Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do?? Commute vs House size

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Breaking news, other posters have kids too!

So you are saying that the kids will notice if the OP moves from 200SQM to 250SQM?

Their teens are 12 years away btw, plenty of time for the OP to trade up in the area they are in.

Based on your last paragraph you are totally biased against Dublin, but more breaking news would be that its a very large place!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭donnaille

Breaking news, other people have opinions too....

Btw, I didn't want to derail from your previous point on the commute time but the 24,000 mins a year of commuting = ~29 waking (14 hours) days

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

Sure I’m biased and totally against Dublin. It isn’t what it was 20 years ago! And your point with regards to plenty of time to upgrade, again (how did you put that nicely? Ah yea “breaking news”): I would also advise against that. Even more costs and hustle that you could avoid instantly. Plus depending on where you move to then it may mean taking your kids out of their known environment. Not a good thing to do!

oh and yea, they will notice those extra 50sqm and who says the one child might not be 3 or 4 in a few years time 😉. So regardless of what your opinion is (and it is lovely to see that you have your own opinion on this), my stand is: if someone asks me “stay close to Dublin or option for bigger, cheaper house 60min away” I will always go against Dublin!

Oh and not to forget: Breaking news! People can have different opinions and views. Doesn’t mean that one is right and one is wrong! It’s just opinions. OP needs to decide and not us. We can just state our point of view!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Why do some people from Dublin take such offence when someone says it’s not for them?

Breaking News, if you’re not a Dub you can take it or leave it, it’s pretty much how a Dub would feel about Limerick really.

Dont get me wrong there are some lovely places in Dublin but there are some absolute dangerous kips as well.

Good areas are all coastal and you will most for the privelage the death zone increases the further west you go. Dublin I’d more about east west than north south.

oh and you can have an amazing lifestyle in other parts of the country for a fraction of the cost of Dublin.

No one takes offence, its just that its riduculous to say "I dont like Dublin", you cant tar all of Dublin with the same brush, living in Knocklyon is going to be very different than Blackrock or Smithfield or Clontarf, to label it all as the one place is silly.

As for the good areas being all coastal, I think Ranelagh, Rathmines, Terenure, etc might disagree!

There are dangerous kips everywhere, to suggest otherwise is also silly.

• Advertisement

So all the 3-4-5 kid families who grow up in 200sqm houses are deprived?

Over 12 years its highly likely that the OP could upgrade to a bigger house in the same general area, so the kids wont have to worry about learning a new language or anything.

Differing opinions are fine, but nonsense scaremongering about big bad Dublin is ridiculous and deserves to be called out.

I made that point in my post, I also made the point that it costs an arm and a leg to live in the decent areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

This thread wasn’t anything to do with Dublin until the last few posts. The OP has already clarified that neither of their options are in Dublin. The thread has been derailed by a member of the Anywhere But Dublin brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭dbas

I am a Dub and I love living in wicklow. Just because I don't want to live there anymore doesn't mean I don't love it.

Everything changes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Short commute for me. Losing potentially 6 hrs a week commuting would be the deal breaker. That 6 hrs is time that you won't be spending with your kids. Also having to drive to school is a nightmare. We moved last year specifically so the kids could walk to school and be walking distance of all their class mates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mykrodot

agree and this is what I keep thinking. There must be more than 2 options, get a halfway option, half the commute distance, half the hassle, half the price difference hopefully too. Bray sounds ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Shorter commute for me as well. Being able to share drop offs and pickups takes a lot of pressure off.

Some days my wife needs to work late at the drop of a hat but its no issue as i can easily do pick up. And the same in reverse.

Ive done the hour commute each way and i thought it was fine. I realised after i switched to a 15 minute cycle what a huge difference it was. I got to have breakfast with the family in the morning, was home in time for dinner, was home when the kids arent exhausted and in a bad mood.

If we are talking about 70sqm versus 200sqm then it might be different but i doubt that is the cse.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Upgrading to a bigger house costs money. Already OP says the more central house is costing 80 k more. It would probably cost 20-250k more in 10-12 years time to upgrade. Because of initial cost upgrading is less and less of an alternative. As well moving in 10&12 years time is much harder when you have children and more unsettling for them

You can share pickups and drops off elsewhere as well, it will probably be with a neighbour. People make sacrifices and choices all the time for lifestyle.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

This doesn't just come down to big house vs small house.

It's also a short commute to work vs a long commute to work. I've done the long commute and about a year ago I changed jobs and have a much shorter commute. While I was doing the long commute, it didn't seem too bad but in hindsight, I was spending the equivalent of two working days per week commuting to and from work. I wouldn't chose a job that had a long commute unless I had no other choice.

It's being close to family and friends or being far away from them. If you move an hour away from friends and family, you'll see them an awful lot less. In reality you'll pretty much lose touch with some of them.

Grandparents can help with children vs Grandparents who are too far away to help with children. With your job etc., how important is it to have them around to help with the children?

And you have to consider what will happen when your parents are older and might need your help more. My mother is 80, starting to slow up bigtime so I call in to her nearly every day to do stuff for her like bring in coal for the stove etc. What'll you do when it's your parents who need minding?

All that said, you still need space for your family. There's only myself and the wife and two dogs in a four bedroom house that's quite large and I love it. We lived in a one bedroom flat from 2008 to 2009 and it wasn't great. Wasn't room to fart in the place.

I don't envy your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Storage is overrated, again, just filled with shite. Have the toys my kids have aren't played with and end up thrown out anyway. Bikes can be stored in a back garden or shed.

I suppose it wasn’t aimed at you, I lived in Dublin for many years and obviously some of my best friends are from Dublin, but not being from Dublin I never had a major connection with it, still don’t, but there is a certain type of Dubliner that if anyone comes on boards or other platforms, and says they’re thinking of moving out of Dublin, they go apopaleptic, wondering spent anyone could consider such a move, not every Dubliner I must stress.

It’s very odd, to the vast majority of people who moved to Dublin to get jobs, that’s all it is to them nothing morenothin* less a place they went to get a job, and if they could€ have got those jobs in Waterford, Galway, Limerick or Cork they more than likely wouldn’t have gone near Dublin, thanks to remote work a lot of towns and villages that were decimated by people moving to Dublin for work are coming back to life again. This is a good thing, and certainly good for people from Dublin if it frees up accommodation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭fits

Another thing to consider - being able to call in someone at short notice to keep an eye on one kid while you bring other kid to out of hours gp. Husband away.

im out of the house for 12 hours on the days I commute and it’s tough going. I wouldn’t choose to do that daily. Not with a young family

Post edited by fits on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Just on the commute time. I used to commute form Glenealy to Sandyford a few years ago. That commute was horrendous. You would have to get up and be on the road at the crack of dawn if you didnt want to be in the car over an hour. And as for going home. if you werent on the road before 4pm you might as well wait until 7pm to leave. I dont know what its like now, but I doubt it has gotten any better.

Kids were asleep when I was leaving and asleep when i got home most days. Horrible life. Ive decided I will only work places max of an hour each way for a commute for me from here on in. And thats an hour on a train or something that is the same all the time. Not in a car where it change change by an hour from day to day depending on what is going on on the roads. And remember. The same commute only get longer as time goes on.

On the house size. I always thought a smaller house was fine, until we moved into a big house. You dont realize the difference it makes til you are living in one. But if you never moved into the bigger house, sure you would never notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

No one says there will be or are deprived! I grew up with 3 sisters in a small house and survived and grew up just fine. That said, more space would have been greatly appreciated. That’s all. Not sure why you are taking such an offence to that. My opinion is purely based on my personal experience (growing up in a small space and going through the whole starting a family in a small space and moving to a bigger one). You may or may not have a similar experience (or different one) to support your opinion - either way that’s fine.

and sure Dublin is great in some areas and not so great in others. So yea, my experience is probably influenced by the not so great areas that I know off. And sure you have that everywhere. You can have that in the smallest village. I don’t disagree with that and yet I stick to my point: ask me if I would pick a house (regardless how big) in Dublin over a house outside of Dublin (and to me Dublin is Dublin City and not bray, swords, Wicklow, tallaght, castleknock etc) I pick outside of Dublin any day. And yes, I was asked (like everyone else) when this thread was posted in public.

now if I misread that (or missed that part completely) and dubljn was never the option (I think of the smaller house with no commute) than sure I do apologise for causing a havoc and having hardcore dubs upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

I'd probably go smaller house, more convenient location.

Theres a lot you can do with even a small amount of space, for example having bench seating along the walls with storage in the benches opens up the full room area and great for storing all the kids toys etc., you can get ottomans that double as storage, you can create separate spaces/activity areas in the rooms with the right furniture, in the kids rooms there is a lot of innovative furniture out there to give them a bed plus desk plus seating area to relax in their own space without needing huge real estate.

We have quite a large garden and these months it may as well be a patio, never out there, even the dog refuses to go out these days! It's great in the summer that's the one thing that might sway me to move if forced to down size.

I was renting a 3,000 square foot house for a few years and I can tell you it felt like the kids were on top of me all the time, because they were, that's just kids! I'd say on average we used less than half the space in that house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,537 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Commute times can change as well over time. You 50 minute commute today could be 30 minutes in 20 years (with better roads) or 90 minutes (with worse traffic)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,389 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Shorter commute every time.

did a long commute when I lived in Paris.. ok it was public transport but I could never figure out why I was always so knackered come Thursday night… one of the thing’s was when working it out… walking to the metro, walking through to platforms and out the far side and to work.. was about 40 - 45 minutes walking all told per day, obviously at a pace. All adds up.

The bigger issue would be kids here.

Do you really want them having a Dwaaaheddaaah accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Fifty minutes isn’t far , more important to me would be if the location stacks up and more importantly again if you guys like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

AA well when someone is working room in a house is very important. Having a room you can work from and not the kitchen table is important. It gives you the ability to stop work for 1-2 hours if need be and not have to clear everything away. If security is important you can lock the door to the room

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Just to share an update on this one -

We went sale agreed on a house in Bray. Shorter commute and got slightly bigger - House is 80sqm, 2 bed with a attic converted roughly 80sqm The one we were looking at in Arklow was 110sqm 4 bed with a bigger back garden both terraced.

Price we paid is crazy for what it is but needs must. but.....

I am 15 mins drive from work

wife when she goes back is 10 mins from work ( Mother in law will be minding the baby when she returns to work she is roughly 5 mins from wife's work )

My parents are 15 minutes away and my wifes brother and my sister in law are about 5 minutes away.

Close friend circle all within 20/25 mins

Also can pop home and check the dog on lunch

Pretty sure we made the right call albeit a terrible market looking forward to moving in.

I just think that extra 40ish minutes each way would have put unwarranted pressure on both of us which I just feel would have taken the good out of it.

Thank you for everyone's input I sat down with my wife and went through every single one and it really helped us in our decision process. See yas in the harbour bar in for a pint at some stage...….if I can afford one :p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

We're ten minutes from both families and its a gift to be honest (we all get on well~), but its great as they can see/help out with kids often and its not an hours drive for any of us. I wouldn't move further from them, that commute will be tough an hour each way, think of the winter and dark nights and mornings, would be pretty wearing tbh.

sorry just seen your update, best of luck, its the right call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

My personal experience...

I had a choice between an apartment in Dublin or a house outside it. I eventually bought a 3-bedroom house in Wexford, and I already regret it only 6 months later. It's not a bad house at all, but I have no connection to the place, and when I do need to go to the office, it's a 90 minute drive or a train. I'll probably sell up after the house is done up nicely, but we'll see.

OP, short commutes and being near your friends and family are worth far more than a bigger house.

Advertisement