Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sponsored by Your License Fee: The Late Late Show Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭furiousox

Dee Forbes living in an alternate world to the rest of us it seems, completely out of touch.

Is this puff-piece for the PAC?

RTÉ is very proud of ‘Toy Show the Musical’ and it has not distracted from our radio and television work

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/theatre-arts/rte-is-very-proud-of-toy-show-the-musical-and-it-has-not-distracted-from-our-radio-and-television-work-42226208.html

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭furiousox

Oh sorry, is it still ok to say "puff-piece"? 😆

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

language used in New York in the 1930s to describe a good for nothing. Fagg*t was the name given to small sticks in the 1500s

It wasn’t written in the 1500s, though, was it? It was written in the 1980s. What did that word mean then?

There’s nothing fascistic to acknowledge that certain words shouldn’t be used in Christmas songs and it’s well within the rights of any performer not to include it. You’re the fascist, mate, when you insist that singers bandy out words that they’re not comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭The Minister for Hardship

How do you know the singers are not comfortable with the word? It's much more likely they are being forced to pander to bullies.

Again the song is set in the 1930s it reflects the languageof place and time. The whole concept of art bypasses you in your attempt to control.

Every week you beat the same old drum. What a miserable existence. And I'm not your mate.

I object to being called that word by strangers on the internet. It's very creepy, people pushing themselves on you and being overly familiar. They should learn to respect boundaries or be cancelled.

Along comes Brian Scan early next morning, as regular as clockwork, to go through the thread like a teacher correcting homework.

That's how he gets his kicks🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

If only I could get my kicks by posting brilliantly witty comments like those I quoted.

So what's your game Brian? You make exceptionally banal comments about banal comments. If you were able to say something interesting or funny it would be great. But you never say anything amusing.

It's very strange.

Be yourself, no need to be looking for affirmation on an online thread about a light entertainment show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Because it winds people like yourself to comment and get riled up. Maybe ignore him for a few weeks and they will stop. I have commented on a comment before but during the thread. Seems strange to trawl it afterwards but all they are looking for is reactions

I find it amusing more than aggravating that there are such poor quality trolls about. I'm only replying to boost my posts number so I can post meteociel.fr charts in the weather forum to honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Did they include the following words

• Bum - slang for a homeless person
    • Punk - slang for a delinquent of some sort
    • Slut - slang for a woman who sleeps around
    • scumbag - a bad word who knows
    • arse - slang for your rear end

While that verse insults women massively with

"Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed" (in other words you have taken so much drugs your dieing)

and ends with them hoping they both die.

Oh the verus is an argument between two lovers at Christmas and they throw out the most vile insults they can think of and then they cry about why their together and the hope that they had... imagine your offended by the mean of the **** song.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Its all down to the Tubridites.....Tubridy is the King of faux wokeness/virtue signalling.....

Obsessed with not offending whilst in reality being a sexist bully (Shane Lynch/Derry girl/ticks on womens arses etc).....

Using the word faggòt in a classic christmas song offended no one until the mini Tubridy/sexpest Eoghan McDermott made a fuss.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

"Maybe ignore him for a few weeks and they will stop."

That probably wouldn't stop me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭quinnd6

It's kind of a sad, miserable world we live in when people have to over analyse everything, double check that they don't offend someone all the time. It takes the fun out of everything. Comedy and music and media have been watered down and censored to boring drivel. I don't think that makes people happy. Quite the opposite. Anyway that's what I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I’m bleedin lost here. Was Brian Scan genuinely praising our “witty” posts or deriding them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

@Quantum Erasure strange alright I was invited to something during the week and it was cancelled for similar reasons!

Either its a lie and they are just pushing them to other times because of low sales?

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It must be the covid,

______

Yesterday

Very little from people who actually attended the show, one twitter and I am not sure if they are to believed says

Quite hilarious listening to grandparents querying the CCD staff about what's happening who are just "It's RTE, we don't know!!"

Surely the staff at the CCD would know if people got sick!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I didn't watch this week Glen Hansard makes my skin crawl.

I suppose Christmas is all about children really so only right they would have him on in the run up ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Glen Hansard makes me feel ill. Feels like he WANTS to be a Bono, but hasn't the talent or the wit.

I heard about the FoNY cover... and some even declaring it worse than Ronan Keating's version. That's some feat. Whatever it is, every time it's performed on the LLS, it's utter sc*tter. Philomena Begley sang it with Shane McGowan, and whilst I commend her for using the actual unchanged lyrics (when she could remember them, that is) it was still awful. Her voice did not go with McGowan's.

I was out getting some last minute items for Xmas on Thursday (probably gonna have to get more last last minute items, cos it was damn cold that day), and heard Fairytale... in my local supermarket, uncensored. I feel like Tarantino summed it up best, once, when discussing why characters should use the slurs and racial epithets in his films, and why it was the character's 'truth'. He'd been challenged about it, but not to his face-folks went to the media to 'decry' the language he used. He spoke about it on television, and in interviews. And whilst one may disagree (as is one's right) his reasoning makes a lot of sense. And he noted his explanation, he would happily explain it to someone's face, face to face.

The characters of Fairytale, with their slurs and all, are not meant to be likable. And the language they use, it's their 'truth'...and the truth is often ugly. And they are bitter, and they are sad, and they are upset. Bryan Kennedy (openly gay) has stated he has no issue with the lyrics. And as others have noted, in the 1980s, when the song was written, the word 'f*gg*t' meant 'a lazy person, a waster. Someone of weak character'. (I'm only censoring the word because Boards won't let it through uncensored) Similar to how 'abomination' has come to take on a sinister meaning, whilst in olden English it meant 'against tradition'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Toy Show Musical cancelled because the cast are all sick??

Coming up in other news, Mary Lou McDonald says she doesn't know any monks of any order, and the dog ate my homework.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

"We'll bring you hourly updates on the dog that ate the homework-- We'll stay here all night if we have to!!!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭deezell

In the 60s and 70s the term F aggot was freely used by mammys to chastise small misbehaving young girls, stroppy pre teens, etc, but only girls. Boys were Brats.

The late late controversy rolls on, as much for butchering the song as for the censorship.

Maybe have a competition for the best alternative line

"You scumbag you maggot

You cheap lousy blackguard". No?

Maybe inspiratiobn from the obnoxious Lidl ad character ( or is it Aldi?)

"You scumbag you maggot

You cheap rotten Carrot". Maybe not

Or a different rhyming couplet altogether

"You scumbag you runt

You cheap little ...."

My favorite, topical version

" you scumbag you maggot

Fkd up by May-Hansard"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭deezell

And getting back to PC on RTE, since when did RTE call Didi Hamann, Dieter? He's Dieter now, on the captions, like your man off Kilinaskully. Is it forbidden to print the word 'DIDI' on a caption? The late Brendan Grace played 'Big Diddy' in said Kilinaskully. Word police strike again. Luders.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement