Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MiSTer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Stop making me want one of these, I already lost about €150 on that one🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,101 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Noooo don't do a Ciderdude and buy one back immediately 😁

I spent about an hour and a half playing Road Rash 2 on it last night. It REALLY works well on a cabinet, id go so far as to say it plays even better than on a console with a controller and should have been given an arcade release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Inviere

High praise indeed....thinking of it now, it probably actually does work really well?!

Master of the Universe

You've to do a lot of very snappy moves if you want to knock people off bikes and make corners immediately after or dodge cars.

It actually responds quite well to the stick, moves that you probably wouldn't be able to do quite as fast with a D pad.

Some soundtrack too, lovely hearing it blasting out of the cabinet speakers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Just read on patreon that Robert Peip has completed the last planned update to his PSX core on the MiSTer for now and will move onto another core in the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Inviere

It's essentially complete isn't it? With some enhancements thrown in to elevate it beyond original hardware even. Wonder what interests him to work on next?

Had some time to skive off so on with the Genesis/MegaDrive core and hunted for a game or two for a quick blast. Had it connected via SCART on a Trini CRT.

Zero Tolerance - with the CPU speed to high = no slow down when you have multiple bad folks attacking, that was great to see/play.

Cannon Fodder - not the best version (need to setup the Amiga core with some images) but some cheats on it was great craic. Never knew it had so many vehicles to drive in later missions.

Really need to get one of the MiSTer units into a cab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Once you put it in a cab you won't really play the computer cores imo.

I was eyeballing the dual ram from Ultimate Mister in Portugal.

If any of you have Discord you should join the MiSTer server, it's relentless seeing the new changes daily.

Post edited by eddhorse on

• Advertisement

None yet but I need RAM for a second Mister anyways.

Saturn and Jaguar will probably need it.

Master of the Universe

My MiSTercade top plate arrived in the post today. I've been putting off getting one as after postage and import tax it was coming in at 50 euro for a $20 part. Had to get one though for completion sake!

Not sure if folks remember, I think it was Kerbdog that pointed it out, but one of the buttons on my MiSTercade board was actually broken - two of the four tiny pins that hold it to the PCB were gone. It still worked, but was really fragile. This top plate will help solve that as it holds buttons in place through those circular holes in the middle of the board. (In this case, it's the OSD button)

All assembled now, pricey for a simple board but really makes the MiSTercade look like a finished product. I think if you buy a MiSTercade this comes with it now.

It's not just a top plate actually, you'll see there's an extra port added on the top right, I think this is for an option remote control board that can be attached.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Just got an email from Digikey announcing that that the DE-10 Cloud Conn kit is now EOL, and this is the last time to buy one. I'm wondering if this applies to the plain DE-10 as well, and what that'll mean for the project in the future.

Master of the Universe

I would like to be optimistic and think that maybe they're about to announce a FPGA successor to the DE10?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The current setup is at the edge of it's possibilities with some newer cores at the threshold of needing two RAM modules, so maybe an upgrade isn't the worst thing to happen.

There's the text on the email for reference:

Dear Valued Digi-Key Customer,

You have purchased the following part number from Digi-Key within the last two 
    years. The manufacturer has announced an update to the part status.

*Part Affected*
    *Manufacturer*	TERASIC INC
    *Description*	DE10-NANO FPGA CLOUD CONN KIT
    *Manufacturer Part Number*	P0685
    *Digi-Key Part Number*	771-P0685-ND
    *Customer Reference Number*	None
    *Your Most Recent P.O. Number*	None
    *Status*	Obsolete
    *Substitutes*	Please click here 

The cloud conn variant is that DE10-Nano with the add-on blue-tooth dongle. I can't find any other references for this EOL declaration, it's entirely possible it only applies to the cloud conn variant since it'd be less popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Before the PSX and the (already pretty impressive Saturn) cores came out I thought we might need something with more oomph but they work relatively fine on a single ram stick. My understanding was that more power isn't that useful with later consoles as the processors just get too complicated to replicate with FPGA. So that means N64 and maybe Win98 era processors? The DE-10 price is also subsidised by Intel for education.

Master of the Universe

I decided to spend a bit of time last night and filled up my MiSTer SD card with games (up until now I've been mainly playing arcade cores and Neo Geo roms)

Put few CD based games on too as a test as I assumed they'd need a bit of work re bios configurations and all that...but they just worked straight away! Very impressed.

The random ps1 game I'd grabbed was LSD Dream Emulator, so the machine looked more like an art installation for a bit!

Really excited to give some PC Engine CD stuff a go as I've never played any of it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

If you like shooters, you gotta try Nexzr for PCE CD.

Master of the Universe

Haven't heard of that one, will give it a go, thanks!

The PCE really was a powerhouse for shooters wasn't it? I remember we used to do a bit of a high score challenge on here, had a great time with the caravan mode in Soldier Blade.

Looks like great progress on CPS3 by Jotego. That will be coming soon, looks just like fighters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

Only just at schematic level, long way to go before all custom chips have been analysed. I think he originally said this would be a 2023 goal so hopefully by end of year. It's a six game library, all fighters, ultimately it's Street Fighter III.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I wonder if the Taito F3 will be supported this year/ever. Layer Section is a grail of mine.

Developer イカビク has announced on Twitter that work on a Taito F3 core for MiSTer FPGA is starting this winter. Taito F3 is an arcade board platform that brought a myriad of fantastic games.

Creating the core for Taito F3 will be no easy or simple feat. It will take some time for this to be publicly available but nonetheless, this is very positive news that we love to read about and share.

I will start preparing to make an F3 core from this winter. My wallet is just filled. pic.twitter.com/qHpkc54XB6

— イカビク (@RCAVictorCo) December 7, 2022

https://twitter.com/RCAVictorCo

Some great games alright

Master of the Universe

Finally got my MiSTercade set up with a wifi dongle. I bought one around Christmas that didn't work and then my second one was lost in the post ... so this is my third!

It's amazing though, I'm currently FTPing PSX games over my wifi network to my arcade machine and they're all just working with zero effort. What an age we live in!

Master of the Universe

Any of you guys try out a SNAC adapter for the MiSTer, specifically for lightguns?

https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister-snac-playstation-psx-adapter/

Now that I've Time Crisis running on an arcade machine it's screaming out for a lightgun to use with it, looks to be a fairly plug and play solution.

Master of the Universe

Looks like the above PSX SNAC adapter doesn't actually work with the MiSTercade as you need an Analogue IO board, which you cannot attach with a Mistercade.

However, there is a solution! MiSTercade has a remote board add on which can connect up original controllers to the system. It's mainly for controlling volume etc, but it also has ports on the front to add original controllers. The V2 model (one on the right) even has a composite input so you can connect up a Gcon45.

Bit more expensive than the other solution, but does look a bit smarter.

I'm thinking of bringing my Atomiswave from work to home - would you recommend the MiSTercade still?

Master of the Universe

I'm an absolute convert now tbh. If it wasn't so expensive to put one together I'd have one in my second cabinet. Almost using it daily at the moment.

Once you have it all set up, the ease to update games/compatibility between cores and images and even FTPing stuff over is just so easy, it all just works flawlessly.

Was literally sitting on my couch thinking 'what PSX game would I like to try out?'

Had a game downloaded to my PC in under five minutes, turn the cabinet on, - open filezilla on my PC, connect to the MiSTer over wireless, send the game across and boom, there it is running on the machine, ready to go without issues or further tinkering required.

If I can get the Guncon45 going with Time Crisis that's going to be absolutely brilliant. Also have DDR running on it too, was thinking about picking up a dance mat for the craic :D

Guess to 'dip the toe' I'd just get the 'MiSTercade V1.2 Kit Lite' - has it been hassle to pop open the cab to hit the reset/menu button on the MiSTer, worth getting the remote board?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I wouldn't bother with the remote board unless you want to use lightguns and the likes.

Pressing player one button 1 and button 6 at the same time brings up the menu, where you can get into everything from selecting cores/games/volume control and a million other things. So really no need to go near the reset button at all.

Advertisement