the button was replaced, which is where the corrosions was. I presume there is a transformer but I don't know for sure and I wouldn't know where to look. I would not have much electrical knowledge. Thanks so much for the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Good to know. Appreciated it. Given that it makes sound but disappointingly brief sound, does it sound like it is one in particular of the three to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I don't really know .. but if you can get hold of a multi-meter you should be able to test the electricity going to components,

I assume that there'll be something written on the back of the bell ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Bell pushes give the most trouble

Mechanical devices are always problematic in electrical work

Advertisement