Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

He cleared all faults on the computer even though there were none visible

My guess is that is what "fixed" it. It was equivalent to a reboot.

I'm off to buy a winter cover for my car!

By all means, but I doubt it will make any difference. There are thousands of these EV's in countries alot colder than ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭id.4 fan

Well if thats the case I'm off to buy a winter cover AND a universal OBD reader.

You would think the car would reboot itself once turned off and on wouldn't you!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

True but it remembers the OBD faults until they're cleared. Haven't seen that one before myself but glad it got fixed

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

A UK car media fella on twitter had a similar issue last week with the Cupra Bjorn he has on long term test.

The same 2.5 kW at home and 5.5 kW at public charge point.

Bit I don't understand is that if the car allows 5.5 kW on public AC - why doesn't it allow 5.5 kW at home.

I will find the twitter fella and see if he's updated since.

Edit

In response to the Cupra Born tweet - several EVers say this isn't normal behaviour.

James and Kate the youtubers put up something showing they put in 42 kwh into one of their EVs overnight at -6 degrees

I suspect this is another VW group glitch and were it mine I'd take it up with VW with a view to them going off and improving the issue.

• Advertisement

Thank you.

I was talking to a few other fellow ev owners at the rapid charge station on the M7 this morning, in particular a guy with a porche ev.

I told him my problem and he laughed as he told me electrics and frost don't get along.

Another guy with an ID.4 said he too had noticed a drop in his charging rate but not as drastic as mine.

I understand the ID.4 is not perfect and there are some bugs in the system that still need to be ironed out but this problem costs me half a day's pay running around trying to get it fixed.

Anyway, at least we have this forum to help out cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

is the zappi terhered ? Are you using the same cable each time ?

have you inadvertently set the car to slow charge on AC?

Bit I don't understand is that if the car allows 5.5 kW on public AC - why doesn't it allow 5.5 kW at home.

The car appears to have gone into some fail safe mode and is charging at granny charger rate which is 10A per phase so that’s about 2kW at home and 6kW on a public charge point, as they are 3 phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Another quirk for VW to address.

Never heard of coldgating symptoms on 7 kW charging before.

• Advertisement

That was my first question to him above and he said it’s not that.

Guys just to let you know I put a 60% charge into the car last night at -3°C and it charged at a constant 7kw charge rate.....happy days.

I deleted all locations/ departure times and decided to use the zappy charger for scheduled charging instead of the ID.4's own system.

I'm hoping this was a once off glitch in the system that was triggered by severe frost and freezing fog.

Anyway for what its worth I sent an email to VW asking for it to be sent to the appropriate apartment detailing this problem with the ID.4

I'm hoping they might address it in they're next software update if needed.

On another note the postman was late this morning delivering the mail. He said he's electric van would not start!

Can someone explain the logic behind making the seat heating reset every time you start the car (AC now not selected) but the steering wheel heater stays on? 🤔

One happy effect of upgrading to 3.0 is that the sending of a location to the car seems to work more reliably now, sent two locations this morning and they both arrived in a few seconds

Might have just been good luck so I'll try to test it where the signal is a bit worse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭boccy23

On mine, it always heats the passenger seat instead of the driver one as well. Assume it's some bug to do with LHD for Europe.

I tried for ages to figure out the steering wheel heater and gave up. Even when I turn it off, it's on 2 and one press turns it off. Not to 1. I have to redo it to get to a setting of 1. Very glitchy!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Maybe a stupid question… on mornings like this is using the heated windscreen to de-ice it safe so it won’t crack etc? I guess that’s one of the the main reasons for it anyway, never had one in a car and I’m used to the idea of not applying heat too quickly to a frozen windscreen.

It should be fine, I've used mine a couple of times over the past week and it's magic 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

Received the below email this morning, pointless as its still not clear when the update will be pushed to my car. I then click on 'read more' only to bring me to 'Sorry page is not available'

VW software and their updates really are a sorry case :(. Rant over

... pointless as its still not clear when the update will be pushed to my car

Its not a push. The car has to pull it.

All VW do is they add your VIN to the "allowed list" and your car polls for new updates once a week and if it gets a positive response from the VW servers that there is an update available for your car it will start the download.

The day it polls is a set day of the week that doesn't change. You cant initiate it and the day your car looks for it depends on the day your car was built/enabled. So, you just need to wait upto a week and it will silently start the download in the background. When its ready to install you'll get a popup to say its ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

Received that email this morning too

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liam2021

Got that email this morning, will have to wait and see weather the ID 4 get it first or the ID31st, nervous going to download this over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭hold my beer

My window washing water keeps freezing. Not very safe at all. Had to drive a good bit yesterday on motorways with dirty windows. Still hadn't thawed out after 45km.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭micks_address

i guess this is more of an issue with an ev as you don't have the heat of an engine keeping it thawed in freezing weather.. last time it happened me was in 2010.. thought id run out but was frozen..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I thought I'd run out and went to garage to fill it up, but it still didn't work after topping it up. It must be the lines freezing is it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭boccy23

This is really pissing me off since last Friday!!! I will have to use the alcohol based screen wash going forward. Even when I put water on it the last few days, if I can't put the windscreen wipers on immediately, the water freezes. Major drawback.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭eagerv

In these times you need a good antifreeze windscreen washer fluid.

Was driving up north early in week in freezing fog, saw a number of cars stopped on hard shoulder clearing their windscreens. The heated wiper area on my model 3 did a great job, at least they weren't hopping on the windscreen but water flow was very weak because my washer fluid was well watered down.

Edit..I thought my previous ID.3 had heated nozzles, cannot remember how to turn on.

I thought the washers were heated to stop that happening?

I always use screenwash anyway so maybe I just never noticed it. The Aldi stuff is generally decent and reasonably priced

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Nozzle is heated (allegedly) nut not the lines / reservoir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭eagerv

Also there is a low pressure area on the bonnet and roof of a car, so you get a Venturi effect which increases the faster you go with a corresponding drop in temperature above ambient and indicated temperature.

Advertisement