Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

You can wait for that to recover itself or you can pull fuse 19 and that should spring it back into life. Its important to have the car online in this weather to control remote heating! ❄️

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Yeah pulled fuse 19 and back online within 5 mins. Hadn't thought about the remote heating feature....

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

Should tie a piece of string around fuse 19 for convenience sake..........

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I’ve just received this from VW. Maybe finally some movement on V3.0. I had sent the I Want OTA mail but missed out on the first 1,000 chosen

Hello Arch, 

Software updates bring new functions and improvements to your ID.

It’s easy to benefit – over-the-air!

As you have already received ID. Software 2.4 with the new 12 volt battery in the workshop, you’re ready for the next big update.

The ID. Software 3.0 over-the-air update offers numerous benefits:

• Battery optimisations ensure enhanced charging capacity and reduced charging times.
    • The new Battery Care Mode helps protect the high-voltage battery.
    • The optional augmented reality head-up display is enhanced with additional functions.
    • The reliability of voice recognition and the system’s reaction speed receive major improvements.
    • The navigation system offers lane-accurate route guidance on motorways.
    • The redesigned charging menu brings easier access to charging settings and offers faster and more intuitive information for drivers.
    • The ID. Light gets additional functions such as additional signals for traffic hazard alerts and parking space search.
    • …and much more.

Your ID. infotainment system will show you when the ID. Software 3.0 is ready for you to install. As our updates are built up on each other, please install the over-the-air update ID. Software 3.0 to prepare your ID. for further updates.

My 4G came back after on it's own :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

yes, i also got this email. none of the links in the text work, they direct to a 'page not available'. laughable incompetence.

i've no idea what i need to do next. there's some blather about getting a weconnect start contract with directions on how to get we connect from the app store. i have we connect, do i need another app or download the same app again? as if the software roll out isn't bad enough there's a compounding inability to produce plain instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Same app. Some stuff will need to be registered after the update. From what I've read elsewhere, after the update we have to go into the new app store in the car and "buy" for 0 the new we connect contract. That gives the connect services for 3 more years. At least they don't have the cheek to start charging for that yet. My original 3 free years expire in September and very little has worked during that period.

Same email here. Looks like they've fixed the next round of issues and are pushing ahead with the update for the rest of us. I'll take it!

One thing that peaked my interest in the email was this line

"Battery optimisations ensure enhanced charging capacity and reduced charging times."

That suggests they are releasing some of the buffer... maybe? I'll be watching the figures in the OBD app closely after the update!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

I just got the same email too but I'm out of the country until Monday night. I hope that doesn't affect it.

Also, did anyone get an email about a We-Connect charging payment of €103 being uncollected??

I emailed them yesterday because I just started a new we-charge free contract, No monthly charge, but 73c at Ionity if you use it. I reckoned that I would use it so rarely that it's not worth paying a monthly subscription for. When I try to go into the invoice section of the app, it just crashes. The last time I used Ionity was at the start of November and they have taken the payment for that but no way do I owe them 103 euro...

I'd say that's a translation error and probably means alterations to the charging curve or perhaps more charging power " for a very short time of course"

If it said enhanced battery capacity but because it says charging I'd take that to mean some alterations to charging curve, power limits etc. I would live some of that massive buffer back though, I don't like carrying around a lot of heavy battery I have no access to.

This is still interesting all the same.

• Battery optimisations ensure enhanced charging capacity and reduced charging times.
    • The new Battery Care Mode helps protect the high-voltage battery.

The new battery care mode might finally mean a driver activated battery precondition function ? probably wishful thinking and I bet will strictly be under the control of the car itself. Probably battery car more enable yes no function and then it will probably be like before the 2.4 update where the battery heater will come on all the time and heat until 12 deg C and have no impact on cold battery charging lol.

Anyway probably be October 2023 before we find out.

• Advertisement

I just checked the my23 price list, only 1x 58 Kwh model with crap equipment for 42,212 Euro's and in my opinion People are bonkers if they pay the price I paid for the T5 with travel assist.

Not looking good for 2024 end of PCP, car prices crazy high now, long waiting lists will mean probably keeping the car or getting a 2nd hand diesel. Definitely bad times for electric cars and new cars in general. But it's getting silly now. Definitely doesn't look like I'll be getting another EV any time soon and I'll certainly never, ever get an EV with less range than the T5 or a car that charges so bloody slow again on DC especially in the cold, maybe the new update will address some of the coldgating.

There's nothing out there at a sane price or likely to be in 2 years, the updated id3 will be out then but can't imagine the price or waiting list, probably have to order it now lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

I wouldn't sweat it,2nd hand prices are inflated to the same extent as new prices.

I.e. right now my 40k km car is worth more than I paid for it.

Woudnt fancy being starting from zero mind......

The problem is that the T5 is no longer available so have to spend more on a car with less kit and much less range, so it's not a simple matter of new cars more expensive but 2nd hand values go up. Not getting anywhere near like for like.

Cost to change is what matters, so there is no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭eagerv

Most cars, including the ID.3 seem to have increased by 25-30% over the last 2 years, inflation seems to be a bit higher than the quoted amount. But looks like other items, such as hotels, meals etc are similar or more.

I am just back from Istanbul, was there previously 1 year ago. Inflation has been quoted almost 100% in 1 year, but in reality has been more for the locals who haven't been getting the wage increases after inflation and currency devaluation. Last year a simple outside street meal of a half baguette filled with meat incl a local soft drink cost 10 Lira (Approx €0.83). This year at same stalls was 30 Lira (Approx €1.58). Hotels were also twice the price in one year, but I think some of that was due to the number of wealthy Russians fleeing mobilisation.

Apologies for thread drift..🙂

No problem ? seriously ? it matters a hell of a lot if you're getting a car with a lot less range and a lot less kit, it certainly does matter.

Inflation, chip shortage, energy crisis, the energy crisis was brought on by the E.U themselves and we're expected to foot the bill.

The cost of the 58 Kwh and removal of a lot of kit is shocking, whatever I got for my car couldn't make up for the loss in kit or range.

You were lucky, you bought your ID.3 at the right time, as did most of the First buyers. I was also lucky to sell mine last February at a good price due to the severe shortage at the time and buy my Model 3 before their big increase last March.

Yea, you’re probably right. The word “charging” is key there alright.

Battery care mode is just an on/off toggle to tell it not to charge past 80% so don’t get excited about that! You can see it in some reviews of the newer cars that came with v3.

Yep, I seriously can't see myself buying another EV any time soon, if I want to change the car I'd be looking at a 2nd hand diesel, much more choice, I'm certainly not paying these prices for electric cars and have to suffer the limitations of slow DC charging especially in Winter. The other option of course is to keep the id3 and run it into the ground though I do fear being out of warranty.

What's the battery warranty again ? x years and x Kms ?

• Advertisement

Likely getting a boards ban again, If I do I won't be coming back sick to death of over modding and censorship. I'll be deleting my account, sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I agree I'm just back from a 4 week ban. And it is my second 4 week ban in a few months so my account is well flagged at this stage. One more ban I'd say it will be a lifetime ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭RM Ernest

Is the best option then not to pay the balloon payment and keep the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

No you have it mixed up you have to pay that and then you keep the car.

3 years full car warranty and 160K Kms Battery (Or 8 years which ever comes first). I think.

I'll be terrorising them on twitter, just glad I've been using add blockers for years, wouldn't give them a penny with adds!

Seriously ? telling people not to charge past 80% ? gas, sure there's around 10 Kwh of a buffer for ffs lol.

Suppose it was too good to be true hoping they'd actually make fast charging, well, you know, fast in cold weather, Oh well, Maybe by 2040.

Indeed, looks like it's the end of the new EV road for me now but hey, have to stop buying new or nearly new cars now, if I need to it will be back to diesel, I'm not paying mad prices, i'd rather pay 35 K for a nice estate BMW or VW and pay the rest in diesel over the years and for much less inconvenient recharge times.

That's around 3.5 years driving for me and if the battery degradation is high it will be a right O'l sting. Time will tell. If something goes wrong with the battery that could see me thousands out of pocket.

• Advertisement

How often are you needing to fast charge? Thought you had a home and work charger.

Personally, I find fast charging a rare/minor inconvenience. Far outweighed by the convenience and price of home charging.

Advertisement