Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze - Dec 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Silverdream

That's tough, I've managed to keep 2 troughs free with the aid of them infra red lights. We could be in for a few weeks of this, the weather looks to have settled into a cold spell with no sign of the mild westerly winds returning.

Might be worth getting the lend of a slurry tanker and fill with water rather than having to use barrels. Even a small 1000 gallon one would keep cattle going a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Ah you don't think a florescent hanging off the rafters stopped your pipes freezing do you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Minus 3 at home this morning. Felt like minis 5 with the breeze. Busy catching up on hedge cutting with the dry weather. Clear crisp morning. In the second photo you can see mount leinster in the distance if you zoom in (can't get the photos into portrait)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

can't get the photos into portrait

Neither can I. I saw on another forum if you crop them first it works ok then. You can't be far from the Galtees in another direction. We can't see either of them up this end of the county.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Same as that. I gave mine some water but they barely touched it. I remember in 2010, we were switching them between sheds (one shed had water & other didnt) and at that time, they were mad to be drinking water.

Drinking very little this week for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Jb1989

What's the thoughts on doseing stuff that was in a shed but still got frozen? Not good I presume.

Can of zanil here is frozen. But can of endofluke and bottle of amimec didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I read this and then brought my doses into the house. A few days should do it.

According to the Zanil HPRA datasheet it says not to freeze (section 6.4).

Licence_VPA10996-262-001_24112017183232.pdf (hpra.ie)

Ectospec and Dectomax, my other doses do seem to be ok, Maybe they are oil based, or whatever.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

-7 this morning according to the jeep clock if there anyway accurate. Reports of -9 locally also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Looks like we're on the way to -10 here tonight too, -6 already.

Found the first of the leaks in the brief thaw this afternoon.

There's going to be a full day of plumbing repairs whenever the full thaw comes 🙈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Thanks for the research. Seen the same on the Zanil label. Harm could be done though to the internals of the medicine. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭older by the day

Had my doses under the bed already. Had a board bia inspection a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭monseiur

What makes a bull sweat even in this cold snap ? 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭monseiur

It's one of those questions that baffle even Mr. Google at times ! Answer is 'A tight jersey' 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Out this evening and came across a fox. He seemed dazzled by the head torch. Had to shout at him to get him to move out of my way. These cold conditions must be hard on wildlife.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

-6.5°C here now and a heavy fog.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

The joke's over here anyway - everything frozen solid including the water trough near the shed where I was drawing the water from.

Doesn't look like it's going to thaw at any stage today either. Will have to go to the next water trough along the roadway and start drawing from there.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Milk lorry had -10 in the cab anyway. Manage to get water flowing to wash the tank but the parlour is a pia. Fecking hate hard freezing as much as I hate snow, just wastes a day getting fcuking going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

Same here, had managed to fill some IBC's and keep from freezing but they'll be empty by this evening. At least tomorrow is Saturday should have more time to get one tap going to refill some. Looks like there is a thaw coming from Sunday, but could still be a bit longer before water is back and any leaks become known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Gillespy

End in sight thankfully.The much maligned big round JFC troughs are great in this weather. Have two with the heifers and one with the yearlings. Filling them with a garden hose that I reel up and put in at night. Cows keeps theirs running.

Really hasn’t been a batch on other cold spells here. Remember slurry channels and shed passages freezing in 10/11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We’ve had wee skin of frost on shed drinkers most mornings but today drinkers, pipes and water tank were all frozen.

opened the top of the tank, smashed up the ice and pumped the water out into half barrels. Water getting precariously low now without rain to top it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Have you rainwater harvesting for the shed water troughs cause i would love to do this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

Really hasn’t been a batch on other cold spells here. Remember slurry channels and shed passages freezing in 10/11

Been pretty bad here, but reports seem to be very different only short distances away. I think a few nights of freezing fog really added to the problem causing more freezing deeper into sheds than normal. Never seen such layers of frost on machinery at the back of shed closed on all sides but open entrance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Rain here now in the west.

was talking to a fella who was them bottom fill water tanks out in the field and they stayed filling, he just broke the ice on top a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yes it’s in decades at this stage, very rudimentary, the pipe under the yard to the shed punctured and this was done to replace it.

about 20 years ago the steel tank was replaced for a plastic one. Water just taken from the roof, overflow back out rear wall. No filter. Occasionally get a bit of dirt in drinker ballcock but it’s rare. Few years ago we threw out the steel barrels the tank sat on and replaced with builders trestles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,787 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ibc tanks are the business. Put it on pallet forks, drinkers filled in minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭endainoz

Absolutely, I've gotten great use out of my ibc during this spell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Diarmuid B

how Did ye manage to stop the IBC from freezing? I filled mine up, came out yesterday morning and the tap that’s on it and the tap I installed on top of that were frozen solid. 2/3 kettles of boiling hot water couldn’t thaw it out

Advertisement