Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Did anyone point out to him that Leinster have the same 6 day turnaround? Or is there any point.

I think in general Jim Hamilton talks a lot of shite, and don't really understand why he has the platform he has.

This "fair playing field" nonsense can be expected to run and run now from the English in particular. I don't understand the logic; the URC is arguably more competitive now than the Premiership. Connacht's second string comfortably beat Newcastle last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

We'll probably score 50 against Gloucester but won't learn or gain anything from it, apart from it helping us get the top seeding.

With the new format, the competition really doesn't start until the knockout stages. That's why I'm not getting giddy about pool stage wins. Because there's very little at stake. You can win just one game and still qualify.

Gloucester are absolutely right to send a B-team over. They have 5 points in the bag after one game, so are very likely to qualify regardless of tomorrow's result. And this is by far their least important game out of their next four. They have three huge Premiership games coming up over the Christmas period. They'd be mad not to rest players for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It's Leinster. Therefore there is no such thing as a fair game in their mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,651 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That tweet is beyond ridiculous. However this group stage is too. I don't think I could confidently explain the system off hand to a casual rugby follower, and that is a serious issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

In general the English attitude does be doing well it’s because of the tough league, doing badly it’s because of the tough league.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,651 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I particularly enjoyed the years of them claiming they were doing badly because their league had relegation. Apparently we were supposed to believe their top 6 from the prior year were absolutely terrified of picking up less than the 2 wins a season London Irish & Worcester were getting in rotation and thus couldn't take Europe seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Hamilton is just sore that Odo seems to have rejected Leicester.

The Champions cup isn't responsible for the premiership being a borderline shambles - the RFU and the premiership need to get their houses in order.

England have a huge playing population and good interest in both codes. Complaining that other sides are showing up your inadequate governance is cheap and unproductive and wont result in improvement.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

are Glouster right.. 100%

is the problem the format.. 100%

has it been devalued consistently by the whinging of the english teams .. 100%

while the 6 x 4 pool stage wasnt perfect (mainly due to the presence of an Italian whipping boy) it was a hell of a lot better than the current format.

Now that the competition is made up on meritocracy from the leagues, it actually suits going back to the 6 x 4 better again.

right now we have teams who will throw games when they lose their first two, and will also throw games when they win their first one... you couldnt actually come up with a format which is less engaging, more complicated, less meritocratic and which gives more pointless fixtures than this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

If they wanted to devalue the pool stages to have a better knockout stage, the solution here is pretty obvious is it not?

Why not make it straight knockout from day one and scrap the pool stages entirely? They've made the pool stages an utter pisstake and the games don't have any real consequences currently, so why not do away with them all together and make it a knockout competition like the FA Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Why would any side chuck it in after 1 match? Especially after winning that match. To me, the European Cup appears to be secondary to some teams. Its mad!

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The IRFU would never vote for this cause the URC is not a strong enough product to make up for the lost european games in terms of finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

English clubs have been sending weakened teams to RDS and Thomond since long before the new format.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The point is that because of the format , they aren't "chucking it in" - They have 5 points already which is probably almost enough to get them to the next stage by itself.

It's very poor form, imo. Send out a weak team in a European match. Surely they must not be throwing in the towel as far as the champions cup is concerned.

The return fixture next month should be a big draw for them. They will field a strong side for that match. I think all teams would like to win in Europe. Apparently, there's some that don't.

That speaks volumes about the set up. I feel for the fans that pay to go see this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yup, last year 8 and 7 points respectively was enough to get out of the groups. So with 5 on the board now, why expect to get anything in away against the "Irish Giants" Leinster? Much easier to target the home match against Leinster, and the away game against Bordeaux (who they have already beaten).

It's a significant flaw in the sh!te format. Which ironically the apologists claim was brought in to reduce dead rubber matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

He's made a tit of himself there tbh. He's defending Gloucester throwing this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

The more they change the format the more it will be devalued. That's a truth that has happened in Super Rugby.

Tried and trust system of 24 teams in 6 Groups. It's not that hard!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

when there was no chance of them going through from the pool, yes absolutely... now they dont even have to turn up just because they win one game (or lose one game, take your pick)

give me back the competition where Northampton came to thomond in 2011 and it needed a last gasp ROG drop goal to beat them.

or the competition where wasps came to the RDS in 2014 and leinster needed to come from 11-20 behind to hang on for a 5 point win... or the following year where they trounched us in the RDS by 27 points.

even the last 2 times leinster put 50 points on their english counterparts (wasps 2018, bath 2011) it wasnt weakened sides that were sent over

Post edited by sydthebeat on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭hold my beer

It's not that difficult. But it is a terrible format

On hindsight, I actually think this is a face-saving exercise of sorts for Gloucester. The likelihood was that Leinster would have crushed even their strongest side if they sent it over tomorrow, so now at least they can spare their first teamers a morale crushing defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Good interview with Ala'alatoa today.

Good article. He's been a good player for us. I hope he can be kept for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Leinster could repeat the score v Montpellier looking at that Glaws team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭ersatz

Just had a chance to watch the Racing game. Leinster really motoring but Racing had one of those days where everything went wrong, 2 yellows, a handling error every few minutes, brainless penalties destroying any territorial momentum they built, etc. In the first half they did manage to destroy a couple of Leinster rucks and steal ball which is one of those things that Leinster have paid a big price for in the past. But overall Leinster look like a team that is playing with a lot of confidence and has quite a bit more in the tank. James Lowe is a fantastic winger but he'd also be a world class 6 or 7. Tough b*stard. They'll go a long way again this year. One peeve, lots of people have pointed out that Leinster had a perfect lineout record in this match, but Wade's try came directly from a quick throw resulting from a Leinster lineout win being pushed into touch. I wouldn't count that as a successful lineout!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I hope he stays on for a few more seasons. He's a quality player.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Yes, BOD seems to have been the first person to do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Advertisement