Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

No. I'm living in Wexford and a member of a club down here. I just put down my hometown club in Waterford for the season ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭sportsmaddad

I see the Saturday slot gone off TG4 schedule now. They must have been holding out hope for a late change too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭deisedude

Hey lads, looking at buying a season ticket this year. Do you need to attend all league games and championship bar 1 to qualify for an AI final if Waterford were to get there or is it just all championship games bar 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

League attendance not counted anymore

You can opt out of only '1 Championship game' and qualify for an All Ireland Ticket (if we get there)

The Munster Championship games vs Limerick (H) and vs Cork (A) are included. Round 3 Vs Clare (H) will be the first match were charged for (normally appears a few weeks beforehand)

All E Tickets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭seananigans

Things on the up

Was floodlights ever discussed for Walsh Park in the redevelopment ??

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Isn't the same for non sporting events ??

Be some €€€ maker for the county board too get a few concerts up there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭decies

That ship has well sailed if you wanted the half decent acts you wouldn’t be redeveloping Walsh park . I know I know nobody wants to left with a pile of debt but for once I just wish Waterford would have a game changing Project instead of just an upgrade on terrible facilities.

• Advertisement

Maybe if we get the holy grail in the next 2 years. Really all hopes are on that timeline

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Article in the independent today where Eoin Kelly (Tipp) talks about Patrick Fitzgerald. Doesn't seem to be any doubt that he's going to be called up for next season and that they think he can feature.

I hope I'm wrong but I would feel it's a year too soon. He seems to have gotten quite a bit stronger physically in a short space of time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Well Eoin Kelly is the right man to prepare him. Although it's 21 years ago, Kelly had to learn quick to cope with the physical demands of intercounty hurling which at that were the ability to take hits & look after yourself, rather than have the muscle, speed & physique, yet even in 2022/23, as an 18/19 year old, no doubt being able to take hits & look after yourself is still important & Fitzgerald seems to be learning quick as he has been improving his performances all season.

Kelly was even more hyped back in 2001 than Fitzgerald having been a 3 year minor, played intercounty senior as a minor (named as sub goalie & brought on outfield in an All-Ireland 1/4 final against Galway in 2000), been a star at St Kierans & at club level yet he dealt with it to win an All-Ireland in his first year & an All-Star & had a fantastic career who seemed to break Waterford hearts every time he played against them!

If Fitzgerald has half the impact Kelly had over the next 10 years, it's a success for Waterford & I'm glad Kelly is in the camp to guide him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZvhCKR7_mY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

sooner they sell Fraher Field the better. absolute kip to be pumping money into.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

Tell me you’re from the east of the county without telling me you’re from the east of the county 😂

name any other county that maintains 2 stadia, pure madness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Cork & Kerry. Galway usually play 1 football league game a year in Tuam, few of Ulster counties move league football games around too Donegal, Derry & Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Derek McGrath talking beans again. The guys is shockingly bad. As a pundit he's normally wrong. He backed against Limerick in 3 out of their 4 all ireland wins. Yet here he is again , same old broken record.

The Flood lights for Waksh Park. I thought it would be a given. It's 2022. Both Thomond Park and The Gaelic Grounds have floodlights in residential areas. It's no big deal , the lights are very focused. It's insane that residents would block that

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Most people from the East will acknowledge WP is an even bigger dive

Problem with co boards and this is a problem across the GAA is the personnel running them. Dinosaurs stuck in a time warp who lack innovation or foresight to ever drive our games forward for the right reasons. It’s shocking there isn’t more young people involved in GAA administration or if they do why they don’t stick at it, othere is a brilliant generation of educated young people in this country but they have more sense to go and look after themselves than get involved in this racket, happy to play the games and drift away once their finished. but we are crying out for a culture shift at adminstration level in GAA, there is huge potential in our county for example but we are still stuck in the 1980s with those 2 sheds of stadiums, 2 divisional boards as stubborn as each other and lack of proper development planning for underage in the county

oh sorry I forgot about ‘Waterford Rising’ that was going to change everything haven’t heard it mentioned since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

I'd fancy Ballygunner by five tomorrow..Shane Sullivan on the radio saying he loves the challenge of the best players. Roaring in Tony Kelly's face when winning a free after getting his arse handed to him..

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Tomorrow's game isn't listed on my TV's TV Guide TG4 schedule, so I can't set it for recording. It only lists the St Thomas's v Dunloy game followed by the GAA highlights of the year. The schedule in the Irish Times Weekend Magazine says the same, although according to the paper's sports page, it is being shown in TG4. Has anyone else got this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

My TG4 schedule has two slots, one per game. I'll be recording it so but will be in Croke Park to see it live. Should be a cracking match.

I also hope to catch the start and finish of the World Cup on a screen in one of the bars in Croker.

Hope the St Thomas's game doesn't go into extra time

Would be another thing that feck up the timings

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Certainly don’t disagree on a lot of your points but just on the Waterford Rising part - it’s literally mentioned at every county board meeting. The Win a House Draw for example is a big fundraising effort that has been undertaken by a group that was formed as a result of the Waterford Rising document. I would also say that work has started on changing things up at underage level. As well as Joxer going in with the minors you have other management teams being shaken up a little within Déise Óg.

Getting more GDO’s should be a priority too. The current ones are stretched thin & some you could argue aren’t up to scratch at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Best of luck to Ballygunner today, would be some achievement for them to do a number on Ballyhale again. Hopefully they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

I've always wondered about the impact of the recession 10 years ago on demographics in Waterford. Waterford as a county had upwards of 15% unemployment rate circa 2011 and did not have a knowledge based economy to keep young professionals in the county. Allied with small county population and one of it's largest population centres in Tramore having very little interest per capita in hurling and you have a very shallow pool of potential administrators. Anecdotally everyone I know of who's mad passionate about Waterford hurling and could actually do a job in such a role; doesn't live in Waterford anymore.

There was an article about 2015 that compared Galway to Waterford over the previous 30 years. 30 years ago both towns were equal all things considered but Galway had an explosion of investment over the following 30 years. What the authors theory was that this coincided with the founding of Macnas and the creation of a vibrant culturaly scene in Galway. This made the city more attractive to live in and was a main reason in attracting all the biomedical device companies. In comparison Waterford has had a chequered reputation outside of the county as long as I've been alive. Things are looking brighter though; people are finally finding out that Waterford has great beaches, the Comeraghs, comparatively good weather and great transport links. You'd hope that this would lead to more investment, and more professional jobs to keep people in Waterford and subsequently increase our pool and quality of adminstrators at county and club level.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

Best of luck to Ballygunner today. Really looking forward to seeing how Fitzgerald goes today. As close to an intercounty team today and more on the line than any league game; if he plays well he's good enough to start next year. Full forward line of dessie, Fitzgerald and Kiely as the big target man leaving Aussie to roam could be brilliant.

a rising tide lifts all boats, the summer sessions and winterval etc, does allow waterford to remain in public conciousness, it's to find a hub employer such as banking in KK or PHarma in galway is the next trick

• Advertisement

Best of luck to Ballygunner today

Dunloy not going by the script

Advertisement