Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I've seen some of his supporters try argue that this shows Sweeney was trying to extort Musk, totally ignoring that Musk made the initial contact and offer and Sweeney made a perfectly reasonable counter offer. The excuses for his childish behavior will never end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I saw some ridiculous excuses and takes on this situation. The simple truth is if musk defecated on their door step they’d stick it on their fridge and take a selfie with it. Some people are just too far gone in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭McFly85

Well I would say it’s you redefining parameters, making it sound like Twitter was just banning accounts depending on speech it “didn’t like”, and by extension framing Musks recent actions as sort of business as usual, rather than saying twitter would ban accounts that violated the terms of service, and usually after repeated violations too - and Musk hasn’t a clue what he’s doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Where are the Musk supporters?

All I see are a few posters who are pushing back on the hysterics of the usual bunch...one poster even tried to allude to a Musk/Putin alliance on here, if that's not an over reaction to a Billionaire, who is probably a thundering prat, who simply made a s##t decision then I don't know what is?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You can have any colour you like as long as its black?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭JohnJoFitz

I'd say Musk supporters are few and far between. Its childish stuff calling posters "Musk fans/supporters/fanboys etc", but he really seems to have upset the luvvies so fair play to him on that account, - Note that doesn't make me a fan - I couldn't care less if he is begging on the street by the New Year.

Basically anyone who is not weeping and wailing about the nasty billionaire who stole their beloved virtue signaling platform is a "Musk fan".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Trump and Musk are basically the same grifting character, there is absolutely no shock that those who are taken in by one are also taken in by the other.

Lol.

Very good. Get people to do the work for you. Very "billionaire" way of thinking 😂

You could just have a look over the last 10 pages or less and see who's been sticking up for the heartless moron and who hasn't.

"Pushing back" get in the sea 🤣

It's a mad phenomenon that Twitter has played a huge part in creating. People can't think straight anymore, it's only a matter of time before those of us who are simply interested in what is currently happening in twitter are called Anti Vax/Far Right/Conspiracy theorists or some such, invariably by a poster with a long history of hysterics!! You can tell, how many have spent time on twitter over the years. It's not a healthy place to be spending time, the fact it hasn't been profitable for most of it's life should be ringing alarm bells in twitter users...but apparently not tho!!

Do you think trying to link Musk with Putin is a little hysterical?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

In fairness, he did it himself a few weeks ago when he presented Putin's plan for ending the war

There are plenty in here who have been defending him over the course of the thread, from saying how much of an amazing businessman he’s been to how he was going to bring free speech back to twitter.

I mean, we’re in a thread that is specifically about Elon Musk and how he runs Twitter. Coming in here to complain about what posters are saying about Elon comes across as an implicit show of support for him at least.

I believe it was his suggestions for ending the war, and it was a poll...which I agree, could be construed as some kind association, but it could also be a bit of a stretch. I mean, his ego does seem big enough to think he could play a part in ending a war!!!

The guy doesn't come across like an impressive individual, my only memory of him when when he smashed the window on his new unbreakable glass.

But it is a bit much to suggest his is working with Putin. I'm sorry, but it is, I'm losing count on the amount of people who are accused of being a Russian "puppet", I really am!!

I' sorry, I don't agree with the premise of your argument.

He is a wealthy guy. An unpleasant one, but you won't meet too many wealthy guys (in the billionaire bracket) who aren't unpleasant underneath it all.

So while I certainly am interested in what is happening in Twitter currently, and it's implications across the digital media sphere, that does not make anything other than a curious onlooker. The difficulty is there is a real story here in Twitter instead we get distracted by what are, to be fair, are hysterical view points.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,551 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So Musk/Twitter are now flagging any links to mastodon as "malware" 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

His fans are hysterical like one directions fans except their generally older,fatter,bitter and balder. I don’t see anyone weeping or wailing on this thread just pointing out how much of a thin skinned hypocritical little itch he is.

Paints himself a free speech crusader but in reality he’s cracking down on any dissenting voices like a paranoid despot. Seems like calling out musk for his actions not following what he says= Luuvie virtue signaller. That’s the kind of thickery that’s attracted to musk so maybe you’re a secret fanboy yourself lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

He basically spouted off Putins wishlist as a way to end the war, people are right to be suspicious of his intentions and who he might be influenced by when he is so blatantly partisan in such a situation.

I would consider most here are curious onlookers without any vested interest in Twitter itself, it is fascinating to watch a previously successful businessman publicly lose the plot in the way that he is.

And I should clarify that these posters by and large refuse to actually discuss Musks actions. They may come in and point out that links to Putin are fanciful(which I think they are), but will not say anything about how he has backtracked on so many of his original promises, how he’s losing so much money he’s burning through Tesla stock etc. If posters could be objective it would be easier to believe they’re just calling out bullshit. When all they do is try to call out other posters as incorrect or hypocritical while refusing to even engage about his verifiable lies, then I would have to say they are a Musk supporter even if they don’t flat out say it.

Ya there's a lot of validity to that, it is a sight to watch a famous billionaire make a complete prat of himself.

There is also a refusal to discuss the Twitter files also, which has much more of an impact on our actual lives. Dismissing the twitter files as a "nothing burger" is not an honest position in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,551 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,980 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

So far it's a nothing burger.

If anything it's highlighting that the previous crowd, whilst not perfect, did a better job than Musk is presently doing.

The whole Twitter file thing smacks of petty revenge, scoring cheap points with the MAGA crowd and deflecting from the current train-wreck.

Ya, I'm not sure it is tho...I mean, I can certainly understand why certain media and political entities would like us all to think it's a nothing burger, but there is evidence the company implemented certain restrictions on political figures and political observers. On what planet could that be a nothing burger, we know that the NYT or Fox are ideologically compromised, but the Social Media giants are not supposed to be. Are the files fake? If so that needs to be investigated. If the files are not fake, that needs to be investigated.

If we accept they are real then we also have to accept that there was Govt involvement in how Twitter imposed restrictions, at least that is what the files imply, if that is the case then that is explosive news. These are very influential entities, Twitter, Facebook and Google, and they have spent a looooot of money in Washington over the years lobbying politicians, many of whom rely on that platform.

"scoring cheap points with the Maga crowd" is not really a valid position to take, Musk has bought a financially failing company for $44 billion, a deal he tried and failed to get out of...to suggest he is attempting to score cheap points (whatever that means) with people with a different viewpoint to yourself is a pathetic charge to make to be honest, but, you'll get loads of folks agreeing with you here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Some wag pointed out how unusual it was that the media personalitys all started spamming the word "nothingburger" as soon as Musk started to let people dig into what was going, followed by the NPCs who parroted the word in their wake

I start to see their point

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Twitter banning people pre Musk was acceptable but Twitter banning people under Musk is an outrage?

There's references to Musk engaging in cheap point scoring since his take over but that's all Twitter seems to have ever been about its just suiting one cohort more than the other nowadays.

Ultimately the argument about social media companies being private entities that can operate as they see fit was seen as a way to end all arguments of this type previously now it's not good enough according to the people who used that logic previously.

Twitter was a platform where a particular bias was evident now that's not the case any more and that's not going to stand according to some.

To most people it's inconsequential except for those amongst us who are only able to see life through the lens of the "culture war".

Should journalists be banned from Twitter? You'd like to think not, but we're I a narcissistic billionaire who owned such a platform and journalists were using that platform to share my personal information I'd probably be banning them too.

You can't expect to behave like that and continue to use the platform and we're it some MAGA hat wearing Trump supporters being banned under the previous owners there'd be nothing but positive comments about it here and elsewhere.

Musk is I'm sure every bit as unpleasant as we'd all like to believe a billionaire might be but it's odd how upset people are getting about Twitter when the solution is to just stop using it which seems to be beyond a lot of the people going out of their way to voice their displeasure with Musk owning it.

To me it seems like some people just want their echo chamber back, they want their own brand of punitive bannings and censorship but won't stand for a different flavour of the same that doesn't favour them.

Time to grow up and move on. If you don't want to support Twitter stop using it, it's as simple as that.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

As far as Govt involvement, Biden wasn't in power when requests were made. Trump admin were in power and made similar requests that were granted yet the clear attempt to twist the narrative by Musk is to attack his enemies on the left. He won't release all the files to reporters who he didnt self select is a clear sign he is hiding things, while also threatening his staff if they leak anything.

I don't believe they were but even if it is true, why are social media giants 'not supposed to be' ideologically compromised? They can run their business however they want - just like Musk is clearly doing since he was forced to buy twitter.

It is a complete nothing burger.

It’s possible he’s using coup de grâce in the Del Boy Trotter school French context.

I’ve heard a few people using that phrase in business jargon contexts, talking about their own company and assuming it had some positive meaning rather than they want to euthanise a half dead brand.

Journalists were banned for reporting the news. Doing their job. They never doxxed him, or gave out his address.

The Elon Jet thing is a 1st amendment right apparently. Do you think Musk gets to override that, because he's Musk?

I know Biden wasn't in power. That is the point. There is evidence of bias. There is evidence of FBI involvement. I've no doubt that Trump admin made similar requests, but I don't know of any media outlets in the US that attempted to cover up the existence of a damaging laptop during a charged election cycle. The former CEO certainly hasn't voiced any concern with what has been released, and he has given evidence under oath to the contrary.

If we think of it another way, would we be happy if we discovered evidence of collusion between Fg/FF and twitter to suppress the reach of SF politicians/political supporters. I still remember the scandal when RTE "intervened" in the election of Michael D Higgins in 2011...so lets not pretend there isn't potentially a massive story here.

Emmmm... Pretty certain that there is a very prevalent anti SF stance in Irish Times/ Irish Independent and I've heard talk 😉 of how harder people from SF are interviewed on RTE compared to FF/FG

• Advertisement

I completely agree with you..don't get me started on Irish media...but media companies are not Social media companies. Social media companies are afforded protections news organisations aren't.

Advertisement