Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Longing

Bad night sleep going through posts and said to myself. What are you doing up at 5am in North Korea.

Anyways on to the next post to see can i read that one right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

If you don't enjoy cold, then a sudden rise in temps would be a good thing. It is why we like to run indoors when it is cold outside. -4c to 18c + in seconds feels good.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It has mildened greatly since I started my last post around 2 am. Positively balmy. but then washing I had left out had frozen rigid as had the water buckets.

It was intensely bitterly cold. Ice in the lungs. Hands too cold to move.

Shed my mittens just now for the first time for days. Bliss

A few hours later it has eased and now the washing is limp - and the snowline on the mountains has fallen almost to sea level after being very clear nearer the summits.

It changes so fast here. Positively balmy now! After a fiercely bitter night.

Blurry but visible snow down to ocean level for the first time this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The sun rises over the Castlecomer Plateau as viewed from Durrow in South Laois where we got an air minimum temperature of -7.7c last night. The grass minimum temperature hit an even -10.0c. A penetrating cold. Only up to near -5c now.

Curious goings on with the temp profile around these here parts last night. At the nearest Met Eireann 'WoW' station, it got down to -7.5c; at another Davis station here in town it got down to -6.0c, Here, my Davis (which stands at a height of 12ft) recorded a min of only -4.3c, yet my La Cross sensor at 1.5m recorded a low of -5.4c and still showing -3.4c now while the Davis is -1.9c. I can only conclude from this that the cold air here is very, very shallow based.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Indeed, cold air pools and like water in a sense it flows to the lowest levels. I looked around Laois County weather stations to see how the cold pooled and the following figures came back: Ballybrittas got down to -6.4c, the county town Portlaoise -7.0c, Nealstown (Slieve Bloom Mountains) -1.9c, Abbeyleix -7.1c, Mountmellick (The Rock) -4.3c, Stradbally -5.6c.

We're at the top end of the Nore river valley that carves it's way through the hills of Kilkenny en route to the Barrow river above New Ross. Nealstown which is AFAIK around 235m in the foothills of the mountains shows that the air above is indeed less cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Normal service resumed.

High pressure in all the wrong places and we’re stuck in no mans land nothingness. .... and it appears the cold is heading for Greece.

Didn’t see that coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

Supposed to reach 13° Monday. Some change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

A pal I work with has a week booked there over the Christmas. Talk about unlucky.

This was good while it lasted but it's probably been long enough. I'll be having beans on toast for Christmas dinner than to the heating bills !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

@Danno Was wondering about Nealstown which is only about 8Km from me and about 100m higher.

-5.1 here just before 0800 up to -2.7 now

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

Indeed, if you could see cold air, it'd flow like water to seek out the lowest point. The odd thing here though is that both the other stations I mentioned are all within about 2 miles of me and all more or less on the same altitude (just under 40m) and no great hilly areas around. The Met Wow station is just a little outside of town so nearly always naturally cooler, but maybe the other Davis station in town was more sheltered from that light but constant breeze last night, which would have allowed for the air to settle and cool just that bit more than in my spot. I can only guess at this point.

New Moon

Any of the colder stations sitting on sandier soil? Following the recent wet autumn, sandier soils generally being drier will loose heat quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The sun is coming up for another bluebird day in Galway. I haven't seen so many blue skies in winter for years.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It was only - 1 at my place, though it hit - 5 at 1am.

I see ballyduff and up to North kerry/ Limerick was - 8

I don't think so Danno. The whole town and surrounding area is located on reclaimed bog/marsh land, but I'm no expert on soil types at all.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Glorious balmy morning; after a bitter night. Very welcome indeed. I can hear the frozen roof dripping water! Ocean like glass

Long may it last..

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭boardlady

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Had to really tug to get the car doors open today in Sallins

Freezing out there ! Currently -3

Did anywhere actually hit the -11 that was being hammered home by Met Eireann and the media?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Yep I experienced this first hand over the past week. I'm in a valley about 100m-150m lower than all of the surrounding areas. Sunday night it was -3 at the upper levels and the area around my house dipped to around -8, froze the well pump and water in the shed. We had no thaw on the roads here either but the upper roads are perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

is sunday still on track to be mild? Trip from dublin to cork planned.

Thanks,

Mick

Yes. It's to starting heating up from Saturday. Sunday to be a spring day by all accounts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The cold will be whisked away by Saturday evening and a few very mild days and nights to come but the cold could be back by Wednesday with temperatures back into low single digits.

A chance today could be the 3rd and final ice day of the current cold spell in places. Currently -2C here in Meath.

I'd guess that 13c would be forecast for coastal margins like Sherkin Island and perhaps Valentia too.

The bulk of the country will probably be 10c to 12c tops but cooler in inland Ulster as the milder air doesn't get as dug in to areas above 54.5N to 55N. Scotland is expected to get a serious dump of snow from this - possibly 36hrs of heavy snow there! 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I never seen ME say balmy before

Sunday: The rain, preceded by some sleet, with snow on higher ground, will turn heavy at times as it pushes up across the country on Sunday morning. This will be followed by scattered showers from the south through the afternoon. While it will become milder everywhere, afternoon highs will range from 4 to 8 degrees in the north to 10 to 13 degrees further south as moderate to fresh southeasterly winds veer southerly and temperatures continue to rise in northern parts through the evening.

Sunday night: Remaining mild with showery outbreaks of rain on Sunday night while lowest temperatures will hold at a balmy 8 to 12 degrees in moderate to fresh southerly breezes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

“Hammered home”

Jesus Christ, give it a rest man

Kilcogy ACS, Cavan County got -9.1c

Tulla ACS, Clare County got -8.9c as too did Millstreet ACS in Cork County.

They're the coldest I could find from a quick skirt around WOW.met.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

There is so much frost on the grass here now that it looks like snow. Galway. Superb scenes.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

10-13 degrees of wet, windy, $hite. You're bat $hit crazy imo to be wanting that over the current weather.

If it was 13 degrees, bright and dry id say fair enough. But to each their own I guess, takes all sorts to populate this blue space ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Slight thaw of the snow that fell last night. Was very hit and miss looks like most areas missed the showers completely

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement