Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This has been the coldest spell of weather since 2010 (the BFTE/Storm Emma would have been colder than this spell if it was a few weeks earlier in February). However this spell may get forgotten about in time due to the lack of snow and disruption. 2010 was a whole different ball game with temperatures into negative mid teens and more snow than we knew what to do with an enormous disruption. The constant radar watching for almost an entire month watching snow trains pile in and then the frustration of being under the IOM shadow for 24 hour periods was all part of fun which made 2010 so special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Indeed. In 2010 the heating was left on almost continuously. People were effectively kicking into survival mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

This.

The frost and ice get kind of boring after a while without any snowfall. Typical really.

It's going to be strange for a while getting into the warmer temps of +10 but with a breeze that will skin a cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I might like the cold but I don't like it that much!

Canal Frozen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭mcburns07

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The Wicklow Alps from Bray Head this morning.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Saturday through Wednesday to be considerably warmer than the last 6 days. Even though temps are to get lower again no sign yet that they will go below zero (freezing) for the rest of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Just got my shoe ice spikes...no ice. Told you!

I'm going hunting to try them out later.

Edit: really slippy on dry concrete. Great on compacted ice.

Post edited by gameoverdude on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I'm referring to the bit about 10c+, it'll be 10 degrees or higher Sunday and Monday and that's it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Looks like I'm going to have an ice day - wasn't expecting that. Max -0.8

There was a fog hanging around until around 1 pm

(Roscrea)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Hi minister for hardship, maybe he's on about me ? Anyway, it's the first real thaw of frost here in North Meath for the last few days. The Christmas charts look a bit undivided yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It was not; heating I mean. And we coped well. I was up in the Bluestacks and my landlord realised I was not using the electric heaters much so he bought in a gas heater. And a coal /wood fire. We were raised to heat the room we were in/that we used, moved the beds if need be. And no heating at night. Same as now for me. Far from survival mode then or now. Just adjusting... There were some great discussions here about how to keep warm ...

This is the issue with willy nilly warnings. It's cold FFS. Wrap the kids up and let them on with it.

I've not heard of anything being cancelled. Matches where pitches are frozen are the obvious one which is fair enough.

Some of the "Extreme" weather fanboys on here would love us all to be under the bed and for this to continue indefinitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Thankfully it doesn't appear to be.

Footfall seems to be down in shops and pubs etc. as people stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

Icy cold canal line near Tullamore.

Temp high today 0.5c

Current temp -1c and falling sharply.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

MOD NOTE: Gusser09 ,Certainly all entitled to own opinions but you are being confrontational and arguementative ,do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Still very frosty and icy out here in Dublin 15. Remnants of the snow showers from a week ago still unmelted in areas that were shaded from the sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Mooro

Lough Boora on Co Offaly. I will miss this cold snap when it’s gone 😀

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that looks more like North America or Canada to me! One of the best parts of this cold spell is definitely the fantastic photos right across the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I think as a whole, this winter will be cold and windy, since fuel prices have skyrocketed its purposely gonna be bitter, €1.40 for a litre of kero back in 2018 it was 55c a litre and 2010 was nearer a euro a litre i think

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭The Minister for Hardship

We've seen more cold and wintry weather in a week than we have in many winters.

2010-11 was essentially a one month winter, December 2010, what a month. However, winter 2009-10 is often forgotten. Cold from mid December until 12/13 January. Snow for many late February. -7C in the first week of March. Snow again 30/31 March for many.

We're at the mid point of December. Even if mild until the end of the month we have January and February to come. Months when epic winters like 1963 and 47 only got going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Turning more unsettled tomorrow

Showers will turn heavier and more widespread through the afternoon and evening, with the chance of small hail or isolated lightning near northwest coasts. Showers will mainly be of rain, turning more wintry in the evening with some snowfalls possible in Ulster. Afternoon temperatures of 0 to +4 degrees, a little milder along the coast. Light or moderate southwest winds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭lolie

Bit more noticeable thaw in the sun today with shaded areas still frozen solid. Starting to freeze hard again but not as hard as the past two days.

Pictures of a field about a mile away that floods every winter and in weather like this it freezes solid, a mini ice rink. A group of us hoping to get up to it before the thaw sets in.

Pic taken Tuesday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just hope you don't hear anything like this at those windows at night 😨

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

You can just tell by the look af that pinky orange sky that it's going to be another cold one. This spell and look of the weather reminds me very much of late December 2009 and that was every bit as cold, if not colder, than it is now

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That is why they have us to look out for them... The robin here follows me as soon as I emerge. He knows he will get fed etc.

Bitter out there and my supplies are just in. The roads are so bad over that they were hard-pressed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

What would be a good food to leave out for the birds? I'm thinking a bowl of warm water too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭minibear

I love cold weather, as long as I don't need to drive on icy roads. Unfortunately I've had to because I've a child in primary school 5 miles away. Living on a hill makes the commute fun. No grit on our rural roads and some drivers treat it like just an ordinary day. Thankfully most drivers have a bit of cop on and a driving carefully.

The best thing about this cold spell is I've discovered the joys of no more needing to de ice the car windows. I throw a cheap car cover over it before it gets dark and it's perfect in the morning. I don't know why it's taken me so long to discover this. 😏

Anyway I'm now looking forward to the rain. I've loads of things to do before Christmas and have been putting them off too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Depends on the birds, we leave out the fat from any roast dinners. Seagulls are nuisance and the fat attracts all sorts.

Alternatively peas and seeds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement