Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

But it is the fault of the competition. Gloucester can do what they did tonight because the tournament is flawed. The competition is structured that you can lose three of your four pool games and still qualify for the knockouts, which is ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

An absolute procession to be sure, but the highlight was the defensive intensity in the second half when the game was long over.

Doris is taking the piss at the moment, he's just so good.

Ngatai is a great signing.

Thought Luke McGrath was really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's ridiculous to have hookers that can do this.

Sonny Billy Sheehan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

To a degree, but the only team to get to the knockouts on three losses last season was Connacht, and they were helped by 3 losing bonus points and 3 try bonus points, i.e., competitive in all their games. Gloucester's surrender this evening means they need 2-3 points* minimum from their two remaining games, which will be away at Bordeaux (who lost tonight to Sharks and will need a win) and at home to Leinster (who are Leinster). So I'd consider their strategy more than a bit risky.

*2-3 points going on last year's tallies, where the non-Irish URC contingent (3 Welsh and Glasgow) combined for 14 total points. The 3 SA teams have already taken 14 points from less than a round and a half, so how this redistribution of points influences the eventual qualification threshold remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I know Connacht were the only ones with three losses but Connacht, Bordeaux, Toulouse, Stade Francis and Clermont all got through with one win. That doesn't scream "must-win" pool games. I take your point that Gloucester are to blame for putting out a team to be whipped, but if every game was "must-win", it wouldn't have happened. Gloucester saw Leinster away, assumed they wouldn't win, knew that winning wasn't a requirement, so took a loss before the game started. And when you can do that in the second pool game, that's a fault with the competition.

• Advertisement

I know the best player in the world plays for us, but I think Doris might be better. Every action he made in this phase was brilliant.

He has been playing at a high level of individual performance for years, but has made the step up to best in his position in Europe at the least. Don't think there's a better 6/8 around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Nobody is claiming the games are "must win". That wasn't even the case under the old structure. My point is that surrendering a game (and a team in fourth in the Premiership looking at any game and assuming they wouldn't win tells its own story, imo) will almost certainly come back to bite Gloucester in the arse. And even if they do qualify, scraping an away R16 / QF game against top seeds is all but surrendering the tournament a game or two later anyway. So there's clear signs that they just don't value the competition, compared to the other sides, so good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Flippin Ringrose didn't score! Wtf! He must be dropped immediately fron the national squad.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,629 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just home, that was one of the more entertaining 57-0s I've seen in a long time.

Leinster will certainly be happier about the zero than the 57. Their defence was incredible. Even the referee was caught out a few times at how precise it was.

Felt sorry for glaws, nothing they did put a dent in leinster. Their line breaks came from accidental actions moreso than anti plan.

They do love a good pull back to Billy Littlewoods though....

VDF standing at 9 from lineouts has become one of Leinsters most effective tactics. It's pretty clear that opposition defences don't know how to deal with him.

He's such a strong carrier that they fear him building up a head of steam from 9 and making it over the gainline from the carry. They need an extra tackler to put him down. This shortens the defensive line and a decent attacking ruck means Leinster have space to attack out wide.

But he's also an excellent passing option so he can instead throw a 10 yarder to the 9 who's acting as an auxiliary playmaker now which throws the defence into further disarray. Or he can flash the pass further out to the next playmaker.

This is a long winded way of saying that Leinster have developed another new wrinkle to their attacking strategy and it works really well because VDF is such a complete footballer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭accensi0n

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Nothing if not consistent. A few of us were talking at the game about what TRC might say. And the consensus was that because we weren’t being physically dominated that the complaint could not be that we were being “boring” and not expansive enough. Glad to see we knew what the one and only post would be without ever seeing it. I’ll never understand why someone would bother their arse with something they can never be happy with, but sure it ain’t my problem I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

A few of us were talking at the game about what TRC might say

Seriously?

It was really a conversation, just an amusing observation.

If teams don't care about their seeding in the knockouts, what can be done? They don't really care about winning the tournament realistically. In theory there should be less dead rubbers because seeding does matter. People seem to be quick to forget the flaws of the old system when you had an Italian team in your group. Meant you'd almost always top your group with top seeding. With external incentives, I'm not sure a perfect format could be concocted. Although at least with the older format, it was easier to explain.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,629 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

That flaw with them old system doesn't exist anymore

With the older format you rarely had teams shipping big losses and/or losing most of their games and still making the KOs. This format facilitates teams throwing games more than any other format that I’ve seen, because teams won’t necessarily be punished too much for it. 9 of the 12 games last week were TBP wins. Every single win in Pool A was a TBP win. In 14 games so far we’ve already had 4 absolute trouncings. After the first round we had 3 clubs on a large negative PD and 0 points on the table. And they can all still realistically make the KOs. If all you need is 1 win and a few BPs then it just cheapens the pool stages.

In the other format, you had teams that are already out throwing games and even some dead rubbers. The pool stages have definitely been cheapened by the nature of cutting from 24 to 16 teams. I honestly don't know which format is superior. In theory, the current one should be better if teams cared about their seeding but for some reason they don't. A lot of teams have no realistic chance of winning the tournament at all. Perhaps the amount of overall teams should be reduced altogether.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The home and away second round, and the amount of teams that qualify for it, makes it easier to not have to worry about the seedings.

Last year in 3 of the 8 second round match ups the lower seed won, where in the old (and old old) format usually you might have one, or no, lower seedings winning their QF.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It’s not home and away this year though. It’s straight knockout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Are you saying unless there is knockout from the very first game then the tournament is worthless? Hard to follow that point your making really.

No matter what format you dream up teams can always throw a game if it suits them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

I think the difference with this format is that it’s a lot easier with this format to throw a game and still go through.

I know it was technically possible in old format, but I can’t remember it really happening because an away quarter final was such a tough ask. So if team had enough in hand to throw a match, they’d prefer to try and push for home QF.

what grinds my gears about all this salary cap stuff, when the shoe was on the other foot and the English clubs were spending big, it was never mentioned as a huge advantage for the English teams. But now, a lot of the Jim Hamiltons of this world are screaming about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I know the feeling. Which says a lot about the omnishambles that is this format.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Just popping over to say well done Leinster. Delighted ye nilled Gloucester last night. European rugby won't forget that for a while.

Joe McCarthy made another very positive contribution yesterday. The 40 metre line break was the most eye catching moment, but his carrying into traffic was routinely excellent as well. On a few occasions he ran onto the ball at speed and made metres post contact despite running into a set defensive line.

I think he's the biggest prospect in Irish rugby right now. He has size, strength, pace and is also a technically excellent carrier. Makes so many contributions in attack and defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

He's good alright. And so physical. Gave away his customary stupid penalty though, he just flopped into the tackle area late, and then was caught not rolling away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I wat he'd the highlights. I couldn't be bothered watching the entire spectacle. Good to see Larmour back. I hope he can get a run of injury free matches.

Gloucester should be embarrassed. English rugby should be embarrassed. It's farcical and poor form. I expect Munster to wallop the perverbial snot out of the Saints, what will the pundits bitch about then? The S.A teams will be the biggest hurdle alongside Toulouse, Sarries and LAR.

Shocking state of affairs. People paid money to watch this crap. Utter shite from Gloucester. I suppose Ulsters complete capitulation to Sale will be the English leagues focal point. The tournament is not being taken seriously by some teams

• Advertisement

9 day break and off to Limerick. What kind of team goes down? Surely, some lads will be rested and with Connacht next up, that match should be targeted.

Advertisement