Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm an Independant voter actually.

But I see it everyday people talking up SF as if they are going to get an overall majority, she wanted to enter talks with both of them after the last election but no SF supporter seems to know this.

Ask any of them to name even one SF policy or what their plan to solve the housing and health crises and all you get is silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

She definitely didn’t have her normal brashness. Had a sense of going through the motions and brazening it out. At the moment SF are the best opposition a government could wish for.

The main opposition party in turmoil internally while having to try and appear ‘electable’ to enter government in ‘the south’/ROI. As to do means a requirement of higher standard of respectability than ‘the north’ /NI.

It is the most uncomfortable I have ever seen MacDonald in the Dáil Éireann, fascinating to watch

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I watched her on the telly with Pearse sitting beside her in strong and silent support . Cheered me up no end and reminded me its time to watch these guys again:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Why didn't Mary Lou McDonald contest the election of Taoiseach yesterday?

The numbers in the Dail have changed little since the general election she claimed victory after in 2020, so with this mandate surely in the interest of democracy she should have allowed herself to be nominated?

Afraid of the optics of another negative result I would say. Similar to how SF played it cagey in the last GE because they got a hammering prior at council level.

But their new electorate probably didn’t even know or care about council level. New to it etc.

At the moment I would compare SF to a taxi where one of the former occupants puked up. Now the stench will be around for a long while.

But as those ads on the telly informed me regular occupants get used to a bad smell and don’t even notice it. The question is will this happen the potential SF electorate?

I was thinking SF are very fortunate it is not a GE year. I am surprised the sitting government do not call a snap election in the new year. To see what sense of smell the Irish electorate have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I think the reason is, they have vehemently criticised FF and FG for changing Taoiseach without giving the electorate an opportunity to decide who the new Taoiseach should be. That is, allowing the Taoiseach to be decided by TDs. She couldn’t therefore credibly seek to be made Taoiseach in that very manner herself.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

The Taoiseach is elected by the Dail. Michael Martin's mandate was as legitimate as any who served before, and Varadkar's mandate today is just the same.

That point has been conveniently ignored, or misunderstood, by those who are new to this democracy lark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

the ones on here never, ever answer the question though.

Which of FG or FF will they be happy for SF to put back into government following the next election, considering SF are likely to be the largest party, but the current FF/FG/G coalition likely to be the largest block again. Especially after SF's overtures to "the rest" the last time around were roundly laughed at.

SF harp on and on about the failings of FF and FG and how "change" is needed, but the likelihood remains, if SF want power they are going to have to facilitate at least one of the other 2 larger parties back into government.

Can they do that with a straight face, after they've constantly attacked and bemoaned everything the govt has done since they gained a voice?

The mental gymnastics usually end up with a facile "well FF said they wouldn't govern with FG" sort of handwaving without actually addressing the question.

Will the put FF back at the cabinet table, after what FF did to the country? Will they join forces with FG?

has to be one of them

Sinn Fein will not be found lacking when it comes to abandoning principles and policies.

Abstensionism

Water Charges

Central Criminal Court

To name a few.

The failings of FF from an economic perspective? Rally? FF and FG separately and together have been massively successful in facilitating the growth of the Irish economy. Take GDP from Ireland and other countries for comparison across a 20 year timeline 2000-2008-2011-2020

Ireland 28-54-48-85

Austria 24-51-46-53

Sweden 29-53-46-60

Denmark 30-64-58-61

Greece 12-28-18-20

Venezuela 4-13-6-2

Across a reasonable timescale FF have delivered as well or better than any mature European nation. The legacy of Brian Lenehan's courageous policies and FG careful implementation of same has been a very positive trajectory.

Many other countries dipped in 2008-10.... it was called the International Financial Meltdown after all. Yet the far right and far left populists are allowed to peddle this lazy narrative that FF caused it all... utter Bullshyt.

Meanwhile, the movements beloved by SF and PBP (Syriza in Greece, PSUV in Venezuela) have delivered nothing except more hardship, failure and division on their peoples. The renegades in any alternative to FF FG will be the 'change' that people want. Enjoy.

• Advertisement

They have to so to change. The wolf does not instantly change into a sheep. It is a gradual process. If SF went 'all in' and was honest about the flaws of Republicanism and called out those within their own Republican family (or fomly as they say 'up there') they would alienate their hard core and NI electorate etc.

I assume you mean the Special Criminal Court U-turn by SF? Before they made this move I called on it as something SF should do if they were smart.

And they did, but only because the SCC stopped focusing on Republican criminality and was now focused on 'ordinary' criminality.

Edited - I did not want to risk a thread ban based on even the hint of innuendo because of ongoing court cases which could be sub judice.

And Articles 2 and 3.

Hard to fathom, that one.

What has happened to Pearse Doherty in the past year? A lot of his angry energy seems to have disappeared. He's still a very competent media communicator, but there's just no passion there these days. Is it just "head office" telling him to calm down with the paper waving and finger pointing in the Dáil, or is it something more? He's starting to display attributes that one would associate with the O Cuív wing of FF. Which is a grandfathered wing in FF these days.

Pascal Donohoe is what happened to Pearse Doherty.

Pearse is able to shout plenty, but his lack of intellectual depth or education has been badly exposed by the much superior Donohoe

I am not sure that “passion” is the most desirable attribute for a minister for finance.

If SF are to go into coalition then I can't see Pearse being "top dog" for the MoF portfolio. He doesn't have the chops needed for it. EoB will probably be in the equation, but he's always in danger of disappearing up his own hole and getting philosophical when it comes to the reality of managing the financial realities of a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

what is this this bash sin fein club??? as if finna fail and finna gael dont do just as bad or worser

If SF want to lead government in the ROI they have to be held to a higher standard of statesmanship than they previously have been accustomed to.

Up until now they have been ‘getting away with it’ as NI is a phenomenon where there does not have to show real accountability.

If SF start showing accountability and behaving like a normal political party - then maybe they will start getting some credit.

There are are a number of simple signs that SF have not matured as an ordinary political party yet

1) Refusal to say the name of either state they represent- Why? Irish political parties grew out of that in about the 40’s when they stopped referring to NI as the ‘6 counties’.

2) No independent thinking - within SF they all vote en bloc in Dublin City Council against housing developments. No other party votes en bloc like this except SF. Why?

3) Republican triumphalist Rhetoric - cliched myopic songs- and flag waving is still strong in SF. The cartoon Republicans I call it. They have not grown out out this yet. Why?

-

You say that FF/FG have done ‘worser’’ how? Whether you like both parties or not. Under both there has been a steady ship since the founding of the Free State/ROI.

Which has seen the most stable governance and political ‘middle of the road’ many other European countries can only dream of.

At the moment Ireland is a main player in the EU despite its size. Exerting great soft power with support from the EU. Also Ireland is a vibrant country which attracts FDI tech giants with plenty of opportunity and the future looks bright.

Once SF split much of what the ROI became was done without them. While the ROI was becoming a small state joining Europe and growing- what were SF at?

In that time SF were sending NI into the dark ages. And not only that saw the apparatus of my country the ROI- as ‘legitimate targets’.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

the Doc and a few others in Sf do have not as much interest in politics as people might think. Plenty of Sf members were shoved into politics by the 'head office' they suit the voter bases in various places .ie young and jumpy. lots of boredom in some Sf TD's faces if one was to look closely. as for De'Cuiv, an old guy hanging on to past glories if ever there was one.

Dan.

Makes you wonder about the cabinet after the next election. Assuming it's SF, PBP, and Independents plus breakaway Greens what will it look like? Based on the current TD's

Taoiseach - Mary Lou McDonald

Tanaiste and Enterprise- Pearse Doherty

Finance- David Cullinane

Public Expenditure and reform- Aengus OSnodaigh

Health- Louise O'Reilly

Foreign Affairs- Chris Andrews

Transport- Verona Murphy

Environment- Nessa Hourigan

Housing- Eoin O Broin

Social protection- Paul Murphy

Children and Equality - Kathlenn Funcheon

Defence - Martin Kenny

Justice- Pa Daly

Education - Donnacha O'Laoghaire

Higher education- Mairead Farrell

Rural and Community Development - Catherine Connolly

Agriculture- Michael Fitzmaurice

Tourism and sport- Michael Healy Rae

Re-unification minister- Matt Carthy

Can't wait to see how it works out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

finna fail and finna gael are crooks took loads of money from bankers and developers no housing no health no education theres nothing for people thats why all the young people are emmergrating people keep bring up the past what good is that sinn fein now are ready to take over health housing education theyll sort it out if we look after them in the election

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Politicians are like nappys.

Change them regularly for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Christ almighty. What a horrific line-up of incompetents and idiots.

True there is always corruption in politics as SF well know from their own circles (Tom McFeely - Slab Murphy etc) I don’t condone any corruption or wrongdoing but I am happy when it has been resolved through the proper channels.

You will note all the issues I raised in my previous post are simple CURRENT issues I have with SF - that are permitted to be discussed. Simple questions.

But SF’s problems stem from much deeper issues, some of which I cannot go into for legal reasons. And many other issues specific to flawed Republicanism. How many other parties can you say that of?

SF would never ‘give’ money to banks they prefer to rob them historically. Which is not a good economic strategic plan.To make an economy grow business is important. It means more growth and prosperity.

I am not saying this Irish state is perfect, the health system and so on. But it is a damn sight better than countries like America for instance.

But to try and paint the current government as corrupt in some way is glib beyond belief.

Especially when the very party doing the painting is riddled with issues of shady historical past, and an equally shady current one.

Just on another point you spelt both FF and FG incorrectly. A good ‘soldier’ like yourself should know it is ‘Fianna’ Fail and ‘Fine’ Gael.

But I suppose you will blame that on this Government- somehow as well? However, when/if SF get education it will be grand?

-

On your point about emigration. Ireland has had a positive net migration- more people arriving than leaving. In fact the ROI population has hit a 15 year high.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Another thing about Sinn Fein which is strange for a Democratic Party. No leadership election or leadership heave for 40 years. It must be unprecedented in political parties. Not healthy for the party, not healthy for democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I know I've asked here before but has anyone yet published a credible & accepted history of the current Sinn Féin? Even basic facts like when they were founded, where they were founded, why they were founded and by whom? Have their ideas and policies developed? Are there core ideologies that have never changed?

If you want to look forward, you need to know where you come from. But even for someone who lived through the Troubles, the above basic facts seem vague & fuzzy.

Brian Feeney 100 turbulent years of SF only published in 2002 though. Before many a major political u-turn - EU etc

Here is one on the more recent SF published 2015

The writer of the above Deaglán de Breadún wrote for ‘The Irish News’ though so I am not sure how unbiased it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

David Cullinane as minister for finance? David 'We broke the free state' Cullinane? There's no way a moron like that should be let near the country's finances.

Surely this is a tongue in cheek joke by you? That ministerial line up alone surely shows the caliber of TD Sinn Fein have? And would hopefully ward off anyone voting for them. Only way they get in is in coalition with FF. And I can't see that happening with Micheal Martin at the helm.

Paul Murphy a cabinet minister? You must be joking. That communist has no interest in doing anything other than hurling from the ditch.

Re-Unification minister? I'm pro UI but that's another crackpot idea. There hasn't even been a border poll yet, or even a hint that one may happen. I think the term you're looking for is minister for foreign affairs.

Michael Fitzmaurice as minister for Agriculture with Nessa Hourigan as minister for the environment? This government wouldn't last a week! Do you think those 2 could align on agricultural emissions reductions.

Crazy stuff.

Shure let them at it seems to be the thinking. Shure let them at it.

• Advertisement

It wouldn't be so tragic if Mary Lou and Eoin didn't spend so much time being privately educated down in their fancy auld schools.

Advertisement