Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Doesnt it always slow into Winter and pick up again in Spring though?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

And what exactly will that do. There is probably 4+ areas that influence house prices.

Site costs yes a market crash could reduce these however that in itself would not significantly reduce house prices

Materials were expensive, however they have slightly dropped, but carbon taxes on building materials ( mainly effects steel and concrete) is going to keep increasing.

Labour costs are high at present but it hard to see them significantly reduce. There is a shortage of construction workers in Ireland and it's hard to see excess workers elsewhere which will significantly reduce prices

Regulations are adding cost all the time whether it's the concrete levy, planning, design, etc, unless we changevthe

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭DataDude

Not sure how seasonal the CSO data is. Although the October data probably represents summer sales so wouldn’t expect it to be a big factor this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

You left out rent, immigration and rent subsidies.

When rents go up REITs will pay more for houses. Investors pay more, etc

When immigration is positive the demand on housing increases and rent goes up.

When the government subsidises rent less people emigrate and more REITs enter the market and rents go up and house prices go up.

There seems to be real anger and despair building for an ever greater section of the population. I'm not sure what will happen if the accommodation crisis keeps going this way but Irish did fight back before (land war).

That time we the underlings were in it together against mostly wealthy absentee landlords. This time it looks uglier if the reactions below are a reflection of reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Timing belt

The one thing that does need to be factored in is the split between new and existing houses…. There is a lag in new house prices in the CSO where someone agreed the price and the house got delivered in 9 months time….I suspect that if you drilled into cso data that there is probably a difference story between executed and filled in the current climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭kaymin

If you don't like it don't read it. Plenty of other people appreciated the article being posted. It reflects the facts of what is happening on the ground in Sweden where there was a shortage of property just like there is in Ireland and interest rates are on a similar trajectory just with a time lag in the EU. Not sure why you believe I think Sweden is exactly the same as Ireland but there are similarities. Why would the fact that existing homeowners are on variable rates affect buyers who can avail of fixed rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You might want to read what Bass posted again, virtually all exiting owners and prospective buyers in Sweden are on variable rates, they are all exposed to rate hikes, whereas in Ireland a significant percentage have availed of fixed rates which means they are not as affected by rate hikes during the duration of the fixed term. He is not saying variable rate owners affect fixed rate buyers.

He said "the fact that it seems that virtually all Swedish mortgages are variable and this is effecting...buyers" and I have asked why?

Prospective buyers are not on variable rates as you've stated, they can choose fixed rate products if they want. In any case I fail to see why this differentiates the Swedish market from the Irish market which is what he is implying - this is a feature of every property market - buyers can choose variable or fixed rate products - both are available in the Swedish market.

Affects BOTH buyers and owners in Sweden, they all suffer when rates go up. There may be a reason why mortgage rates are predominantly variable in Sweden, maybe banks don’t offer fixed rates like they do here, maybe the Swedes don’t believe in fixing their mortgages. But in Ireland many owners and buyers do fix their rates, so increasing rates don’t affect as many people here, hence the affects of rate increases may not be felt as much in the property market here as they seem to be in Sweden.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭amacca

If both fixed and variable are available why are such a high percentage of Swedish buyers on variable rates?....

If the vast majority of Swedish buyers are on variable rates it very much does differentiate their market from ours...

• Advertisement

But it's the effects on buyers I've asked about. Anyway its nonsense so I'm not sure why I'm bothering.

You don’t see the correlation between such a high percentage of variable rate mortgages and property prices in Sweden at a time when rates are rising, and the benefit of a much higher percentage of fixed mortgages in Ireland? How can that be?

Differentiate how though, from the perspective of where property prices go from here?

It takes two seconds to google fixed rate mortgages offered in Sweden: https://www.nasdaqomxnordic.com/bonds/sweden/mortgagerates

And a second less to find the percentage of variable rate mortgages there, but what are the implications on property prices in a market where a huge percentage of both owners and buyers are exposed to rising rates? Then consider why a market with a much higher rate of fixed mortgages may not be affected in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I think alot of market forces are down to sentiment ,while you consider variable mortages to be a negative so prices should drop .Older lads would consider 3.5% mortage rates as affordable compared to rates 10 +years ago and like always said 'rent is dead money'

At this stage in the cycle fixed rates are running 1.5-2% below variable rates. In Ireland it's actually higher than that. I have not even checked other factors in Sweden.

Its comparing apples and oranges. There is even people comparing what is happening in the commercial sectors with residential sector.

At present in Ireland demand exceeds supply by a factor of 2 or 3 to one. Ya of 100k houses appeared out of somewhere it would cool the market there is nothing to indicate that such supply will happen.

Actually I not sure why I am bothering either.

Slava Ukrainii

Because both variable and fixed rates are going up for house purchasers and its house purchasers that determine the price of properties not existing homeowners.

You're comparing fixed rates versus variable rates at one point in time. The banks are considering market interest rates over the life of the mortgage in determining their pricing - it's not like they're giving free money away to fixed rate mortgage holders. The lack of supply also existed in the Swedish market not so long ago.

lol. It's buyers and sellers that make a market. Those holding onto their homes are not participating in the market. Seems obvious but clearly not to some.

• Advertisement

For those that understand, no explanation necessary, for those that cannot, no explanation possible.

🤣Profound. When you can't play the ball, play the man!

At the start of this year I predicted the Irish residential market would cool by 10% but it would be over 12-24 months. I have seen nothing to indicate yet I am wrong. However there is no benefit to buyers in that.

Why so.

Because a mortgage take out 3-6 months ago would have a lower variable rate than one taken out in 6-12 months time.whennyou factor in rental cost along with it over five years the cost is virtually the same

Will we see a collapse in Boise prices in the order on 25% plus. Ya if MNC wages drop by 10-15% and unemployment rises to 10%, and EU interest rates rise to 3.5-4% There is no indication that such actions will happen it would take a combination of events to cause such an action.

Actually the biggest issue Ireland is facing over the next 1-3 years is the temporary exodus of younger workers now that COVID is over. The vast majority of these workers will be from the construction/utility sector.

Most people at present borrow in 3-5 year fixed cycles. Usually if you manage the first 5-10 years of a loan the increase in capital V the decrease in interest payments smooths the effects of any rate rise.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

I don't like the fecker Murphy but he was trying to say that if the government had its own workers building houses that the profit element could be cut out of the expense. The other lad who was from the construction side kept saying that model that Murphy was on about would increase costs without actually stating how and when pressed how it would he got annoyed.

Further rate hikes today and further planned. Banks will be offering loans out at a minimum of 4% from here on out. Prices don't change instantly, but banks are already getting more stringent in handing out loans as they're expecting prices to drop/recession. I've had colleagues in work have to prove their employment, and their college education and jump through hoops to get approval. It is getting more difficult.

There is always a latency with hikes and prices, when rates go up, prices go down. It is a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Do you seriously think any gobvernment workers or government firm could turn out houses cheaper than even the dearest building firm you are on cloud cuckoo land to begin with.Just look at the attempt by the office of public works to supply modular houses for the refugees,They Government made noises about supplying these modular homes last March and the o.p.w. have nor even got a site yet to put them on ,god help if they actually have to build any !!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

Data from last year suggest that over 40% of renters rely on HAP or other government subsidies. All great as long as MNC dollar roles in, what will happen when it slows down ? Exchequer is spending everything as they come in, nothing put a side.

HAP was a temporary measure when it was introduced years ago, as a stop gap till more social houses were built. This never happened, and the state just kept expanding the scope of HAP and here we are, where it costs the state over €1 Billion just in rent subsidies to private and commercial landlords.

Any temporary measures our government has come out with, inevitably just becomes the norm. As with HAP, something tells me the we will see eviction ban just become a thing, with more or less lifetime tenancy guarantee. The government has no other option, as they have backed themselves into a corner!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

As Murph pointed out historically we did build social units its only a recent phenomenon that we stopped (last 20 years) so it can be done... .. I think Modular houses ramped up is the way to go and move both refugees and those on welfare into these. Hopefully this new planning bill will help expedite building

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Timing belt

You need to remember that Sweden was up there with NZ, Canada and Australia for price rises and have been warned by the ESRB about vulnerabilities in its housing market for 5+ years and had estimated that Swedish housing was 45+% overvalued at the same time they we’re saying the Irish housing market was 20% undervalued. That was in the feb 2022 report.

source: https://www.esrb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/reports/esrb.report220211_vulnerabilities_eea_countries~27e571112b.en.pdf

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement