Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2022 - discussion of the host country and related issues

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

You need a visa to enter Qatar, but for the World Cup they have some sort of waiver scheme in place if you hold a World Cup ticket (same as Russia in 2018), so if the fans arrived without valid tickets, and also had no visa they wouldn’t be let in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Welcoming Qatar at its finest clearly. Thought they had set up loads of "fan zones" around the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

From what I can see the debate is purely speculation. Were the latest tickets valid? The France Morocco game seemed packed to me.

The impression I get, and again it is only speculation on my part. But the vibe of that Euro News story above seems very scant on facts but high on implication.

It is the journalistic equivalent of putting the word ‘troubled’ before an individuals name. Very subtle. It is an old tried and tested trick. Sometimes by not saying something outright is more powerful journalistically. Then the reader/viewer has been framed in a mindset and ‘reads between the lines’.

In psychology it is called the ‘framing effect’

In your case your framing of the situation allows you think ‘aha this shows Qatar is unfriendly’. Which itself is confirmation bias.But you have the broader issues in context. Were the tickets valid etc?

We saw what happened England in Wembley in the Euros final massive security breach a shambles- no control on tickets. A danger to health and safety.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

The football world really needs to be speaking out a lot more about this it really is much more important and any sports washed world cup

You can take your "framing effect" ..... Not everything has to be a point scoring exercise.

From what @Captain_Crash said, you needed a ticket for the game to get into the country. Now it makes sense, as obviously they didn't have match tickets and the "Fan Zones" were for locals only, which I admit I didn't know. I don't mind admitting when I don't have all the facts, as I didn't here, so I had the wrong idea, as I didn't know you needed a visa ordinarily to get into the country.

The big plus here is that I now know that I will not need to purchase a ticket AND visa, as I won't be visiting this place any time soon.

• Advertisement

But the point you had your mind made up without knowing the facts at issue. Which is lot of what that narrative around the 'host country and related issues' are. Many commenting from a distance without due diligence or any level of research, knowledge of history, geopolitics and so on.

You can be guaranteed you along with many other posters will have forgotten about the 'issues' in Qatar that (you pretend to be so exercised about) this time next year. It is all for show, until the media tells you to 'care' about something else and you will follow like a sheep. As usual not doing research on all sides of the debate, and instead taking agenda led reporting as 'fact'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

No wonder the atmospheres have been so rubbish if fans can only get into the country with a confirmed ticket. Honestly, day by day the idea of them hosting a World Cup gets more ridiculous.

The self righteousness in this post, christ.

You seem to have a total obsession with your own (fairly wild and largely wrong) perceptions of other peoples motivations.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

I can see it sure, it is insincere, or naive. A lot is based on hysteria, and lack of knowledge/research. Plus not looking at views and the reality from all sides. Not looking at the bigger picture. It’s boards.ie after-all.

And a lot of posters seem to think you have to ‘pick a side’. In any debate. But I look at all the viewpoints. And evaluate the sources.

Sometimes they may have an agenda and it could be hyperbole. But if I find the primary source from the secondary source. It helps expand my knowledge on the issue in question.

If people want real change that is done at governmental and political levels. Talking to your political reps. The USA and the UK back Qatar on the governmental/ economic/geopolitical level. Qatar would not exist otherwise.

Why is there no lobbying of those governments and financial institutions etc? That is how cultural change happens. A gradual process. Actually doing something.

Instead we get meaningless symbolism to appear like ‘you care’ which is pointless. To me that is daft.

For instance it occurred to me that England v Senegal. England’ ‘took the knee’ co-opted from America BLM. But it appeared not ONE of the Senegal lads ‘took the knee’. How daft and pointless it looked. And Senegal a team full of black players and former French colony!

England taking knee v Senegal WC 20222 - Senegal players standing waiting

Similar thing happened at England v USA. England ‘took the knee’ and the country where it was invented (by political movement) didn’t take the knee. Again, how daft the optics are. Pointless silliness.

England players taking knee v USA WC 2022 - USA wait standing

As for the self righteousness. I would argue that it fits perfectly in this thread. As the whole debate itself is laced with self righteousness. The only difference is I look at all sides and the much broader picture.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Sure look, if you want to live in your own world where you know better than everyone, and no-one else really cares about anything, but are either searching to show their virtue (on anonymous internet forums?!), or are simply easily led by the media while you hold firm, a man against the world - that's grand. But maybe don't go levelling those accusations at everyone else on here out loud without something to back it up.

Also, why would you expect anyone except the Brits to do the kneeling thing? It's something primarily British clubs and countries do, suggested by an Irishman in Britain. Just because a similar movement was made by a sportsman in a different sport, in a different country, for a different reason, and under different circumstances (specifically during the national anthem), you reckon it's daft that they don't do it for football? It's a thing the British based players decided to do, it wasn't some international gathering, it's just them.

And tbh I think you've been as myopic as any of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But how does the atmosphere or lack of it affect you sitting at home watching?

Empty stadiums like during COVID do obviously affect the viewing experience but the level of attendance in Qatar hardly changed anything for the viewer watching at home.

Even though Qatar was a poor choice of venue for many reasons for someone like myself watching from home it made no difference really.

Ah yeah, for the most part as a viewer at home it doesn't really matter (though it is really weird to keep noticing so many empty seats)... but the whole feeling of the WC is definitely affected. Like, I have fun memories of stuff from outside the football at all the other international tournaments that adds extra flavour to the whole thing. Whereas this year it's really just the football between those white lines. The lack of numbers in the country has meant we just don't get any of those extra snapshots of passion and playfulness and revelry we're used to.

While most of the thing is built for people at home, I do still feel like a World Cup should be trying to offer as much of a live experience as possible to members of the countries involved, trying to create a proper global mingling event.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's only a year on from when quite a fair few of their players got horrendous abuse after the euro finals, so so the **** what if America and Senegal don't want to partake. It can be done to highlight a domestic issue. It's a serious and relevant issue in the UK and players can make that gesture without having to see how the **** another country may or may not feel about it

You're accusing others of myopia,which your as guilty of. You come across as nothing other than a contrarian. You're inconsistency is nuts. Journalists can't be trustde. No mark vloggers who have a history of being paid to promote holidays and such can. You pick and choose whose opinion you want to support as much as anyone

So you can’t see how daft all the odd symbolism looks? And behind it all have Qatar as a major Middle Eastern Ally to a former superpower (UK) and a current super power (USA).

Maybe I just don’t get this modern way of thinking where empty symbolic gestures somehow mean a bigger deal than the close political/ financial/ geopolitical ties of Qatar and its Western Allies.

But am glad I don’t because if I thought like a lot of posters on this thread - I would be a stereotype for Internet forum gullibility. It is is ‘protest’ without backbone or sincerity. To the point of stupidity.

Which has been echoed by the likes of the English football team and their media at this WC. Really odd stuff. But monkey see, monkey do - I suppose. If people want to protest fair enough. But it seems many have forgotten what protest is.

How is it a British issues? The knelling was a bandwagon taken from a radical American political group. The banks even got in on it a BLM hysteria - with the banners etc. Yet this group wanted to bring down capitalism! There is no coherence to the ‘protests’ at this stage at all.

We are supposed to attach an ever more vague meaning to England kneeling. It has no real meaning or purpose. John Barnes, Wilf Zaha and Les Ferdinand rightly called it out for what it is, explaining why from a number of standpoints.

Then there is the one love armband farce. The simple threat of yellows and the symbolic protest died. It could have had some meaning then. As Ian Wright correctly said real protest has consequence and meaning. Keane correctly said if they believe in it that was the very time to do it. What a statement it would make. Instead we got different versions of symbolism which somehow were supposed to fill the void. Daft stuff.

As regards consistency I have been very consistent. I questioned why it was only the one journalist from Denmark with a record of making his name in conflict areas- was the only one making ‘noise’.

Whereas Cork’s own Tony O’Donoghue simply said in his case it was mix up on paperwork- no different to similar scenarios he encountered elsewhere on his travels. Yet the media here cynically tried to conflate TO’D with the Danish journalist. But when you read what TO’D said the message was a lot different. Mix up no harm etc.

You seem very fond of the term ‘shill’. When I asked was TO’D a ‘shill’ in that scenario. The silence was deafening from you. As I assume you could not claim TO’D was a ‘no mark shill’. As he is a well respected journalist and known to Irish audiences.

Also two more Irish media football personalities (Ronnie Whelan and George Hamilton) declared that what they saw of Qatar it was a very safe place to bring families. And an enjoyable place to visit. Are they ‘no mark shills’ in your terms as well?

For someone who apparently likes to look at all the facts, youre incredibly dismissive and ignorant. In England it is very much an issue of racism, both societal and institutional that many of the players have been subjected to and spoken very eloquently on. John Barnes, Zaha, Ferdinand are not on the team. The players decided to do it. Here you are talking about it. IT has that impact.

No, T'Od wasn't a shill. But that's just deflection on your part from using the evidence of 2 influencers who have been known to be paid to say whatever the **** whomever is paying them to say. It's what they do for a living. You're very very happy to dismiss the opinion of plenty of others, and even documented video evidence of harassment, because it doesn't fit your narrative. The danish journalist that was simply standing around being harassed though. That's all he was doing. He wasn't causing conflict.

I've no problem with what Whelan and Hamilton's opinion. I've no doubt, Qatar is safe to bring a family. Why wouldn't it be when it's so heavily policed just in case a man should want to show affection to another man. You know, you gotta keep that in check. I've already replied to whelan too. The man revels in misery.

It doesn't have an impact.

1) It has no coherent cause or meaning - do England know what they are kneeling for anymore? It seems to have taken almost a religious vagueness at this stage!

2) I am talking about it because it is amusing to me - the half assed incoherence of it all

3) I edited my previous post as you responded - and mentioned the 'one love' armband farce.

Which Ian Wright correctly said protest must have 'meaning and consequence'. You take the yellow that is a statement.

Roy Keane said similar if you believe in do it. And getting a yellow would be much bigger statement.

And I understand both both points completely, as it as it would show sincerity to said - cause. But yet what did they do? Back down first time at the slightest threat. Which makes me think it was all all for show and the 'optics'.

As Roy Keane said - should have stuck to their guns.

Ah c'mere, are ya really asking me again about the symbolic gestures, when I've already discussed it at length and in detail to you directly in a previous reply... you talk a lot about how you take all sides of information on board, but it seems like if it's something you don't want to hear it just goes in one ear and out the other.

By continuously calling them empty, and continuously putting everyone in the same box, you just completely ignore the fact that everyone has their own distinct experience of life. For some those things will mean little, for others they will mean a lot. Again, stuff I've already gone through at length. The fact it means fck all to you is grand, but why you feel such a strong need to shït on everyone else is a bit mad.

As for the point about the UK and US... what's that got to do with anything? We're not national representatives of either of those places (or any place at all) or something. I've loads of problems with both the UK and the US, and I also have problems with Qatar, and Saudi and Iran etc. The latter ones are the ones coming up here cause those have been the ones relevant to the forum of late.

You also keep claiming to be so well informed, but much of this is just wrong. It wasn't a gesture taken from a radical American political group. Kneeling or actively being seen to not engage in an activity or symbol have been a passive form of protest for as long as protests have been a thing. Kaepernick made it more famous recently in his protest against the US anthem as a result of police brutality against the Black community, so it was a gesture everyone was aware of as 'protest'. BLM and the British footballers both took it at the same time and used it within their own respective - and different - protests. Both were clear about what they were protesting. They are DIFFERENT THINGS. One can only be confused by it if they literally choose to be.

I've also gone through this subject in far greater detail in the past on this thread, so I reckon I'm probably just pissing into the wind at this stage, so I'll probably bow out of this one...

I have already mentioned all of that Kapernick and so on in other posts.But I ask again what does it actually achieve? It only ends up people of the same well meaning if very naive mindset groupings patting each other on the back.With no real change, it is superficial. A pretence.

As John Barnes said real change is societal and at political level. In other words It not merely putting on a ‘show’.

• Advertisement

Sorry if I offended you. But those symbolic gestures are empty. They might give those people who do such gestures ‘a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside’ at best.

At worst it is ‘going through the motions’ because other people are doing it. By which stage it has lost its vague meaning, in any case.

Personally, they just amuse me as those in the media have to pretend such gestures are ‘powerful’.

As for America and the UK just type in ‘USA Qatar ally’ and ‘UK Qatar Ally’ and see what comes up. Only for them the Saudi’s would have annexed Qatar long ago.

Qatar built the yanks a military base, in Doha at massive costs. A mutually beneficial relationship.

Before the USA - the UK was the ‘protector in chief’ of Qatar. But still has military deals with them. And is a very close ally.

Qatar only exists because the US and UK say it can. Because of its geopolitical importance, as an ally in the Middle East.

If the ‘symbolism people’ like yourself were serious they would be pressuring their nations UK/USA to break diplomatic relations with Qatar. And freeze Qatari foreign assets and so on.

However, there is no political appetite for it. It is just empty gestures instead. And warm fuzzy caring feelings, from a distance.

But behind all the superficial noise, the realities of global politics take precedence - which make symbolic gestures seem even more silly than they already are - in my opinion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

No point discussing any of this with gormdubhgorm. The basic premise is that you can't complain about X because you are not also complaining about Y and Z. You are ignoring how country Y and Z, which you must support because you didn't include them in your complaint, is in bed with X. Only gormdubhgorm has this information and is passing it on to us ignoramuses (latest educational post above) as a gotcha. So don't protest anything because, you know, hypocrisy.

Most of us here would, I think, consider it a given that people who have issues with Qatar, will also have issues with countries that are pally with them, do deals and so on. Most of us are also old and wise enough to know that western countries often get into bed with countries like this and worse and it would be nice to see people get off twitter and do something worthwhile to change these things but none of it invalidates issues you or I might have with Qatar being awarded the World Cup.

O.k. back to the usual programming of gormdubhgorm posting another info. dump about how bad everyone is so we shouldn't protest any of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder how quickly Qatar will try to dump PSG and and related expenses involving football after Sunday.

No need to keep pumping billions into football now.

I'd say the opposite.

Man utd and Liverpool are up for sale they might venture into the lucrative EPL market.

This WC had been a huge success for them, all this talk of migrant workers and gay rights has just melted into the background and disappeared once the tournament got going.

They will be bouyed by the success of it and look for more opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

In footballing terms, it was a great world cup, with great matches and players on display, but as great as the football was you can't ignore or hide from the human cost involved in bringing this world cup to fruition, were the thousands of deaths all worth it? all to see a multi millionaire Argentinian lift a lump of gold dressed in a silly cape...

This tournament will go down as the most openly corrupt sporting events of all time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

It probably will, but will people remember it as such? Feels like it got forgotten pretty early into the tournament. At the end of the day it's the great football and Messi getting his world cup what most will probably remember.

Already seeing rumours about Saudi Arabia bidding for a world cup. They might even get it too, nothing would surprise me with FIFA any more.

I definitely think people will remembered it as the most corrupt sporting event of all time, without doubt...it was so shamelessly obvious and in your face that it'll be impossible to forget, but will it matter in the end? Id say no, if anything this will embolden FIFA and FIFA always have a price, if Saudi Arabia offer enough up they'll get it, it's that simple.

Maybe it's just me but having such events in places like Qatar always mars the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Undoubtedly.

Messi being presented the trophy draped in the garb of the Qataris was a fitting end to the tournament.

Messi the poster boy for sportswashing up there with his paymasters laughing in all of our faces.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Well......fifa have a rule which stipulates that a confederation cannot host a tounament if they hosted one in the previous 2 iterations. So Saudi are barred from bidding until at least 2034.

However, how many rules of bidding were tore down to host the 2022 competition in this feckin desert (8-12 different host cities, having it occur in June/July, allowing people of all races and creeds enter freely)

So yeah.......actually I'm full sure Saudi 2030 is happening 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

Argentina 78 is right up there with the Junta and the disappeared!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Argentina made very hard work of a match that should of been dead and buried a long time before they even gave France a peno. They wont care but they've done it that hard way for the whole tournament letting lead after lead slip.

In a way makes the win all the more special. Delighted that Messi got his crowning glory to round off a brilliant career. He stands equal with Maradona atop the pantheon of greats

Messi has surpassed Maradona in every way, the WC was all Maradona had on him.

Yeah but could he do it on a cold wet Tuesday night in stoke after a load of drugs?

Exactly not forgetting Mussolini’s one in the 30’s learn the history lads!

On the closing ceremony I have a number of points on the media coverage/reaction to it.

I was very surprised at Joanne Cantwell's comments on the closing ceremony on RTE. She was stirring things up by wondering whether the Qatari's would shake hands with the female officials. It was close to incitement of religious hatred.

Even the most basic research (of why strict muslims do not shake hands with females) show that in Muslim culture not shaking hands with a female is viewed as a mark of respect and etiquette.

Instead, I believe Cantwell should have focused on the reasons why Qatari Muslims do not shake hands with women, rather than sneering at their religious beliefs. Gestures that are signs of respect in the West, are a sign a of disrespect or frowned upon in other cultures.

For example, in some middle eastern countries the thumbs up gesture is the equivalent to the western 'middle finger gesture'. Or in some Latin/Hispanic countries the 'OK hand gesture' means assh0le. Speaking of assh0les in the closing ceremony Infantino looked like a right plank. He should have hurried up and given Messi the trophy. I instantly thought of the time C.J Haughey 'won' the Tour De France in 1987.

As for Messi and the garb - like many others I thought it was bullsh!t. Odd symbolism etc.

But, apparently after doing a bit of research it not bullsh!t- but bisht.

'The bisht – a thin see-through traditional Arab cloak'

Dr Mustafa Baig, a lecturer in Islamic Studies at the University of Exeter, told the PA news agency that the bisht was a formal robe worn by royalty, dignitaries, grooms on their wedding day, and graduates at graduation ceremonies. “Only a select few people would actually wear the bisht,” he said.

Speaking about Messi wearing the garment, he said: “They basically honoured him by putting it over his shoulders. It’s like a mark of honour, and just kind of a cultural welcoming and a cultural acceptance.”

Dr Baig said it was also representative of Qatar’s national dress – but only at important occasions. “And this is a top occasion. I mean, there’s probably no bigger occasion, so they put it on him as a mark of honour,” he said.

Dr Baig said he saw it as “an embrace by Messi of the local culture”, adding that it was “a pretty cool thing” for Qatar to do and “smart thinking” on their behalf.

• Advertisement

I dont think anyone doubted there would be cultural significance to the garb, it obviously would have. The only question is if it was really appropriate in that moment. Imo it wasn’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Not the thread for it, but that's not true is it?

Dragging a peripheral team in a top league to multiple titles is no mean feat, hardly ever achieved.

There's no player past or present that could of elevated Naples as Diego did. I put Messi as equal due to the honours he's won, individual and team.

Messi got his world cup but again could of went either way, gave up leads twice. Messi played technically very well for the whole game, but when France pulled them back his response as a leader did nothing to change my mind on him in that regard. Argentina composed themselves well in extra time, and it was a team effort, and Messi contributed and got the goal, as I said his technical ability shone.

But had the penalty shootout gone the other way, he would be rightfully criticised for not leading the charge to counter the pressure they came under, growing in stature and forcing his presence on the game. It's in those sort of moments, in combative gung ho fashion, Maradona rose to the occasion and took the fight to the opposition by himself. He grew taller, and the bigger the occasion and more pressure his team came under, Maradona got better. That was the mark of his greatness. He could force his will on a game.

When comparing them, you'd say Messi was slightly the better dribbler and goalscorer, Maradona the better playmaker and passer. But your splitting hairs either way. They are eerily similar in their attributes. But when it comes to presence, character and leadership, taking hold of a game, Maradona is miles ahead. And for many that will always separate them.

Maradona was the small kid, with a huge heart, that he wore on his sleeve, and it showed. They're both the two greatest with Cruyff, but Maradona carried that something extra special imo

I think it is the thread for it. Messi finally emulating Maradona was a huge talking point of this tournament. And giving pros and cons to this is surely relevant?

Probably fits better in the other World Cup thread about on-field stuff.

This one is about the problems of Qatar hosting, and other related social/political issues.

• Advertisement

Maradona was a great player and what he did at Napoli was special, but it was done at a time when the quality just wasn't as good as todays, he wouldn't of been able to do that in Messi's era, it wouldn't of been possible.

I also don't no how you can say Messi was only the slightly better goal scorer and that Maradona was the better passer...Messi destroys him in all those areas, the statistics don't lie, it's not even remotely close.

People who think Maradona is on par with Messi are driven by nostalgia, as I said he was a great player and will go down as one of the greatest, but Messi has well surpassed him, what Messi has achieved will probably never be replicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

I know I have just finished watching it. But I still can't believe that the World Cup was in Qatar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Messi was paid hundreds of millions of Qatari money over the last few years I doubt he cared one bit about having to wear it and no doubt he will take more money off them over the coming years.

He is already being paid hundreds of millions from the Saudi's to back there bid for 2030 so I have no doubt he would wear whatever they ask him to as well.

Only seen this message. Maradona scored about 350 goals from midfield, and although Messi is a midfielder he does generally play higher up. They both drifted but Maradona roamed more and deeper.

As already pointed out he played in a league renowned for its defenders and in conditions not favouring the attacker. 350 career goals under the circumstances is an unbelievable return, he would of also played less games.

As for passing, on what metric can you say Messi categorically destroys him. I was giving my own take on that and would be off the opinion Maradona was the better playmaker generally. Is there statistics to say otherwise? Giving assist numbers is a fallacy when talking about playmaking, Ronaldo probably has more than Xavi, two yard passes hanging around the box all day, doesn't make him a better playmaker.

Someone put it well today on the radio. Argentina's win was a huge combined team effort, for the team to get their ageing genuis captain his world cup. Whereas 86 was a case of the genius carrying the others along!

Yeah I'm a bit the same.

After all the talk about it over 12 years in the end it seemed no different than any other world cup from the armchair view anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Qatar still clearly spending a lot of money on this even after it's finished. I'm being bombarded with 'suggested' articles on my news feeds about how great the world cup apparently was. As soon as I hide one another pops up.

Keep clicking. I heard they're keeping the "bisht" 'til last!

Advertisement