Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

To the guy that was thinking about walking on the frozen lake.

Remember that your a adult and can consider the risks, make your decision about how far to go out based on your lifetime of experiences and your general knowledge of physics.

Kids might see you on there and obviously assume that all is safe, they don't have the benefits of your knowledge just yet.

it's not your best idea!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Current 7 day anomaly (National temp) stands at - 5.8c. This is the lowest 7 day running deviation since that of the week up to March 4th 2018, which bottomed out at -5.2c, but which of course is nothing compared to that of the -9.7c 7 day anomaly that occurred in the week up to Christmas Day 2010.

The actual weekly mean temp currently is at 0.3c, which is 0.2c cooler than that of the Storm Emma week back in 2018.

So by all accounts, this current spell is a legit cold spell by any measure despite the lack of snow itself.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well I appreciate some people will be very glad to see this cold period ending, but I am not one of them. I am going to miss it big time. A highlight has been the heavy frost resembling snow in places. I tell a lie, the frost staying on the trees all day was special too. I hope we don't have to wait another 12 years for several ice days in a row!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Currently -3.9c in Durrow, running 1.1c colder than the same time yesterday.

Today's AWS max was 2.4c which was interestingly also 1.1c higher than yesterday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Roads are lethal here in SW Donegal, whatever the colour of the warnings, there was a dusting of snow this morning which froze solid too, very seasonal looking I must say, love this type of weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Niall145

Heavenly day up on the Wicklow Mountains, clear blue skies and thick snow everywhere; so glad I saw it before it all melts on Sunday!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sounds very similar to the situation here in Meath. The dusting from 2 nights ago is still here and my road, more of a laneway than a road is covered in a thin layer of sheet ice the entire way and is absolutely lethal. Had to stop myself from fallen 4 times today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Already down to -5.3 after a low of -6.9. Not much of a thaw either today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Much of the Royal Canal near Maynooth remained frozen all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Strange temperatures again, falling slowly to -2.1 about an hour ago. A fog has rolled in and climbed quickly back up to -0.4 - my max today! You'd suspect your equipment lol

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,760 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Arrived in Lithuania last night, and it’s been like this since I arrived!! Really hope I can bring some of the white stuff home for Christmas!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I was in - 22c last month and that didn't feel as cold as our - 5c feckin hell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Average temp of -3.2C here for the past 7 days. 🥶

2010 was the only other year in my lifetime to see a week as cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,249 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Met Éireanns automated forecasts are mad, at 8am tomorrow morning it's giving a temperature of +4°c for Galway City, but -5°c in Oranmore. A difference of 9°c in a distance of 9km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,765 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

People recommended wet dog food recently but I usually put out peanuts, seeds and some bread.

I threw out some old cooking apples that I never used in Autumn and the blackbirds loved them. They rarely eat the shop bought apples for some reason - probably due to the chemicals on the skin.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I just remembered have some decent wholemeal spelt bread in the freezer. That should do, I think! TY!

I heard before that uncooked porridge oats, used in bacon fat, would be good, but I'm not sure if the salt content might be suitable for the birds. Same with the bread...🧐

But DO NOT feed them MILK though, apparently milk is bad for them.

Warning: never give milk to any bird. A bird's gut is not designed to digest milk and it can give them serious stomach upsets or even kill them. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

If people are out walking kick over dead leaves, bits of wood and other debris, there is feeding just beneath the surface.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

-5C due here in Cork City (again) tomorrow morning, and that will be lowest temp forecast until the rapid end to this cold snap, for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Dazler97

-4c in theMidlands, parts of the southeast and southwest, i know it must be - 2c in West Dublin and 0c in the city centre but it looks like dublin has - 20c lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭highdef

Looking at the temperature trend at Mount Dillon this evening, I reckon the 22:00 report could be rounded to -6, if not -7c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Just found a dead crow in my front garden.

Thought it was a runner at first. Poor fecker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

-0.5 at my place. - 5 C 27 km away. North kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Half an hour ago it was -5.2c here in south Laois and a breeze has picked up and brought in fog! Now -2.2c!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Our neighbours cat left a frozen dead rat outside our house earlier...

Extremely thick freezing fog here in Galway city. Slight bit more of a thaw today than previous days but not by much, everything in the shade stayed frozen solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭cheezums

there's rattles to be heard all throughout the countryside of new heat pumps getting wrecked by ice. if it's rattling, defrost it quick before it breaks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It is the sheer HUSH.... How long since any wind now? A rare deep silence. And the bitter cold. And the end in sight..

West Mayo offshore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Freezing Fog at Shannon with poor vis

EINN 152300Z 10003KT 0100 R24/0450 R06/0450 FZFG VV001 M03/M03 Q1019 NOSIG

EINN 152300Z 10003KT 0100 R24/0450 R06/0450 FZFG VV001 M03/M03 Q1019 NOSIG

Its an aviation weather report known as a METAR.

Shannon Airport 15th December 11pm, wind 100° (easterly) at 3 knots, visibility 100m in Freezing Fog, Runway visual range for both RWY24 and 06 is 450m, vertical visibility 100 feet, temperature -3°c, dew point -3°c, QNH (Air Pressure) 1019 hPa, no significant change forecast in the next 2 hours.

To the best of my recollection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm with you! As much as I love heat, proper heat.....and would be happy with it all year round, I despise the wind......any wind at all. Whilst I'm not a lover of the cold, I'm fine with very cold conditions as long as it's accompanied by completely calm conditions. Give me -5c with snow and/or blue skies with calm conditions over 10c with wind and/or rain any day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I looked out my window a few minutes ago in west Dublin and thought it had snowed as the ground had a fresh white coating but its actually a very thick ice/frost that has formed. I've never seen it so white simply from frost. It's gotten foggier too so maybe it's a layer of frozen moisture on the surfaces. It looks like a dusting of snow for all intents and purposes. Very seasonal looking!

Post edited by lordleitrim on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,079 ✭✭✭circadian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Mt Dillon the first of the synoptic stations to record a -9 in this spell, I believe (-8.7).

Just heard a great gust of wind.. Wondered what it was at first... Half past six am

The strangest thing this last while is the silence ..

Offshore West Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭mumo3

Reading -4 here at the minute in D22 dreading the drive in the next few minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

-8 Aherlow tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Hardest frost of this cold outbreak here in kilkenny city and add in a fairly dense freezing fog

It's like a Christmas card scene out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Dropped to -7.7’C at around 7am, rising a little now.

(Roscrea)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭ascophyllum

6° in Belmullet and -5° in Claremorris at 6am. 11° difference across county Mayo. Same difference between Mace Head and Athenry.

The mild air is coming! What an amazing 2 weeks here on the West coast, the landscapes and the light has been beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Thankfully looks like today is the last of the really frosty days.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Current readings locally:

Low of -6.8c just after midnight. Once again, the lowest temps occurred during the freezing fogs with sudden rises in when the fog banks clear. Noticed this yesterday evening as well. As soon as a (very eerie) fog bank rolled in, the temps plummeted rapidly, which is curious given that other people around the country on here have frequently reported the opposite effect. (rise in temps when fogs roll in)

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

-6 this morning in Sth Kilkenny.

Pitches were rock hard last night .

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

Tullamore Rural.

Our coldest morning yet from this cold spell. -7.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Low of -8.1 in Roscommon, still -7.8 now 🥶

I have a robin who risks his life ( my cats) flying to to tell me he is hungry...He then has the sense to retreat to the top branches of the bushes... I add butter to the wholemeal bread.. NB there are magpies around who are much more of a threat than the cats. And there is always left over cat food out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The sea temp at Killiney has dropped over 3 degrees in under two weeks. Gonna be a cold swim this weekend 🥶

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭rameire

A lovely frosty covering this morning in Clonee

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement