Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Another frost In Galway city, probably last one for a few days at least. Sun attempted poorly to defrost a few things, however cloud and a SW breeze have pushed in sending the temp flying up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Overnight lows from ME's Twitter page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Treeline here in North Kildare frozen solid. -6 at 7am but thankfully warmed up to -4 now. Sun is out and the slow thaw is starting.

Enjoying the cold spell but won't miss it, lugging buckets of water out to horses, defrosting taps and rugs, and hands, as well as constantly breaking ice on feed troughs and drinkers, the ice really makes it all so much more difficult.

I've lost count of the amount of times my hands have gotten frozen to steel gates with gloves on.

Don't particularly want rain either though!

Loving the clear blue skies..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Overnight low of -6.8c in Durrow, Laois County.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Freezing fog and white frosted everything here. Was -8 on the car at 7am, still well below zero. Will actually be glad to see the end of the cold, frost but no snow is just misery with no fun. Anyways. north kk/ south Laois/ carlow border

• Registered Users Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Probably on my own here, but one thing I won't miss from the spell is the constant blue sky and sun. Not the biggest fan of sunshine anyway but in winter, I just find the tone of sunshine to be off-putting, glarey, monotonous and not fit for purpose (offering no real valuable warmth). Sunshine in Ireland looks much better in the warmer months because everything is green and lush and in bloom which compliments the look, but in winter, it just shines a harsh light on everything that is dead. A death light, that is what winter sunshine is. The couple of days with all day fog there a while back was much nicer to behold and offered much more atmospherics and seasonality to the landscape in my miserable opinion.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Wow that's cold! Don't think I've been in the Irish sea at that temp. A balmy 9.3 today in comparison!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today is the last proper day of the cold spell, make the most of the winter scenes, it all ends tomorrow when milder air sweeps through most of the country by tomorrow afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Still below -4°C here in South Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Enjoying the familiar too-long-silent gentle windsong after a long silent stretch.. Wind of change..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Castlederg went from -7.2 to -0.6 in 1 hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Status Yellow - Ice warning for Ireland

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Icy conditions in some areas today (Friday) and tonight as showers gradually track southeastwards over the country. Some of the showers will be of freezing rain, sleet and possibly snow. 

Untreated roads and paths may be treacherous in places.

Valid: 12:00 Friday 16/12/2022 to 12:00 Saturday 17/12/2022

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Condor24

Ok, no snow, but a notable frosty week. Lowest temp -8.4 at my midland location yesterday. -8.0 today. Will we see anything lower this winter? Who knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The snowy Dublin Mountains and frosty suburbs looking lovely with a red sky earlier.

Apart from the curvature of the Dublin Mountains foothills in the background that image could pass for anywhere in the upper USA or Canada. Splendid picture with amazing colours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Still frozen here in galway, but up past 4°c now so won't last too long. I see showers on the radar, saddening to think that it could be washed away in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I'm really looking forward to all the pictures early next week when the weather turns milder. I disagree about this cold spell not being remembered due to the lack of snow. It has been great in its own way- the huge amount of stunning photos in this thread attests to that.

While not as impactful as 2010, it stands out for having several ice days in a row and for the time year it occurred at. It's just a great pity it could not have hung on till Christmas.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Would think initially any showers could lead to severe black ice in places perhaps, this morning water dripping off the car was freezing instantly on the ground.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

People like us who have a great interest in weather will of course remember this spell for the duration and rarity of the spell, the depth of cold for so early on in the winter etc. but I feel the average person who doesn't have any great interest in the weather will forget this spell over time. In general conversation I have noticed people only remember 2 winters and that is 2010 and 2018. The average person generally forgets about February 2009 and March 2013 and I'm sure December 2022 will be no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

A lot colder and much more snow in 2010 tha now.... Much of Dublin had between and 20 and 40 cm of snow... Even by the coast and the city centre..... November and December were savage cold...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Rain shower in west Galway.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Near Turloughmore, Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well, 2010 and 2018 will naturally come into peoples thoughts first due to the sheer amount of snow we had and the adverse impacts that caused, but given the length of this cold period occurring in December, and that we have seen some of the lowest daytime temperatures in nearly 12 years, I think it will be remembered by people who, shall we say, have a more passive interest in the weather, especially if we don't have a severe cold spell that eclipses it for a long time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The December novelty is enough for me to remember it fondly (regardless of south Dublin getting lucky that one night with sneachta). Then again, what do I not remember? 🤣

• Advertisement

First signs of the milder air entering the very far western coastal fringes, Up to 7C in places.

It won't be till midday tomorrow that most of us will notice an increase in temperatures and Sunday before we feel the blowtorch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement