Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

Bus parking on Merchants Rd is to be removed, council are investigating options

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭rustyfrog

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I thought same until recently, if RR gets canned then they just might just spend the money on Light Rail line? Could be a decade rather than decades. More than likely it will pretty much follow exact same route as Bus Connects anyhow.

• Advertisement

I think a seven year old on a push scooter would come off the worse of a tangle with a railing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭serfboard

When he says that "quite advanced work has also been done on the Dublin Road" is he talking about the Galway Clinic Roundabout? Or is there more?

Could be or he could be referring to the Dublin rd part of Bus Connects which is to go into planning once Cross City Link is approved or shortly thereafter. It will involve putting in 2 bus lanes & bike lanes from the Clinic junction to the Huntsman

Cross City Link went for approval in Sept, so we'll possibly hear something on it around Feb. Construction due to start late 2023

The Dublin rd project completed its public consultation last Jan I think. Brochure for it linked below. I'm guessing it won't go in for approval until Cross City Link is fully approved and at no risk of changes as the 2 join together but thats only a guess on my part

https://www.galwaycity.ie/uploads/downloads/publications/traffic_transport/BusConnects%20Dublin%20Rd%20Non%20Statutory%20Public%20Consultation%20Oct%202020%20Reduced.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I have been thinking about improvements to the corridor / route from Galway to Athenry.

Double track the railway line

Eliminate all level crossings (I think there are five)

Build new stations: one in Renmore, one in Roscam, and more see below

Consider a tram-train operation like Karlsruhe

Spur off railway line near Merlin bar, with tram line to run into Merlin Park hospital, where new elective hosp is planned.

Aerial phots from Google suggest this could be done without much demolition of existing housing.

Merlin Park hosp seems to have space for housing also?

Possibly continue that tram line through towards Briarhill, and then Parkmore, although this section would be more difficult

A second spur off the railway line, east of existing Oranmore station, with a tram line running into Oranmore centre, site of station behind BellaBaby or near An Fuaran

Trams or trains to run as follows:

One service: Athenry - towards city - spur into Oranmore - back out the spur - Oranmore coast road station - Roscam station - Renmore station - Ceannt

Other service: Parkmore - Briarhill - Dougiska - Merlin Park hosp - join main railway line - Renmore - Ceannt

Athenry - field on Church street to be developed into housing, and more sites nearby.

I am trying to think how the tram line could split from the railway line after the Lough Atalia bridge, but I am getting stuck..........

Only thing to mention, the field in Athenry you are referring to is zoned for Business & Enterprise on about 60% with the remaining zoned as Recreational. I've curcled it in green blow so maybe I'm thinking of a different spot.

It would make sense to have higher density housing there though

Athenry LAP below

https://www.galway.ie/en/media/Athenry%20LAP%202012-2022.pdf

• Advertisement

Thanks for that DaCor - I've seen the plans before alright, but was just wondering what the Minister was on about.

To me, the sequencing for Bus Connects Galway is strange - they're starting with the (IMO) most difficult section first - the Cross-City Link - but I believe that the Dublin Road one would have the most bang for the buck, without the disruption that the Cross-City link will cause. When it's finished, the Dublin Road project will allow no less cars on it then currently - so no possible cribbing from motorists, but will allow bus commuters to sail by four kilometers of traffic in the morning and evening and make it obvious to drivers what their choices should be. In fact, that project should be more ambitious and go all the way out to the Oranbeg Roundabout on the dual carriageway. If it started at the Oranbeg roundabout it would be 8K of Bus & Cycle Lanes as far as Moneenageisha.

Passed a queue on Saturday, must have been around 30 people at the stop in the square for the bus to Galway. I have seen people left behind there too, a standalone service is overdue. I think having used the 51 service a fair bit its probably the busiest stop between Limerick and Galway.

On an unrelated note, isn't Gort a very handsome wee town?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

There's a bus an hour from Gort to Galway. I've used this service and it's decent. 50 mins each way.

Please note that I was replying to Mrs OBumble about a specific Galway-Gort bus, not about the 51.

Sorry-not-sorry that I left out "For all practical purposes," from the start of my post.

The existing bus pretty much offers the same as the train route. A bus that did more useful things would probably be even busier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭ratracer

Is fully agree with this @serfboard . Dublin Rd inbound has been very successful for years now, well at least in getting P/T services as far as the Bons pretty quickly. That lane really needs to go all the way into Eyre Sq and also have an outbound route. City Co/ TII should be prioritising finishing one complete route before attempting another partial lane elsewhere.

If there was a P&R option from Oranmore all the way into town and out again, I doubt I’d ever bother driving in, but at present, it’s more comfortable to be stuck in traffic in my own car than on a bus!!!

For the County Co, QBC both directions through Claregalway should be the priority, as again, the current setup there is really only a box ticking effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,587 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's a pity that the Oranmore train station is located nowhere near all where all the new housing estates are being built in Oranmore. Or actually close to the town itself.

For example, it's a 31 min walk from Oranmore train station to the new Coill Clocha estate currently open/being built. Or a 20 min walk from the main street. The train station then only serves Eyre square so unless you work bang in the middle of town, it's not really worth using.

There is no PT service from Oranmore to the industrial estates.

Do many people actually use that Oranmore - Galway service daily, with the work commute being the reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭rustyfrog

The issue is more that the new estates are located nowhere near the train station, the station needs to be along the train line (obviously!).

Any talk of a local shuttle bus service? A frequent shuttle from Oranhill to the station during busiest commuting hours would be helpful, don't know how viable that would be though.

The only person I know that commutes that route cycles to the station.

A frequent shuttle bus would only be helpful if there was a frequent train to meet it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭ratracer

The morning and evening trains are very busy ( or were pre Covid19), so much so that they were uncomfortably packed, so it’s quite obvious that people do use it for commuting to work.

• Advertisement

The closure of Newtownsmith Rd is to be extended for another 3 months

Newtownsmith (L-5097): From junction with R863 to entrance to the Mercy Convent carpark

Period of Closure: From Wednesday 4th January 2023 to Friday 31st March 2023

At this stage it makes sense to close it permanently IMHO as these closures have not made a blind bit of difference so there's a public realm gain to be made which should be taken

Hadn’t you said that there was no specific Gort - Galway bus only to be shown that there was. And having a bus every hour from a town of 3,000 to Galway city is a pretty decent service, irrespective of where the bus originates?

No, somebody else said there is no specific Galway-Gort bus, please see post 6987.

In post 6992 I replied, saying that there is the route 434 with one bus.

Neither post was about the 51.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

In fairness, I've been on the 51 before and have witnessed several passengers be turned away because the bus is full. Service isn't hourly if you can't get on it.

That's a fair point. I've used the bus several times before for Shannon Airport and Limerick and have never seen it full. But I've always pre-booked and you can never know if it's going to be swamped by people at the airport or leaving Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

The city transport is a disgrace.

The transport infrastructure has had such little investment in 20 years.

All they've done is put in a few sets of traffic lights at enormous cost.

Sympathy for anyone who has to commute into or across the city regularly.

What have the City Council been doing the last few years apart from removing roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Relying on bus transport as the only method of inner city public transport is not acceptable in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,587 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Especially when multiple bus services in a row just don't show up, across multiple routes. The standard has regressed. And it was already bad.

The covid lockdowns made their timetables reliability look good, but it's back to reality now.

You'd say something if there were actually any changes made to try and improve reliability but none are being made whatsoever. Some terminal stops still don't even have real time information signs so you could be standing there for an hour with no bus showing up, and no clue when if it will show up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yup, both the 401 and 405 were cancelled at the same time last night leaving me with a choice of either waiting 40+ minutes or walking.

I've sent multiple complaints to Bus Éireann (about previous cancellations), I've received one reply which, after confirming my bus was cancelled due to a shortage of drivers, they've said this :

"I can assure you that our AVL supervisors are continuing to monitor this route. Every effort is being made to ensure our services are operating as per scheduled timetable. As mentioned we are currently training additional drivers for our city services and to date the number of cancellations have decreased. Once again please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused on this occasion. Thank you for bringing this to our attention."

So basically, we know it was cancelled, but we're not really going to do anything about it.

• Advertisement

"Steel wheels good, rubber wheels bad" bullsh1t.

Any under-resourced public transport will perform poorly - irrespective of what it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement