Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

teenagers no lights

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Apologies to EviePie, MB had not warned everyone to drop Hi Vis. This is a warning to everyone. If you want to mention Hi Vis, go to the megathread, have a read of it first in case you want different opinions. This thread will only refer to lights and teenagers being teenagers.

Any issues please drop me a PM

Post edited by CramCycle on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Of course it matters how luminescent they are, you completely contradict yourself in the second paragraph 🤔🤔. I don't drive around with my lights off at night, I'd like cyclists to return the favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The vast majority of teenagers don't drive so they are unaware of how difficult it can be to see them.

(In my experience, it's the same for adult cyclists who don't drive - they tend to have no lights or very poor lights).

Not just teens. We live near an industrial park, at about half 7 in the morning I see maybe up to a dozen adults cycling across junctions in dark clothing, no lights. Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Stay Free

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There were at least a few cars as well 😂

As previously mentioned, the issues with no lights stem from the wrong types of bikes being sold in this country. It's like selling cars without mudflaps and lights.

Is this like a new version of pink unicornism? We can't see those mystical invisible cyclsts and pedestrians, but we have faith in the belief that they exist.

Reminds me of a conversation I had at a dinner table not too long ago. We were discussing a friend of mine who had been hit by a car while cycling in the hard shoulder in daylight. One of the people atthe table started saying that, she knew it wasn't his fault, but you know the way cyclists come out of nowhere, sometimes. I pointed out that for the 80 or so miles I'd cycled the previous week, I was always somewhere. I've yet to master the trick of appearing randomly on a road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I see quite a few people on e-bikes/Scooters who have a really, really bright front light, bit no rear light! I see them because they are coming towards me. I have sympathy for the motorists who come across these muppets from behind.

I also saw a guy walking along the Naul road with his back to oncoming traffic. No lights, bright clothing etc.

finally, it was amazing that I saw them at all...when I arrived at work I realized the front lights on my car were off! (I had Front Fog lights and DRL's and i assumed my lights were bad due to frost/ice on the lens)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mud flaps? I've never bought a car that had mud flaps fitted. And if I had, they'd be coming off straight away. Bit like wearing wellington boots with a suit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Whatboutery alert. But I've lost count of the amount of drivers I've had to tell to put on their lights the last few weeks.

End of the day, some people are just morons. It's not just folks on bikes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

worth mentioning, there have been a few visitors to this thread who are not familiar with the cycling forum; the vast majority of posters in the cycling forum are fond of their lights. there's multiple threads about what the best lights are for various situations. most posters here are big fans of lights, but are wary about lights (and other factors which belong in The Other Thread) being offered as primary factors in cyclist safety.

in short, when cyclists talk about things which can affect their safety, they tend to talk about woeful road design, lack of enforcement of road traffic law etc.; when non-cyclists talk about cyclist safety, they tend to talk about things more obvious to a non-cyclist.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I cycled through Dublin city centre a week ago in the dark and was surprised at the number of people on bikes with no rear light. I also saw the gardai pulling over a deliveroo rider who had no rear light. I recall waiting at the lights on the south quays at O'Connell bridge and thinking that I was one of a few on bikes who had rear lights (or front lights).

That said, I don't think that I didn't see any of them. I also believe that the drivers travelling along the quays at the same time as me also saw them all given the vast majority were in excess of the speed limit and many were also preoccupied with their phone.

The main reason why there are people amongst all categories of road users who break rules is the lack of enforcement. The gardai pulling over the deliveroo lad was the first time I've ever seen that in a long time. No speed vans, no stopping drivers on their phones. Why would one stick to the rules when so many others couldn't be arsed?

In addition, the legislation on bike lights needs to come out of the sixties and be more specific. We need to specify minimum lumens for rear lights - too many people have lights that meet the mandatory size but have poor intensity from a reasonable distance. Maybe then the RSA and Gardai will stop giving out those crap yokes that give out less light as a toy from a Christmas cracker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we see a lot of deliveroo cyclists where we live; the guys with both front and rear lights are probably in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There's legal responsibility and personal responsibility.

As a driver you are legally responsible for not crashing into people and cyclists, whether they are lit up or not. That was the first part of my post.

The second part of my post is personal responsibility, cycling without lights at night is a really stupid, reckless thing to do. It doesn't, however, legally absolve you of anything if you crash into someone not lit up, so the ultimate responsibility still lies with you, the driver.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It doesn't absolve the driver but it will play a large part in mitigation during sentencing. To be honest, any cyclist without half decent lights on them is a fool in this day and age. Halfords do half decent ones for next to nothing. As a driver, I have never had an issue seeing someone at night, I certainly don't see them until they are really close if they don't have lights on but I still see them in time. If they have lights though, I can see them from nearly 1km away or further if line of sight allows.

Aside from the legal side of things where the cyclist is in the wrong for no lights at night, the other thing is, law aside, people drive like sh1te in Ireland, and if someone hits me because they were not paying attention and I had no lights, I have to accept that if i had decent lights, it would have greatly increased my chances of not getting hit. It doesn't reduce it to zero, as if they aren't looking, they won't see you but it will reduce the chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭boardlady

I agree with you completely. And I agree with the op that there are loads of unlit teens cycling around in the past few weeks.

But I also have to say that my kid is a teen now and all those lovely 'rules' I had when he was younger - like the helmet and the hi-vis - are more easily abandoned by him now. More often that not, he leaves the house without even a jacket on, never mind any form of cycling protection. I don't say this lightly, it terrifies me, but unfortunately our 'control' of them eeks away as they become teens.

As for the adults without lights etc, the mind boggles. I often think people don't consider things from other points of view. I'm a big walker, and I have one neighbour at least who I am convinced will kill me some day. He flies past me, gravel whizzing, waving gleefully. He never walks anywhere so has no idea of how fast he is passing me on country roads with no footpaths. Equally, cyclists who don't drive (most teens) haven't a clue just how invisible they are to traffic. Drivers, who don't cycle, are guilty of not considering the cyclists too perhaps ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

E-scooters

Bane of my life. Often no lights, kids wearing black puffer coats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

There is an obvious need for a 21st century lighting regulation which reflect the availability of LED lights etc. Then these need to be enforced rigorously, in this age of rechargeable batteries and led lights it is much easier to maintain lights than in times past. Regulations on the standardisation of mounts would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Or your relatives would do so on your behalf .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,653 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

So you've seen them, and a large amount evidently. I too have no problem spotting cyclists in urban areas with street lights and slow speed limits even if they don't have bright clothing or lights. I've never knocked one down or almost knocked one down.

Maybe we're both excellent drivers, maybe we stick to the speed limit, maybe we're not distracted drivers... What ever it is, we should keep doing what we're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is there any chance we could get schools to teach 17 year olds about how Daylight Running Lights work? And to teach them how to change brake lights and head lights? This would mean that I won't see multiple drivers on every journey with no back lights at all in darkness, and with no lights on one or other side at the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭CoBo55

They'll need to start in Templemore first, the amount of guards driving in their Hyundai's on DRL's only is absolutely shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Drove past 2 cyclists in the dark last night at 10 pm or even later. No lights, no visibility aids. Nothing.

One was even cycling through the main road on a hospital grounds. So, at least they'd be close to a and e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

You'd have to start a lot younger than that if we were to put yet another parental responsibility onto Teachers. Most of the teenagers going around in dark clothes, on e-bikes with no lights on are the ones who won't be in school by the time they are 17. Their parents should be insisting on lights and a helmet long before they are teens. This behaviour might then stick if and when they progress onto driving a car.

Motorists and Cyclists should both be penalised if they are not using lights properly. However, the cyclist is the one who will come out the worse if a motorist fails to see them. There are plenty of motorists who fail to maintain or at times, turn on their lights. There are however a greater number of cyclists without lights on their bike. I don't excuse motorists who don't use their lights properly, but who needs to be seen if it were one or the other?

Stay Free

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Most of the teenagers going around in dark clothes, on e-bikes with no lights on are the ones who won't be in school by the time they are 17.

Eh, hate to break it to you but the students of some of the most expensive schools in the country are at the same carry on. At least in my neck of the woods. Educational attainment is no indicator of cop-on on the roads.

@...Ghost...

There are however a greater number of cyclists without lights on their bike. I don't excuse motorists who don't use their lights properly

I presume you have some statistics to back up that claim

I'm confused by this - how do exactly do you know that you drove past two of them last night?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Seriously? I suppose nobody should bother with lights in that case.

• Advertisement

Yup, I'm serious. Whilst I personally think one would be stupid to cycle without lights (I have two rear lights normally), I dislike it when people come out of the woodwork simply to tell us how they saw cyclists who couldn't be seen.

Advertisement