Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

You can say what you like on Twitter or Facebook about an Irish billionaire and neither company will face any consequence, but if you do it in a newspaper different story. That protection is on the premise that Social media is a public utility, like a phone, or energy.

This was an incredibly petty move. I heard the spaces interaction. He was very politely questioned about a few things by a number of journalists in a spaces meeting he randomly joined, he hung up and then seems to have removed the entire Spaces feature!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

He gets to ban whomever he pleases from his platform I guess. Just like his predecessors.

He's living rent free in the heads of a lot of people.

The notion that there should be punitive measures taken by governments against Twitter now that it isn't toeing the line some people want it to is laughable.

If you've got a problem with Twitter stop using it and stop talking about it. Move on from it.

Glazers Out!

Yeah, because the paper is responsible for hiring the people that put out content, last time I checked anyone is allowed post on Facebook/Twitter.

It's not "a protection" afforded Facebook or Twitter, it's a different beast.

In actual fact, you can sue for online defamation, and in certain cases, name the hosting bodies ie; Facebook & Twitter.

https://aclsolicitors.ie/social-media-and-the-potential-for-defamation-in-ireland/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I have no idea what law the EU thinks is can introduce on a private platform GDPR is about as far as they could go. And that just to be in the market. They can ban the POTUS with no recourse. Being on twitter for example would not be a human rights angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

It’s clear to anyone with a functioning brain that he is unhinged and unraveling at a Kanye speed. I think getting booed at Dave Chappell really spooked him. He’s probably surrounded by arse lickers 24/7 so a dose of reality was too much for him, bless. The “woke” apparently hate Dave Chappell so it’s hard to play it was the “woke” who booed him at a Dave Chappell event but reality doesn’t matter to these sorts.

This whole plane doxxing episode means he’s incredibly dumb because that account had what 200k followers, vast majority of people didn’t know it existed(similar ones for bezos,Putin etc). Now he has placed it under a microscope and it has made headlines. He brought about as much attention to something he didn’t want anyone to know about as he possibly could. People can still track his plane, the only thing that’s different now is that number will have increased exponentially. What a genius eh

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

You know twitter was instrumental in many social justice movements? It's pretty hard to "move on from it" when it was such an effective organiser for individuals and groups, all because a billionaire has a bee in his bonnet.

I don't really use twitter anymore. I requested my data today so I can delete my profile. I'm interested to see when they'll stop offering that to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

What are you talking about government interference then if you know Biden wasn't in power? This is the usual right wing trying to play victim of an imagined conspiracy monster and thankfully this time everyone is just shrugging, as they should.

I don't think there would be any scandal if a representative of Michael Martin requested RTE not display a naked picture of one of his children on their website that was hacked from a laptop.

There is far more evidence of right wing media outlets suppressing negative stories about Trump and the GOP, at times even buying stories just to bury them.

Again, I dont agree that there is evidence in the Twitter files of bias, but even if there was so what? Twitter is a private company, they can be as biased as they want - just like we are seeing now with Musk taking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,980 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Twitter banning people pre Musk was acceptable but Twitter banning people under Musk is an outrage?

Oversimplification of the issue.

Musk seems to be suspending or banning accounts based on his personal subjective views rather than strictly set ToS, rules, etc. To use an analogy, it would be a bit like a new Boards owner autocratically banning a bunch of people he/she simply didn't like.

Time to grow up and move on. If you don't want to support Twitter stop using it, it's as simple as that.

Not really anything to do with "growing up". Whether or not we like it, Twitter is very widely used as a global platform to exchange information, is used by everyone from presidents, to companies, to news agencies. It's had the power to move markets, move elections, reach billions, etc. If a new owner is going to act like a petulant child and smash the platform up, then obviously that has repercussions.

There's no immediate alternative, even if there was, would probably take a long time to switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Musk should permaban all those journalists who published his info

°°°°°

It seems so petty and pointless. Maybe it's cathartic for some people but it seems like a big waste of time.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Have social justice movements been officially banned from Twitter?

Glazers Out!

The only way I think they could do anything is create some kind of watchdog like for news. GL getting any social media company agreeing to that.

°°°°°

I can take on board what you're saying but it doesn't negate the fact that when the boot was on the other foot the people who take issue with new Twitter were happy to see people they didn't like banned.

There's almost an assumption that Twitter was some altruistic utopia pre Musk which isn't an honest interpretation of what it really was.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

That would be the EU's Digital Services Act.

There's thousands of current EU laws that govern both private and public companies. Companies operating in the EU have to abide by them, you're coming across like Twitter is a special company and laws shouldn't or can't be applied to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Twitter has always been a cesspit. The issue isn’t really that Musk is doing anything worse than before, it’s that he’s making himself out to be a champion of free speech when really he wants to ban anyone he doesn’t agree with for petty reasons.

He is 100% within his rights to do so, but he could at least be honest about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

No he didnt thats specifically why Sweeney was able to continue posting his planes info, if he had a PIA sweeney wouldnt have had access to the flight data. That tweet is a lie which is typical of that pool moron, you know how I know that? Because all his jets are still searchable on the FAA as well as other flight tracking sites.

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-private-jet-no-longer-appearing-on-public-tracking-2022-12?r=US&IR=T

Do we have a link to the relevant section on banning people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

When you're talking about boots on the other foot, it is those who are fine with or even celebrating Musk using his powers to ban people for whatever he likes who are screaming about the Twitter Files being a huge scandal.

They want to have their cake and scream victim too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭uptherebels

You mean you can't actually pick something that would actually warrant an investigation.

What hysterical posts. You don't get to hide behind dragging the thread off topic when you are clamouring for investigations

That was the Dr pushing the herd immunity nonsense? I think its fairly obvious why.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Its probably not under banning, probably more moderation or censorship:

users of online platforms will now have multiple means of challenging content moderation decisions, including when these decisions are based on platforms' terms and conditions. Users can complain directly to the platform, choose an out-of-court dispute settlement body or seek redress before Courts.

Dragging the thread off topic????? This is a thread about Twitter. I am discussing the Twitter Files. And you are accusing me of being hysterical???

Have you listened to what that Stanford professor had to say at all? He didn't join twitter until late 2021, 18 months after the pandemic was declared. Twitter implemented restrictions on him. Should we silence all professors who hold a different view on matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

cant see how these bans stands up to any scrutiny.

unless the location of planes is not public info (while in the air). are they?

maybe it is public info that plane X is en route to Y destination. but not who is on board?

Exactly it is public info unless Elon uses a PIA which he didnt, he used LADD which limits it but not entirely. Also as you say its not info of who is on board its just the planes location and his hyperbolic claims that his physical location is being tracked live are just childishly narcissistic.

Transponder/Registration information is public domain company records who owns them for example too. You can create a website and publish this without it being taken down. The issue is It can be taken down on a private company website. 1st amendment covers you for hosting it yourself and publishing it. I cannot see that protection covering you publishing it on a private platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭uptherebels

You need to start reading what I write.

I didn't say anything about you being hysterical.

You are the one who thinks that backing up your claims is somehow going to drag the thread off topic.

He wasn't silenced.

Did he change his views after joining twitter?

Try again. More reading less outrage

Having reread your post, I do apologize, I did read it wrong.

There are topics on here that attract a reaction that high degree of hysteria. The Twitter files shine a light on a particular time in 2020 that is still contentious, previously on this thread, while discussing one of those topics, we dragged the thread off topic. That is what I was referring to.

I suggest that you listen to Dr Jay Bhattacharya and see for yourself how controversial he is, he was blacklisted by Twitter staff, which has an impact on his ability to attain reach on the platform, that is precisely what Twitter does, it took action internally to do that, it poses some serious questions.

ie, Did other Social Media platforms do the same?

Did it happen in other countries, were there Irish voices suppressed? Who decided what voices to suppress? Did an external body request the blacklisting...this is what I mean by investigations, it is a reasonable position to take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

He's living rent free in the heads of a lot of people.

I don't see how holding people accountable for their actions is a bad thing, but I see this phrase all the time. It's like the person may have been a prick or even broken a few laws but their fans can't really summon the energy to defend them over it and have decided we all just have to let it go. Not a **** chance. I'd like to see Musk's name dragged through the dirt and him discredited as the narcissistic conman he is. Funny how I didn't see a bunch of people on here defending Elizabeth Holmes.

I'm guessing it won't be long before any mention that flightradar24 exists is banned from the platform. It'd be crazy if it turned out the guy who cries pedo constantly turned out to be indulging in a bit of projection.

Advertisement