Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ursula Von Der Leyen - addressing the Oireachtas yesterday. Opinions on her speech?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

@eskimohunt

They are the sole body to propose legislation. Therefore, it acts unilaterally. And its legislation cannot be amended / vetoed in a legally binding manner by the EU parliament.

Sigh, it still needs Parliament and either all of or a qualified majority of the Council (i.e. the member states) to support what it is putting forward, so it cannot "decide legislation unilaterally".

The Council & the Parliaments' committees/groups also get view of what Commission is coming up with, even if they don't have power to propose the law themselves. It doesn't come down from the mists of the mountain summit on tablets or as a thunderbolt from a blue sky.

I don't know why you flog this dead horse. Your earlier reading of link you posted explaining processes of creating the EU law and role of the Parliament for laypeople like me was incomplete. Given I'm a non expert, If you are a lawyer or legal expert when it comes to the EU, I would like some more support from you that the EU parliament cannot amend legislation or it cannot block legislation in some cases.

If procedure set out in link(s) we both ended up posting is basically wrong, and you have the right of it /what is explained in the Europa links is actually "not legally binding" + gets overruled, show us that. 

I never said the EU was a nation state. But Guy Verhofstadt and others have already recommended changing the name of the commission to the "EU Government". Make of that what you will.

What I make of it is federalists like Verhofstadt want an EU federal state to develop. Perhaps they hope adopting analagous terminology from nation states (another e.g. - the abortive European "Constitution") will help grow the idea in people's minds + gain more support for it or belief in it (even if it does severly rile up people like you - but then they probably think those who want to see the EU collapse cannot ever be won over anyway).

The rest of your post does not undermine any of the points I made re: Ursula von der Leyen. It's largely commentary about the history of faux attempts at reform and respective failures to date.

I said I don't agree with the process + how she was appointed. My description of what happened was not "faux" reform however. They did try to bring the EU electorate into it somewhat last time ,or perhaps the EU parliament made some play to insert themselves and almost suceeded, but Council put a stop to it. Really we need EU treaty change to improve this and define a more democratic process IMO but of course you will be bellering "vote no" at top of your voice if such a treaty ever arrives & we have to vote on it here, no matter what is in it.

On your final point, I wish to see the structure crumble but not states of Europe working together. We can have both. It doesn't have to be EU or nothing. That's a false dichotomy.

It is reality, where as you are living in "Europe of the nations" (sans EU) dream land (or just lying again because your politics are a hard sell here). The bun fights that will erupt across Europe if the EU collapses will make Brexit look very tame. The EU is mostly what we have currently for trying to work together in Europe, if it crumbles, cooperation will be set back for a long time (just as it is between UK and the EU 27 post Brexit) in favour of acrimony, finger pointing and blame + zero sum power games.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

What has the EU got to do with the UKs PPE drama??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Eskimohunt has been happily using the UK recall law as an example of what the EU doesn't have and thus why it is so terrible. Apparently national level parliaments are better than the undemocratic mess of the EU but then he's using an example from the most democratic body and an example of a situation that is also present in UK politics (the fact there is an undemocratically appointed member of the legislature involved is particularly perfect).

Corruption happens in politics - I am not suggesting it should be overlooked. However, portraying it as somehow a problem unique to the EU is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,674 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

He's also using an image of this man as his avatar.

I already posted a link in to Farage being investigated for a questionable payment from Aaron Banks.

That poster is once again pontificating with a 'holier than thou' attitude, with no shortage of skeletons within the closets of those he admires and argues on behalf of here daily.

If, when Farage was an MEP, he was found guilty of a crime, perhaps you can quote the source of his conviction? Otherwise, you just have allegations and that old classic, the smear by association.

And do you have any thoughts on Ursula's reckless claim in her speech that the UK occupation of Ireland was the equivalent of Russia invading Ukraine?

Because everyone else can see how recklessly stupid that comment was.

• Advertisement

Did you, or Farage apply the rule of 'being found guilty of a crime' before commenting on this Qatari situation?

The UK occupation of Ireland was similar to Russia invading Ukraine. How do you think it wasn't?

So no evidence that Farage committed a crime. Okay, good to have that sorted.

Now, in the raid today, they found 600,000 in cash. I don't care who they are, that is a crime right there. Nobody keeps 600k in their drawers. The police clearly knew they were onto something, and found exactly that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If, when Farage was an MEP, he was found guilty of a crime, perhaps you can quote the source of his conviction? Otherwise, you just have allegations and that old classic, the smear by association.

While you are very quick to point out that it is just an allegation against Farage, you don't seem to have any difficulty in finding others guilty...

Now, in the raid today, they found 600,000 in cash. I don't care who they are, that is a crime right there.

It was you who said that having been convicted of a crime was necessary in order to suggest someone had done something improper. Why did you say it if you don't believe it?

You could easily give written fellatio to your heros on here as you are focused on doing without making yourself look incapable of making a valid argument.

I know you can delete your account so that no one who isn't here right now would be aware of all these contradictions you are prone to, but to be honest, that doesn't show you in a great light either.

Ugh...really!?

The investigation into Farage is complete. Where is the conviction? Oh yeah, there isn't one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Eh, Ukraine was a fully functioning democracy before the invasion by Russia, Ireland was divided among feudal chieftains, more often at war with one another, when the English brought unity to the country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Under English occupation, Ireland was repeatedly raped and pillaged, subjected to numerous pogroms and had its population growth permanently retarded as a result of British callousness in the nineteenth century. I thought Nationalists were supposed to care about their country but they can't seem to process von der Leyen speaking a simple truth.

Curious.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Ahwell

when the English brought unity to the country.

That is quite the blinkered take and whatever was actually happening 900 odd years ago, I think that there's more than a few instances in the intervening period where it is evident England didn't give a flying fcuk about unity in Ireland.

Up to and including their attitude to it in recent Brexit negotiations.

They sought to occupy, control and pillage it. Ala Putin in Ukraine.

Christ, you do post some bull! The English did not bring unity to the country. They violently bled as much from the country as they could and this includes education, culture, traditions and language. Your description of a unified country is simply delusional nonsense (and so somewhat unsurprising to see Farage Jnr thanking it!).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Beware of flatterers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I really don't get the language angle Welsh is still spoken Same with Scottish it just seems people chose to speak the more useful language. As Celtic was a trading language at the time there was nothing but an outpost in Ireland no huge population of celts. Cornish died out. France created a national language out of hundreds of dialects. Like Chinese. Germany the same there are still old dialects spoken regionally. You cant really kill off a language people will still speak it when others are not around. People chose English that's it.

We're straying off topic here but successive Acts by the English governments over the centuries were specifically designed to confine the Irish language to the poor and uneducated. The likes of the great famine then helped remove the poorest from Ireland.

Of topic also but Legal system is not the same as the entire suppression of the language. Languages die of their own accord. India had some uptake of English but nothing major for example. I just don't get the Idea of the Brits beating the language out of people It could not be done. If that was the case everywhere the Brits went English would only be spoken. It takes a critical mass of them and a buy in from the population to take hold. Just look at Canada French English and native languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

• Advertisement

"People chose English that's it." The part where you tried to paint the picture that the Irish chose to stop speaking Irish and just adopted English freely.

"The first British Law enacted in Ireland which specifically banned the use of the Irish language was Article III of The Statute of Kilkenny from 1367 which made it illegal for English colonists in Ireland to speak the Irish language and for the native Irish to speak their language when interacting with them.

This was followed in 1537 with The Statute of Ireland – An Act for the English Order Habit and Language that prohibited the use of the Irish language in the Irish Parliament. In 1541, further legislation was passed which banned the use of Irish in the areas of Ireland then under English rule.

The Administration of Justice (Language) Act (Ireland) was passed by the Irish Parliament in 1737. The Act not only forbids the speaking of Irish within the courtroom, it also prohibits the completion of legal documentation in Irish and imposes a financial penalty of £20 each time Irish is spoken in court in contravention of the law.

‘To extinguish their sinister traditions and customs’ – the historic bans on the legal use of the Irish and Welsh languages – The Irish Story

None of that effected the general population. Does not stop you speaking in a shop or talking to your mates or speaking at home.

We're not forcing you to speak English but you're life will become very very difficult if you don't.

Mafia tactics, thank you very much for the unity ...

You do realise that was probably British policy in every part of the Empire yet most places kept their own language. It's simply not a credible argument other than people chose to drop the Irish language. I would love for it to come back but no one seems to want that either. No one forced English on those native speakers that went to the USA or Australia. It was a majority language up until the 1800s. Then it tapered off.

anyway off topic. will leave it there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If only you had a modicum of interest in holding the gaelgoirs to account. I've no idea what this has to do with the EU anyway.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

There is a lot of social history backing up what Seth Brundle and WrenBoy are saying.

It isn't just a matter of deciding what sounds more plausible - look into what happened and what people at the time said about it if you're interested in the truth.

Anyway we are a "wind energy superpower" now so our time has finally come.

The Statue of Kilkenny was largely ignored. The Irish language is dead because the Irish people ultimately did not care about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Ireland was the first colony of that Empire and while I believe its population was at one point more comparable to other parts of what became the UK, it was still smaller.

Ireland is no India to "manage", population or size or distance wise anyway that's for sure.

Much nearer to Britain, easier to occupy and settle + exert force on.

So you had a small "colony" that was very close and was under the the thumb + the native language under constant pressure for alot longer. Think by time of the famine the surviving bastions of the language were in the poorer parts of West/South of the country where the pressure to use English hadn't had as much success over previous x hundred years, and of course they got wiped out didn't they (other UK posters have informed me, in past threads to paraphrase, that was because they were dumb for growing just potatoes)?

No more people, no more language, no more problems! But sure it was all rational "choice" and English is just better etc.

• Advertisement

Ireland wasn't as under the thumb as people think. Remember the Nine Years War from school? Hard to see that happening if Ireland was completely subjugated.

English was the modern language, the language of trade. Irish itself offered no advantages. Same reason we use numbers from the middle east.

Advertisement