Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Take one player from each province

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

What **** hole? I didnt deny they have a skill. I’m saying it’s overrated. Nothing you have said contradicts it, and the question i asked relates to it.

He doesnt look 95kg on tv. If he is, i stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That’s because he is at least 6.3 possibly a little over. I can assure you from seeing him in the RDS. He’s a big lad. Certainly no smaller than Henshaw.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Someone who does it with the regularity of penny shows that it is indeed a particular skillset of his, otherwise we'd see loads of backrowers with similar stats. His low center of gravity and ability to squirm through defenders is a very valuable skill when your 1m out from the try line. if it was easy / ubiquitous Devin Toner would have finished his career with a much higher scoring record.

the reason both don't have more caps i sbeucase 1. there are better players ahead of them and 2. there are deficiencies in their game. Penny in particular wouldnt need to emulate a hamish watson type player in his carries / game play to become more valuable. Coombes needs to work on his concentration and decision making as he certainly has it physically.

You called me hypocritical and then backed off immediately when called on it, but didn’t apologize… which is lame but whatever. It’s a weasel move at least.

I see it continues lol.

Fair enough. I disagree that that skill in itself is a really valuable one. However, i do agree with the earlier poster that Penny has a pretty well rounded game. Back row is just a very high bar to be elite.

Yea; that makes a difference. I’ll keep an open mind on osborne. He certainly has a great boot and can obviously read the game.. if you cant you dont get game time at that age.

Yeah, whatever. As I've noted before, for a supposed Ulster fan, it's highly unusual to see you posting things like the below:

Allied with posts about watching Munster's pre-season friendlies, and then a consistent willingness to die in a ditch defending Munster players for some strange reason, while taking the obligatory pops at Leinster with a good degree of frequency.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ah Jesus… this thread had been going well…

• Advertisement

I watched all of their preseason friendlies. They have young players I rate highly and they were playing. I can read a team sheet and i like watching rugby.

I’m not sure which part of that quote you disagree with? Can you be more specific?

Do you need a passport bio to prove I’m from Ulster? Or does everything I say have to be super biased towards Ulster to prove that?

You are a weasel. You don’t have a coherent argument so you accuse of hypocrisy and then slink off. Now this is your new thing. It’s pathetic and if you thought your arguments stood on there own, you wouldnt be doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,466 ✭✭✭✭phog

It's a jerk off session for one or two posters 😁

I've no interest in engaging in your nonsense.

I made the reasons for why I believe your analysis of this situation to be hypocritical in this post:

If you've a problem with that, grand.

For someone accusing others of not having a coherent argument; you're the one who's whole arguments boils down to your Mystic Meg style predictions as to who the better player is, while dismissing the actual empirical evidence that's there for assessment.

I’ve got to say that i find it hard to believe that the guy sifting through old posts like some obsessive nutcase has ‘no interest’ in engaging.

You are full of it.

You want to rank young players on how many caps they have for their province. I want to project how good they could be in the future. Let’s agree to disagree and move on.

Not like your brilliant and informative posts, eg Phog?

Someone who has posted roughly 3.5x a day for almost 16 years basically saying: "Well from where I was standing in Thomond, it didn't look like it could possibly ever be a penalty against Munster".

It doesn't take much sifting when you've been around a wet week, and the majority of that time has been trolling about Munster.

You want to rank young players on how many caps they have for their province. I want to project how good they could be in the future. Let’s agree to disagree and move on

I didn't rank anyone to begin with, you did.

I said, it makes more sense to judge these players on their actual achievements which is a combination of caps, performances, metrics (tries scored etc) and recognition (international, awards etc).

Doesn’t want to engage but keeps engaging lol.

I’ll keep an eye out for you going through my bins later, you madman… lol.

I can rank guys anyway i want. There isn’t an intrinsically correct way to do it, and I’m not a hypocrite for doing it the way i want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,316 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Province: Leinster

Players I would take:

Ulster - Iain Henderson. Leinster are developing some decent depth in the second row, but Henderson is a step above them all bar James Ryan. He'd add even more power to the pack and give us that extra boost of quality needed to handle the bigger packs in European competition.

Connacht - Bundee Aki. He's getting on a bit, but he's still pure quality. During his time in Ireland he has developed a great playing partnership with not just Robbie Henshaw, but also with Garry Ringrose. He played a lot with the latter during our GS winning season and also when we beat New Zealand. He can mould his game to suit the strengths of his outside centre.

Munster - Craig Casey. He will be Ireland's long term 9 after JGP. The former is the better player right now, but he's at his peak. There isn't much higher he can go. But to be fair to JGP, his improvement as a player since he arrived in Ireland is remarkable. He's a quality test level scrum. But Casey is still a kid and has the potential to be an even better player than the incumbent. He's very quick to get the ball out of the ruck and the accuracy and speed of his pass gives his 10 that extra split second to weigh up his options.

My picks are pretty boring. They're weighted on what Leinster need more of immediately and what they'll need in the future. Henderson's grunt in the second row would be huge. Aki probably wouldn't start ahead of Henshaw or Ringrose. But it's a close run thing and he's so good. Casey is the bet on the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,466 ✭✭✭✭phog

I've no idea where you've been since you created this account but fair play to you for the effort in increasing your post count since you're resurrected it. Though some of the posts can be as nonsensical as the one quoted. Well done 👏👏👏

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Leinster supporter

Ulster Robert Baloucoune

Connacht Cian Prendergast

Munster Craig Casey

Beirne from Munster

Hendo from Ulster

Aki from Connacht

Each one is imo the best player in their respective squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭El Vino

Mack Hansen

Dan Sheehan

Iain Henderson

What Munster probably need most is props but Sheehan's age profile and ability stand out, other provinces props are arguably an upgrade on what we have but not dramatically better. I think Mack Hansen would score a lot of tries with Munster's new game plan and finally Henderson is a Lions quality player and an addition to any team

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I thought I'd take this a step further for the craic. Imagine you're some sort of super/evil Nucifora (Lucifora?) and your sole mission is to make all four provinces equally competitive, with the power to redistribute any player to any team. I literally just threw the names randomly on the page as they came into my head but if I had been bothered to rank the players properly I'd have used a draft system to allot them properly. There's probably at least 10 players that should be swapped out altogether and a load I've missed but sure... The players don't have to be IQ/IE or anything, just currently playing for one of the provincial teams

Ulster

1. Kilcoyne
    2. Sheehan
    3. Ala'alatoa
    4. Ahern
    5. Ryan
    6. Baird
    7. Hodnett
    8. Coombes
    9. Casey
    10. Sexton
    11. JOB
    12. Ngatai
    13. Hume
    14. Earls
    15. Keenan

Connacht

1. Porter
    2. Kelleher
    3. O'Toole
    4. Treadwell
    5. McCarthy
    6. O'Mahony
    7. Van der Flier
    8. Deegan
    9. Cooney
    10. Carbery
    11. Lowe
    12. Aki
    13. Frisch
    14. Baloucoune
    15. Lowry

Munster

1. Healy
    2. Barron
    3. Furlong
    4. Henderson
    5. Murray
    6. Ruddock
    7. Penny
    8. Kendellan
    9. Gibson-Park
    10. Burns
    11. Hansen
    12. Henshaw
    13. Fekitoa
    14. Larmour
    15. Haley

Leinster

1. Loughman
    2. Herring
    3. Bealham
    4. Jenkins
    5. Thornbury
    6. Beirne
    7. Timoney
    8. Doris
    9. Murray
    10. R. Byrne
    11. Stockdale
    12. McCloskey
    13. Ringrose
    14. Conway
    15. Porch

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Munster fans doesn't think Leinster have a good young crop.

And whats the Munster spirit? The spirit that results in losing more games than you're winning or not winning a trophy in over a decade? If that's the spirit, then there are not many players who would want to "buy into" that.

Ulster - Hume

Connacht - Hansen

Munster - Any of the our exiled Leinster brothers, to save them from rugby damnation.

Post edited by JaCrispy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Irony - Leinster supporter enraged that Munster supporter doesn’t think Leinster players would buy in to Munster spirit stating Leinster players wouldn’t buy in.

Edited per mod warning.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Mod Warning: Personal abuse is against the charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

What is this "Munster" spirit? Seriously, are Munster more spirited than Castres? Or any other team. I don't understand this sentiment.

Certainly if there is something magical or otherworldly about this spirit, it's beyond me.

Loughman, Conway, Patterson, Beirne are all Leinster products. Salanoa also. Why would these lads buy into the spirit but, young Leinster players wouldn't? Would Kelleher buy into this mantra? I'm sure you would take him if he was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Where did I mention that I didn't think Leinster players wouldn't buy in this "spirit". See you didn't explain what this mythical (ergo farcical) is. If this "spirit" encompasses consistently losing games, raiding Leinster and Johannesburg for players, misinterpreting intermittent wins as new dawns and boresome rugby for a decade then I don't think many players would buy into that "spirit". But since you haven't defined what this "spirit" encompasses then it's all academic really.

If you want to define this "spirit" then please elaborate. I'm all ears.

The Munster spirit probably means something different to everyone.

There are many historical performances in the pre professional era (beating all blacks etc) but for me I think most of it comes from that team of the 2000s.

They weren't the biggest team (Irish teams were slower to adapt to the professional game) but they were a fairly relentless force with a popular game managing 10 (O'Gara).

The extra two inches they were able to find in the mid late 2000s was definitely about more than just talent and fitness and it came at a time when the game was surging in popularity hence where a lot of the talk about spirit comes from.

It's a ludicrous suggestion these days of course. There is no reason a talented player from any province wouldn't fit right in at Munster. That's not to say the club doesn't have a good spirit or culture, more I doubt theirs is any better than any of the other provinces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

How Boards is it that a fun hypothetical question has devolved into an argument about Munster spirit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The "extra two inches" they were able to find in the mid late 2000s was from having a fully international 1-10

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's delusional though! What about the Ulster spirit? The Bath spirit? Did Van Grann buy into this spirit?

The munster spirit is nonsense. Talent, competition in the squad and at practice, and relentless work ethic is the formula. Its not innate to one team.

Advertisement