Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing crisis and State's failure to provide courses/qualifications for apprentices

Options
  • 14-12-2022 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

A young relative of mine is supposed to be starting his third year as an apprentice electrician next month. I encouraged him to get a trade/qualification as he was in a dead-end job so I'm very proud of him for wanting to better himself. At any rate, accordingly he was supposed to be going into his third year in college, something which he needs to do before he can qualify. However, there was no course last year, his second year, because of a shortage of trainers/teachers and he has just been informed there will be no course starting in January in Baldoyle for the same reason - a shortage of teachers/trainers/instructors. So, he'll now be two years behind with his qualification. He will also be working for less money during his apprenticeship because he hasn't got those two years of college under his belt (payment rises upon completion of each year). He's on crap pay, and sharing rent with a slew of people in Dublin and then there's this on top of it at a time when builders and developers are creaming it.

The government talks about the shortage of skilled tradespeople - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/harris-says-there-is-significant-shortage-of-skilled-tradespeople-1.4664485 - and how we'll have to issue special visas to get the skilled people into Ireland. And then there is this absolute hames of a situation where Irish people cannot get their qualification in much-needed trades because the Irish State will not provide the teachers/trainers. Has the government just given up on a whole slew of young, poor people who want to better themselves and contribute to Irish society? And is anybody in the Opposition even aware of this issue with apprentices? There is so much bullshít coming from politicians and wafflers in the media, and then you hear these little bits of reality about how government policy is doing the direct opposite on the very same subject, the housing crisis.

Spare us the crocodile tears about young people going to Australia and America when this is the way people who are willing and ready to work are being treated. 'Ireland is the sow that eats its farrow', as Joyce put it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

our whole approach to these sectors is arseways, we ve clearly made a mess of our educational and training systems in regards the trades, we ve become too academically biased, which has now screwed us in trying to resolve our current serious trades deficit, we better get cracking with it, or we ll truly be fcuked!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Probably a bad idea to rely on the State to provide your training, given that the State is completely **** at nearly everything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Third year pipefitting apprentice here, i was a week into my third year before i started my first phase of college (phase 2) and that was only because they ran one extra class this year to speed it up a bit only for that i would be going in January having served 30 months at that stage.

Roughly 48 on the list ahead of us for the second college block (phase 4) and there is only one class been ran in the whole country of this phase. 12/14 a class and so far at best they are getting through two classes per year. At that rate it will be another 24 months before we are called to phase 4 (which is the case for the current class) that will mean i will have roughly 54 months indentured to a 4 year (48 month) apprenticeship at that stage.

We are the forgotten trade in this whole backlog there has been no effort to accomodate us whatsoever. Anytime its questioned the buck is passed onto someone else everytime. A few lads in our class worked alongside apprentice plumbers within their company who were signed up after them and its become fairly clear to us now that the plumbers are going to get qualified well before us despite the higher number doing that trade.

Be it the union, solas, apprenticeship ireland or the etb nobody can give us any answer the buck is just passed along the way and we are just reminded that the 4 years was only a guideline to the minimum time tied as an apprentice. Could you imagine the shitshow if student teachers were told hold on a minute that 4 year degree you signed up for, well yeah were not sure ehen youll finish it could be 6 years but who knows really.

The training centre we were in was a joke the instructor was out for 6 weeks plus during our 20 weeks and nothing would have been done about it only our class walked out one thursday evening to get the attention of the management in the centre. As a class we were good for attendance and actually had an interest in getting through it and getting on with our career which is hard done when we were dealing with that. Meanwhile you had a plumbing class in the room next to us who couldnt care less and the instructor walked out on them as he couldnt teach them yet those fellas will probably still be better off than us in a years time.

The majority of us were into our third year before finishing that phase which meant we would have been due the third year rate of our employers had we been on the job, however its one rule for solas as they were allowed to keep our rates at the second year rate during the phase which wasnt a huge amount with the cost of living these days it was very hard get by during it.

There is an awful lot of money being thrown into the spprenticeship programme at the minute and little to benefit the apprentices i reckon its just creating jobs for the boys mainly. A lot of money is being given as a grant to employers per apprentice maybe €1000/2000 year. That money is no good really to the apprentice themselves but it depends on the company youre working for too. If one of the big mechanical and electrical companies have 100 apprentices that means they can claim €200k from that pot surely that momey would be better spent on building training facilities instead.

Luckily enough my employer is decent and is paying me based on my years and not college however if this apprenticeship takes 6 years to complete i will be working the last two years of it at 90% of the rate i would get had i been qualified after my 4th year as assumed when startinh out.

Oh and need i mention a lot of us are looking at a one way ticket out of this country once we have our papers in hand.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Yeah but they wanted to nationalize and streamline the qualifications. It was a good idea. The industry doing it ...has downsides.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Carrollsno 1 that is insane!

• Advertisement

As insane and all as it sounds its the reality for me and a lot more apprentices.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Commoner

And it's not just apprentices. Ireland has a shortage of Dentists and Pharmacists because the Irish Government refuses to open a School of Dentistry and Pharmacy in University of Limerick and University of Galway (NUI Galway) - two major Universities in the west of Ireland. Most students wanting to study these courses either have to go to the UK (because Ireland does not offer enough places like most EU Countries do), or else do a science course and then do the degree (that takes many more years).

I think the education budget in Ireland is actually quite low and very poorly spent on certain courses that people don't need a degree for in order to get a job.

Well at least those students have the option of heading overseas to complete those courses and would have a schedule to work to while they were at it. Apprentices across all trades have been thrown under the bus these last few years we havent the option of going to europe to complete (altough some apprentices might end up working there for some part of their apprenticeship) nor do we even have a timeframe/schedule to work to. One bit of feedback we are sick of hearing over this whole shitshow is "well youre getting good rates" and the like yes its nice to be getting it but weve no independence while were doing this apprenticeship. If a downturn does come after we have four years completed without the college phases completed and the whole industry goes belly up were left high and dry with no papers and no way of emigrating as we officially dont have the skills required to enter certain countries. I know it seems like im focusing on the negatives but when weve been screwed over like we have its hard to have faith in the system.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭eggy81

Everything they have their hands involved in is a **** show. Everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

The establishment in this country are literally trying to run everything into the ground. Incompetence is one thing, but this is deliberate.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,333 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not sure it's deliberate, just another example of our 'shur twill be grand' mindset, hoping someone else will take care of it or the problem goes away by itself. Any sort of medium or long term planning is beyond us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The FF and FG governments of the last 20 years had absolutely zero vision when it comes to education. Zero. Once the good times started, they took care of themselves only. They just react to issues now and paper over the cracks while blaming other causes. There is never a credible plan.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

Three years I would have agreed with you whisky, but after what has gone on here the last year and a half, all I can see is deliberate skullduggery.

You have the likes of O'Gorman tweeting in 10 different languages for anybody to come over here and get a free house, a plan he could never accomplish, and even if he could, what's a Green Party member demanding thousands of people to come here when his own political party's plan is to reduce carbon emission's on this island.

All this, while our own citizens, people that are trying to do the right thing are treated like they or their skills don't matter.

Something is going on. This country was always a basketcase, but the one thing it always got right was the welfare of technical apprentices. Now it can't even do that , and its not that hard to do, unless the plan is to make it so. And to be honest, that's all I see now, a deliberate plan to totally f**k up the country.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Advertisement